ADVERTISEMENT

Robot does box jumps and back flip...

I remember just a few years ago when they were just trying to make robots climb stairs. They'd get about 2 steps up and fall straight backwards to the ground.

They've come a long way in a short time. Pretty amazing stuff.

Why can't we just play football with robots? Maybe make the QB's human so every games' not a 0 to 0 tie like soccer.

PlEWHB.gif

i spent way to many quarters playing this game during my youth.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Just another step on the path where people no longer need to work or at the very least few will need to work.

We are sprinting towards Something and I have no idea what it is.

When a car can drive itself in rush hour traffic with thousands of variables almost everything else is easier.

In 20 to 30 years we may not recognize what society has become.

Reactions: DavidHawk324
It will be interesting to see how income is earned when those changes occur. Its probably more important today than ever for families to accumulate vast amounts of wealth.

Just another step on the path where people no longer need to work or at the very least few will need to work.

When a car can drive itself in rush hour traffic with thousands of variables almost everything else is easier.

Agreed. Let's hope some of these advances can make society better.

One thing is for sure - young people need to be educated, trained, etc. In 30 years, there may not be many jobs for uneducated, unskilled workers.

It will be interesting to see how income is earned when those changes occur. Its probably more important today than ever for families to accumulate vast amounts of wealth.

Yep. I mentioned earlier about commercial applications. If a robot can do a backflip today, I would think that within 5 years, you could replace many warehouse jobs with robots (whatever hasn't already been replaced).

Self-driving cars it sounds like are about 4 years from full realization. There is talk of basic income to replace jobs but if the rich no longer need the poor in any manner, I wonder when such a thing would ever get voted on.

Agreed. Let's hope some of these advances can make society better.

One thing is for sure - young people need to be educated, trained, etc. In 30 years, there may not be many jobs for uneducated, unskilled workers.

I read an interesting article awhile back proposing that sometime in the near future something like a universal basic income will essentially be a requirement due to all the advancements in robotics and tech. There's just not going to be enough simple labor jobs to keep everyone employed.

This is assuming we don't eat ourselves as a society before that time comes.

My thoughts exactly. When it comes to technology and advancement, NOTHING is impossible or crazy to imagine. Think back to how little there was 100 years ago. Will be interesting what the next 100 years has up its sleeve... wouldn't surprise me at all if humans were either extinct or the minority.

Yep. I mentioned earlier about commercial applications. If a robot can do a backflip today, I would think that within 5 years, you could replace many warehouse jobs with robots (whatever hasn't already been replaced).

Self-driving cars it sounds like are about 4 years from full realization. There is talk of basic income to replace jobs but if the rich no longer need the poor in any manner, I wonder when such a thing would ever get voted on.
I could see basic income and than people supplement it by doing odd jobs and likely much of it manual labor that is too random and small scale for a robot.

My thoughts exactly. When it comes to technology and advancement, NOTHING is impossible or crazy to imagine. Think back to how little there was 100 years ago. Will be interesting what the next 100 years has up its sleeve... wouldn't surprise me at all if humans were either extinct or the minority.
I think robots will eventually do surgery, after AI gets ramped up and computers observe the same procedures 1000's of times they will teach do it better than a humans.

All information will be databased and the computers will be so fast they will be able to access any and all information and calculate millions of choices and pick the best one.

Not just warehouse jobs. There are already AI applications to write books, marketing and advertising copy, etc. And if it can do something like that now, who's to say in the years to come we won't see robots defending us in court, replacing athletes in the NFL or MLB, etc. Seems anything is possible with how fast things seem to be advancing.

With the exponential growth of technology I only really need to go back to 15-20 years ago. Advancements in computing and programming have catapulted us forward. Complex problems and equations are computed in nanoseconds.

This thread sent me into a youtube rabbit hole of robotics and AI videos. This one freaked me out a bit:

Yeah or a weapon.
That's what interests me most. How long before we see weaponized robotic soldiers? We already have drones so I can't help but believe the military will look at this as viable option in the not to distant future.

ADVERTISEMENT