ADVERTISEMENT

Role of player injury in Iowa-related transfers (ingoing & outgoing)

To be honest, I'm not really worried about it - at least given the era where they started doing a lot more testing with accelerometers and whatnot.

Before that, seeing a guy like Alex Kanellis have to medically retire because of all the concussions (from practice). Learning about Tyler Sash having CTE. Before all the testing ... I would be concerned about the toll things took. Mind you ... that wasn't a fault of the program as much as the natural violence of the game itself.

Anyhow, I'm happy with all the testing Iowa is doing, all the data they are gathering, and their intention to use data-driven ideas to make prudent and responsible decisions.

Something I’ve always wondered, and I wanted to address with somebody like you. Somebody thoughtful, that conceptualized things and really ran through it… You also seem to be a fairly kind, compassionate human beings.

With that said, I love football, college football in particular, but my attitude towards the game started changing about 10 or so years ago when an early season game between BYU and Hawaii resulted in three players being carted off in the first quarter!

Of my six kids I had two boys 6-5 240 then and 6-5 190 then and they were really good basketball players but they were homeschooled and I never tried to get them on the football team. My 20 year old 6-5 is still mad about it.

He was a tailor-made TE or defensive end, and he is a giant now… But my wife didn’t like it and I didn’t fight it!

It’s a violent game and although I like it, it is an absolutely violent game!!

Last edited:
Something I’ve always wondered, and I wanted to address with somebody like you. Somebody thoughtful, that conceptualized things and really ran through it… You also seem to be a fairly kind, compassionate human beings.

With that said, I love football, college football in particular, but my attitude towards the game started changing about 10 or so years ago when an early season game between BYU and Hawaii resulted in three players being carted off in the first quarter!

Of my six kids I had two boys 6-5 240 then and 6-5 190 then and they were really good basketball players but they were homeschooled and I never tried to get them on the football team. My 20 year old 6- is still mad about it.

He was a tailor-made tied in or defensive end, and he is a giant now… But my wife didn’t like it and I didn’t fight it!

Tied in? Never heard that one.
🤣

Of my six kids I had two boys 6-5 240 then and 6-5 190 then and they were really good basketball players but they were homeschooled and I never tried to get them on the football team. My 20 year old 6-5 is still mad about it.

He was a tailor-made TE or defensive end, and he is a giant now… But my wife didn’t like it and I didn’t fight it!

Just sharing ... or is there a question in there?

Iowa's open field tackling and physicality has been good to great for a long time. A lot of that stems from the physical nature of their practices and spending time actually tackling and working on fundamentals. A lot of teams line up in shelves and expect it to just translate to the field. Doesn't work that way.
There's a reason when you watch other teams play you see offensive players run through tackles like they are made of grease.

This sounds a lot like looking for an excuse. Injuries happen at every school and unfortunately, they affect performance.

Reactions: sober_teacher
I’m not trying to be a jerk here, and I greatly appreciate the info. You just brought to the table, with that said. I take umbrage at saying somebody was focused on mental health ( I truly am, it’s still not handled well anywhere in society) that was such an asshole to so many people, white and black… That is NOT good for mental health!
Was he a Jerk? Do you know that for a fact or just hearsay…..
He was very demanding,,,,but I’ve heard people inside the program talk about some other coaches and talk about them being Jerks(Most those guys are not currently employed) but I’ve never heard that about Doyle…….I could absolutely be 100 percent wrong and i apologize if I am but there is a difference between a Jerk and someone that is demanding.

Was he a Jerk? Do you know that for a fact or just hearsay…..
He was very demanding,,,,but I’ve heard people inside the program talk about some other coaches and talk about them being Jerks(Most those guys are not currently employed) but I’ve never heard that about Doyle…….I could absolutely be 100 percent wrong and i apologize if I am but there is a difference between a Jerk and someone that is demanding.

Well, I’m pretty certain they were plenty of anecdotal things out there where he said some pretty ridiculous things to black and white players alike but again I don’t remember exactly what was said, and I’m not gonna look it up

Reactions: hawkhockey
Fair critique ... not the intent of my title choice.

I've subsequently updated the thread title! Thanks!
No sweat, it was a joke. When I first saw "emerging story" I was thinking something was brewing with the few who seem to have actual inside info here.

Reads like a lot of pseudoscience. Alludes to research, but doesn’t cite it. Talks about the “central nervous system” being activated but not specifying what parts of the CNS, the physiologic mechanisms or chemical reactions in priming.

This is an advertisement and nothing more.

Google is your friend. I picked something that summarizes the findings sorry it doesn’t meet your needs. If I had picked a more technical document then it would be met with TLDR. No winning.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Google is your friend. I picked something that summarizes the findings sorry it doesn’t meet your needs. If I had picked a more technical document then it would be met with TLDR. No winning.
I don’t care enough to Google it. You posted it, I just want to point out it’s a bad source for anyone casually reading it.

I don’t care enough to Google it. You posted it, I just want to point out it’s a bad source for anyone casually reading it.
Want the "real stuff" ... just search pubmed. Do that and you'll quickly learn that there's quite a literature out there.

Here's but one example ...

Reactions: reotto
Want the "real stuff" ... just search pubmed. Do that and you'll quickly learn that there's quite a literature out there.

Here's but one example ...
Uhhh…. I hope we aren’t ablating the sympathetic nervous system in our players chemically or surgically.

Uhhh…. I hope we aren’t ablating the sympathetic nervous system in our players chemically or surgically.
LOL ... the point was just to show that there is plenty of literature out there. I wasn't attempting to have it completely applicable to our current context.

For our discussion, the role of disease is secondary - but better understanding the role of our brain here is certainly relevant/interesting.

For our discussion, the role of disease is secondary - but better understanding the role of our brain here is certainly relevant/interesting.
I’m not gonna pretend to have extensive knowledge on the physiology of brain and body with relation to exercise. Also I did not review the sources you sent extensively.

I do have a doctorate in neuroscience and just from very briefly skimming the abstract of 2/3 of the sources you sent, I’m very confident they don’t back up these claims at all.

I’m not stating the website above is false. It’s just a really bad source of information which is typical when “selling” science and more often than not if you are selling with bad sourcing, there is probably not much merit to the claim.

I’m not gonna pretend to have extensive knowledge on the physiology of brain and body with relation to exercise. Also I did not review the sources you sent extensively.

I do have a doctorate in neuroscience and just from very briefly skimming the abstract of 2/3 of the sources you sent, I’m very confident they don’t back up these claims at all.

I’m not stating the website above is false. It’s just a really bad source of information which is typical when “selling” science and more often than not if you are selling with bad sourcing, there is probably not much merit to the claim.
I don't disagree ... my doctorate is in theoretical/mathematical physics.

I wouldn't be shocked if the whole CNS-activation stuff is a catch-phrase in the sports-medicine (athletic training) community. To that end ... I find a lot of sports-science stuff to be complete bullshit.

My son is a cross-country runner and missed nearly a year of action due to shin-splint issues. I "had words" with my son's physical therapists for failing to understand some very basic physics of momentum transfer and the role it must be having in producing excessive tibial stresses. I kept on asking why the PT wasn't trying to address issues of foot-strike, because if the forefoot strikes early enough AND if the shoe doesn't have too much heel-padding, then that should increase the duration of collision ... thereby reducing the average impact force (due to each strike).

Despite my best attempts to explain the physics to the Docs ... they just looked at me cow-eyed and confused. They could get past their own expectation that such a foot-strike is supposedly more appropriate for sprinters. They couldn't conceive that it could be useful for a distance runner.

Anyhow, they attempted to deflect me saying that they weren't aware of anything in the literature about what I was talking about. It took me a grand total of 5 minutes to dig up multiple relevant/related articles from pubmed.

You have to wonder if Iowa, in their pursuit to be the "toughest team," features too much full pads contact during their practices.

Sure seems like there have been a tremendous number of injuries this year of the soft tissue variety.
The other end of the spectrum was Frosty at Nebby. He limited full contact in practice to once a week during the season. Trev heard about it and that ended.

ADVERTISEMENT