ADVERTISEMENT

Rondale Moore officially back

If Plummer is even halfway proficient, Purdue will have one of the most potent passing attacks in the conference. Iowa secondary will have a big test right out of the gate, I expect 45-50 pass attempts out of the Boilers. We'll see what kind of pass rush the Hawks have also.

Maybe @BoilerN can give us a breakdown on Purdue's OL and running game.

I think Purdue and Illinois are the sleepers, with Debbie and NU the bottom dwellers. Purdue is everything Scott Frost wants to be, and Lovie has a team loaded with 4 year starters. B1G West will be a dogfight.

Reactions: nu2u
If Plummer is even halfway proficient, Purdue will have one of the most potent passing attacks in the conference. Iowa secondary will have a big test right out of the gate, I expect 45-50 pass attempts out of the Boilers. We'll see what kind of pass rush the Hawks have also.

Maybe @BoilerN can give us a breakdown on Purdue's OL and running game.
Ya.... So as great as the WR unit is, the Oline and needs help. That doesn't mean it's all bad. This might get a little stats feel and if you don't like it, I'm sorry. Also, not trying to prop anyone up, so sorry if I sound a little homerish.

Last year's offense and defensive starters by week 6 were under 3 years of experience in average. Freshman is 1 year and reshirt junior is 4 years. So super young. Purdue had a touchdown streak of 19 straight scored by freshman last year. The oline lost started bad. Like, real bad. Like, couldn't block nevada. Plummer was sacked 10 times vs psu. Now for the good, they started two freshman post psu and gave up 12 sacks in the final 7 games. They lost their RG who was nothing to call home about. Not sure how good the oline will be, but my expectation is good enough when facing most teams. Oline average weight, per official roster is up 10 pounds on average for project starters compared to last year. Over 300

QB should be Plummer, who showed some things as a freshman last year. We did take a dual threat transfer from UCLA. Don't know a thing about him. I expect Plummer.

RB will be sophmore King Dorue. He started most of last year as a true freshman. All things considered, he was pretty good. I suspect you will see a true freshman, whom LSU tried to flip on signing day, Tyreik Murphy as well. So talented, but young. The Purdue offense is still young. Projected starters include 7 underclassman. Not counting Moore.

Defensively? The Dline should be good. They get Neal back to go with Karlaftis who has a year under his belt. The starting Dline, according to the official roster last year, averaged 267. This year? Currently shows 293. Big jump. This should be the strength of the D.

LB's. I'll say something nice. They are experienced. Does that count? I like jalen Graham. True sophmore moving from Saftey.

DB's. Started 2-3 freshman last year and they had their moments. Bringing in a transfer from UCONN who is supposed to be pretty good along with a Juco guy and DJ Johnson. Idk how good they will be, but they shouldn't be bad.

Any other questions? Let me know. How does Iowa's trenches compare weight wise? Purdue finally caught up to big ten size?

Ya.... So as great as the WR unit is, the Oline and needs help. That doesn't mean it's all bad. This might get a little stats feel and if you don't like it, I'm sorry. Also, not trying to prop anyone up, so sorry if I sound a little homerish.

Last year's offense and defensive starters by week 6 were under 3 years of experience in average. Freshman is 1 year and reshirt junior is 4 years. So super young. Purdue had a touchdown streak of 19 straight scored by freshman last year. The oline lost started bad. Like, real bad. Like, couldn't block nevada. Plummer was sacked 10 times vs psu. Now for the good, they started two freshman post psu and gave up 12 sacks in the final 7 games. They lost their RG who was nothing to call home about. Not sure how good the oline will be, but my expectation is good enough when facing most teams. Oline average weight, per official roster is up 10 pounds on average for project starters compared to last year. Over 300

QB should be Plummer, who showed some things as a freshman last year. We did take a dual threat transfer from UCLA. Don't know a thing about him. I expect Plummer.

RB will be sophmore King Dorue. He started most of last year as a true freshman. All things considered, he was pretty good. I suspect you will see a true freshman, whom LSU tried to flip on signing day, Tyreik Murphy as well. So talented, but young. The Purdue offense is still young. Projected starters include 7 underclassman. Not counting Moore.

Defensively? The Dline should be good. They get Neal back to go with Karlaftis who has a year under his belt. The starting Dline, according to the official roster last year, averaged 267. This year? Currently shows 293. Big jump. This should be the strength of the D.

LB's. I'll say something nice. They are experienced. Does that count? I like jalen Graham. True sophmore moving from Saftey.

DB's. Started 2-3 freshman last year and they had their moments. Bringing in a transfer from UCONN who is supposed to be pretty good along with a Juco guy and DJ Johnson. Idk how good they will be, but they shouldn't be bad.

Any other questions? Let me know. How does Iowa's trenches compare weight wise? Purdue finally caught up to big ten size?

Our OL for the most part will be 290-315 range so pretty typical for Iowa. Our DL guys have wider weight disparities. Interior guys will routinely be 300+ dudes but some of our ends/edge guys might only go 250 on the lower end, but they average probably closer to 270.

Our OL for the most part will be 290-315 range so pretty typical for Iowa. Our DL guys have wider weight disparities. Interior guys will routinely be 300+ dudes but some of our ends/edge guys might only go 250 on the lower end, but they average probably closer to 270.
Ya. That's fair. Karlaftis is 270. Neal is 325 at NT. Watts is 305 at DE. Mitchell is a juco DE/OLB at 270. So seems like it's comparable.

Yikes...For some reason I thought that was him that torched us in Kinnick in '17. Maybe I was getting 2018 confused.

I think Purdue and Illinois are the sleepers, with Debbie and NU the bottom dwellers. Purdue is everything Scott Frost wants to be, and Lovie has a team loaded with 4 year starters. B1G West will be a dogfight.

Purdue, probably is a bit of a sleeper. Their schedule is favorable and one would think the injuries would not hit as severely as last year. But until they do better than .500-ish, they have to do it. They get Rutgers and Indiana as their crossovers, which is a huge break compared to the other potential West winners.

Illinois I think is a candidate for regression. The advanced metrics didn't like the Illini last year, they were 61st in the S&P+ rankings. Basically they got to bowl eligibility through extreme turnover margin in the games they won. They were improved, but they did also lose to Northwestern by 19 while giving up 29 points. Northwestern couldn't score 29 last year if they played 11 on zero. And to Nebraska as well. As of now, they are probably favored in 1 game (at Rutgers). Much can change, of course, but they probably aren't getting to 4 or 5 wins just by getting a bunch of turnovers again.

Wisconsin will be overwhelming favorite to win the West again. They do play at Michigan. Depending how the season goes they may or may not be favored. Until other teams can actually finish ahead of the Badgers in the West, they have to be given their due.

Purdue, probably is a bit of a sleeper. Their schedule is favorable and one would think the injuries would not hit as severely as last year. But until they do better than .500-ish, they have to do it. They get Rutgers and Indiana as their crossovers, which is a huge break compared to the other potential West winners.

Illinois I think is a candidate for regression. The advanced metrics didn't like the Illini last year, they were 61st in the S&P+ rankings. Basically they got to bowl eligibility through extreme turnover margin in the games they won. They were improved, but they did also lose to Northwestern by 19 while giving up 29 points. Northwestern couldn't score 29 last year if they played 11 on zero. And to Nebraska as well. As of now, they are probably favored in 1 game (at Rutgers). Much can change, of course, but they probably aren't getting to 4 or 5 wins just by getting a bunch of turnovers again.

Wisconsin will be overwhelming favorite to win the West again. They do play at Michigan. Depending how the season goes they may or may not be favored. Until other teams can actually finish ahead of the Badgers in the West, they have to be given their due.
I will add to Illinois. They beat Purdue last year in a game where it rained 2 inches from start to finish. Purdue couldn't pass it 10 yards down field and well, they couldn't run on a normal Dline, let alone 8 in the box. I don't buy illinois.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to an entertaining and close contest. This season being odd in so many ways and taking into consideration the extended delay, IMO the biggest factor could be turnovers. For that reason, I expect that the Iowa game plan will be to be run heavy and pass conservative for the most part.

I don't anticipate Petras to be slinging it downfield too much ..... quick outs to our WRs, TE over the middle, swing passes to RBs Goodson and Kelly-Martin, etc. to start. Of course, that changes if Purdue jumps ahead by a couple TDs which could happen given Purdue's explosive offense.

Our PK is All-American caliber so I wouldn't be surprised to see him pick up from where he left off last year and score another 3-4 FGs - I hope not because that would mean too many stalled drives in Purdue territory, a result that happened far too often with our 3rd year QB last year.

Last edited:
If Iowa plays with an offensive game plan similar to the USC game and utilize ISM like they did then it won’t matter what Rondale Moore and David Bell do to a certain extent. Iowa has weapons in BS, TT, NR, TG, and SL. It will be interesting to see how Petras plays in his first game when the bullets start flying.

If Iowa plays with an offensive game plan similar to the USC game and utilize ISM like they did then it won’t matter what Rondale Moore and David Bell do to a certain extent. Iowa has weapons in BS, TT, NR, TG, and SL. It will be interesting to see how Petras plays in his first game when the bullets start flying.

IMO that is the key to our season. We have a bunch of talent all over the field especially on O. If our QB can produce we can be really good.

It will be a track meet -

This year will be different; IOWA offense should be able to match anybody on the field.
- Offense of line - 3 future NFL draft picks 2021
- WR & TE - at least two draft Pick 2021

The difference is going to be the defense and special teams...

With CFB almost disappearing for us this year, I'm excited for everything with CFB this year.

SUPER happy that Rondale is back. I hope the Minnesota WR can play. I hope all the pending guys can play.

The world is kind of crappy right now. Some enjoyable CFB is what I need.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to an entertaining and close contest. This season being odd in so many ways and taking into consideration the extended delay, IMO the biggest factor could be turnovers. For that reason, I expect that the Iowa game plan will be to be run heavy and pass conservative for the most part.

I don't anticipate Petras to be slinging it downfield too much ..... quick outs to our WRs, TE over the middle, swing passes to RBs Goodson and Kelly-Martin, etc. to start. Of course, that changes if Purdue jumps ahead by a couple TDs which could happen given Purdue's explosive offense.

Our PK is All-American caliber so I wouldn't be surprised to see him pick up from where he left off last year and score another 3-4 FGs - I hope not because that would mean too many stalled drives in Purdue territory, a result that happened far too often with our 3rd year QB last year.
Purdue has a really good kicker as well. Please don't give us a kick fest.... I think, if we play a full season, it will be a win. I am expecting a good game. I'll be curious to see what the run defense looks like. I think they upgraded DC and a major upgrade to DL and special teams coach. Not a lot of field time, but lots of study time to learn the new systems.

I think you mean until Wisconsin stops trying to win and starts letting other teams like Iowa, and only Iowa, win the West, then they will continue to be the trash 3rd wheel of the Big Ten behind Ohio State and Michigan/Penn State gatekeeper of the west program that they are. And do you know why?............

Because f*** Wisconsin, that's why.....

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
IMO that is the key to our season. We have a bunch of talent all over the field especially on O. If our QB can produce we can be really good.

Right. I think that's the biggest question mark. Will we open up the offense and attack like against USC? Frankly, this is probably Iowa's most talented offense since the days of DJK, McNutt, and Rick Americanzi. Depending on how well Petras plays, they could be as good as the '02 offense, especially with the amount of talent and experience on the offensive line.

I just hope they don't go into a shell and become one-dimensional and predictable in the play-calling. That tends to happen when Ferentz is breaking in a new quarterback. Iowa is going to have to score against Purdue.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Imagine Bell in the mix at WR on Iowa right now...was very close to picking us IIRC.

It really depends on the Iowa offense. If they come to score like against USC, I like Iowa's chances. If they want to play the ball control/field position game, they'll like get boat raced.

Right. I think that's the biggest question mark. Will we open up the offense and attack like against USC? Frankly, this is probably Iowa's most talented offense since the days of DJK, McNutt, and Rick Americanzi. Depending on how well Petras plays, they could be as good as the '02 offense, especially with the amount of talent and experience on the offensive line.

I just hope they don't go into a shell and become one-dimensional and predictable in the play-calling. That tends to happen when Ferentz is breaking in a new quarterback. Iowa is going to have to score against Purdue.

Yes have been screaming about this for years. He treats his QBs with kid gloves offensively (especially on the road) until they are late Jrs and Sr. Sometimes you have to put it on them to go win the game, not just not lose it.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Yes have been screaming about this for years. He treats his QBs with kid gloves offensively (especially on the road) until they are late Jrs and Sr. Sometimes you have to put it on them to go win the game, not just not lose it.

It's frustrated a lot of fans.

Iowa over the last few seasons has been in too many 3rd and Longs to start a lot of drives. It's a small miracle the defense has held up as well as they have.

Reactions: hexumhawk
I’d pick Purdue to win outright against Iowa with Moore and Bell.
Purdue still has a question mark at QB also. Plummer played 5 games as a freshman before suffering an injury and his performance was mixed -- 2-3 as a starter with 11 TDs ad 8 INTs. Moore certainly adds a dangerous dimension. Their running game should be improved.

Iowa's secondary will be tested for sure. Plummer was 30/50 /327 vs. Iowa last year - Parker has a lot of tape to prepare for this game. Hawkeyes had only one QB sack but Purdue throws mostly quick hitters. Make them settle for FGAs as much as possible, grab a couple INTs.

Also, Iowa receiving unit is not too shabby either. Goodman could have a breakout. Petras is inexperienced but now starting his 3rd year in the program. This is a toss-up game IMO.

Reactions: ichawk24
Purdue still has a question mark at QB also. Plummer played 5 games as a freshman before suffering an injury and his performance was mixed -- 2-3 as a starter with 11 TDs ad 8 INTs. Moore certainly adds a dangerous dimension. Their running game should be improved.

Iowa's secondary will be tested for sure. Plummer was 30/50 /327 vs. Iowa last year - Parker has a lot of tape to prepare for this game. Hawkeyes had only one QB sack but Purdue throws mostly quick hitters. Make them settle for FGAs as much as possible, grab a couple INTs.

Also, Iowa receiving unit is not too shabby either. Goodman could have a breakout. Petras is inexperienced but now starting his 3rd year in the program. This is a toss-up game IMO.
Plummer is a ? In how good he can be, I agree. But in 2 of his losses, he wasn't great. Vs TCU he was sacked 3 times and had 181 yards, 1 TD and 2 picks. Vs psu he had 119 yards and 1 TD and sacked 10 times. Even vs Iowa, he was pretty good when his line held, but really bad when it didn't. He made a couple bad throws leading to picks. He grew as the year went on, but I'm going to guess his level of play will depend on the oline, which, I'm expecting to be good enough. Hard to say for certain. If it isn't, maybe that's where we see austin burton come in. More of a dual threat guy. For a freshman campaign and no oline and a rotating door at WR, I thought Plummer did well.

One other thing to mention on Purdue, I think something like 85-90 players on their team are underclassman. Could still see a lot of youth mistakes.

The lack of OOC games makes it like the NFL. Game one, boom, we got question marks at QB but this shit is on.

Gosh dang I can't wait for some B1G football.

Goodman could have a breakout.

john-goodman-lsu.png

Ugh, I refer to them as the team from the east. I won’t even say their name because of the long standing rivalry. I am glad Rondale is back so they don’t have any excuses and I enjoy watching talent.

ADVERTISEMENT