ADVERTISEMENT

Rookie QB J.J. McCarthy will miss entire season after knee surgery, Vikings say

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
Minnesota Vikings rookie quarterback J.J. McCarthy will miss the entire 2024 season because of the knee injury that he suffered during the team’s opening preseason game, Coach Kevin O’Connell said Wednesday.

McCarthy underwent surgery Wednesday for a meniscus tear in his right knee, O’Connell said at a news conference. The tear required a full repair, according to O’Connell, which will be followed by a months-long recovery process.

🎾
Follow Sports
McCarthy suffered the injury during Saturday’s preseason win over the Las Vegas Raiders in Minneapolis, according to the Vikings. He completed 11 of 17 passes for 188 yards and two touchdowns during that game. McCarthy also threw an interception.

The Vikings selected McCarthy with the 10th overall pick in April’s draft after he helped Michigan to the College Football Playoff national championship last season. He was vying with veteran newcomer Sam Darnold for the Vikings’ starting job after the team lost Kirk Cousins via free agency to the Atlanta Falcons.

ADVERTISING

O’Connell said Wednesday that the Vikings believe McCarthy will return next season to become a franchise quarterback.
“It does get altered now,” O’Connell said. “But it’s still going to be something that we have a minute-to-minute feel for, maximizing who J.J. McCarthy is. And I can be confident in that because of who he is. And that’s the reason why we selected him and made sure that we got him.”
McCarthy’s recovery period would have been far shorter if doctors had determined that his meniscus tear had required only a trim.
Darnold is expected to be the team’s starter entering the season.

Minnesota Vikings rookie quarterback J.J. McCarthy will miss the entire 2024 season because of the knee injury that he suffered during the team’s opening preseason game, Coach Kevin O’Connell said Wednesday.

McCarthy underwent surgery Wednesday for a meniscus tear in his right knee, O’Connell said at a news conference. The tear required a full repair, according to O’Connell, which will be followed by a months-long recovery process.

🎾
Follow Sports
McCarthy suffered the injury during Saturday’s preseason win over the Las Vegas Raiders in Minneapolis, according to the Vikings. He completed 11 of 17 passes for 188 yards and two touchdowns during that game. McCarthy also threw an interception.

The Vikings selected McCarthy with the 10th overall pick in April’s draft after he helped Michigan to the College Football Playoff national championship last season. He was vying with veteran newcomer Sam Darnold for the Vikings’ starting job after the team lost Kirk Cousins via free agency to the Atlanta Falcons.

ADVERTISING

O’Connell said Wednesday that the Vikings believe McCarthy will return next season to become a franchise quarterback.
“It does get altered now,” O’Connell said. “But it’s still going to be something that we have a minute-to-minute feel for, maximizing who J.J. McCarthy is. And I can be confident in that because of who he is. And that’s the reason why we selected him and made sure that we got him.”
McCarthy’s recovery period would have been far shorter if doctors had determined that his meniscus tear had required only a trim.
Darnold is expected to be the team’s starter entering the season.

That stinks.

Reminds of when Greenway was drafted by them. I believe he got hurt in a preseason game and missed his whole rookie year.

Must have been a pretty substantial tear and/or they feel him young enough to try and repair it in full.

Generally they just go in and trim the tear off microscopically and you are back to playing in like 3 weeks (I think that's what Brandon Sherff had done at Iowa in-season, but he played like 7 days later because he is all that is man).

I tore both my meniscus in high school and they went in and sewed both back down for a full repair because I was still young enough to try it. The rehab was pretty much like a full ACL though, took months.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Rumor is, the Falcons were looking to move Kirk Cousins to the Titans in a trade deal. Maybe Kirk can find his way back to Minnesota???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT