ADVERTISEMENT

Rotating Streaming Services

Urohawk

HR Heisman
Sep 30, 2001
So with recent Netflix increases, I was thinking about dropping the service. It gets more and more expensive as time goes on. I've also watched a lot of the type of content I enjoy. The savings from cutting the cord is diminishing and similar to cable TV, the price of streaming just seems to creep up.

Just curious if anyone rotates their services? Planned on cycling through them. May be at six month intervals.

Reactions: WhiteSoxClone
I don't bother, but I probably should. I'll give the tech companies credit for making it easy to cancel/pause subscriptions. Try canceling a newspaper, it'll take a phone call and a few minute conversation.

So it would be easy, I just don't bother.

Reactions: noleclone2
I cancelled my Netflix a while back. Just ran out of things I wanted to watch that I don't already own on my home network.

I recently had to replace my entire OTA antenna rig, so I now have perfect reception again. I have set my PVR to record several old timey TV shows I never watched as a kid.

I also use the free apps my Vizio streams - and I also watch a LOT of free stuff from Youtube. Hell, my YT use is easily more than YTTV outside of sports (and more than anything else I watch). I subscribe to roughly 30 providers, and I usually get an hour of new videos per day that I watch.

I'll eventually sign back up for Netflix - blow through what's new I haven't watched, then shut it down again.

I split my YTTV with my brother, so my paid for TV is now $35/month. I just don't want to spend any more than that at this time.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
I've cut way back this year. It got out of control in 2020 and 2021. Right now just have Prime and HBO. Prime is included with Prime or I wouldn't have it, but I'm thinking about getting rid of Prime too. I haven't used it to ship myself junk like I thought I would.

We share YouTubeTV w our adult kids. One has ESPN+ and Disney that we share.

We also get Netflix and HBO Max. Should probably share those.

Also have Amazon through Prime and Apple TV from devices recently purchased.

Last edited:
I have YTTV, Netflix, ESPN+ and will get Amazon back when The Boys or Jack Ryan has a new season..

If it weren't for live sports I'd be fine with free services like Pluto and Tubi.

I only pay for HBO.

Through Verizon, I have Hulu, Disney, and discover

I get most of my netflix paid for by tmobile from promotions as well as a year of Apple TV and paramount+

i was subscribed to apple tv prior and was able to able to stack my free year on the year i had paid for.

i paid by the year for disney+ as well espn+, although i should look at how much i would spend going month by month during hockey season and then cancelling vs paying for a whole year.

How do you get free streaming from cell providers? I have Verizon but have never seen anything to get streaming through them. Off subject, 5G sucks here. How is it up north?

• Haha
Reactions: fredjr82
How do you get free streaming from cell providers? I have Verizon but have never seen anything to get streaming through them. Off subject, 5G sucks here. How is it up north?

Look on the my Verizon app.

We rotate between dish network and Directv every year or so. It works pretty well. My only additional cost is a day waiting for the tech. I have had zero luck doing the call and threaten to cancel thing getting a discount. We just do the rotation.

Just saw a commercial that VZ gives out Disney with a sub. I get Hulu with TMO.

So with recent Netflix increases, I was thinking about dropping the service. It gets more and more expensive as time goes on. I've also watched a lot of the type of content I enjoy. The savings from cutting the cord is diminishing and similar to cable TV, the price of streaming just seems to creep up.

Just curious if anyone rotates their services? Planned on cycling through them. May be at six month intervals.
What increases with Netflix?

I order enough from Prime that I'd keep the service without Prime Video. Prime makes it very easy to add channels and rotate different services. Most of the time I can pick up channels for 2 months for a buck a month. I think I picked up AMC+ for $6 for the year. Wife wasn't happy that it wasn't through Prime, it meant a separate app.

You need either the play more or get more unlimited plan.

We rotate between dish network and Directv every year or so. It works pretty well. My only additional cost is a day waiting for the tech. I have had zero luck doing the call and threaten to cancel thing getting a discount. We just do the rotation.

That sounds like a real pain in the ass. Multiple dishes on your house as well.

That sounds like a real pain in the ass. Multiple dishes on your house as well.
Ehhh. I’m pretty handy. I just patch the holes. It takes me about 30 minutes once they leave. You can’t even see where it was. Then, a year 18 months later they come back. Sometimes I even see the same installer. I’ve found it saves me about 70 per month. I’m a cheap ass

You’re a urologist. You can afford a couple of streaming services you don’t maximize.

Reactions: ClarindaA's

I do this somewhat. I have a core group of streaming services I keep and there are others that I rotate between.

For example AppleTV+ I only watch Ted Lasso and The Morning Show on that service. So I subscribe to it when a new season comes out. Watch it and then drop it as soon as I've finished watching the season.

I would do this with paramount+ and peacock but I need those services to watch the EPL and Champions League which only really take a 3 month break during the summer but are otherwise on year round.

I'm not poor, so no.

Did I get the HROT response correct?

We've got

Netflix
HBO
ESPN+
Apple
Primevideo
and Dish Network is our normal provider.

We keeps it by having shitloads coming in all the time.
Is that your financial mantra about money or a message about OP's mom? Wait....I'm the OP.

73864696.jpg

I

Reactions: stout1
I also watch a LOT of free stuff from Youtube

I find myself back on YT constantly. I subscribe to Netflix, Hulu, Prime, all the CBS, NBC, etc streaming services and watch very little of them. I did sign up for YT Premium yesterday and get 3 months free. With it, I get YouTube Music. If that can replace Spotify Premium, I may start canceling a few things.

Netflix got pummeled today, and has been losing share value for several months.
The stock was most likely overvalued, but the big sell off today was fueled by the first ever drop in subscriptions. Netflix is having problems.
What do they do? There is talk of trying to market a shared / family password. Ending the practice of dumping entire seasons of series at once. Multiple tiers, including one that is cheaper, but has commercials.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/20/media/netflix-stock-drop/index.html

I am shocked that a business model that allowed for virtually unlimited account sharing is struggling to maintain subscriber numbers

Netflix is going to have to stagger releases of more good titles like they did with Ozark. I bet that gives them a nice bump next weekend when part 2 is released. And then then a bunch of cancelations the 2-3 weeks after.

ADVERTISEMENT