ADVERTISEMENT

Rothstein Projects Iowa 10th in the B1G. B1G Media & ESPN have IOWA 9th. Sports Illustrated has us 10th in B1G & 63rd Overall

Iowa's only finished in the bottom half of the B1G 3 times in Fran's tenure and 2 of those times were his first 2 seasons. Even with what they lost, it's a stretch to say they'll fall that far. If anyone wants to do a side bet of 10th I'll take it.

👍👍👍 Fran has done well. He just needs to get over the hump. Hoped that was going to be this past year, but we will keep the spirits up!

I like this team we have. If everyone improves, which they should unless injured, they will be a tough out every single game...

Last edited:
Reactions: perryhawk
Athlon Sports also picked Iowa to finish 10th in the conference standings.

E-dBgHdXEAE3A6u

I’m picking Hawkeyes 3rd in the B1G . For $5.00 and my pick or Rothstein’s pick you can get a Grande Vanilla Latte, so there’s that

That would put JBo on target to have his lowest scoring season since the one where he only played 10 games and needed hip surgery. I think he can outpace that, especially as the teams SG.
Depends on how he does with not being the primary ballhandler and how well the other pgs play.

Im hoping for a larger percentage of open looks for him off of some drive and kick and especially transition.

Reactions: Moral
They are assuming an over correction of the market so you speak since Iowa is losing its GOAT and one of the best two way players (Joe W) in the league last year.

So you can’t blame em.

But if Keegan makes a big jump and becomes a premier player in the league, PMAC makes a jump and is all-conference caliber, Joe T becomes comfortable as the starting PG, and the two bigs find a way to replace at least 65-70% of Garza’s production, there’s no reason why this Iowa team shouldn’t be in the 5-8 range in the conference standings. Team has some dudes.

Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys

Unofficial Big Ten Men's Hoops Preseason Media Poll​

Defending champion Michigan is the media's early favorite to win the Big Ten title.

By Marcus Fuller
Minneapolis Star Tribune

OCTOBER 6, 2021 — 9:18AM

With Big Ten hoops media day scheduled for Thursday and Friday in Indianapolis, the league's unofficial media poll was released Wednesday. The poll consists of 28 beat writers (two from each program), who cover all 14 teams.

Michigan, Purdue, Illinois, and Ohio State all return all-league players to put themselves in early contention for the Big Ten title.

The defending champion Wolverines and Juwan Howard were picked as preseason favorites. Illinois 7-footer Kofi Cockburn was nearly the unanimous choice for preseason Big Ten player of the year.

Below are the unofficial Big Ten media poll, preseason awards, and all-league results (thanks to Adam Jardy and Brendan Quinn).

Unofficial 2021 Big Ten media preseason poll(first-place votes in parenthesis):

1. Michigan 373 (13)

2. Purdue 373 (12)

3. Illinois 320 (3)

4. Ohio State 316

5. Maryland 269

6. Michigan State 262

7. Indiana 219

8. Rutgers 208

9. Iowa 150

10. Wisconsin 149

11. Nebraska 105

T-12. Northwestern 81

T-12. Penn State 81

14. Minnesota 34

Player of the year (votes):

Kofi Cockburn, Illinois (11)

Jaden Ivey, Purdue (5)

E.J. Liddell, Ohio State (4)

Hunter Dickinson, Michigan (3)

Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana (3)

Trevion Williams, Purdue (2)

Freshman of the year (votes):

Caleb Houstan, Michigan (20)

Max Christie, Michigan State (7)

Bryce McGowens, Nebraska (1)

First-team all-Big Ten (votes):

Kofi Cockburn, Illinois (27)

E.J. Liddell, Ohio State (26)

Hunter Dickinson, Michigan (25)

Jaden Ivey, Purdue (21)

Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana (20)

Also receiving votes: Trevion Williams, Purdue (10); Eric Ayala, Maryland (4); Andre Curbelo, Illinois (2); DeVante Jones, Michigan (2); Geo Baker, Rutgers (1); Ron Harper, Jr., Rutgers (1); Caleb Houstan, Michigan (1).

Probably correct. I do like the potential of this Iowa team, but from an outsider's perspective i can see why they picked Iowa 10th. Iowa has to have more unknown players come through to be good than really any team above it. It doesn't mean it can't happen, it's the way it is. Iowa had 2 2nd round picks last year and couldn't do better than 4th. Plus lost another starter to transfer in CJ Frederick.

The B1G media has us 9th so it seems everyone has the same perspective on this Iowa team.

Now they have to go prove everyone wrong.

I think we are going to look back at 2020-2021 and think damn, what could have been when we had Luka & Weezy, two NBA draft picks.

You don't have to search very long to find predictions that were totally wrong or those that totally underrated certain teams. Not saying that's the case this season, but let's play the games and see.

9th or 10th is perfectly reasonable for this team. Just which of those teams picked ahead of us do those who disagree think Iowa is better than? Maybe Rutgers? Probably not. I like some of the players on this team and certainly hope they over achieve, but if Fran couldn’t get over the hump last year he most likely never will.

9th or 10th is perfectly reasonable for this team. Just which of those teams picked ahead of us do those who disagree think Iowa is better than? Maybe Rutgers? Probably not. I like some of the players on this team and certainly hope they over achieve, but if Fran couldn’t get over the hump last year he most likely never will.

I think Iowa finishes ahead of the following:

4. Ohio State 316

5. Maryland 269

6. Michigan State 262

7. Indiana 219

8. Rutgers 208

10. Wisconsin 149

11. Nebraska 105

T-12. Northwestern 81

T-12. Penn State 81

14. Minnesota 34

Honestly, I can see them finishing 6th through 10th. Mainly because the difference in those spots is only a win or two and tiebreakers. Also, I fully expect bubble talk. If they make the tourney, a somewhat low seed, maybe 10th or 11th.

If they finish higher than 6th, and a good/decent NCAA seed, the whole team exceeded expectations and Fran deserves good run on COY.

Mu only expectation is to enjoy the ride. Probably some big wins and maybe some beat downs. We will have to see what happens.
I think that's a good perspective.

This is a young team....watching them develop, seeing how each individual player performs in a new role, etc. I honestly don't know what to expect this coming season (21-22)....so what I will be watching for is to see how we build and develop for the following season (22-23) where I expect the team to be competitive in the upper echelon of the B10 again.

My hopes are that this (21-22) group has a good enough year to sneak into the NCAA tournament....and if not, makes the NIT and gets a little bit of a run there as a spring board for the following season. If they can do that while continuing to improve, I will take enjoyment from the season while still hurting every time they lose and being very happy every time they win.

Reactions: Ronman
This team is perfectly suited to be like the Wisconsin teams that lose stud players, everyone dismisses in the preseason, and then somehow is right in the thick of it come late February after somehow quietly winning 8 of 10 games. A 5th or 6th place finish wouldn’t surprise me as this team is deep (even if not stacked full of first team B1G talent).

This team is perfectly suited to be like the Wisconsin teams that lose stud players, everyone dismisses in the preseason, and then somehow is right in the thick of it come late February after somehow quietly winning 8 of 10 games. A 5th or 6th place finish wouldn’t surprise me as this team is deep (even if not stacked full of first team B1G talent).
Reminds me of when Cook and Moss left.

The half wits on here were saying the remaining players were mid major talents ect.

The talent level of the players that leave the team does not have any relationship to the talent level of the players that are currently on the team.

The two things are completely unrelated.

During the Maryland interviews at the B1G media day, they had a banner at the bottom of the screen that proclaimed that the Terps had finished in the top five of the league five times in the past seven years. Well, I might be wrong, but I believe the Hawks have as well. We always seem to be underrated at the beginning of the season.

If you watched the Oregon game, or any of the late season matchups where we running a full-court press with Perkins, Murray, and Uhlis/JoeT… and you still think this team finishes 9th in the conference.. get help.

Sports Illustrated ranks all 358 teams.

They have IOWA 63rd overall and 10th in the B1G

1 Gonzaga
2 Texas
3 Kansas
4 UCLA
5 Michigan
6 Memphis
7 Baylor
8 Purdue
9 Kentucky
10 Villanova

16 Illinois
18 Ohio State
19 Indiana
24 Maryland
33 Michigan State
41 Rutgers
52 Wisconsin
63 IOWA
71 Northwestern
85 Penn State
88 Nebraska
141 Minnesota

OTHERS:

53 Drake
76 Northern Iowa
108 Iowa State

FULL STORY: https://www.si.com/college/2021/11/02/ncaa-basketball-rankings-every-team-daily-cover

Sports Illustrated ranks all 358 teams.

They have IOWA 63rd overall and 10th in the B1G

1 Gonzaga
2 Texas
3 Kansas
4 UCLA
5 Michigan
6 Memphis
7 Baylor
8 Purdue
9 Kentucky
10 Villanova

16 Illinois
18 Ohio State
19 Indiana
24 Maryland
33 Michigan State
41 Rutgers
52 Wisconsin
63 IOWA
71 Northwestern
85 Penn State
88 Nebraska
141 Minnesota

OTHERS:

53 Drake
76 Northern Iowa
108 Iowa State

FULL STORY: https://www.si.com/college/2021/11/02/ncaa-basketball-rankings-every-team-daily-cover

I think Iowa will finish 11th

It just seems to me, and I may be only imagining this, that the pundits always underrate the Hawks in the preseason polls. So I am going to guess they finish 8th or better. Not betting the farm I don't own though.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Ok I’ll play,
Purdue
Michigan
Illinois
Iowa
Ohio state
Indiana
Maryland
Rutgers
Michigan State
Penn state
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Northwestern
Minnesota
In that order not counting ties
I’ll sign up for that!

According to ESPN:

1 writer has Iowa 8th.
2 writers have Iowa 9th.
1 writer has Iowa 10th (Myron Metcalf).

All 4 had Minny dead last.

ESPN consensus:

1. Michigan
2. Purdue
3. Illinois
4. Ohio State
5. Maryland
6. Michigan State
7. Indiana
8. Rutgers
9. Iowa
10. Wisconsin
11. Northwestern
12. Nebraska
13. Penn State
14. Minnesota

The FULL Story:

Rothstein has Maryland way too high. J Bo, Sasha Stefanic, Trent Frazier, Ron Harper jr., George Baker, and Brad Davison have all been around so long they may qualify for pensions and Social Security!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT