ADVERTISEMENT

Rothstein Projects Iowa 10th in the B1G. B1G Media & ESPN have IOWA 9th. Sports Illustrated has us 10th in B1G & 63rd Overall

Things I would like to see: Improved perimeter defense. Who's our rim protector? There will be times this year that the offense isn't clicking so who's wrecking havoc on the defensive side? I'm looking at JT and Perkins with the quick feet and Keegan and Pat with the length.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
Things I would like to see: Improved perimeter defense. Who's our rim protector? There will be times this year that the offense isn't clicking so who's wrecking havoc on the defensive side? I'm looking at JT and Perkins with the quick feet and Keegan and Pat with the length.

Keegan & Riley might be our 2 best rim protectors

Reactions: perryhawk
Rothstein has Maryland way too high. J Bo, Sasha Stefanic, Trent Frazier, Ron Harper jr., George Baker, and Brad Davison have all been around so long they may qualify for pensions and Social Security!
I think Maryland will end up being pretty good. They got some really good transfers.

Murray was the best shot blocker on the team last year. I imagine he will be again this year as well.

I find it interesting when reading ESPN's take on the upcoming B1G season, every one of the contenders, including those that were pretty well set already, brought in transfers to bolster their chances at a conference title and perhaps a national one as well. Whither were the Hawkeyes? We arguably lost the most talent for various reasons. Why not restock with a talented transfer or two? It seems to work for other teams with more success that we are having. Yes, we brought in Rebraca, who, from some accounts, is having trouble acclimating himself to this level, but will that be enough to really make a difference? Signing Ash was a feel-good story in a cutthroat league.

Reactions: David1979
I find it interesting when reading ESPN's take on the upcoming B1G season, every one of the contenders, including those that were pretty well set already, brought in transfers to bolster their chances at a conference title and perhaps a national one as well. Whither were the Hawkeyes? We arguably lost the most talent for various reasons. Why not restock with a talented transfer or two? It seems to work for other teams with more success that we are having. Yes, we brought in Rebraca, who, from some accounts, is having trouble acclimating himself to this level, but will that be enough to really make a difference? Signing Ash was a feel-good story in a cutthroat league.
Iowa definitely not as aggressive as it could be on the transfer market.

Source and/or link please.

On Oct 27, during a Hawkeye Report Podcast, Tom said the Iowa big men have struggled. Tom said that Filip is still adjusting, Josh Ogundele is still developing & getting his wind and that Riley is adjusting to physical basketball at this level against grown men.

Skip ahead to the 23:50 mark where they talk about this year's team.

Michigan, Purdue, & Illinois all have really good big men. Tom said this Iowa team will miss Jack Nunge; Jack would have started at the 5 this year for Iowa.

LINK TO THAT PODCAST:

Hawkeye Report Podcast 418 – Hawkeye Report Podcast

Reactions: Ronman

Unofficial Big Ten Men's Hoops Preseason Media Poll​

Defending champion Michigan is the media's early favorite to win the Big Ten title.

By Marcus Fuller
Minneapolis Star Tribune

OCTOBER 6, 2021 — 9:18AM

With Big Ten hoops media day scheduled for Thursday and Friday in Indianapolis, the league's unofficial media poll was released Wednesday. The poll consists of 28 beat writers (two from each program), who cover all 14 teams.

Michigan, Purdue, Illinois, and Ohio State all return all-league players to put themselves in early contention for the Big Ten title.

The defending champion Wolverines and Juwan Howard were picked as preseason favorites. Illinois 7-footer Kofi Cockburn was nearly the unanimous choice for preseason Big Ten player of the year.

Below are the unofficial Big Ten media poll, preseason awards, and all-league results (thanks to Adam Jardy and Brendan Quinn).

Unofficial 2021 Big Ten media preseason poll(first-place votes in parenthesis):

1. Michigan 373 (13)

2. Purdue 373 (12)

3. Illinois 320 (3)

4. Ohio State 316

5. Maryland 269

6. Michigan State 262

7. Indiana 219

8. Rutgers 208

9. Iowa 150

10. Wisconsin 149

11. Nebraska 105

T-12. Northwestern 81

T-12. Penn State 81

14. Minnesota 34

Player of the year (votes):

Kofi Cockburn, Illinois (11)

Jaden Ivey, Purdue (5)

E.J. Liddell, Ohio State (4)

Hunter Dickinson, Michigan (3)

Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana (3)

Trevion Williams, Purdue (2)

Freshman of the year (votes):

Caleb Houstan, Michigan (20)

Max Christie, Michigan State (7)

Bryce McGowens, Nebraska (1)

First-team all-Big Ten (votes):

Kofi Cockburn, Illinois (27)

E.J. Liddell, Ohio State (26)

Hunter Dickinson, Michigan (25)

Jaden Ivey, Purdue (21)

Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana (20)

Also receiving votes: Trevion Williams, Purdue (10); Eric Ayala, Maryland (4); Andre Curbelo, Illinois (2); DeVante Jones, Michigan (2); Geo Baker, Rutgers (1); Ron Harper, Jr., Rutgers (1); Caleb Houstan, Michigan (1).

Iowa was picked 9th by the B1G media.

If we finish Top 8, we might sneak into the NCAA Tournament.

Rutgers was picked to finish 8th.

Anyone know what the heck happened to RU and why everyone is now panicking? @MrsScrew ?

Anyone know what the heck happened to RU and why everyone is now panicking? @MrsScrew ?

They lost Jacob Young and Myles Johnson to the transfer portal. Geo Baker and Ron Harper Jr haven't rounded into shape and the team as a whole can't shoot.

Reactions: Franisdaman

I've got nothing. Pike keeps saying this is the best team in years. I'm not seeing it. They have struggled every game. It's going to be a long season. 😔

Same to you and everyone else on these boards.
Thanks MrsScrew....glad to have you here. I always say on our boards, it's so early in the season...give em some rope. Teams get better, it's a journey if they can stay healthy too which I am seeing a lot of players going down already. Games are so hard and so physical, it's tough. Our conference is tough and very physical too.

PS....I watched a little bit of your guy Miles Johnson now at UCLA against Gonzaga.....great player and I am sure you would love to him playing for Rutgers would make a difference.....same with us with Nunge.....dang, it hurts. Have a great Thanksgiving......

Reactions: Ronman and MrsScrew
I'll repeat what I said two months ago.

The talent level of the players you lose has no relationship to the talent of the players you have.

Lots of teams replace good players with other good players every year.

You can't make predictions based on who you don't have.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Just a reminder on what the "expectations" were....

Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports had Iowa 10th in the B1G.

The B1G Media & ESPN had IOWA 9th.

Sports Illustrated had us 10th in the B1G & 63rd Overall.

meh..... put it on the bulletin board..... go out and play with a chip on the shoulder
It’s nuts these guys earn good money writing shit like this.....it seriously contributes nothing to the world 😂

after the loss last night to Purdue, we are in sole possession of 9th place in the B1G.

after the loss last night to Purdue, we are in sole possession of 9th place in the B1G.
yea ..... season’s not over but we definitely laid an egg last night..... still don’t much care about sports media “projections” ..... just go out and play and try to prove them wrong

that post was awhile ago by the way..... I didn’t even remember the comment..... who are you?? guess you got me 👍

So based upon some preseason prognostication, fans should have been mad last year and they should be satisfied this year? I'm not sure what the purpose of reposting this after every loss is. Are you going to repost this if the team finishes under 500, misses the tournament and suggest that everyone should be grateful that the team wasn't as bad as they said it would be? Should fans feel good about the season they witnessed knowing that the team performed as bad as expected and the projection for the following year is likely going to be worse? I'm not giving up on a more successful season because Fran still has a chance to fix his substitution patterns and give more minutes to some of the players that should be playing as opposed to the players he wants to play. If he does then just maybe the team can exceed these meager expectations.

yea ..... season’s not over but we definitely laid an egg last night..... still don’t much care about sports media “projections” ..... just go out and play and try to prove them wrong

that post was awhile ago by the way..... I didn’t even remember the comment..... who are you?? guess you got me 👍

not picking on you or anyone.

just reminding people that most media outlets saw us finishing 9th or 10 in the B1G.

and we are in sole possession of 9th in the B1G right now

Purdue is a national championship contender; we lost by 10 to them last night. And, of course, the board melts down, just like with every loss in football or basketball....

So based upon some preseason prognostication, fans should have been mad last year and they should be satisfied this year? I'm not sure what the purpose of reposting this after every loss is. Are you going to repost this if the team finishes under 500, misses the tournament and suggest that everyone should be grateful that the team wasn't as bad as they said it would be? Should fans feel good about the season they witnessed knowing that the team performed as bad as expected and the projection for the following year is likely going to be worse? I'm not giving up on a more successful season because Fran still has a chance to fix his substitution patterns and give more minutes to some of the players that should be playing as opposed to the players he wants to play. If he does then just maybe the team can exceed these meager expectations.

If you are going to be a fan of any sport, you should accept the possibility of losing any game.

The problem with Iowa fan? No loss is ever acceptable, no matter the circumstances.

We are just an average team this year. We knew that in August. There is no shame to losing by 10 to a team expected to contend for a national championship.

• Love
If you are going to be a fan of any sport, you should accept the possibility of losing any game.

The problem with Iowa fan? No loss is ever acceptable, no matter the circumstances.

We are just an average team this year. We knew that in August. There is no shame to losing by 10 to a team expected to contend for a national championship.
Cmon Fran. Iowa fans are no different than any others. I haven't seen a bunch of comments on here that suggested that this loss was unacceptable. Half of them probably had a wager on the Boilers last night. Virtually everyone (always a nut job out there) knows that they were beaten by a better team.

The complaints on the board focus primarily around Fran's handling of minutes and personnel just as they've been all season. As it should be. You're probably right that they're an average B1G team this year but fans are always looking for improvement and for the coach to make changes in what they see as lineup mismanagement. I'm in that camp.

Reactions: Bee93 and SDHawkDoc
Cmon Fran. Iowa fans are no different than any others. I haven't seen a bunch of comments on here that suggested that this loss was unacceptable. Half of them probably had a wager on the Boilers last night. Virtually everyone (always a nut job out there) knows that they were beaten by a better team.

The complaints on the board focus primarily around Fran's handling of minutes and personnel just as they've been all season. As it should be. You're probably right that they're an average B1G team this year but fans are always looking for improvement and for the coach to make changes in what they see as lineup mismanagement. I'm in that camp.

There were numerous threads after last night's loss asking things like how many more years for Fran or that Fran should be fired. Contrary to what you wrote, those, to me, would be comments that suggest that the loss to Purdue was unacceptable.

And speaking of handling of minutes, most on here bitch that Fran should stick with a 9 man rotation. Well, just 9 Iowa players played 10 minutes or more last night. And those who continue to want to see more of Perkins and Ulis, well....

30 PMac (11 pts, 4 rebounds)

30 JBo (6 pts, 1 steal, 1 assist, 2 rebs, 3 turnovers)

29 Keegan (14 pts, 9 rebounds)

26 Joe T (8 pts, 3 assists, 4 steals)

24 Kris (23 pts, 5 rebounds, FOULED OUT)

15 Perkins (2 pts, 1-5 from field, 3 fouls, 2 rebounds, 1 assist)

14 Ulis (2 pts, 1-3 from field, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 2 turnovers)

11 Filip

10 Connor (0 pts, 1 rebound, 1 assist)

There were numerous threads after last night's loss asking things like how many more years for Fran or that Fran should be fired. Contrary to what you wrote, those, to me, would be comments that suggest that the loss to Purdue was unacceptable.

And speaking of handling of minutes, most on here bitch that Fran should stick with a 9 man rotation. Well, just 9 Iowa players played 10 minutes or more last night. And those who continue to want to see more of Perkins and Ulis, well....

30 PMac (11 pts, 4 rebounds)

30 JBo (6 pts, 1 steal, 1 assist, 2 rebs, 3 turnovers)

29 Keegan (14 pts, 9 rebounds)

26 Joe T (8 pts, 3 assists, 4 steals)

24 Kris (23 pts, 5 rebounds, FOULED OUT)

15 Perkins (2 pts, 1-5 from field, 3 fouls, 2 rebounds, 1 assist)

14 Ulis (2 pts, 1-3 from field, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 2 turnovers)

11 Filip

10 Connor (0 pts, 1 rebound, 1 assist)
Nah. Most of those people wanted Fran fired BEFORE last night's game. 😃

I'd like to see a 9 man rotation with Keegan, Kris, and Joe getting 30+, Pmac getting 25, Rebraca getting 20, and Perkins and Jbo getting 20. Ulis and Sandfort get 5-10 apiece and Cmac and Josh playing only as game conditions warrant. I think this keeps the most talent with the best metrics on the floor as much as possible.

At a minimum, Fran has to fix this issue with Kris whereby he handles him like a bit reserve player that only plays extended minutes when injury or foul trouble forces his hand. That means scaling back some of Rebraca's minutes and sliding Kris over to the 3 or 4 spot to sub for Patrick or Keegan when Rebraca is in there. IMO, Patrick would be better served maxing at 25 instead of 30 minutes with his conditioning issues.

I know none of this will happen but a boy can dream.

Nah. Most of those people wanted Fran fired BEFORE last night's game. 😃

I'd like to see a 9 man rotation with Keegan, Kris, and Joe getting 30+, Pmac getting 25, Rebraca getting 20, and Perkins and Jbo getting 20. Ulis and Sandfort get 5-10 apiece and Cmac and Josh playing only as game conditions warrant. I think this keeps the most talent with the best metrics on the floor as much as possible.

At a minimum, Fran has to fix this issue with Kris whereby he handles him like a bit reserve player that only plays extended minutes when injury or foul trouble forces his hand. That means scaling back some of Rebraca's minutes and sliding Kris over to the 3 or 4 spot to sub for Patrick or Keegan when Rebraca is in there. IMO, Patrick would be better served maxing at 25 instead of 30 minutes with his conditioning issues.

I know none of this will happen but a boy can dream.

I agree that the 3 best players (Keegan, Kris and Joe) need the most minutes.

I was worried about 3 point shooting before the season began because JBo was our only known commodity. Man, has our 3 point shooting been awful lately.

Our last 5 games:

08-27 (30%) last night vs Purdue
10-32 (31%) vs Penn State
06-27 (22%) at Rutgers
05-22 (23%) at Minnesota
07-22 (32%) vs Indiana

I agree that the 3 best players (Keegan, Kris and Joe) need the most minutes.

I was worried about 3 point shooting before the season began because JBo was our only known commodity. Man, has our 3 point shooting been awful lately.

Our last 5 games:

08-27 (30%) last night vs Purdue
10-32 (31%) vs Penn State
06-27 (22%) at Rutgers
05-22 (23%) at Minnesota
07-22 (32%) vs Indiana
Yeah. It was upper 30's before this recent stretch. Nobody has been shooting it particularly well. Keegan is now the only one in the high 30's in conference and Jbo, our highest volume 3pt shooter is only at 27%. The only other high volume 3 pt shooters are Kris and Pmac and they are sitting at 31 and 32% in conference respectively. ☹️ For the season Kris still leads the team at 40% with Jbo at 36%.

Yeah. It was upper 30's before this recent stretch. Nobody has been shooting it particularly well. Keegan is now the only one in the high 30's in conference and Jbo, our highest volume 3pt shooter is only at 27%. The only other high volume 3 pt shooters are Kris and Pmac and they are sitting at 31 and 32% in conference respectively. ☹️ For the season Kris still leads the team at 40% with Jbo at 36%.

this has to be one of Fran's worst 3 point shooting teams

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT