ADVERTISEMENT

RPO?

Lester had a lot of success with the RPO in the past. Are we going to run it also?

Yes. The formula to beat Iowa is clearly to load the LOS. RPOs allow a simple pre-snap read to determine where the pass option (defender in conflict) is, and then a quick post-snap read of the defender in conflict to determine whether to hand off or throw.

During the KOK regime, you could just count "box" defenders to predict whether Iowa would pass or check to a run 70% of the time. Such was not the case in the previous regime.

Reactions: Bonerfarts
I think we'll run some. But given the fact that Lester wasn't able to work with either Cade or Sullivan in the spring, there's only some much install you can do during fall camp. My guess is we won't see a lot before the first bye week, but they'll use the bye to add some more install and RPO will be part of that. I think the focus during fall was installing the motion pieces, getting the new run plays installed, and then figuring out what certain guys can do/can't do.

Lester had a lot of success with the RPO in the past. Are we going to run it also?

I saw plenty of this on the hawk's Kid Day video from a week ago and some other recent hawk practice video. I saw a lot of QB under center during during Kid's Day but a lot of those plays turned into play action passes.

I also saw what is in the video you embedded which is QB in shotgun and at the snap the QB hands off or fakes depending on how Lester teaches it to count the players needed to be blocked, which positions need to be blocked etc. So there was a lot of runs out of shotgun and pass reads when there are too many in the box to block.

But when you see that soft corner giving up ten yards of cushion that is probably a quick pass to the receiver to that spot.

I saw Cade and Sullivan on tape doing a lot of looking downfield while in shotgun and during with the running back at the handoff mesh point. If the center counts the rushers correctly and the OLIne blocks correctly then a QB doing a very good job of his reads should result in the ball going to the correct place.

I hope it works well. The motion should help ID the defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT