ADVERTISEMENT

Rudis Podcast

Chopper25

HR All-State
Mar 13, 2014
Did anyone happen to catch this weeks Rudis podcast about Eierman? Matt Dernlan goes off about the transfer, Eierman is ungrateful to Brian Smith, who has Tom Brands developed yada yada. I kind of figured he was a Iowa/Brands hater when he didn't pick Spencer, DeSanto and Kemerer to be finalist this year. Can't remember if he picked Marinelli, but I thought it was weird how he picked the other 3 to be upset. It's crazy that the company he's so closely tied to even wants to sell hawkeye wrestling gear.

Reactions: JohnBasedow
Did anyone happen to catch this weeks Rudis podcast about Eierman? Matt Dernlan goes off about the transfer, Eierman is ungrateful to Brian Smith, who has Tom Brands developed yada yada. I kind of figured he was a Iowa/Brands hater when he didn't pick Spencer, DeSanto and Kemerer to be finalist this year. Can't remember if he picked Marinelli, but I thought it was weird how he picked the other 3 to be upset. It's crazy that the company he's so closely tied to even wants to sell hawkeye wrestling gear.
These guys are so delusional from their Iowa hate. We have just as many if not more guys progress through the years.

Dan Dennis (2nd at State & Losing Record freshman year = NCAA Finalist / Olympian)
Luke Lofthouse (Losing record freshman year > 5th Place at NCAAs Sr Year)
Tony Ramos ( DNP > 3rd > 2nd > 1st > World Team Member)
Cory Clark (5th > 2nd > 2nd > 1st with 1 arm)
Desanto and Lugo AAed for the first time after transferring
Burak (DNP > 8th > 7th > 4th)
Keddy (Losing record freshman year > 3 x AA)
just to name a handful of guys that got substantially better from when they stepped on campus.

This crap is getting tired and played out and more and more recruits are not buying this pitch from other coaches and clowns in the media.

I wonder if this Derlan douche was the guy who put the Iowa power point presentation they give at PSU when they do their anti Iowa pitch.

Something more telling than anything these guys or other coaches can spew is guys like Teasdale, Lugo, Desanto, Eirman that go see what is going on at other universities and ultimately settle in at Iowa. These guys should be the host telling these recruits coming in that don't buy all the BS these other schools will be spewing about Iowa.

They go into this holier than thou rant about gratitude and how this builds an environment of guys not wanting to transfer. Well PSU has had more than their fair share of high profile guys wanting out. More than most programs.

Last edited:
Matt Dernlan has to do something to draw attention to the podcast because he is truly terrible to listen to otherwise.

I wonder how he feels about Suriano transferring. Gross? Conol? Kerkvliet? Micic? What about Howe or Mocco back in the day? This isn't new. He has been on the side of the athlete he says. He said it over and over and over, but now that Iowa is involved he is upset.

With Eierman he says he shouldn't transfer because he got a scholarship. What one of these guys transferring isn't getting a scholarship?

He says that because he wasn't a highly touted recruit he shouldn't transfer. How is that even relevant at all?

He said because Brian Smith did everything right as a coach Eierman shouldn't transfer. Umm, he has failed to develop an RTC Matt. That is extremely important right now, and it is the reason a Olympic medalist and World Champ decided to leave the program. Its strange that he misses that point because he later states that RTCs are important to wrestlers success.

Then he is mad because he made an announcement. So? I thought you were all about the athletes rights and allowing them to get their face out there Matt?

Matt Dernlan is just throwing $hit against the wall, and desperately hoping something sticks here, but he is barely saying more than nothing. He thinks he is making a good point because he raised his voice for the first time in podcast history and uses buzz words like "be a man". He is contradicting himself. He prefaces with praise for athletes rights, and then he just rips on Eierman for acting on those rights.

Finally, Askren tries to say that Eierman doesn't wrestle in the summer which is just sour grapes. They proceed to rip on Brands for not developing kids. Give me a break.

Here is the thing; I don't mind that they talk about Eierman. The college wrestling landscape is changing and it is great to anaalyze that change, but they completely failed to talk about anyone other then Eierman. This was 25 minutes of two men crying because Eierman left Brian Smith(their buddy) and Mizzou for Tom Brands(who they don't like) and Iowa. I got absolutely nothing more from it.

Last edited:
1. While it is fair to speculate desanto and kem are finalist material you can't peg them as guarantees considering desanto may be up one weight and we know kem is up two. Lee not being in the finals is the only true upset pick made and even then he struggled last year at moments so it's not 100% unfair (even if we all know it is incredibly unlikely).

2. I thought the most interesting piece I picked up on which may bear some scrutiny is the turnaround time in which eirmann committed to iowa after entering the transfer portal. 36ish hours to make that decision implies it had been determined beforehand which could lend some credibility to rumors of "tampering" by Iowa at a time when it would not have been acceptable. I am not saying I think that is what happened, just that the timing could lead to that speculation.

3. The RTC matter is a big deal and Mizzou has not done anything to focus on that which lead to cox leaving and now eirmann. There is more to life than college wrestling and a guy like eirmann is looking at an amateur career as a legit contender. He needs to be in a place that will nurture that and iowa has one of the best RTCs in the country right now and a perfectly fit hole at eirmann's weight

4. Some may hate it but we are in an era that focuses on the individuals competing more than the institutions. I for one support this but understand that others do not. People sometimes need to transfer for one reason or another and as long as we find a way to ensure no schools are trying to tamper with active college athletes (thinking specifically through the international tournaments) then the ability to transfer as a good thing. Smaller schools just need to know that the B1G and OSU will be using the rest of the ncaa as a pseudo minor league program to help filter elite talent

Reactions: TarpHawk
1. While it is fair to speculate desanto and kem are finalist material you can't peg them as guarantees considering desanto may be up one weight and we know kem is up two. Lee not being in the finals is the only true upset pick made and even then he struggled last year at moments so it's not 100% unfair (even if we all know it is incredibly unlikely).

2. I thought the most interesting piece I picked up on which may bear some scrutiny is the turnaround time in which eirmann committed to iowa after entering the transfer portal. 36ish hours to make that decision implies it had been determined beforehand which could lend some credibility to rumors of "tampering" by Iowa at a time when it would not have been acceptable. I am not saying I think that is what happened, just that the timing could lead to that speculation.

3. The RTC matter is a big deal and Mizzou has not done anything to focus on that which lead to cox leaving and now eirmann. There is more to life than college wrestling and a guy like eirmann is looking at an amateur career as a legit contender. He needs to be in a place that will nurture that and iowa has one of the best RTCs in the country right now and a perfectly fit hole at eirmann's weight

4. Some may hate it but we are in an era that focuses on the individuals competing more than the institutions. I for one support this but understand that others do not. People sometimes need to transfer for one reason or another and as long as we find a way to ensure no schools are trying to tamper with active college athletes (thinking specifically through the international tournaments) then the ability to transfer as a good thing. Smaller schools just need to know that the B1G and OSU will be using the rest of the ncaa as a pseudo minor league program to help filter elite talent

The turn around time means nothing other than Eirmann had a damn good idea about what direction he wanted to go before he put his name in the portal and only needed to visit to make sure things passed the eyeball test. He confirmed he had always liked the program and was recruited in HS, I got the feeling he did not want to re-locate very far away. I'm sure most every guy who goes in the portal has some ideas about where they would ultimately like to end up before hand. A few might be so eager they just jump on the portal and see where it goes but most are going to have thought things out up front as to what new situation will best suite what they want that they don't currently have at their current school.

Reactions: Scryed and TarpHawk

I spoke to someone with inside knowledge of the situation and he said Eierman knew where he was going even before he entered the portal, days before he entered it. Not saying there was any tampering, but he definitely knew U of I was where he was going.

Reactions: Scryed and TarpHawk

I may not have been paying close enough attention but I don't recall much discussion about Brands not developing guys.

There was a definite implication of tampering due to the timing though.

They (Dernlan in particular) seemed to be more knocking Eierman than Iowa, IMO.

Eirman isn't a "need" for Iowa in any way, shape or form, so the need for "tampering" with him is ridiculous. We have plenty of capable guys in his weight range.

He is pretty accomplished and a welcome addition, but not like we're getting someone with multiple years left and is filling a black hole.

If you're going to "tamper" or be suspected of it from the sour grapes perspective, go after a Yianni or someone where the reward might be worth the risk, and hopefully fills a big need.

Could Eirman have reached out to Iowa prior to entering the transfer portal? Sure, all things are possible. Just because you want to play Basketball at Duke doesn't mean they will guarantee a spot for you. You better do your homework prior to leaving your current situation, if you truly want out for whatever the reason.

I would never doubt there is back door conversations in any of these situations, I would guess it literally happens all the time, but it doesn't mean there is always nefarious intent. There has to be communication no matter the situation, that's the way the world works.

I spoke to someone with inside knowledge of the situation and he said Eierman knew where he was going even before he entered the portal, days before he entered it. Not saying there was any tampering, but he definitely knew U of I was where he was going.
Then he might also know he isn't guaranteed a spot, or a dime in scholarship money, and maybe he doesn't care about any of those things. You take your chances if these things aren't worked out ahead of time.

If Iowa was truly a goal destination, then it's a "want" from him and let the chips fall where they may. It literally could have been exactly that.

Butthurtttttttttttttttttt. Sooooo many other examples of kids transferring and doing what they think is best for them in the last few years Conel, Desanto, McKenna, Mocco, Gross, even Snyder and the list goes on. But Matt loses his mind over Eirman? I can’t help but think that Matt was somehow emotionally scarred by beatings he took at the hands of the Hawkeyes. For a guy that reads and discusses all those self help books he doesn’t seem to have much knowledge of self.

Dernlan was an assistant at PennState when they so graciously accepted a transfer in from Andrew Long.

He didn’t say that was a big deal, even though it won them the NCAA title that year.

Here is one close to the Eierman transfer, Joey McKenna transferred to Ohio State (which Dernlan has a “really tight” relationship with now. McKenna transferred as a world class athlete in search of a RTC to make him better.

He didn’t say a word about that being bad! What about the Stanford program?

Kyle Conel left Kent State for Penn State but not a word about that and how that impacted the KSU program.

mom this topic, both of them are void of any intellectual honesty. Ask ren has been clear on how he dislikes Iowa and it was killing him to know his guy from MU left for Iowa.

Dernlan is all for it as long as it’s not Iowa.

That was pretty much the show.

Dernlan was an assistant at PennState when they so graciously accepted a transfer in from Andrew Long.

He didn’t say that was a big deal, even though it won them the NCAA title that year.

Here is one close to the Eierman transfer, Joey McKenna transferred to Ohio State (which Dernlan has a “really tight” relationship with now. McKenna transferred as a world class athlete in search of a RTC to make him better.

He didn’t say a word about that being bad! What about the Stanford program?

Kyle Conel left Kent State for Penn State but not a word about that and how that impacted the KSU program.

mom this topic, both of them are void of any intellectual honesty. Ask ren has been clear on how he dislikes Iowa and it was killing him to know his guy from MU left for Iowa.

Dernlan is all for it as long as it’s not Iowa.

That was pretty much the show.

It did seem like the post-college and RTC aspects were part of Dernlan's frustration. And I would say Eierman is the first true case of that. Did McKenna really transfer due to the RTC? I thought it was more about his NCAA aspirations, plus he at least still had 2 years left. Conel was a grad transfer right?

Transfer Portal will be adjusted over the years. Currently, athletes seem to have all the rights, which is good to a certain extent. I strongly support student athletes and their rights but to say anyone can go anywhere whenever they want is more than I care to live with. Here is something to consider. What if say UNI recruits, signs, and develops a 3 X AA and NCAA title contender. Then PSU reaches out and snatches that kid up to fill a hole in their line-up. Is that a good thing for NCAA wrestling, the student athletes or the fans?

Are D1 coaches still obligated to fulfill the original athletic aid agreement meaning the SA is guaranteed the amount agreed upon for the duration of career? I believe so. What if the SA doesn't develop and isn't contributing to the team and is on a bunch of money? Should the coach be able to take some/all away?

Eirman isn't a "need" for Iowa in any way, shape or form, so the need for "tampering" with him is ridiculous. We have plenty of capable guys in his weight range.

He is pretty accomplished and a welcome addition, but not like we're getting someone with multiple years left and is filling a black hole.

If you're going to "tamper" or be suspected of it from the sour grapes perspective, go after a Yianni or someone where the reward might be worth the risk, and hopefully fills a big need.

Could Eirman have reached out to Iowa prior to entering the transfer portal? Sure, all things are possible. Just because you want to play Basketball at Duke doesn't mean they will guarantee a spot for you. You better do your homework prior to leaving your current situation, if you truly want out for whatever the reason.

I would never doubt there is back door conversations in any of these situations, I would guess it literally happens all the time, but it doesn't mean there is always nefarious intent. There has to be communication no matter the situation, that's the way the world works.

Eierman is a need, especially given the fever-pitch demand for a Hawkeyes team championship by 2021. He's a proven high AA talent -- which is not something Iowa would have been expected to have at 149 next year.

I'm not taking a position on whether tampering occurred, but I will say the number of years of expected service from the transfer should have nothing to do with such a determination.

I agree with your last 2 paragraphs (which is one reason I am seldom willing to speculate on whether tampering has occurred).

Reactions: Scryed
Eirmann is the definition of a need for Iowa. Nobody was ready to fill in after Lugo leaves that is remotely close to the level of Eirmann. He was a very good pick up for the Hawks and is one more reason that Iowa should win the National Championships in 2021

Can a kid, before he is in the portal, reach out on his own to another coach? And if so can a coach field that call?

i thought this was always the case. I just thought the portal made it official that coaches can reach out to the wrestler.

Sounds like he had his mind made up for awhile now. I seem to remember that his name was thrown out on this board as a possible transfer after NCAAs. Thought it was implausible then as I did a few weeks ago because of his association with Missouri. In his case, he could have waited a year and probably would have if it was any other year than the Olympics.

Matt Dernlan has to do something to draw attention to the podcast because he is truly terrible to listen to otherwise.

I wonder how he feels about Suriano transferring. Gross? Conol? Kerkvliet? Micic? What about Howe or Mocco back in the day? This isn't new. He has been on the side of the athlete he says. He said it over and over and over, but now that Iowa is involved he is upset.

With Eierman he says he shouldn't transfer because he got a scholarship. What one of these guys transferring isn't getting a scholarship?

He says that because he wasn't a highly touted recruit he shouldn't transfer. How is that even relevant at all?

He said because Brian Smith did everything right as a coach Eierman shouldn't transfer. Umm, he has failed to develop an RTC Matt. That is extremely important right now, and it is the reason a Olympic medalist and World Champ decided to leave the program. Its strange that he misses that point because he later states that RTCs are important to wrestlers success.

Then he is mad because he made an announcement. So? I thought you were all about the athletes rights and allowing them to get their face out there Matt?

Matt Dernlan is just throwing $hit against the wall, and desperately hoping something sticks here, but he is barely saying more than nothing. He thinks he is making a good point because he raised his voice for the first time in podcast history and uses buzz words like "be a man". He is contradicting himself. He prefaces with praise for athletes rights, and then he just rips on Eierman for acting on those rights.

Finally, Askren tries to say that Eierman doesn't wrestle in the summer which is just sour grapes. They proceed to rip on Brands for not developing kids. Give me a break.

Here is the thing; I don't mind that they talk about Eierman. The college wrestling landscape is changing and it is great to anaalyze that change, but they completely failed to talk about anyone other then Eierman. This was 25 minutes of two men crying because Eierman left Brian Smith(their buddy) and Mizzou for Tom Brands(who they don't like) and Iowa. I got absolutely nothing more from it.

Very well said. Just a couple of d-bags trying to cling to relevancy

Reactions: PrairieHawk24
Eierman is a need, especially given the fever-pitch demand for a Hawkeyes team championship by 2021. He's a proven high AA talent -- which is not something Iowa would have been expected to have at 149 next year.

I'd argue that its a need right now and it would be better to have him this year at 141 vs next year at 149. 141 seems ripe for the picking this year.

Lee, Desanto, Eierman, Lugo, Young, Marinelli, Kemerer, Wilcke, Warner, and Cassioppi. Six legit contenders with 8/10 returning AAs and a fair shot to pick up two more.

Eirmann is the definition of a need for Iowa. Nobody was ready to fill in after Lugo leaves that is remotely close to the level of Eirmann. He was a very good pick up for the Hawks and is one more reason that Iowa should win the National Championships in 2021
Uumm. OK.
If Eirman is a need so is Cassar, Suriano, Yanni, Mekhi, etc. He's an upgrade, but hardly a need. I've seen black holes at weights at Iowa, that isn't the case currently.

If the guys we currently have wrestle well next year we don't "need" anybody.

Reactions: Inthecircle
I think Askren likes to flame the 'Iowa hate' because he's a smart and media-savvy guy. (And also a world class sh*t talker.) For Dernlan, I sense his beef could be less about Iowa and more about Smith--a guy he really seems to respect. I feel they were pretty hard on Eierman in particular, but the conversation about about portals and RTCs is important and is really just getting started.

Reactions: PrairieHawk24
Uumm. OK.
If Eirman is a need so is Cassar, Suriano, Yanni, Mekhi, etc. He's an upgrade, but hardly a need. I've seen black holes at weights at Iowa, that isn't the case currently.

If the guys we currently have wrestle well next year we don't "need" anybody.

Yes. We need potential national champions even if only for one season. That could make the difference between the top of the podium in the team race.

Can a kid, before he is in the portal, reach out on his own to another coach? And if so can a coach field that call?

i thought this was always the case. I just thought the portal made it official that coaches can reach out to the wrestler.
I believe you had to have permission from the AD of the school they are leaving but I'm not sure. At least before you could get a scholarship that year or discuss it.

But we dont even know if your questions even apply to this situation. Because he only has one year left, maybe he contacted the HWC instead of Iowa before he entered the portal. If he knows the HWC is his ultimate destination, then transferring to Iowa maybe have been a formality, regardless of what he heard in the 36 hours after portal entry.

Maybe Missou gave permission before the portal timeline if that's still an option for JE.

Not saying what happened but there are a lot of possibilities that dont include tampering. I realize some wont like the gray area between a college and a RTC but that's a separate topic that tampering.

Brands prefers to play things safe normally, so I'm not too worried.

Reactions: wasdt21
Askren is definitely still relevant. Dernlan never really was

All that sh*t he talked about the UFC and he got choked out by a 42 year old fighter with 9 losses and then knocked out in 5 seconds. He got bounced quicker than a stumbling drunk at a nudey bar. He’s a lot like Chael Sonnen. Trying to be controversial for the sake of controversy

I'd argue that its a need right now and it would be better to have him this year at 141 vs next year at 149. 141 seems ripe for the picking this year.

Lee, Desanto, Eierman, Lugo, Young, Marinelli, Kemerer, Wilcke, Warner, and Cassioppi. Six legit contenders with 8/10 returning AAs and a fair shot to pick up two more.

No doubt he would be valuable this year. If I had to pick a year, though, I'd still lean toward next year having more value, as I suspect you guys have an even stronger shot at the title then (on paper). I base that in large part on PSU losing veteran studs in Joseph, Hall, and likely Cassar after this season. Losing Conel and Rasheed, too, and so PSU will be much younger in 2021. Iowa loses Wilcke and Lugo. Eierman becomes an immediate upgrade at one of those spots. And then you have guys like Warner and Cass likely making big gains in point-scoring potential with an added year of experience under their belts and much of the competition at their weights graduating. Teasdale has then had a year to build on. And Lee can work a "normal" schedule.

Given the relative change in D1 mat experience between the teams, it just seems like 2021 is the better year to go all-in. Obviously, winning in 2020 and 2021 would be a much bigger deal for the program, and if having Eierman in 2020 would have made that happen, then yeah, getting him now would have been better. But if you want to go all-in on a particular year to ensure you don't go 0-fer, then load up in 2021. That's when PSU is most vulnerable (on paper).

Reactions: TarpHawk
wait this dernlan wrestled? mizzou is fine at those weights for this year and next, i think smith will weather this terrible injustice.iowa would win next year without jadin

Asskren is unbearable and it's no wonder Rowlands left him from their previous podcast.
90% reason for the anger is cause Jaydin choose Iowa.

PSU is good because their guys are grateful and fun. Ok, I agree gratitude is important, but I bet the coaching staff or grateful when they get a top ten guy at every weight year in year out. Any coaching staff for that matter would be.

Reactions: so cal hawkfan
. . . I bet the coaching staff or grateful when they get a top ten guy at every weight year in year out. Any coaching staff for that matter would be.

Luckily, there is nothing to bet on, as they have never had a Top 10 guy at every weight. Not once.

Yes. We need potential national champions even if only for one season. That could make the difference between the top of the podium in the team race.
I guess people don't understand what NEED means.

The point is we should have a lineup with SEVERAL guys who are legit Finalists. We lose Cashe Wilcke. Our lineup as-is with or without Eirman is as good or better than any team next year. Period.

This isn't rocket science people. Eirman is a fine addition, but if you think he's the missing piece to the puzzle that's just not true. It could end up he's the difference when the smoke clears, but if the rest of the Iowa Team as it currently stands wrestles well at NCAA's, it's going to take a hell of an effort for ANYBODY to beat us. You don't win anything on paper, but Iowa already has the manpower to get it done.

I think there has been PLENTY of talk around here about Iowa being a favorite for the next 2 years, long before Eirman was a twinkle in Tom Brand's eye. Now all of a sudden he's the Savior? He's a "need"? Please.

Happy to have him, he increases our chances as a team, but they were real high already.

ADVERTISEMENT