ADVERTISEMENT

Rudis Podcast

How can you tamper with someone on the Olympic RS? I thought you had to withdraw from school? By tampering, you mean,

Jaydin: "oh hey Perry you're an RTC coach can I train with the HWC some time as I get ready for the Olympics"
Perry: "Sure".
Jaydin: "I might as well move to Iowa then. I have eligibility so I might as well transfer"
Perry: "Sure, you could do all that".
Jaydin: "Cool, Missouri sucks ass anyways".

That's probably how the convo went. No insider information though.

Reactions: Wink8 and Exo
Alright so I just went back and listened to the podcast and have a few thoughts.

They say that Missouri has invested a ton into Eierman and they deserved to have him stay. They also said that what else should Eierman ask for because Smith turned him into a 3x AA with a chance to be a 4x.

To me this is missing the point and is likely exactly why Eierman wants to be at Iowa. It’s the Iowa wrestling way to always strive for #1 and not be satisfied with anything else. Them faulting Eierman for wanting to get to that next level is laughable.

They want to talk about it not being fair to Smith and Dernlan talked about entitlement. How entitled do you have to be as a coach to sit there and act like you deserve to be given a full 4 years of an elite athletes eligibility simply because he performed well? Eierman and any other athlete has the right to decide where they want to wrestle.

I’m not even going to touch the idiocracy spewed when they said Brands doesn’t have a track record for coaching guys up. All I have to say is if you are going to banner your podcast in the name of a wrestling apparel brand it would behoove you to not bash the largest wrestling program.

/end of rant

Until today I've never listened to the podcast...dont plan on listening ever again.
Its actually not terrible most of the time. I wish Askern would find someone else to do it with though. Dernlan seems like a dbag. They do reference FRL quite a bit so it appears the get some of their talking points from that podcast.
I've never heard them go off about a transfer like that before. The surprising part was it wasn't even the Missouri alum doing the ranting. I think it's funny they criticize Eierman for leave, but don't mention how against RTCs Brian Smith is. I believe Askern has said in the past it's hard to raise money for your RTC, but you have to do it to be competitive. It's not Eiermans fault Smith didn't take RTCs more seriously. Why would you fault the athlete who wants to make the Olympic team for going somewhere that takes post NCAA wrestling seriously.

Reactions: Scryed
I guess people don't understand what NEED means.

The point is we should have a lineup with SEVERAL guys who are legit Finalists. We lose Cashe Wilcke. Our lineup as-is with or without Eirman is as good or better than any team next year. Period.

This isn't rocket science people. Eirman is a fine addition, but if you think he's the missing piece to the puzzle that's just not true. It could end up he's the difference when the smoke clears, but if the rest of the Iowa Team as it currently stands wrestles well at NCAA's, it's going to take a hell of an effort for ANYBODY to beat us. You don't win anything on paper, but Iowa already has the manpower to get it done.

I think there has been PLENTY of talk around here about Iowa being a favorite for the next 2 years, long before Eirman was a twinkle in Tom Brand's eye. Now all of a sudden he's the Savior? He's a "need"? Please.

Happy to have him, he increases our chances as a team, but they were real high already.

We have no idea who will be healthy and productive next year. We need potential national champs at every weight due to the nature of the sport.

Look at what PSU has done in the last decade. They didn’t get there by resting on their past line ups and counting on all current studs to be healthy and firing on all cylinders.

Reactions: slushhead
We have no idea who will be healthy and productive next year. We need potential national champs at every weight due to the nature of the sport.

Look at what PSU has done in the last decade. They didn’t get there by resting on their past line ups and counting on all current studs to be healthy and firing on all cylinders.

Exactly. If you don't have a 1- or 2-guy cushion in your expected point-scoring lineup, you have a need.

Reactions: vhsalum
The Podcast really isn't that bad and had a really good Spencer Lee interview on there not that long ago. Askren likes rattling cages for fun and viewership but he is entertaining. He has also brought up some very fair criticisms of Iowa prior to the Lee era which has seen some very noticeable improvements top to bottom in the offense department

Alright so I just went back and listened to the podcast and have a few thoughts.

They say that Missouri has invested a ton into Eierman and they deserved to have him stay. They also said that what else should Eierman ask for because Smith turned him into a 3x AA with a chance to be a 4x.

To me this is missing the point and is likely exactly why Eierman wants to be at Iowa. It’s the Iowa wrestling way to always strive for #1 and not be satisfied with anything else. Them faulting Eierman for wanting to get to that next level is laughable.

They want to talk about it not being fair to Smith and Dernlan talked about entitlement. How entitled do you have to be as a coach to sit there and act like you deserve to be given a full 4 years of an elite athletes eligibility simply because he performed well? Eierman and any other athlete has the right to decide where they want to wrestle.

I’m not even going to touch the idiocracy spewed when they said Brands doesn’t have a track record for coaching guys up. All I have to say is if you are going to banner your podcast in the name of a wrestling apparel brand it would behoove you to not bash the largest wrestling program.

/end of rant

Guy by the name of LaPaglia said he used to stop by and work out at their RTC...LaPaglia was a good wrestler out of Blue Springs and wrestled at Lindenwood I think.

During the spring and summer time for voluntary/RTC practices, our room is usually pretty full.

I I think it's funny they criticize Eierman for leave, but don't mention how against RTCs Brian Smith is. I believe Askern has said in the past it's hard to raise money for your RTC, but you have to do it to be competitive. It's not Eiermans fault Smith didn't take RTCs more seriously. Why would you fault the athlete who wants to make the Olympic team for going somewhere that takes post NCAA wrestling seriously.

I think they did talk about Smith's dislike for RTC's actually.

I think their main argument is not so much about some places not taking RTC's seriously, but moreso about the fact that a lot of coaches don't like them because of the gray area they are operating in, by not officially being affiliated with the school but also very much affiliated. That said, I believe I have heard (maybe on a past Rudis podcast honestly) that Smith didn't necessarily want to put excessive time in to build up their RTC.

Reactions: FarvaHawk14
I think they did talk about Smith's dislike for RTC's actually.

I think their main argument is not so much about some places not taking RTC's seriously, but moreso about the fact that a lot of coaches don't like them because of the gray area they are operating in, by not officially being affiliated with the school but also very much affiliated. That said, I believe I have heard (maybe on a past Rudis podcast honestly) that Smith didn't necessarily want to put excessive time in to build up their RTC.
With regard to your last sentence, Willie actually mentioned exactly that on his first podcast episode; said Smith was openly against them, and thought they represented what he considered to be an overextension of his position. (that is paraphrased from Willie's podcast, I actually have only seen small tidbits from Smith and have no direct source to back that up except the podcast itself.)

My take is that you cannot change your coaching philosophy or your whole program for one athlete, but at the same time can't be offended if that lack of change does not suit that athlete. I'm not saying Smith is in the wrong as he has built Mizzou into a program it never was, but sometimes people leave and like Eierman said, "it was time." Not to mention, I've read there were some staff members who left over the summer as well, so perhaps that had something to do with his desire to leave. On the whole, if our best wrestler left, I'd be ticked too, but I'd like to think I would be able to rationalize why if it were readily available..

LOL!

I’d take a potential national champ with one year eligibility, transferring in each and every year and we’d be a better team for it.
I have no doubt that's how it will go. Hope they have a backup plan, just in case.

This argument goes on every year and really shows the character of the guys blasting on it. I never have any problem with anyone going somewhere where they feel welcome or they wish to better themselves...their argument is weak.

They were talking about retaining rtc talent

I was just saying the reason they didn't mention suriano was because they were talking about the Rtc and not the actual wrestling team

Sorry "transfer out" were my words.

Just listened to that part again (around 27:00) and I think you're right, they were talking about RTC's, although at one points Ben exact words were "Penn State hasn't lost 1 guy" when really he means NLWC, not Penn State. But I think that just speaks to the point about the gray area between RTC's and the schools.

Reactions: Dragonross
I'm all for adding talent wherever we can find it, done legally. This started because some people are saying Eirman was a "need". He isn't. He's a great addition, but the cupboard wasn't bare. He's also probably not coming for free, so that's a factor. At least in some places it is........

No idea why he left Mizzou, but fine by me he landed with us.

It's embarrassing how much Dernlan panders to Askren and also how often his PSU bias comes through.

When Jered Cortez transfers to PSU from IL, crickets....

When Carson Kuhn transfers to PSU from Boise State, crickets....

When Kyle Conel transfers to PSU from Kent State, crickets....

Reactions: 24 so far
It's embarrassing how much Dernlan panders to Askren and also how often his PSU bias comes through.

Well, Cortez was a backup at Illinois and sat a year after the transfer. And then became a backup again.

Conel had "retired" (not wrestling his senior year), then graduated from Kent State before deciding to "unretire" and use that last year of eligibility.

Boise State didn't even have a program when Kuhn transferred to PSU, and he had a whopping total of 21 career matches at the collegiate level at the time.

Not sure what anyone could have to complain about with that list.

133 from Central Michigan as well.

Well, Cortez was a backup at Illinois and sat a year after the transfer. And then became a backup again.

Conel had "retired" (not wrestling his senior year), then graduated from Kent State before deciding to "unretire" and use that last year of eligibility.

Boise State didn't even have a program when Kuhn transferred to PSU, and he had a whopping total of 21 career matches at the collegiate level at the time.

Not sure what anyone could have to complain about with that list.

Yeah, McKenna is probably the closest comparison, but even he still had 2 years of eligibility and his focus seemed to be just as much if not more on NCAA's (seemed like part of Dernlan's comments on the gray area with RTC's was that Eierman seemed more focused on post-college with his transfer than during college). Eierman is definitely the first transfer of his caliber to transfer with just 1 year of eligibility remaining, that hadn't already graduated (Gross is probably also a better example than the above 3, but he graduated too).

Reactions: slushhead
Ben would have a much different take had Eierman chose Wisconsin. I’m not an Iowa fan, but I can see their anti-Iowa bias. I don’t remember Askren being outraged at the shady way Gross ended up in Madison.

I guess people don't understand what NEED means.

The point is we should have a lineup with SEVERAL guys who are legit Finalists. We lose Cashe Wilcke. Our lineup as-is with or without Eirman is as good or better than any team next year. Period.

This isn't rocket science people. Eirman is a fine addition, but if you think he's the missing piece to the puzzle that's just not true. It could end up he's the difference when the smoke clears, but if the rest of the Iowa Team as it currently stands wrestles well at NCAA's, it's going to take a hell of an effort for ANYBODY to beat us. You don't win anything on paper, but Iowa already has the manpower to get it done.

I think there has been PLENTY of talk around here about Iowa being a favorite for the next 2 years, long before Eirman was a twinkle in Tom Brand's eye. Now all of a sudden he's the Savior? He's a "need"? Please.

Happy to have him, he increases our chances as a team, but they were real high already.

Iowa has a real good shot of winning this year. ( I see it being a two horse race that'll end up being a couple points separating 1 and 2 and a very distant 3rd. I had the 2020-2021 team winning handily before Eirman. Adding another National Champ contender IMHO goes from making the Hawks the favorite, to winning a blowout. The addition of Eirman likely adds somewhere in the area of 20-ish points at NCAAS, but more important IMHO is how much the addition of him in the room will help our other guys. All year this year, Murin, Teasdale, Lugo etc will get to bang with a world class, national title contender. It really is a case of Iron sharpening Iron.

Last edited:
Yeah, McKenna is probably the closest comparison, but even he still had 2 years of eligibility and his focus seemed to be just as much if not more on NCAA's (seemed like part of Dernlan's comments on the gray area with RTC's was that Eierman seemed more focused on post-college with his transfer than during college). Eierman is definitely the first transfer of his caliber to transfer with just 1 year of eligibility remaining, that hadn't already graduated (Gross is probably also a better example than the above 3, but he graduated too).
Matt,
If he has aspirations for 2020 and 2024 why wouldn't he look for a place that in his mind helps him achieve those goals? As long as there are RTCs and the coaches who are willing to put their time and resources into them are always going to have a recruiting advantage. Those who aren't will continue to lose kids like Eierman.

Listening to this one podcast had me listening to another and then another. If someone would’ve just put on here that those two ding dongs said Kyle Shoop is the best top wrestler in college wrestling (along with gross) with no mention of Lee, I wouldn’t have even bothered. Holy...and then for that ignorant pud to say Lee isn’t a finalist. Yikes! I agree that Glory will be tough but those two make you wonder how they got to where they are.

Listening to this one podcast had me listening to another and then another. If someone would’ve just put on here that those two ding dongs said Kyle Shoop is the best top wrestler in college wrestling (along with gross) with no mention of Lee, I wouldn’t have even bothered. Holy...and then for that ignorant pud to say Lee isn’t a finalist. Yikes! I agree that Glory will be tough but those two make you wonder how they got to where they are.
they said Lee wouldn’t be a finalist this year?

they said Lee wouldn’t be a finalist this year?
Yeah. In episode 95 I think...the one guy said Rivera and picc. Askren said Lee and Rivera. Obviously this was before they knew Rivera was going up. So maybe now that dumb dumb would pick lee as a finalist.

Iowa has a real good shot of winning this year. ( I see it being a two horse race that'll end up being a couple points separating 1 and 2 and a very distant 3rd. I had the 2020-2021 team winning handily before Eirman. Adding another National Champ contender IMHO goes from making the Hawks the favorite, to winning a blowout. The addition of Eirman likely adds somewhere in the area of 20-ish points at NCAAS, but more important IMHO is how much the addition of him in the room will help our other guys. All year this year, Murin, Teasdale, Lugo etc will get to bang with a world class, national title contender. It really is a case of Iron sharpening Iron.
He's a pinner, that's the best part. I just want to see him pinning fools at NCAA's! ;) Or whatever the kids say these days.....

Matt,
If he has aspirations for 2020 and 2024 why wouldn't he look for a place that in his mind helps him achieve those goals? As long as there are RTCs and the coaches who are willing to put their time and resources into them are always going to have a recruiting advantage. Those who aren't will continue to lose kids like Eierman.

Well yeah, I think that was kinda their point about the gray area of RTC's. The RTC's are not officially affiliated with the school, yet they have become a big recruiting advantage for the schools that "have" them.

Saying Spencer Lee is not a finalist is one of THE most ignorant wrestling statements I have ever heard!! I would not allow this idiotic statement to entice me to tune in to listen to this garbage! Seems to me that's all this is is clickbait and it already seems to be working as some of you have already listened to this for the first time! Not me.

Saying Spencer Lee is not a finalist is one of THE most ignorant wrestling statements I have ever heard!! I would not allow this idiotic statement to entice me to tune in to listen to this garbage! Seems to me that's all this is is clickbait and it already seems to be working as some of you have already listened to this for the first time! Not me.
There really is no need to ever listen to the podcast. Dernlan is about as good of a podcaster as he was a coach. Keep in mind that he is podcasting because no program will touch him with a ten foot pole. Its crazy to me that he would dare criticize character when he had to resign under suspicious circumstances, was suspended as coach because public intox, and when he was coaching rumors swirled that there was plenty more than that.

Reactions: Iowabandwagon
Some of you guys aren't going to have any wrestling podcast left to listen to except those two drunks on Initiate Contact if you keep blacklisting all pods who say something negative about Iowa. Stop taking it so personal. Of course these guys are going to push buttons. That's what makes good radio. It would be boring and not worth listening if everything was gumdrops and lollipops.

Some of you guys aren't going to have any wrestling podcast left to listen to except those two drunks on Initiate Contact if you keep blacklisting all pods who say something negative about Iowa. Stop taking it so personal. Of course these guys are going to push buttons. That's what makes good radio. It would be boring and not worth listening if everything was gumdrops and lollipops.
They took a moral high ground and questioned Eiermans character. If they are going to do that to him, why should any Iowa fan be sensitive to their feelings? I dont understand your thought process. They drag a kid through the mud, insinuate that Iowa contacted before they were allowed to, and claimed Brands cant actually coach, but we should just let it slide because podcasters gonna podcast?

They took a moral high ground and questioned Eiermans character. If they are going to do that to him, why should any Iowa fan be sensitive to their feelings? I dont understand your thought process. They drag a kid through the mud, insinuate that Iowa contacted before they were allowed to, and claimed Brands cant actually coach, but we should just let it slide because podcasters gonna podcast?

Yeah pretty much. You don't need to be "sensitive their feelings" and they don't want you to be, but boycotting a podcast because they didn't predict your guy to make the finals is silly (that's not what you are doing, but seems like some others are). For the record I don't think I'd call Eierman a "kid." He's already had 4 years of college, he's gotta be at least 21 maybe even older right?

There really is no need to ever listen to the podcast. Dernlan is about as good of a podcaster as he was a coach. Keep in mind that he is podcasting because no program will touch him with a ten foot pole. Its crazy to me that he would dare criticize character when he had to resign under suspicious circumstances, was suspended as coach because public intox, and when he was coaching rumors swirled that there was plenty more than that.

Well on his podcast today with Cary Kolat, he basically admitted to trying to bribe officials...

Yeah pretty much. You don't need to be "sensitive their feelings" and they don't want you to be, but boycotting a podcast because they didn't predict your guy to make the finals is silly (that's not what you are doing, but seems like some others are). For the record I don't think I'd call Eierman a "kid." He's already had 4 years of college, he's gotta be at least 21 maybe even older right?
I have a habit of calling everyone younger than me kid. I didn't say that to suggest he was not mature enough to be judged. If he is 18 or 40, he has a right to do whatever he wants.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT