ADVERTISEMENT

Rudock

Oct 19, 2014
Though I wish him well and he will probably do better at Michigan with better athletes around him, I do think that he has some issues. I mean CJ was backup for 2 years and never left the program, as soon as Jake get benched he is looking for a way out. Hmmm
This post was edited on 4/11 3:53 PM by 43yrHawkeye

Re: Ruddock

Dudes been a starter for two years, with one year left to play...only ONE year, unless somehow he goes pro. What would you do?

I'd go play somewhere.

He's one play away from being a starter again, pretty weak in my book to take off just because you lost your starting job. Whatever happened to being a team player?!

I actually think this is more of a play to get into a grad school that he wants. He graduates from Iowa this May. Likely knows his future is not in the NFL, and he's going the route to his PhD.

Smart move really.

Originally posted by Aegon_Targaryen:
I actually think this is more of a play to get into a grad school that he wants. He graduates from Iowa this May. Likely knows his future is not in the NFL, and he's going the route to his PhD.

Smart move really.
So his plan was to get benched so that he could more easily shop around for a grad school?

Originally posted by Titanhawk2:

Smart move really.
So his plan was to get benched so that he could more easily shop around for a grad school?
Wouldn't make much sense to simply hang around to play football would it? Does it further his career to do so?

Rudock's ambition is to become a Doctor, and Iowa was probably the best Medical school that offered him a football scholarship. I don't know for sure, but I would think Michigan's Med school is on par with Iowa or may be better. Aegon is right, he is using his football skills to further his career.

Originally posted by RPWinni0:
Rudock's ambition is to become a Doctor, and Iowa was probably the best Medical school that offered him a football scholarship. I don't know for sure, but I would think Michigan's Med school is on par with Iowa or may be better. Aegon is right, he is using his football skills to further his career.
According to this Michigan is a top ten Medical school. Iowa is in at 29.

Top Medical schools

It's amazing how after 4 years quite a few of our 'fans' can't spell his name right. It's really not that hard. And of course Forgery5 chips in with his usual idiotic comment. BAU on the Iowa board today boyz.

Originally posted by 43yrHawkeye:
Though I wish him well and he will probably do better at Michigan with better athletes around him, I do think that he has some issues. I mean CJ was backup for 2 years and never left the program, as soon as Jake get benched he is looking for a way out. Hmmm

Have an issue with saying Michigan has better athletes. They looked pretty average last year and nothing in their spring game proved any different. The so called college football experts stated that Michigan's 2015 recruiting class was maybe average because of JH's late start and it will take 2-3 yrs. to get his style of players to Michigan. They don't expect a big turn around season in 2015. The most positive thing they said was they should be more hard nosed and they don't have ND on their schedule. I expect Rudock will struggle as much as did at Iowa.
This post was edited on 4/10 10:48 AM by grosie#2

What interests me it seeing how many well wishes there are for Jake compared to what many said about Willies when he left the team.

Apparently, "quitting on your team" is treated differently depending what time of year you do it and how many remaining years of eligibility you have left.

I'm not even going to get into the issue of family concerns playing a role in why Willies left.

"I actually think this is more of a play to get into a grad school that he wants. He graduates from Iowa this May. Likely knows his future is not in the NFL, and he's going the route to his PhD."

IMO This has nothing to do with grad school and everything to do with how JR felt he was treated by coaches and teammates. JR felt that he was the guy(starting QB) until he graduated. He didn't like that they opened up all positions, including his after the disappointing loss to Nebraska. JR was not happy during bowl prep that CJ was getting equal snaps. If this was Jordan Canzeri or Lomax whose positions were being challenged by Daniels and Gair we'd be all over them about leaving their team vs. staying and competing or giving their team depth at that position. This has little or nothing to do with grad school. I'm glad he left in that I don't have to listen to fans take sides all spring summer and fall. I do feel we'd be a better team with him from a talent and leadership perspective. I'm not wishing JR ill will, but I can also say I won't be celebraing a Michigan victory if he wins the battle at QB.

JR never earned the starting job in the first place. It was awarded to him and, no matter what he did or didn't do, as long as he could limp onto the field, we were assured by no less than KF himself that JR gave Iowa "the best chance to win." Until, suddenly, out of nowhere, he didn't. JR's feelings were hurt. Too bad. Better athletes and better QBs sat and watched. One left last year and became an immediate starter at LaTech and threw, what, 30 TD passes.

They say it took JR two years to learn the Iowa offense. I keep wondering how--despite his big brain--he'll learn the Michigan offense in a few weeks. A-Maize-ing.

And so JR moves on. Good for him. Better for Iowa. I'll take a CJB over a JR at QB any day of the week, but especially on Saturdays in the fall.

Which reminds me: In last year's spring game, JR may have thrown the worst pass I've ever seen attempted in Kinnick Stadium, and I've been watching for quite a while. Remember when JR dropped back, tried to put everything he had into it against the wind, twisted his wrist, and ended up with the worst wounded duck in FB history. It was intercepted, of course. And so the JR era ends in Iowa City. And least we can thank the young man for that. Besides, we need more good doctors.

He was never benched. In January, Kirk declared that his starting qb was no longer worthy of being #1 on the charts based on a bowl game that neither qb played that well in. He could have beat CJ out in spring ball for all we know. Or after fall practices.

Personally, I think people should be questioning how after all fall, where there were games CJ didn't even play, and all the fall practices, bowl game practices and bowl game, how KF came to the conclusion that now CJ was better. It wasn' t like he lit it up in the bowl game. If CJ was good enough to emerge #1 after one crappy bowl game, he probably should have been #1 all season.

JR will probably do better at UM but not because there are better athletes around him.

I don't feel like Rudock abandoned the team because he didn't get his way. I think he was smart enough to leave a situation created by an inept head coach who, after 16 years, showed he didn't know his hind end from straight up. Good for him. Now with one viable quarterback left, maybe Kirk Ferentz can figure out who's going to start.

IIRC CJ's old man said CJ would transfer if he did not start and obviously so did Ruddock. It put KF between a rock and a hard place. CJ had two yrs, Ruddock one. Seems like a fairly easy choice. The word I have is that the team was not fond of Ruddock due to practices being changed for him etc. and his general attitude. Maybe a better coach could have fixed the situation; maybe not.

Yeah well Michigan cheated to get in the top ten.....

All I can say is if Rudock left because he didn't want to have to compete for the job, then good riddance.

Jake didn't have a B1G level arm.

Business Insider had Iowa ranked ahead of Michigan, but, suffice it to say that both are top-notch programs.

I think he has the ego (and I'm not saying ego in a negative light) that he has one more shot to play some meaningful time and at a big-time school. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

A) I thought the normal route for PHD-Medical doctor was to get the M.D. 1st and then the PhD. There is no particular reason Rudock needs to take post graduate classes to further his M.D. aspirations---he should be eligible to take his MCAT and start Med school next fall.

B) If it was about his Medical career, the smart thing would be to just start Medical school. The guys obviously is not good enough to play in NFL.

C) It is mildly irritating that the guy is staying in B1G and that Michigan would even take him. That said, he has to do what is best for himself, so no hard feelings. I would not be surprised to see him ride bench at Michigan.

It is helpful to Iowa in some ways to move on to a guy that has 2years, so it is not all downside to losing the backup QB and eliminate any chance of controversy. In general, I don't think other players at other positions that have lost there jobs have transferred, so I do think that "quitter" does describe Rudock to some extent. QB seems to be treated like a special position and guys that lose their jobs or have no chance more often than not move on.

I don't think Rudock is a quitter. He's smart enough to leave an uncomfortable situation, and he's fortunate he has some options open to him. More power to him.
It would be pretty dumb to sit on the Iowa bench as the backup senior quarterback, wouldn't it?

Nobody thinks Harbaugh had anything to do with this? I would venture to guess he had more to do with this than anybody else.

Originally posted by red/green hawk:
Nobody thinks Harbaugh had anything to do with this? I would venture to guess he had more to do with this than anybody else.
Maybe the Higdon Handler had something to do with this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT