ADVERTISEMENT

Rules are for the little people

Wouldn't the salon owner have to be the one to let her in if they are locked down?

Apparently salons were allowed to open up today on a limited basis, and Pelosi came to get her hair cut by a stylist who rents a chair at that salon. Not sure what the problem is. Her spokesman says they told her one person at a time inside? Who knows.

I guess the real question is why do those objecting hate small business? (Settle down...just kidding)

Apparently salons were allowed to open up today on a limited basis, and Pelosi came to get her hair cut by a stylist who rents a chair at that salon. Not sure what the problem is. Her spokesman says they told her one person at a time inside? Who knows.

I guess the real question is why do those objecting hate small business? (Settle down...just kidding)

What I read was that she wanted and received a blow dry and didn’t always comply with wearing a face mask. BAU for another do as I say, not as I do politician.

Reactions: KFSuperStar
WASHINGTON (AP) — House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is getting heat over a solo hair salon visit in San Francisco at a time when California businesses are limited by concern over coronavirus.

But Pelosi's spokesman said she was was complying with the rules as presented to her by eSalon.

“This business offered for the Speaker to come in on Monday and told her they were allowed by the city to have one customer at a time in the business," said spokesman Drew Hammill in a statement. "The Speaker complied with the rules as presented to her by this establishment.”

Footage aired by Fox News Channel shows Pelosi, her mask around her neck rather than on her face, walking through the establishment. A stylist follows her, wearing a mask.

The salon owner said she rents chairs to stylists, one of whom let her know in advance that Pelosi wanted a wash and a blow dry. Outdoor haircuts are allowed in California, but indoor salons have not reopened. The owner said she considered the service “a slap in the face” to business owners who have been forced to close.

So why did she allow it? I'm confused.

What I read was that she wanted and received a blow dry and didn’t always comply with wearing a face mask. BAU for another do as I say, not as I do politician.

Exactly.

Dems, "Everyone wear masks and limit exposure. It's those dang republicans not wearing masks that are causing Covid spikes!"

Dems speaker of the house, "I don't need to wear a mask"

I’d give her a blow dry... or wet dry. However she wanted it.

Fair enough. If that’s the case she was wrong.

What do we think about people who never wear a mask?

afternoon for a wash and blow-out, despite local ordinances keeping salons closed amid the coronavirus pandemic, Fox News had learned.

In security footage obtained by Fox News, and timestamped Monday at 3:08 p.m. Pacific Time, the California powerhouse is seen walking through eSalon in San Francisco with wet hair, and without a mask over her mouth or nose.

While I prefer that everyone wear masks indoors in public, I tend to not think anything towards or about those that never wear. It’s like seatbelts. It doesn’t matter how much the statistics show they save lives, there are always going to be people who won’t wear them.

While I prefer that everyone wear masks indoors in public, I tend to not think anything towards or about those that never wear. It’s like seatbelts. It doesn’t matter how much the statistics show they save lives, there are always going to be people who won’t wear them.

Agree. I usually wear one. I don’t think any differently about people who are or aren’t wearing one. Or smoking cigs. Or texting and driving. It’s all whatever to me. Just hurry up and gtfo of my way.

So I am sure she has and is tested regularly. She is not covid positive. Also she was approved by the salon owner to be there one on one with the stylish.

Finally, what about all those republicans who wanted haircuts and protested that without masks?

I don't think people are upset about not wearing a mask as much as the hypocrisy of the situation. Even if it was OK to not wear a mask in that specific situation, she should have worn one, anyway.

Pelosi is part of the "liberal elite" that make it hard for many people to support Democrats.

A for effort but wrong.

Pelosi went to an owner"s closed by local government regulation business...

a regulation she pretends to support, except when it inconveniences her...

and knowingly in violation of the ordinance...

persuaded a stylist who rents a chair there to illegally open the business so she could get her hair down.

America. You have been played. Time to fight back.

A for effort but wrong.

Pelosi went to an owner"s closed by local government regulation business...

a regulation she pretends to support, except when it inconveniences her...

and knowingly in violation of the ordinance...

persuaded a stylist who rents a chair there to illegally open the business so she could get her hair down.
Fair points. It does sound like things didn’t go the way they should. She was wrong and should have known better.

Reactions: lr1007
I would bet $1000 that isn't Nancy.
If you'd like to win back your $1000, I'll go double or nothing that when congress reconvenes, Matt Gaetz will show up maskless with wet hair and wearing a salon robe.

Reactions: Finance85
My goodness. Just because your a Democrat doesn't mean you need to defend her hypocrisy in this instance. Just like Trumpkins defend everything Trump does.

And Nancy should apologize and make some sort of donation to the hair salon owner as a gesture of goodwill and she would be forgiven and come out looking like the much better person. Politicians do not like to admit when they make a mistake so would be presently surprised if she did that.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_89hvcc2uyzmki
My goodness. Just because your a Democrat doesn't mean you need to defend her hypocrisy in this instance. Just like Trumpkins defend everything Trump does.

And Nancy should apologize and make some sort of donation to the hair salon owner as a gesture of goodwill and she would be forgiven and come out looking like the much better person. Politicians did not like to admit when they make a mistake so would be presently surprised if she did that.
Agree with your first part but this wasn't a mistake where she didn't know what she was doing. She knew what she was doing and that it was wrong. She just thinks the rules don't apply to her.

I wonder if Trump will support Pelosi like he did Ted Cruz in a similar situation.

Agree with your first part but this wasn't a mistake where she didn't know what she was doing. She knew what she was doing and that it was wrong. She just thinks the rules don't apply to her.
No. She was foolish in relying upon her stylist knowing what was allowed instead of checking it out herself. That's dumb on her part and she should acknowledge it and apologize and use this as a means to encourage everyone to wear masks and distance.

For almost six months, hairdressers in San Francisco have been prohibited from cutting and styling their clients’ hair inside a salon. But on Monday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), one of the most outspoken Democratic lawmakers on following coronavirus restrictions, became an exception to the rule in her home district.

Surveillance footage aired on Fox News on Tuesday showed Pelosi walking through a salon with a mask around her neck as a stylist wearing a mask followed behind. Republican critics pounced on Pelosi, accusing her of hypocrisy.
“Speaker Pelosi has pushed policies that would keep our economy closed and our small businesses shut down. But for herself?” Senate Republicans tweeted. “A salon visit whenever she pleases.”

But a spokesman for Pelosi insisted she was following the rules outlined by the salon before her visit.
AD

ADVERTISING

“The speaker always wears a mask and complies with local covid requirements,” spokesman Drew Hammill said in a statement to The Washington Post, adding Pelosi briefly took down her mask while getting her hair washed. “This business offered for the speaker to come in on Monday and told her they were allowed by the city to have one customer at a time in the business. The speaker complied with the rules as presented by this establishment.”

Subtitle Settings

Font
Font Size Font Edge Font Color Background

What the 1918 flu pandemic can teach states about reopening during coronavirus

The debate surrounding reopening too soon amid the coronavirus pandemic is striking an eerily familiar tone. (Adriana Usero/The Washington Post)
With coronavirus cases in California on the decline — cases fell almost 14 percent over the past week as of early Wednesday, according to The Post’s covid-19 tracker — some counties in the Bay Area have begun to loosen restrictions and reopen stores and salons at partial capacity. But not hair salons in San Francisco, which, like most personal care businesses, have been hurting during the pandemic.

San Francisco Mayor London Breed (D) announced last week that salons could reopen for outdoor service only starting Tuesday.
AD

Erica Kious, the owner of eSalon, where Pelosi got her haircut, slammed the Democrat for her indoor styling. Kious said she rents chairs in her salon to independent stylists, and one of them texted on Sunday that Pelosi would be at her salon the following day.
“It was a slap in the face that she went in, you know, that she feels that she can just go and get her stuff done while no one else can go in, and I can’t work,” Kious told Fox News. “We have been shut down for so long, not just me, but most of the small businesses and I just can’t — it’s a feeling — a feeling of being deflated, helpless and honestly beaten down.”

Pelosi’s visit to the salon comes days after she wrote to Senate Democrats saying Republicans are to blame for a slowdown in reopening because they don’t “listen to the scientists.” She added Republicans “are rejecting the funding needed for testing and tracing to crush the virus and safely reopen schools and the economy.”
AD

Her salon visit attracted harsh criticism from conservative critics, such as commentator Ben Shapiro, who tweeted Pelosi has a “Marie Antoinette thing going here.”
On Fox News, Tucker Carlson called her a hypocrite for “sneaking into a hair salon others are banned from entering."
“She can do that because she is the speaker of the House, third in line to the presidency,” Carlson said. “You cannot because you don’t have as much power as Nancy Pelosi.”

Pelosi isn’t the only politician taking heat for their personal conduct during a pandemic that continues to alter everyday life and upend local businesses. On Monday, Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney (D) apologized after an image of him dining indoors at a restaurant in Maryland circulated online. Kenney said he felt dining there was a low risk because cases in the county where he dined were below 800, as opposed to the “33,000 cases in Philadelphia,” he wrote on Twitter.
AD

“Restaurant owners are among the hardest hit by the pandemic. I’m sorry if my decision hurt those who’ve worked to keep their businesses going under difficult circumstances,” he said. “Looking forward to reopening indoor dining soon and visiting my favorite spots.”
Restaurant owners in Philadelphia excoriated the mayor, who appeared to be sitting in a crowded restaurant without a six-foot distance from other diners. Like in other cities across the country, restaurants in Philadelphia have suffered from the pandemic restrictions. According to Philadelphia magazine, at least 17 restaurants closed due to the pandemic.
Indoor dining at 25 percent occupancy will resume in Philadelphia on Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT