ADVERTISEMENT

Rumors that BF is interviewing....

He's never had a good offense in the 5 years he's been OC. We've never been better than 87th, and getting worse. Exactly who is responsible for recruiting and playing qbs that can't see the field or make accurate passes? Who is responsible for O line recruiting? Doesn't some of this fall on the guy that runs the offense? His play calling is garbage. Random plays that don't build on each other, predictable. Throws shit at at the wall and hope something sticks.
I honestly believe that you, like most of the people who constantly complain, have no idea how football actually works. If you really think that BF just calls “random plays that don’t build on each other” you’re an idiot

Brain and Daddy need to be gone....and never to interfere with any hirings, recruiting or play calling theories at Iowa.....ever again. We won a TERRIBLE West division with two HORRIBLE losses....please do not lose sight of that.

I honestly think he would be a better HC than a coordinator. He is decent at position coaching but not very good at calling plays cohesively. I could see him being a better administrator of a program when he sets the game plan and style, recruits, and leads the team but doesn’t get into the details play by play.
Can't believe that I'm agreeing with this.

KOK was really innovative and brilliant during his first 6 years or so, then he got stale.Greg Davis was just awful from the beginning. BF has been better than Davis but hasn’t really lit a fire, either. I‘m sure if KF ever does have to replace Brian, it will be with someone conservative. Personally, I’d love to see Drew Tate come in replace KOK as QB coach with the idea of grooming him as an OC. The guy knows passing offenses, was always creative as a player, has coached in the CFL and has the pedigree with his own father having been a very successful high school coach. Just a wild idea that will never happen.

KOK may be a great guy, but it smacks of KF just using university athletics money to grease his friend. KOK was nice enough to step aside for a placeholder Davis, all the whie BF was destined to be offensive coordinator without having to prove himself. KOK has no business coaching QBs with his resume and age. I agree, a guy like Drew Tate would be nice, but I don't think he knows how to be a "yes" man to the degree necessary to get along with KF. Tate was never shy about demanding his OL and receivers perform---I remember KF benching Tate because Grigsby WR was too scared to catch a ball at Minnya and Tate got into it with Grigsby. In the end Grigsby was gone, but Tate was correct. Grigsby had no business even playing because he was not talented enough/fearless enough to play P5 football.

Maybe it's the overall Iowa W-L record after BF joined the staff, or that woodshed game, or the style of offense Iowa plays, I cannot put my finger on it but despite that offensive metric rank, i continue to think BF is very well suited for Iowa. Give him a cjb type qb and i think he will blow the doors off stats wise also. I will be sad to see him go unless/until we really get a OC who can make me eat my words.

Reactions: Farleyhawk and F5n5
I would think the fact that "sources confirmed with him" from a twitter account with a couple hundred followers would not be credible, but that's just me. :D

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
He needs to if he is serious about it. He hasn't done much as OC to justify being given the reigns to a top 30 job in college football. Besides, being a Head Coach is a completely different bag of worms than being a coordinator. You are coordinating coaches and recruiting. He might actually be very good at those things. But he needs to prove it first.
I would have no problem with Brian coming back after three years leaving the nest. I'd like to see who he gets for his coordinators.

Brain and Daddy need to be gone....and never to interfere with any hirings, recruiting or play calling theories at Iowa.....ever again. We won a TERRIBLE West division with two HORRIBLE losses....please do not lose sight of that.
It’s posts like this that make me believe there truly are fans out there who are only happy if we lose…

For gods sake, we have won 10 regular season games for just the 6th time in school history (others included bowl wins), our two losses this year were to Wisconsin and Purdue, both bowl teams so it’s not like we lost to Bowling Green or someone dumb, but sure, “Kirk needs to be gone”.

I honestly believe that you, like most of the people who constantly complain, have no idea how football actually works. If you really think that BF just calls “random plays that don’t build on each other” you’re an idiot
What play is the Stretch Play run to the short side of the field built off of? I will give you this one though....a 2nd down running play is built off of an incomplete pass 100% of the time.

It’s posts like this that make me believe there truly are fans out there who are only happy if we lose…

For gods sake, we have won 10 regular season games for just the 6th time in school history (others included bowl wins), our two losses this year were to Wisconsin and Purdue, both bowl teams so it’s not like we lost to Bowling Green or someone dumb, but sure, “Kirk needs to be gone”.
The guy is a complete moron.

Anyone who parrots the "B1G West is garbage" stuff has never had an original thought and watches way too much ESPN.

BOTH Sagarin and Massey have the B1G West as the #3 toughest division in all of FBS, behind only the SEC West and the B1G East. It's far tougher than most talking heads let on, and almost always has been.

What play is the Stretch Play run to the short side of the field built off of? I will give you this one though....a 2nd down running play is built off of an incomplete pass 100% of the time.
You know we’re not the only ones who run to the short side of the field, right? And usually that’s because we’re running where we have a numbers advantage, with the bulk of the defense to the wide side? Or sometimes it’s because we like our matchups with a particular DT or DE, or just to our strong side of our line?

we may not always agree with the call, but you make it sound like there’s no reason at all to run to the weak side.

It would answer the perrennial question - is Brian bad all on his own or (as I suspect) he is being handcuffed and tied down by the boss.
We have 23 years of evidence to show that the OC runs Kirk’s offense. There are windows where it goes wide open, but mostly he’s going to play field position and ball control and win a lot more games than he loses. The next OC will have many of the same issues - though I will note that recruiting has ticked up the past few years and, believe it or not, BF has played a pretty good role on that front.

I'm going to laugh if this is true and KOK retakes the OC reigns. Remember all those years of epic "fire KOK!" bitching?
Yep, but that was before we all realized that KFz was the ultimate governor of the offense.

If BFz takes another job this is clear notification that KFz is setting a retirement timeline.

He's never had a good offense in the 5 years he's been OC. We've never been better than 87th, and getting worse. Exactly who is responsible for recruiting and playing qbs that can't see the field or make accurate passes? Who is responsible for O line recruiting? Doesn't some of this fall on the guy that runs the offense? His play calling is garbage. Random plays that don't build on each other, predictable. Throws shit at at the wall and hope something sticks.
Sounds like you need to get your resume ready if BF moves on.

...for the Akron and Louisiana Tech head coaching job. Timing seems about right as if he ever wants to take over his dad's job he needs to prove he can be a head coach somewhere else first. Also, running one of the worst offenses in college football for the past few seasons isn't much of a resume builder. So, a lot of people should be excited about this, if it's true.

Ban???

You have absolutely zero idea about football if you think there is a better coach for Iowa than Kirk Ferentz. We are incredibly fortunate.

...for the Akron and Louisiana Tech head coaching job. Timing seems about right as if he ever wants to take over his dad's job he needs to prove he can be a head coach somewhere else first. Also, running one of the worst offenses in college football for the past few seasons isn't much of a resume builder. So, a lot of people should be excited about this, if it's true.

He's going to interview for the Iowa head coach job

Maybe just maybe any other school might want to wait for the former players lawsuit to be behind BF ?

You forgot the winking emoticon 😉

It's been confirmed in the Hawkeye Lounge that this was a tweet with no truth in it and actually sent more as a joke.

I don't think BF is on anyone's HC radar right now at the DI level.

Take a massive pay cut and lose the big possibility of sliding into a power 5 head coaching gig when his dad retires ?

“Alex give me stupid decisions for $1 “
Exactly.

People don't get it. BF is making $865,000 annually as an OC and he's not stepping down in pay to take on more responsibility.

Secondly, as you implied, if BF ever feels he can succeed his Dad one day as HC here he knows his best opportunity is staying here doing exactly the role he has today. Why drop to low DI, take a HC job, have some struggles, and then completely blow any hope of getting the job one day?

Exactly.

People don't get it. BF is making $865,000 annually as an OC and he's not stepping down in pay to take on more responsibility.

Secondly, as you implied, if BF ever feels he can succeed his Dad one day as HC here he knows his best opportunity is staying here doing exactly the role he has today. Why drop to low DI, take a HC job, have some struggles, and then completely blow any hope of getting the job one day?
Maybe to take a HC Job at a lower tier school, compete, and prove/justify he can be a head coach. My biggest concern if he does get one of these jobs is who he takes with him-- Levar Woods, Ladell Betts, Kelvin Bell, Kelton Copeland, Seth Wallace, George Barnett, etc. These are coaches who may be looking at a coordinator type role.

• Haha
Reactions: cheddarwurst69
Maybe to take a HC Job at a lower tier school, compete, and prove/justify he can be a head coach. My biggest concern if he does get one of these jobs is who he takes with him-- Levar Woods, Ladell Betts, George Barnett, etc
I agree with your premise on what makes sense, but understand, it strategically makes more sense to him to stay right where he is and not open himself up to critics if he were a HC.

Secondly, his name has not been floated out there for any HC jobs so that is not on the horizon. He's just not a candidate in other school's eyes.

Even if he did get one of these lesser HC jobs, taking any assistant with him would likely also be taking a pay cut. Why would a guy leave a Power 5 position coach job to be a Power 5 position coach at a lower DI school?

Exactly.

See, I disagree with this premise. Iowa is a good enough program that they shouldn’t be hiring a first-time head coach. It would be a very difficult sell for Barta, or whoever the AD is, to hire Brian when there are other candidates with HC experience out there.

See, I disagree with this premise. Iowa is a good enough program that they shouldn’t be hiring a first-time head coach. It would be a very difficult sell for Barta, or whoever the AD is, to hire Brian when there are other candidates with HC experience out there.
Hold on.

I have said repeatedly BF as a HC hire here would be a horrible decision if it were to happen. I agree....Iowa has a damn great HC job to offer someone someday and to hand it to some assistant coach whose never been a HC would be a travesty. I have said the same to people that think Phil Parker or Levar Woods should get the job too.

I have many beefs with BF and they go beyond the coaching element.

This is such a stupid post it doesn't deserve a response so I won't.

Reactions: VodkaSam
I am going to ask this without knowing the right answer. Would you hire a coach who would replicate the last 20 years of Iowa football? Who is most likely to do that? Are some of you happy with the Kirk Era? I am old enought to remember when Tom Davis was let go and what happened to the Iowa basketball team. And Davis did nit have Iowa basketball as relevant as the football team is today.

I do not know who the next coach should be but the anger over Kirk really puzzles me. He has been great for Iowa and is the west champion. Can you enjoy winning? I understand he has flaws but I have heard the complaints that he hasn't won the west and now that he won it, you are still complaining. Part of the reason Iowa has a good defense is that the offense is designed to keep the game in a ball controlled game. I understand the complaints that they haven't executed and that they are predictable but they always have been. I think many people need to sit back and enjoy the ride.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT