ADVERTISEMENT

Rumors that BF is interviewing....

BioHawk

HR Legend
Sep 21, 2005
...for the Akron and Louisiana Tech head coaching job. Timing seems about right as if he ever wants to take over his dad's job he needs to prove he can be a head coach somewhere else first. Also, running one of the worst offenses in college football for the past few seasons isn't much of a resume builder. So, a lot of people should be excited about this, if it's true.

I'm going to laugh if this is true and KOK retakes the OC reigns. Remember all those years of epic "fire KOK!" bitching?
That will be anyone who takes the job. I'm sure I will be yelling at him too because it's so frustrating watching our offense a lot of the time. But it is what it is and there hasn't been much variation for 20 years. It's not the OC that makes them play so conservative.

5fb632e8a253e8e7e958ebbe47a3f331.jpg

...for the Akron and Louisiana Tech head coaching job. Timing seems about right as if he ever wants to take over his dad's job he needs to prove he can be a head coach somewhere else first. Also, running one of the worst offenses in college football for the past few seasons isn't much of a resume builder. So, a lot of people should be excited about this, if it's true.

If it happens just promote Lavar Woods

Good, get him out of here, and have an actual search for a top notch OC.
Did you ever stop bitching long enough to think MAYBE BF is running a style set for this program. Under guidelines KF set? Tell me Top Notch OC that will run things his way? If Kirks own son didnt or didnt show signs of your xbox knowledge - who exactly will do that? I want names. None of them will run things like you want. 23 history has shown that. So give me that list

** Good one Tom!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: cheddarwurst69
I'm not buying it first of all. Second, BF isn't as bad as people think he is. This is tough year to evaluate him in my opinion. He can't freaking block people you know. I've said this many times, if you want to be critical of BF for recruiting misses and why we have two freshman playing on the OL...open game all day long, but to be overtly critical when he's got DE's who aren't even getting touched...well...any offense isn't going to be successful when your guys can't block up front.

Ok to be critical that he didn't support his Offensive Tackles with chipping or doubles against Wisconsin too. He totally screwed the pooch with that game plan. What you don't realize though is that this offense, when it's able to be opened up...is much more diverse and more more difficult to defend than any I've seen at Iowa. We have guys wide open all the time...and it's scheme that's doing it. Remember the Greg Davis years...no separation years?

CJ Beathard, with a decent OL, would be incredible in this offense. BF, with Stanley & Petras, hasn't had a passer who is really accurate and it's cost him.

With two freshman and two other players who had no significant minutes...we are playing for the B10 championship. That's impressive to me.

And just to make haters heads explode. Say BF gets a job. Goes .600 or better - wins a conf. championship. At the 5 year mark KF retires. BF would be candidate #1. Not sayin but thats football

I'm not buying it first of all. Second, BF isn't as bad as people think he is. This is tough year to evaluate him in my opinion. He can't freaking block people you know. I've said this many times, if you want to be critical of BF for recruiting misses and why we have two freshman playing on the OL...open game all day long, but to be overtly critical when he's got DE's who aren't even getting touched...well...any offense isn't going to be successful when your guys can't block up front.

Ok to be critical that he didn't support his Offensive Tackles with chipping or doubles against Wisconsin too. He totally screwed the pooch with that game plan. What you don't realize though is that this offense, when it's able to be opened up...is much more diverse and more more difficult to defend than any I've seen at Iowa. We have guys wide open all the time...and it's scheme that's doing it. Remember the Greg Davis years...no separation years?

CJ Beathard, with a decent OL, would be incredible in this offense. BF, with Stanley & Petras, hasn't had a passer who is really accurate and it's cost him.

With two freshman and two other players who had no significant minutes...we are playing for the B10 championship. That's impressive to me.
“This is a tough year to evaluate him in my opinion.”

What about all the other years he has been OC? Take a look at Iowa’s ranking in all the important offensive statistical categories each of those years

He’s just getting some head coaching experience for when his dad steps down.
He needs to if he is serious about it. He hasn't done much as OC to justify being given the reigns to a top 30 job in college football. Besides, being a Head Coach is a completely different bag of worms than being a coordinator. You are coordinating coaches and recruiting. He might actually be very good at those things. But he needs to prove it first.

Reactions: Cincy_Hawk

Nice post! But logic and quality examples will not make sense to some.

Reactions: hawk224
I honestly think he would be a better HC than a coordinator. He is decent at position coaching but not very good at calling plays cohesively. I could see him being a better administrator of a program when he sets the game plan and style, recruits, and leads the team but doesn’t get into the details play by play.

It’s a joke…

He's never had a good offense in the 5 years he's been OC. We've never been better than 87th, and getting worse. Exactly who is responsible for recruiting and playing qbs that can't see the field or make accurate passes? Who is responsible for O line recruiting? Doesn't some of this fall on the guy that runs the offense? His play calling is garbage. Random plays that don't build on each other, predictable. Throws shit at at the wall and hope something sticks.

No duh. Like he is going to give up $860,000 plus an eight percent raise with no accountability for results to go to Akron and make $500,000? Right.
I don't know. If he wants to be a head coach he has to start somewhere and that might include a pay cut. Particularly after only being an OC for 5 years.

There’s a lot to be critical of Brian for. But a lot of it’s also overblown to an extent because a) he’s Kirks son and b) a lot of fans want exciting, wide-open football and that’s just not happening as long as Kirk is the boss.
“This is a tough year to evaluate him in my opinion.”

What about all the other years he has been OC? Take a look at Iowa’s ranking in all the important offensive statistical categories each of those years
Iowa has averaged ~9 wins each of the full seasons Brian has been OC, as well as 6-2 last year. That includes inheriting the worst receiving corps in 2017 I’ve ever seen. And last year we had the second best scoring offense (per game) of the Kirk era. Criticize Brian for a lot of things, but we’ve also been quite successful as a team since he’s called plays. You can’t argue with a straight face that we’ve won all those games in spite of him.

Its not pretty, but it helps win games, and that’s all I care about.

I honestly think he would be a better HC than a coordinator. He is decent at position coaching but not very good at calling plays cohesively. I could see him being a better administrator of a program when he sets the game plan and style, recruits, and leads the team but doesn’t get into the details play by play.

What are you basing this on ?

KOK was really innovative and brilliant during his first 6 years or so, then he got stale.Greg Davis was just awful from the beginning. BF has been better than Davis but hasn’t really lit a fire, either. I‘m sure if KF ever does have to replace Brian, it will be with someone conservative. Personally, I’d love to see Drew Tate come in replace KOK as QB coach with the idea of grooming him as an OC. The guy knows passing offenses, was always creative as a player, has coached in the CFL and has the pedigree with his own father having been a very successful high school coach. Just a wild idea that will never happen.

Reactions: NashvilleHawk
ADVERTISEMENT