ADVERTISEMENT

Running it into the ground

Macbride79

All-Conference
Oct 16, 2021
If Kirk remains head coach at Iowa for another 3 years (no pressure on him at all), he will end up running it into the ground.

Reasons:
1) Offense oriented era in college football — KF offensive scheme is outdated
2) Blocking rules changes — KF can’t adjust
3) Importance of transfer portal as a tool to at least try to address personnel issues — KF doesn’t use it (Washington can get a bunch of effective transfers, but Iowa doesn’t)
4) Sticking with an immobile QB

Kirk’s most ardent supporters on this site (BBhawk, Frosty, etc.) will argue that Kirk can stay as long as he wants. If KF stays another 2-3 years, the program will be in worse shape than Kirk found it in December 1998.

Last edited:
If Kirk remains head coach at Iowa for another 3 years (no pressure on him at all), he will end up running it into the ground.

Reasons:
3) Importance of transfer portal as a tool to at least try to address personnel issues — KF doesn’t use it (Washington can get a bunch of effective transfers, but Iowa doesn’t)

Kirk’s most ardent supporters on this site (BBhawk, Frosty, etc.) will argue that Kirk can stay as long as he wants. If KF stays another 2-3 years, the program will be in worse shape than Kirk found fit in December 1998.
Look I’m just as angry with all things Iowa offense as anyone—I’d be willing to bet even more so than most. This is an absurd statement. There is no possible scenario, barring major program sanctions, KF leaves this place worse than he found it. While there have been periods and decisions of absolute deserved criticism KF has done an outstanding job as head coach, and as a representative of the university. He’s a great man and I for one am thankful for his time here.

He has been doing this for a while only focusing on the defensive side and not offensive look at our stats as the years go on. Good guy probably a great guy but is killing it right now. Football does not look like it's his focus.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Look I’m just as angry with all things Iowa offense as anyone—I’d be willing to bet even more so than most. This is an absurd statement. There is no possible scenario, barring major program sanctions, KF leaves this place worse than he found it. While there have been periods and decisions of absolute deserved criticism KF has done an outstanding job as head coach, and as a representative of the university. He’s a great man and I for one am thankful for his time here.
His time here would be over at almost any other university. Unfortunately Barta has him extended into another five years minimum. He’s got this thing in a nosedive now and it’s going to be tough to turn around under KF-style leadership. He won’t change a damn thing and kids are going to flee this style of play. He’s gotta go, but barta screwed us into a long term deal that prevents it.

Reactions: amahawk

Reasons:

Kirk’s most ardent supporters on this site (BBhawk, Frosty, etc.) will argue that Kirk can stay as long as he wants. If KF stays another 2-3 years, the program will be in worse shape than Kirk found it in December 1998.
I agree with all of your points, but would add his nepotism.

His time here would be over at almost any other university. Unfortunately Barta has him extended into another five years minimum. He’s got this thing in a nosedive now and it’s going to be tough to turn around under KF-style leadership. He won’t change a damn thing and kids are going to flee this style of play. He’s gotta go, but barta screwed us into a long term deal that prevents it.
My contention is simply that he won’t leave the program worse than he found it.

He stopped being that good guy whose legacy you want to preserve so badly when he hired his son. It's kinda hard to be the poster boy for integrity when he commits nepotism. Until that happened, I would have agreed with you.

The only way to force Kirk out is to remove Brian as the OC. Nepotism is an ugly practice, especially in the current situation where a change needs to be made based on merit. At any other P5 program he would have been fired already for poor performance. Yet Brian remains employed simply due to his last name being Ferentz.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
The one thing that annoys me is at Kirks presser he was asked if he would consider any coaching changes, and Kirk said "We won 10 games last year" and something about having a good record since 2015. I think the reporter should have said that's great, but this is not last year, and to be honest, last year's offense wasn't any better then this years. I have been a big supporter of Kirks for many years, and I love what he has done for the team and the school with his donations to the Children's hospital, but his teams have declined significantly since Nate Stanley left. He's had very good recruiting classes the past few years, so why is it not showing up on the field? Personally, I wish Kirk just retire. The fact that everyone in the state of Iowa has known that Spencer Petras was not a good QB last year and Kirk did not make a conscience effort to find a transfer portal QB shows he is not doing what is best for the team.

No it’s really not… opinions are like assholes and everyone has one

The one thing that annoys me is at Kirks presser he was asked if he would consider any coaching changes, and Kirk said "We won 10 games last year" and something about having a good record since 2015. I think the reporter should have said that's great, but this is not last year, and to be honest, last year's offense wasn't any better then this years. I have been a big supporter of Kirks for many years, and I love what he has done for the team and the school with his donations to the Children's hospital, but his teams have declined significantly since Nate Stanley left. He's had very good recruiting classes the past few years, so why is it not showing up on the field? Personally, I wish Kirk just retire. The fact that everyone in the state of Iowa has known that Spencer Petras was not a good QB last year and Kirk did not make a conscience effort to find a transfer portal QB shows he is not doing what is best for the team.
Well said. When it goes, it goes fast. It did for Hayden and appears something similar is happening here, although for different reasons. KF's worst decision of his coaching career was naming his son as the OC. He has to live with that. It's put him in a position where he doubled down on a terrible offense last year, when it would have been the right time to convince the OC to move on. But he owns it, there were zero changes other than moving on from the QB coach and bringing that under BF's purview also.

And things will get even uglier for the rest of the year. OSU will be name the score Saturday, and the rest of the schedule is full of teams that either hate Iowa (Northwestern, Purdue and Wisconsin) or those that are tired of getting beat by KF for 6 years running (Nebraska and Minnesota).

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
He has been doing this for a while only focusing on the defensive side and not offensive look at our stats as the years go on. Good guy probably a great guy but is killing it right now. Football does not look like it's his focus.
Oh, he is focused on the offense. He is not allowed on the defensive side of the ball

My contention is simply that he won’t leave the program worse than he found it.
I disagree. I have a gut feeling we are going to see a Mass exodus into the portal this year from any of our remaining top players on offense. I have a bad feeling. This season already has likely killed recruiting. Teams we are competing with recruiting-wise are using our horrible situation against us and it is working. We will lose proctor as well if it gets any worse. This flat spin is going nose dive quickly. Things move very fast in CFB nowadays and we have a coach who is living 25 years ago.

I disagree. I have a gut feeling we are going to see a Mass exodus into the portal this year from any of our remaining top players on offense. I have a bad feeling. This season already has likely killed recruiting. Teams we are competing with recruiting-wise are using our horrible situation against us and it is working. We will lose proctor as well if it gets any worse. This flat spin is going nose dive quickly. Things move very fast in CFB nowadays and we have a coach who is living 25 years ago.
We very well may see an exodus. But we’re still going to be in better shape than KFs 1st year.
But I agree with the living 25 years ago statement. So aggravating.

But we’re still going to be in better shape than KFs 1st year.
Kirks first year wasn't his fault. Ironically we are seeing the same thing happen to our program with kirk that Hayden did. We have only won 3 games so far. I'm not sure if I see another win. However, the 1999 offense was WAY WAY WAY WAY better than this team. So I have no idea why you think this team is better than Kriks first year.

Kirks first year wasn't his fault. Ironically we are seeing the same thing happen to our program with kirk that Hayden did. We have only won 3 games so far. I'm not sure if I see another win. However, the 1999 offense was WAY WAY WAY WAY better than this team. So I have no idea why you think this team is better than Kriks first year.
Really….? We’re far more talented, top to bottom than KFs first team. This is not debatable. A different coach and staff could do damage with this team. Vince Lombardi would have had the same record as KF did that first year.

Really….? We’re far more talented, top to bottom than KFs first team. This is not debatable. A different coach and staff could do damage with this team. Vince Lombardi would have had the same record as KF did that first year.
We aren't talking about now, we are talking about when he leaves and no one knows when that is. Iowa had winning teams and a good amount of talent in 3 of the last 4 years before Kirk took over. Future NFLers Betts, Kasper, K Hill, Wheatley, Flemister, Woods, Kampman, and Bowen were on that 99 roster he inherited so it's not like the program was completely dead. Most of the leaders on that 01 alamo team were Hayden recruits

I sure hope you're right but if there's one thing the end of Hayden's career showed is things can go bad very fast and this year isn't looking good at all....and in the transfer era there could be a mass exodus if this shit keeps up so I wouldn't be too confident. Kirk is making 7 million a year now so his incentive to stick around longer than he should is definitely there, I guess we shall see how it goes

We aren't talking about now, we are talking about when he leaves and no one knows when that is. Iowa had winning teams and a good amount of talent in 3 of the last 4 years before Kirk took over. Future NFLers Betts, Kasper, K Hill, Wheatley, Flemister, Woods, Kampman, and Bowen were on that 99 roster he inherited so it's not like the program was completely dead. Most of the leaders on that 01 alamo team were Hayden recruits

I sure hope you're right but if there's one thing the end of Hayden's career showed is things can go bad very fast and this year isn't looking good at all....and in the transfer era there could be a mass exodus if this shit keeps up so I wouldn't be too confident. Kirk is making 7 million a year now so his incentive to stick around longer than he should is definitely there, I guess we shall see how it goes
Read here:

leonardo dicaprio GIF

Read here:
Yeah so what's up with the post that even with an exodus we will be better off than Kirk's first year? That offense was much better than this one. Iowa is a Phil departure and some transfers away from total disaster right now, not to mention if Kirk wants to run things into the dirt with his stubbornness
We very well may see an exodus. But we’re still going to be in better shape than KFs 1st year.
But I agree with the living 25 years ago statement. So aggravating.

Are KF gifts to hospital is less than the salary BF is pulling in? Giving to hospital is commendable, but the guy is probably worth $70 million from Iowa.

Anyway, it is about football....the offense is as bad as it gets, so at least give Labas or May a chance and move on. This stubborness to replace a QB is really and FU to fans so not surprising fans are angry.

Yeah so what's up with the post that even with an exodus we will be better off than Kirk's first year? That offense was much better than this one. Iowa is a Phil departure and some transfers away from total disaster right now, not to mention if Kirk wants to run things into the dirt with his stubbornness
Bc we’re a hell of a lot more deep than that first team. Unless we see 30 guys leave on the offensive side of the ball we’ll still be in better shape.

ADVERTISEMENT