ADVERTISEMENT

Russia to Launch Space Station Rescue Mission to Bring Astronauts Home

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Russia on Wednesday said it would send an empty spacecraft to the International Space Station to bring three astronauts back to Earth. The spacecraft will replace a damaged Soyuz capsule that is docked to the orbital outpost.
The move will extend the stay in space of the three astronauts, Sergey Prokopyev and Dmitriy Petelin of Russia and Frank Rubio of NASA, who were to return in the Soyuz. The damaged vessel will return to Earth empty.
The Soyuz is the only spacecraft currently used by Russia to transport astronauts to and from the I.S.S. On Dec. 14, a spray of white particles started spewing out of a Soyuz that had been docked to the orbital base since September. The incident occurred just as Mr. Prokopyev and Mr. Petelin were about to begin a spacewalk. The spacewalk was canceled. The white particles were coolant from the Soyuz, and the leak continued for hours until the damaged cooling loop was empty.

Since then, astronauts used a camera at the end of a robotic arm on the space station to inspect the leak as engineers on the ground studied whether the Soyuz was still safe enough for passengers to fly home.
Advertisement
Continue reading the main story

On Wednesday, Roscosmos, the state corporation that oversees Russia’s space industry, announced that the damaged Soyuz would return to Earth with no crew aboard. The empty replacement Soyuz is expected to launch on Feb. 20.
Roscosmos said the investigation concluded that the damage was caused by a meteoroid strike.
Four other astronauts are currently aboard the International Space Station. They were brought there by Crew Dragon, a capsule built by SpaceX that carries NASA crews to orbit.

• Wow
Reactions: h-hawk
Is that still the case?

"Four other astronauts are currently aboard the International Space Station. They were brought there by Crew Dragon, a capsule built by SpaceX that carries NASA crews to orbit."
I assume it's a numbers game for the poor guy that has to return to Earth in a Soyuz. I wouldn't put an American on a Soyuz capsule. T's and P's, Buzz Lightyear.

I think the decisions made by the government to gut NASA over the last 20 years have been incredibly short sighted and possibly catastrophic to the “bigger picture”. Space exploration should be a priority. Earth is on the clock. Who knows how long it will be habitable. If the species is to survive, we need to diversify our planet habitation. Maybe I’m too much of a sci fi nerd, but it seems like we should be putting way more resources into exit strategies.

I think the decisions made by the government to gut NASA over the last 20 years have been incredibly short sighted and possibly catastrophic to the “bigger picture”. Space exploration should be a priority. Earth is on the clock. Who knows how long it will be habitable. If the species is to survive, we need to diversify our planet habitation. Maybe I’m too much of a sci fi nerd, but it seems like we should be putting way more resources into exit strategies.
Have people not been watching videos of Spacex tech. Private industry is doing a hell of a job. First company to mine an asteroid will be the most valuable company on earth.

Have people not been watching videos of Spacex tech. Private industry is doing a hell of a job. First company to mine an asteroid will be the most valuable company on earth.

That's one thing that's great about the first Avatar movie. Protagonist is a grunt who becomes a paraplegic in the "Venezuela campaign" and in this future they absolutely definitely can cure paralysis, but only if you're wealthy. Instead he is lucky a private company poured billions into an Avatar for his identical twin brother who caught the dead so they bring him along to mine Pandora and the company is actually contracting the military rather than the other way around only this time explicitly. James Cameron rules.

Reactions: Bonerfarts
That's one thing that's great about the first Avatar movie. Protagonist is a grunt who becomes a paraplegic in the "Venezuela campaign" and in this future they absolutely definitely can cure paralysis, but only if you're wealthy. Instead he is lucky a private company poured billions into an Avatar for his identical twin brother who caught the dead so they bring him along to mine Pandora and the company is actually contracting the military rather than the other way around only this time explicitly. James Cameron rules.
Yeah, but the overall plot is dances with wolves in space.

Reactions: cigaretteman
The first Avatar documentary?

Reactions: ConvenientParking

There is no planet yet discovered more habitable than the worst case scenario for earth prior to the sun’s demise. So we have a few billion years to work on it.

Reactions: Madman_1

SpaceX≠NASA. I'm thankful that private industry is doing something, but at the end of the day they are a for profit business with their own interests in mind. NASA at least theoretically was in existence for the betterment of mankind and exploration for the sake of exploration.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Can you explain to me the thought process that led you to that conclusion?
SA is saying it's woke if you don't hire white males. It's really not that difficult to figure out. Keep at it. You'll get there eventually.

The whole point was to let the private market take over the near earth orbit exploration. I think it is working very well. SpaceX services and others are far cheaper to launch things into space than NASA and up to this point, they have a pretty good record of accomplishing the missions they are paid to do.

Unfortunately, instead of being able to move those funds to other projects NASA just had their budget cut, at least until recently. With China's increased exploration activity there is more motivation to put NASA higher on the priority list. Right now China is building a moon base on the far side of the moon and we don't really have any way to keep an eye on what they are doing. They also want to build a base at the south pole so they can take advantage of the ice that has been discovered down there. Who knows how they will respond if they get there first and NASA tries to build their own base there. Our Space Marines in the Space Force might actually have a purpose then!

WZmEIy.gif

SA is saying it's woke if you don't hire white males. It's really not that difficult to figure out. Keep at it. You'll get there eventually.

SA said "Hiring based on diversity instead of ability is stupid and dangerous. See current VP."

That is the statement you responded to.

Can you give an answer that makes sense this time?

ADVERTISEMENT