ADVERTISEMENT

Russian money to the NRA...

Hawk8595

HR Heisman
Dec 3, 2008
The NRA wrote a letter admitting it. (this is for OIT)

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/11/nra-russia-money-guns-516804

The National Rifle Association reported this week that it received more money from people with Russian ties than it has previously acknowledged, but announced that it was officially done cooperating with a congressional inquiry exploring whether illicit Kremlin-linked funding passed through the NRA and into Donald Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign, Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) said on Wednesday.

Wyden released a letter from the NRA, dated Tuesday, in which the gun rights group reported receiving $2,512.85 in contributions and membership dues “from people associated with Russian addresses” or known Russian nationals living in the United States from 2015 to the present. In the past, a congressional aide to Wyden said, the group had confirmed receiving only one financial contribution, in the form of a lifetime membership purchased by Alexander Torshin, a Russian banker.

Were the Russians also writing Dana Loesch's commentary as well? It sure seemed to be meant to divide.

The thread is in response to OIT's "bullcrap. you guys and the Russia fantasies" in response to A Russian money to the NRA post.

Also from the article:"but announced that it was officially done cooperating with a congressional inquiry" That's a real patriotic attitude by those folks.

Also from the article:"McClatchy reported in January that the FBI was investigating whether Torshin, a deputy governor of Russia’s central bank, sent money to the NRA in an effort to secretly boost Trump’s presidential campaign." There is no indication in this article that the investigation is over.

Yep...$2500. How was Hillary ever supposed to compete against that with only a $2B warchest and hundreds of millions given from Russian connected individuals to her "charitable foundation"? Obviously we need another multi-million dollar investigation to get to the bottom of this $2500.

So basically "We acknowledge that we have been taking money from nationals of an enemy of the United States and we refuse to answer any more questions about it."

art.clintonlavrov1.gi.jpg

Enemies?

To those that care... the amount of $$$ given is irrelevant. The simple fact that money was involved indicates involvement and an attempt to influence.

Cons can spin this any way they wish, but if true, it's very disturbing and should be cause for concern.

Reactions: srams21
Yep...$2500. How was Hillary ever supposed to compete against that with only a $2B warchest and hundreds of millions given from Russian connected individuals to her "charitable foundation"? Obviously we need another multi-million dollar investigation to get to the bottom of this $2500.

Protip: there's more than $2500; this is just all they are currently "admitting" to and disclosing publicly. The rest comes up via subpoena.

Protip: there's more than $2500; this is just all they are currently "admitting" to and disclosing publicly. The rest comes up via subpoena.
This will be fun. Let's just start harassing and sending subpoenas to every non-profit politically opposed to us on whatever issue. That should be good for the country and elevate the dialog. For bonus points, we should all be massive partisan hypocrites about it. Joe McCarthy would be so proud of the Democrats right now.

Reactions: rocketclone
This will be fun. Let's just start harassing and sending subpoenas to every non-profit politically opposed to us on whatever issue. That should be good for the country and elevate the dialog. For bonus points, we should all be massive partisan hypocrites about it. Joe McCarthy would be so proud of the Democrats right now.
Should the NRA be accepting money from foreign nationals? Yes or No?

Should the NRA be accepting money from foreign nationals? Yes or No?
I honestly don't know what the laws are on that. Do democrats accept money from immigration advocacy groups who collect donations from undocumented aliens and foreign interests? Not really seeing the big deal here. So, i guess i am a soft yes? And the amount of money we are talking about, even if it is 100x higher, is a joke. The democrats are just so hysterical about Trump and so scope locked on Russian bogeymen that I think they have lost any ability for perspective or rational behavior here.

This will be fun. Let's just start harassing and sending subpoenas to every non-profit politically opposed to us on whatever issue.

LOLWUT? The FBI has already identified Russian oligarchs with NRA ties. I'd bet my 401k that it's more than "just a membership fee", particularly when you're talking about NRA-linked SuperPACS.

Dems get control of the House this fall and you'll start to see less influence from the gun nuts. And that can't come soon enough for the good of Merica.

I wouldn't bet on it. They always have a way of consolidating power when they are on the outside looking it. Remember how much the ol' "the tree of liberty must be watered with blood of tyrants" meme got played during the Obama years? That crap works for those single issue voters.

I honestly don't know what the laws are on that. Do democrats accept money from immigration advocacy groups who collect donations from undocumented aliens and foreign interests? Not really seeing the big deal here. So, i guess i am a soft yes? And the amount of money we are talking about, even if it is 100x higher, is a joke. The democrats are just so hysterical about Trump and so scope locked on Russian bogeymen that I think they have lost any ability for perspective or rational behavior here.

Yet here you are telling everyone there's nothing to this.

Reactions: srams21
Yet here you are telling everyone there's nothing to this.

...he is likewise uninformed that the MAJORITY of the money the NRA spent on the campaign was from related accounts which DO NOT need to disclose the donors....

That is a FACT. (Oh, and they spent like 2x or 3x more on Trump than on the Romney 2012 election - also a FACT - perhaps because they had "more rolling in from somewhere"....)

Reactions: SL Hawk Fan
Think more than the $500,000 russians sent the clinton foundation?
1. As Joe stated, Clinton Foundation is not a political lobbying group, nor do the Clintons get money out of there. AND, the Clinton Foundation is audited annually, with its financial statements and disclosures freely available. Can you say that about ANYTHING related to Trump or the NRA?
2. I seem to recall that the amount of money the NRA put into the 2016 election essentially doubled from prior elections, going from around $15MM to over $30MM. I also seem to recall that there is a partial trail that shows how this amount of money flowed from Russian hands to NRA hands to various PACS and then to various Republican campaign organizations, including Trumps. And thanks to Citizen's United, we are prevented from seeing the entire money trail.

I also seem to recall that there is a partial trail that shows how this amount of money flowed from Russian hands to NRA hands to various PACS and then to various Republican campaign organizations, including Trumps. And thanks to Citizen's United, we are prevented from seeing the entire money trail.

...and, important to point out: the money the NRA is referring to here is "membership" stuff and direct donations, which DO need to be disclosed. The money referred to above is PAC money, and is FAR more easily hidden or laundered, to hide its sources.

Is it really necessary to point out that one Michael Cohen is already tagged with "money laundering" thru his Essential Consultants gig? Anyone truly think there are NOT dozens, if not hundreds more of those out there?

Oh, and I'm sure the Dems have done their fair share of shady shit with SuperPACS, too. But, have they taken any money from the Russians?

1. As Joe stated, Clinton Foundation is not a political lobbying group, nor do the Clintons get money out of there. AND, the Clinton Foundation is audited annually, with its financial statements and disclosures freely available. Can you say that about ANYTHING related to Trump or the NRA?
2. I seem to recall that the amount of money the NRA put into the 2016 election essentially doubled from prior elections, going from around $15MM to over $30MM. I also seem to recall that there is a partial trail that shows how this amount of money flowed from Russian hands to NRA hands to various PACS and then to various Republican campaign organizations, including Trumps. And thanks to Citizen's United, we are prevented from seeing the entire money trail.

Got it. Which do you have more of a problem with?
Joe?

...and, important to point out: the money the NRA is referring to here is "membership" stuff and direct donations, which DO need to be disclosed. The money referred to above is PAC money, and is FAR more easily hidden or laundered, to hide its sources.

Is it really necessary to point out that one Michael Cohen is already tagged with "money laundering" thru his Essential Consultants gig? Anyone truly think there are NOT dozens, if not hundreds more of those out there?

Oh, and I'm sure the Dems have done their fair share of shady shit with SuperPACS, too. But, have they taken any money from the Russians?
Which countries are we allowed to accept money from? Just the Saudi's who are carrying out genocide in Yemen as we speak because their brand of Islam is not 'kosher'. It did get them $400 Billion in weapons from our MIC. How about Israel and AIPAC? They, along with the Sauds
's, own Washington. How much have they paid for U.S. weapons while Washington looks the other way as they carry out genocide?

You couple this with the $276K, that's THOUSANDS in Facebook click bait farm ads and you have a real battle on your hands. Hillary had no idea of the odds before her.

$5,000 to the NRA or $500k plus to the clinton foundation.
Those two choices are complete apples and oranges, but I'll answer. Neither is a good thing. I have a bigger problem with the NRA contribution, simply because there's no "redeeming aspect" to this one.

With donations to the CF, at least some good comes from this, because a large chunk of those dollars are actually put to good/charitable use. And yes, I realize that the reason why those contributions were made was so that the contributor could likely gain access and possibly favorable treatment from the Clintons.

With the NRA donations, this is just a miniscule portion of the total funds coming in from foreign sources to influence the election. Furthermore, its become obvious that these foreign funds came with "strings attached" that has resulted in Trump making policy decisions that are in his best interests, rather than the country's.

To me the situation with the NRA is just more "cynical" in nature, and that's what makes it worse, IMO.

In my whispering voice, "If the Russians are coming, shouldn't we all arm ourselves to fight off the Big Bad Bear?"

ADVERTISEMENT