ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Game Day Advice Needed

Jul 25, 2001
Rutgers fan here and long time lurker on these boards. I'm hoping to get some feedback for our group of 6 that are visiting for the upcoming Rutgers/Iowa game on Sept. 7. Iowa is my #2 favorite team as my daughter is an Iowa grad so, like the joke, I can truly say my daughter and my money went to Iowa. It's been 5+ years since I last attended a game at Kinnick and I have a few questions.

I seem to recall that visiting teams had tickets located behind their bench near the 10 yard line or so. Is that still the location for visiting team tickets?

I've tailgated at the parking lot nearby the Library in Iowa City. Is it still a cash lot with no parking pass needed on game day?

We fly in on Friday and most of our group have never been to Iowa before. I'd like to take them for lunch somewhere with the spirit for Iowa football. I'm been to The Vine in Coralville and liked all the Iowa banners hanging from the ceiling. Any other bars/restaurants recommendations?

Any suggestions for restaurants for dinner after the game? I recall most restaurants are packed on Saturday evenings after a game. I already have reservations for Friday evening at one of my favorites the Iowa River Power restaurant.

We're staying to Monday so I'm open to any ideas for things to do on Sunday in or around Iowa City? I've never been to the sports hall of fame. Is that worth a visit?

Thanks in advance for any responses and looking forward to our game.

Yes the library lot is still open to the general public. As far as tickets go they stopped giving the best visitor seats you're going to find in the Big ten maybe the country to our visitors. You're now higher up. But for this game if you don't mind sitting by Iowa fans you can just buy any ticket and probably get a better seat.

Last edited:
You may not enjoy the game but iowa city is great and the fans will be friendly.If your renting a car on Sunday head over to Williamsburg 20 miles to the west to Tanger factory outlet for shopping you will enjoy it

If you are renting cars you should go to the Amanda colonies on Sunday . Close to Iowa city. Thanks for visiting and enjoy your stay.

Sorry to disagree with LTH, but don't waste your time with the Amanas. If you've been to Lancaster county PA, you've seen it. Big bowls of food like your Grandma made and lots of knitted stuff and antiques. If you're into that kind of thing, go ahead.

A great pork tenderloin would be very IOWA. If you want unique Iowa City the Hamburg Inn #2 for breakfast is a must. Quirky little place with some history. (check out the walls). Several great pizza joints (which could be a thread of its own). Pagliai's is an Iowa City mainstay (guaranteed to burn the roof of your mouth the first time). Have a beer at Joe's Place downtown...the oldest student bar in IC. Plenty of other great places but those 3 are truly unique U of I / Iowa City.

and Wadz is right...IOWA fans will be more than happy to engage and maybe even offer you a beer. Tell em you road tripped to see Iowa City and you'll get plenty of info.

Last edited:
You may not enjoy the game but iowa city is great and the fans will be friendly.If your renting a car on Sunday head over to Williamsburg 20 miles to the west to Tanger factory outlet for shopping you will enjoy it
LMFAO. I think last time I checked Tanger was ranked #4 on the best things to do in Iowa City. Only do this if in desperate need of old Nike gear.

No, but really Amana Colonies depends on your crowd. If you like a slow relaxed pace, a good meal, some homemade fudge, and some of the Iowa’s best beer it might be a good go. Beautiful golf course if you bring your clubs.

Sorry to disagree with LTH, but don't waste you time with the Amanas. If you've been to Lancaster county PA, you've seen it. Big bowls of food like your Grandma made and lots of knitted stuff and antiques. If you're into that kind of thing, go ahead.

A great pork tenderloin would be very IOWA. If you want unique Iowa City the Hamburg Inn #2 for breakfast is a must. Quirky little place with some history. (check out the walls). Several great pizza joints (which could be a thread of its own). Pagliai's is an Iowa City mainstay (guaranteed to burn the roof of your mouth the first time). Have a beer at Joe's Place downtown...the oldest student bar in IC. Plenty of other great places but those 3 are truly unique U of I / Iowa City.

and Wadz is right...IOWA fans will be more than happy to engage and maybe even offer you a beer. Tell em you road tripped to see Iowa City and you'll get plenty of info.

Funny story. A few years back our group made it out to Lincoln for the Rutgers/ Nebraska game. While tailgating we struck up numerous conversations with the locals who were very friendly towards us. While talking with one group, we asked what other Big Ten venues were good to visit. They were highly complimentary about almost everyone BUT they made a point to say the one place you don’t want to visit is Iowa City while my daughter, the Iowa grad, was standing next to me. We still get a good laugh about it.

Hamburg Inn is a good suggestion and we hope to get breakfast there one morning. Pork tenderloin is one of our tailgating mainstays. I’ll have to find a good place for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Danny03
Funny story. A few years back our group made it out to Lincoln for the Rutgers/ Nebraska game. While tailgating we struck up numerous conversations with the locals who were very friendly towards us. While talking with one group, we asked what other Big Ten venues were good to visit. They were highly complimentary about almost everyone BUT they made a point to say the one place you don’t want to visit is Iowa City while my daughter, the Iowa grad, was standing next to me. We still get a good laugh about it.

Only a Husker. Iowa City always gets ranked among great college towns, best small cities, etc. Only someone who lives in Nebraska wouldn't get that. I've been to Lincoln a number of times...it ain't much.

Enjoy your visit, man.

Rutgers fan here and long time lurker on these boards. I'm hoping to get some feedback for our group of 6 that are visiting for the upcoming Rutgers/Iowa game on Sept. 7. Iowa is my #2 favorite team as my daughter is an Iowa grad so, like the joke, I can truly say my daughter and my money went to Iowa. It's been 5+ years since I last attended a game at Kinnick and I have a few questions.

I seem to recall that visiting teams had tickets located behind their bench near the 10 yard line or so. Is that still the location for visiting team tickets?

I've tailgated at the parking lot nearby the Library in Iowa City. Is it still a cash lot with no parking pass needed on game day?

We fly in on Friday and most of our group have never been to Iowa before. I'd like to take them for lunch somewhere with the spirit for Iowa football. I'm been to The Vine in Coralville and liked all the Iowa banners hanging from the ceiling. Any other bars/restaurants recommendations?

Any suggestions for restaurants for dinner after the game? I recall most restaurants are packed on Saturday evenings after a game. I already have reservations for Friday evening at one of my favorites the Iowa River Power restaurant.

We're staying to Monday so I'm open to any ideas for things to do on Sunday in or around Iowa City? I've never been to the sports hall of fame. Is that worth a visit?

If you are a whiskey or wine person cedar ridge 10 miles north of Iowa city is great. Big grove brewery is a good place for local beer. Huge open space with the brewery maybe a mile from the ped mall with lot of outdoor seating. Also have one with better food up in Solon.

https://crwine.com/

Two words for Sunday:

Amana Colonies (my personal favorite is The Ronneburg).

Reactions: Ready to Rumble
Sorry to disagree with LTH, but don't waste your time with the Amanas. If you've been to Lancaster county PA, you've seen it. Big bowls of food like your Grandma made and lots of knitted stuff and antiques. If you're into that kind of thing, go ahead.

Amana has wine and brew also. Millstream is decent and was one of the earlier microbreweries.

Where are you traveling from and what do you like? I would not go to the outlet mall nor the Amana Colonies. Stay in the downtown IC area and you can't go wrong. There are plenty of good restaurants and bars in the Ped Mall (Downtown IC).

Where are you traveling from and what do you like? I would not go to the outlet mall nor the Amana Colonies. Stay in the downtown IC area and you can't go wrong. There are plenty of good restaurants and bars in the Ped Mall (Downtown IC).

I would agree with this as well. I would say if your group is big on golf, there are some nice courses in the area. If that's of interest, people that live in the Iowa City & Cedar Rapids area will be able to chime in with course ideas.

For Sunday activities, I'd recommend Cedar Ridge Winery and Distillery near Swisher. The have a great Sunday brunch - you'll want to make reservations early as they fill up. While Iowa wines aren't much to write home about, Cedar Ridge produces some terrific Bourbon, Rye, and Single Malt Whiskey...they've won a ton of awards. You can sit outside and sip cocktails after brunch then take home a bottle of your favorite whiskey.

You can also visit Wilson's Orchard just north of Iowa City. Early apples should be ripening and they make outstanding pies, turnovers, and cider on-site. There's also a really good restaurant next door, Rapid Creek Cidery, that has a good brunch as well.

If it were my group of friends (upper 30’s and low 40’s) we would probably:

hit the ped mall Friday night.

Saturday - game

Saturday night - head to Riverside for a little gambling and watching the late games.

Sunday - play 18 at Finkbine or Saddleback and try and watch some NFL as it should be opening week.

*Another thumbs down on Williamsburg outlet mall. Even if the ladies are with, it’s not very impressive.

Hey RtR I used to live in Princeton. Any chance you could bring me a couple liters of Bengal IPA from Triumph? Best IPA IMO! It's liquid gold to me.

Seriously, your best bets for IC are Wig & Pen Flying Tomato Pizza w/ Sausage + Pepperoni. Killer thick, but not deep dish pizza!
If you want to golf consider the Amana Colonies course. One of the best in Iowa. Finkbine, Saddleback and Brown Deer are good suggestions too.
The Ped mall for drinks and/ or dinner. There a a bunch of very good places that have good food.
Then hit the George's gyro cart for a late night gyro that will soak up the alcohol and is the perfect way to polish off a game day in IC. Ask for xtra tzatziki sauce.

p.s. The outlet stores in Williamsburg is the worst idea ever.

Last edited:

I assume you are driving because you asked about parking:). Tin Roost in North Liberty has a nice pork T. The chef there used to own Augusta and I believe he brought his "Best in Iowa" pork T with him. Also a great tap selection if you like beer. This is far enough from Kinnick and it has a huge outside seating area so you should have no trouble getting seated.

The Wig and Pen is a must stop. Great pizza, thin and deep dish. And free eye candy as well;) Save it for Sunday or Monday as it will be PACKED after the game.

The University of Iowa Sports Hall of Fame is worthwhile. Free admission, open Sundays 12 - 5 currently.

Have fun!

I appreciate all of the great responses. We’re flying in from NJ and renting a car for the weekend so getting to destinations outside of Iowa City wouldn’t be a problem. The suggestions for the local watering holes for beer, whiskey and maybe the wine are all possibilities. We’re big fans of craft beers in particular and will probably stumble into Pints, the Wig and Pen and the Pedestrian mall. I’m all in for some Iowa pork so the Tin Roost sounds like a good choice.

NJ is the land of discount malls so personally I’d pass on the shopping as I’d rather see different things. I do hope to pick up some Hawkeye gear as most of my Iowa garb is pretty worn out since I last visited. My favorite T-shirt is a Kinnick shirt. I’ve been out to the American Pickers store in LeClaire and enjoyed it as it’s unique and I’m a fan of the show. I’m also hoping to see the Iowa Sports Hall of Fame. Should be a fun weekend!

I appreciate all of the great responses. We’re flying in from NJ and renting a car for the weekend so getting to destinations outside of Iowa City wouldn’t be a problem. The suggestions for the local watering holes for beer, whiskey and maybe the wine are all possibilities. We’re big fans of craft beers in particular and will probably stumble into Pints, the Wig and Pen and the Pedestrian mall. I’m all in for some Iowa pork so the Tin Roost sounds like a good choice.

NJ is the land of discount malls so personally I’d pass on the shopping as I’d rather see different things. I do hope to pick up some Hawkeye gear as most of my Iowa garb is pretty worn out since I last visited. My favorite T-shirt is a Kinnick shirt. I’ve been out to the American Pickers store in LeClaire and enjoyed it as it’s unique and I’m a fan of the show. I’m also hoping to see the Iowa Sports Hall of Fame. Should be a fun weekend!
If you like craft beer, make a point to get to Big Grove brewery/tap room in Iowa City. It is not your usual tap room - Google it. Probably 60 beers on tap. Also, 30Hop in Coralville has good food and about 70 beers on tap. I am a home brewer and I love these places!

If you like craft beer, make a point to get to Big Grove brewery/tap room in Iowa City. It is not your usual tap room - Google it. Probably 60 beers on tap. Also, 30Hop in Coralville has good food and about 70 beers on tap. I am a home brewer and I love these places!
Excellent. I’m a home brewer as well and there’s a fast growing industry of craft brewers here in NJ. I’m sure we’ll find some time to taste some brews.

Reactions: BBHawk
If you like the vine, I will say it usually is not too hard to get into after a game as half the people drive home and many more tailgate after the game so it gets spread out. If you are downtown the airliner always has good food and beverage and if you don’t need food Joes place is a great spot.

I agree big grove is a great brewery with a great tv situation if you want to watch more games and good beers. I suggest you do not go to pints before 11 pm as it heats up around midnight.

Hope you enjoy Iowa city!

Another Rutgers fan here making the trip to Iowa for the game. We land in CedarRRapids early Thursday & leave at o dark hundred on Sunday morning. Some great suggestions here..much appreciated.

Definitely leave some time before the game and walk around the tailgates. There will be plenty to eat and drink if you approach people. The tailgates are spread out though.

The early morning time slot may have the fans a bit subdued, but the weather should be excellent for football. Make it a point to walk down Melrose Ave.

Definitely leave some time before the game and walk around the tailgates. There will be plenty to eat and drink if you approach people. The tailgates are spread out though.

The early morning time slot may have the fans a bit subdued, but the weather should be excellent for football. Make it a point to walk down Melrose Ave.

thanks! I actually have a friend who lives in Iowa City & works at the hospital. Between him and his wife they are Iowa/Nebraska/Rutgers fans. They are hosting a tailgate...but I will be sure to walk around a bit to say hello.

As a bit of a "public service announcement", there's really only one area you need to be careful with open containers. I'm not sure the police would do much to a visiting fan who is behaving well (which is what I assume any Rutgers fans would be!) but Melrose is not a street where I'd recommend walking around with a beer. If you do, you could be risking a ticket, although this might be more of a "2012 wants its tailgating problems back" comment.

In general, Iowa fans get after it during tailgating and nobody really gets busted for any alcohol violations unless they're doing something to clearly deserve it.

As a bit of a "public service announcement", there's really only one area you need to be careful with open containers. I'm not sure the police would do much to a visiting fan who is behaving well (which is what I assume any Rutgers fans would be!) but Melrose is not a street where I'd recommend walking around with a beer. If you do, you could be risking a ticket, although this might be more of a "2012 wants its tailgating problems back" comment.

In general, Iowa fans get after it during tailgating and nobody really gets busted for any alcohol violations unless they're doing something to clearly deserve it.
I think they still have that rule but the walking around with an open beer isn't something they enforce like they did at first. One thing I tell visitors is if you bring hard liquor and are parking on a university lot is don't have it out in the open. Cops have been known to make people dump whole bottles out. But then I've seen other cops say keep it in your cooler with a slight wink.

Last edited:
Reactions: meatloaf55
I think they still have that rule but the walking around with an open beer isn't something they enforce like they did at first. One thing I tell visitors is if you bring hard liquor and are parking on a university lot is don't have it out in the open. Cops have been known to make people dump whole bottles out. But then I've seen other cops say keep it in your cooler with a slight wink.

so alcohol is allegedly not allowed in the university lots? at all? Dumping entire bottles of alcohol???? Our on field product at Rutgers may not be the best but our tailgating ranks in the top 10 for sure. Almost all of us have 6ft long tables set as bars ...with everything and anything. The only thing that is outlawed are kegs.

the tailgate I am attending is in the Green Circle Lot 33...and no alcohol is allowed there until 6am.

so alcohol is allegedly not allowed in the university lots? at all? Dumping entire bottles of alcohol???? Our on field product at Rutgers may not be the best but our tailgating ranks in the top 10 for sure. Almost all of us have 6ft long tables set as bars ...with everything and anything. The only thing that is outlawed are kegs.

the tailgate I am attending is in the Green Circle Lot 33...and no alcohol is allowed there until 6am.
So by Carver Hawkeye Arena(where we play basketball and wrestle)? I'm not saying people don't drink everything. Just people hide it when they see cops. There are a lot of private lots people park at that don't have the restrictions because they are private.

Only beer and wine are allowed in university owned lots (anything goes in privately owned lots). That said, most people simply put their cocktails in red solo cups and hide the liquor bottles. For the most part, if you're not falling down drunk or acting like an ass, the cops will leave you alone.

Only beer and wine are allowed in university owned lots (anything goes in privately owned lots). That said, most people simply put their cocktails in red solo cups and hide the liquor bottles. For the most part, if you're not falling down drunk or acting like an ass, the cops will leave you alone.

Thank God for Red Solo Cups!
fortunately I am never falling down drunk and rarely act like an ass so I should be golden.

Another Rutgers fan here making the trip to Iowa for the game. We land in CedarRRapids early Thursday & leave at o dark hundred on Sunday morning. Some great suggestions here..much appreciated.

Assuming you're coming in from the NY metro area or Philly, I think it's safe to say that your airport experience will be a little different on this end.

If it were my group of friends (upper 30’s and low 40’s) we would probably:

hit the ped mall Friday night.

Saturday - game

Saturday night - head to Riverside for a little gambling and watching the late games.

Sunday - play 18 at Finkbine or Saddleback and try and watch some NFL as it should be opening week.
If you have an opportunity to play golf, Finkbine($62w/cart), Blue Top Ridge(Riverrside $85 before 3:30, $45 after) and Amana($59 w/cart) are the best options. Saddleback, in my opinion, is not worth the money.

*Another thumbs down on Williamsburg outlet mall. Even if the ladies are with, it’s not very impressive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT