ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers game

desihawk

HR Legend
Oct 1, 2002
The good news -- Rutgers put up 16 points and 201 yards on Temple. Just based on those raw numbers i'm thinking iowa D will hold up.
Bad news -- Rutgers seems to have a defense and held Temple to 260 yards and 14 points -- so very likely their D will stymie our O.

First road game for Iowa, it's in a different time zone, after (for all intends and purposes) a short turnaround. So a low scoring game that will go to the wire either way?

Reactions: NevadaHawk
The good news -- Rutgers put up 16 points and 201 yards on Temple. Just based on those raw numbers i'm thinking iowa D will hold up.
Bad news -- Rutgers seems to have a defense and held Temple to 260 yards and 14 points -- so very likely their D will stymie our O.

First road game for Iowa, it's in a different time zone, after (for all intends and purposes) a short turnaround. So a low scoring game that will go to the wire either way?
And the defense scored the only TD of the game.

(for all intends and purposes)
It's "all intensive purposes." Get it right.

Yeah, win or lose, this game has all the makings of a SDSU/ISU-type snoozer.

Fortunately for Iowa, after years and years of traditionally playing terribly on the East and West coasts, their last 2 games (2019 Holiday Bowl, 2021 at Maryland) have gone pretty well. I'm somewhat hopeful that Iowa can pull off a 9-6 type victory to try to keep the season from becoming total trash.

It's "all intensive purposes." Get it right.

Yeah, win or lose, this game has all the makings of a SDSU/ISU-type snoozer.

Fortunately for Iowa, after years and years of traditionally playing terribly on the East and West coasts, their last 2 games (2019 Holiday Bowl, 2021 at Maryland) have gone pretty well. I'm somewhat hopeful that Iowa can pull off a 9-6 type victory to try to keep the season from becoming total trash.
Actually it's "for all intents and purposes".

WOB ruling here.

Reactions: JRHawk2003
Hey Gents:

My grammar is far from perfect and we see a lot of poor usage on these forums, so I normally just bite my tongue. "Meet", you seemed to be in correction mode in your comment and it spurred me to retort. Please, not trying to be offensive. You indirectly expanded my vocabulary this afternoon: I now have heard of the term 'eggcorn'. Found it while checking up on my grammar: https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/usage-for-all-intensive-purposes-intents.

If you intentionally meant something by 'intensive purposes', it was over my head and I'll keep quiet.

Thanks for the banter on my least-enjoyed subject while in school.

Here's to civil conversations, even if we disagree.

Go Hawks!

Reactions: prntennis

Just an FYI. It's intents and purposes. The phrase basically means "in effect". So, what you said is after in effect a short turnaround. The more concise phrasing was to leave it out and simply say after a short turn around.

ADVERTISEMENT