ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers @ Iowa baseball.

What time is BP and are the gates open for fans to watch?

I will post it when I'm back at my computer but there is a tailgate supporting the August trip to Taipei Friday. It begins at 4pm so I'd imagine that's when the gates open.

Heller may do it different, but for 6:05 games BP usually began around 3:30 or so. Adams would be real fun to watch take BP.

This will be a big series for Iowa, they can really separate themselves from the bottom tier of the conference (record wise). I think it will be tough as I don't think Rutgers is nearly as bad their record is.

Regarding tomorrow's tailgate before the game:

Att: Hawkeye Baseball Fans:

All Iowa Hawkeye fans are invited to join Bravo Sports Marketing as we host a pre-game baseball celebration and party on Friday, April 21st at 4:00 pm. Join the many family and friends of Iowa Baseball for the all inclusive pre-game party before Coach Rick Heller's Hawkeyes take on the Scarlet Knights of Rutgers at 6:00 pm in game one of a critical three game weekend series.

The event is open to all Hawkeye fans and will be held in the pavilion just inside the entrance to Duane Banks Field beginning at 4:00 pm. Choose from the ticket/food option or just the food option. All proceeds will go back to UI Baseball to be used for the foreign trip. Help us to raise some money for UI Baseball! Music and some Iowa Baseball Trivia with prizes available for winning!

The Menu for all you can eat buffet: Grilled burgers, brats, chips, potato salad, cookies and bottled water. This party is open to everyone. Come out and support the Hawks!

Meal without game ticket: $10

Meal with game ticket included: $15

Tickets can be picked up at the pre game party from 4:00-6:00.

A big thank you to the Waterfront Hy-Vee Food Store and Mike Hannerhan. Click below for more details and to order your tickets. GO HAWKS!

https://bravosportsmarketing.com/product/iowabaseballparty/

I can't find anywhere on their website where they talk about what time batting practice starts. Being a Friday I'm guessing the visiting team hits first since they'll be in town tonight

Friday - 6:05pm - Nick Gallagher
Saturday - 6:02pm - Ryan Erickson - Game is on BTN
Sunday - 12:05pm - TBA

First 200 fans in on Friday also get #Hellerball t-shirts.

Rutgers has played a fairly tough schedule, but they do have the worse team ERA in the B1G and have committed 60 errors in 34 games. If Iowa gets free bases or any help, they need to take advantage.

http://hawkeyesports.com/news/2017/4/20/baseball-game-notes-rutgers-april-21-23.aspx

Friday - 6:05pm - Nick Gallagher
Saturday - 6:02pm - Ryan Erickson - Game is on BTN
Sunday - 12:05pm - TBA

First 200 fans in on Friday also get #Hellerball t-shirts.

Rutgers has played a fairly tough schedule, but they do have the worse team ERA in the B1G and have committed 60 errors in 34 games. If Iowa gets free bases or any help, they need to take advantage.

http://hawkeyesports.com/news/2017/4/20/baseball-game-notes-rutgers-april-21-23.aspx
Iowa is a very good hitting team and they seem to do particularly well against staffs that are not up to par I like Iowa chances

I can't find anywhere on their website where they talk about what time batting practice starts. Being a Friday I'm guessing the visiting team hits first since they'll be in town tonight

Show up at 3:30-4pm, have a brat or burger and if Iowa is having BP or you see them start then go watch.

Iowa beats Rutgers 8-3 in game one of the series.

-Matt Hoeg was 2-4 with a HR, Double, and 4 RBIs
-Robert Neustrom was 2-4 with a HR, Double, and 2 RBIs
-Mason McCoy was 3-4 with a triple
-Austin Guzzo was 3-4

Pitching wise...
-Nick Gallagher threw 6 innings, 5 H, 2 ER, 4 Walks, 4 K's. He gets credited with the W. Still too many walks to K's from what we've seen. He threw 113 pitches.
-Zach Daniels threw 3 innings, 4 H, 1 ER, 1 Walk, 3 K's, gets his first save of the year. Daniels threw 53 pitches, so I am guessing he is done for the weekend.

Iowa faces Rutgers again on Saturday at 6:05pm. Should be a good night for baseball, so make your way out to Duane Banks Field! If not, the game is also on BTN.

Jake Adams is a man. I have been around college baseball good portion of my life and I don't recall seeing somebody with that much pure power. The ball just jumps off of his bat

And he showed some real athleticism on the three six double play ball

Last edited:
Jake Adams is a man. I have been around college baseball good portion of my life and I don't recall seeing somebody with that much pure power. The ball just jumps off of his back

I can't recall the last time Iowa had someone with power like him. I know we've had Zeutenhorst who had 9 HR his senior year and guys like Jason White/Travis Sweet had some pop. Nothing like Adams though.

Jake Adams is a man. I have been around college baseball good portion of my life and I don't recall seeing somebody with that much pure power. The ball just jumps off of his back

I've said it before but he has the most power I've ever seen from a Hawkeye. As much as I want him back next year, I'm not sure it's going to happen.

Never been to a game at Banks. Supposed to be in the low 70s tomorrow. Might be a good time to make the trip

Iowa is really beating themselves tonight...we have a chance to be in 3rd or back in the back fighting for a B1G tournament spot depending on the result today.

Iowa loses to Rutgers 5-3 in what I would say was one of the worst games I've seen from Iowa in a while. Iowa couldn't really string together any hits to bring runs home and committed three errors which proved to be costly.

-Chris Whelan hit two homeruns tonight. A solo HR and a 2 run HR.
-Ryan Erickson threw 6 innings, 6 H, 4 R (3 ER), 2 walks, 3 K
-Josh Martsching threw 3 innings, 4 H, 1 ER, 1 walk, 2 K's

This is what I would say was a missed opportunity for Iowa tonight. Very winnable game and they had a chance to be in 3rd in the B1G. Also, our RPI was nearing in the 60's prior to the game. Now with the loss we fall back in the pack.

In all honesty, I've been very disappointed with most of our conference loses. So far we are 2-4 vs Rutgers/Northwestern and very winnable games. Iowa has been so-so on Sundays, so we will see what happens. Being 7-5 in the B1G or 6-6 is a big difference. Especially when we don't have the tie breaker vs NW and possibly Rutgers if we lose on Sunday.

Attendance was 1,020 tonight.

I also vote for no more games on BTN, because it seems like besides the B1G tournament in 2016 we always lose on BTN.

You'll be breaking out BAU in week one against Wyoming in football too I am afraid. It has all the makings of it.
What are you afraid of? That Iowa baseball is heading the way of Iowa-NDSU last year in football?

There's plenty more of this season for me to ruin for you, still. No need to blow your wad and start telling us who were gonna lose to in football just yet (or basketball for that matter). Plenty of time for that. You don't want to commit to that before the baseball season is even over. Trust me lol. :cool:

But good luck with watching Iowa continuing to drop games to middle of the road teams they actually shouldn't lose to at this point in Heller's career. ;)

P.S. I do look forward to seeing what you have in store for football and basketball this season. Btw, it's tough to goad people when they already accept that, or are fine with what you're trying to be deliberately pessimistic about (simply just to irritate those said people). But good luck in these upcoming seasons all the same. I'm sure everything will work out for you. :D

What are you afraid of? That Iowa baseball is heading the way of Iowa-NDSU last year in football?

There's plenty more of this season for me to ruin for you, still. No need to blow your wad and start telling us who were gonna lose to in football just yet (or basketball for that matter). Plenty of time for that. You don't want to commit to that before the baseball season is even over. Trust me lol. :cool:

But good luck with watching Iowa continuing to drop games to middle of the road teams they actually shouldn't lose to at this point in Heller's career. ;)

P.S. I do look forward to seeing what you have in store for football and basketball this season. Btw, it's tough to goad people when they already accept that, or are fine with what you're trying to be deliberately pessimistic about (simply just to irritate those said people). But good luck in these upcoming seasons all the same. I'm sure everything will work out for you. :D

Well with that said...

This has probably been one of the more frustrating baseball season for me to watch. Under Dahm I knew we'd probably suck. Heller has raised the bar significantly. I didn't know what to expect heading into this year, but this team has some pretty good wins and some AWFUL loses.

If you want to play in June you can't win a series vs Nebraska, go 2/3 at the DQ classic then drop a series to NW or lose to Villanova.

I have a feeling come the end of the year, this team will have been CJ Eldred away from being a top 3 B1G team (standings wise) and a borderline regional team.

So I will put it in perspective...

Iowa's RPI was 74 prior to this loss. If Iowa wins, it probably climbs 2-5 spots. It could climb more depending on some other factors. With a sweep, we are probably in the mid to low 60's.

With a loss now, we fall to 88.

NW x2, Rutgers @ home, Villanova, and Bucknell loses are killing our RPI. I've learned the NCAA baseball RPI game...

-Beat 200+ RPI teams
-Win at home against 100+ RPI teams
-Win on the road against everybody if you can (especially high RPI)

Then you have a shot come June. Look at Iowa's early season success when our RPI was 13 or 2015. That is exactly what we did.

The college baseball committee LOVES RPI, probably more so than basketball. They also love top 50 wins which Iowa lacks. 3-3 vs the Top 50 I believe.

Iowa loses to Rutgers 13-5 and loses the series. Iowa is now 23-15 and 6-6 in the B1G. Iowa is in 7th in the B1G currently.

Not really much positives from this. Iowa was down 10-0 by the end of the 4th inning.

Pitching wise it was pretty bad to say the least. Shane Ritter and Sam Lizarraga did combine to throw five shutout innings, but that was after Rutgers had already put up 13 runs.

Matt Hoeg did hit a two run homerun in the game.

So the question I ask is where does Iowa go on Sundays from here? Obviously we are set with Gallagher and Erickson on Fri/Sat. I think a change is needed to the pitching on Sunday. I think we should give Elijah Wood the start against Penn State. See if he can get us 3-4 solid innings and go from there.

Other than that, hats off to the 1,100+ who showed up for an early Saturday game.

Also, Iowa is done from an RPI stand point. Their only chance is to make the B1G tournament and win it. Prior to this weekend, they had a shot if they got on a roll and a few things went their way.

Prior to Saturday, Iowa was 74 in the RPI. Now we are at 102.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT