ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers says Suriano still undecided

I don't believe this to be true.
Really? I don't remember anyone covering wrestling outside the state of Iowa that had him as a finalist, and anyone who did mention him as a finalist seemed to be implying a repeat of Big10's.

You're welcome to prove me wrong, but that's how I remember it. Why don't we just agree to agree that I am right on this one.

Reactions: PapaBearSLIM
I can tell you in Pennsylvania many had Spencer winning the whole damn thing. I’ll admit though, sometimes we like to prop those PA boys up and make them out to be better wrestlers than they really are. Lol
Psu- ers don't count, as they were all praying that Suiano wouldn't win and were happy to pick anyone else.

Spencer Lee is genetic freak... No amount of pull ups, stairs ran, or fist pumping will help Suriano pass Lee on ability or physical prowess. Spencer is the superior wrestler, period. Anyone with one eye and half a brain should be able to understand this fact.

I am in Illinois and everyone I knew, either thought Lee was the favorite to win the title or they were not willing to bet against him. If you take what Flo says, while they are trying to get some click bait, as the gospel and think that it is indicative of what the rest of the country thinks, then you are going to be misinformed or confused for most of your college wrestling conversations.

Spencer Lee is genetic freak... No amount of pull ups, stairs ran, or fist pumping will help Suriano pass Lee on ability or physical prowess. Spencer is the superior wrestler, period. Anyone with one eye and half a brain should be able to understand this fact.
Spencer will beat N Suriano unless he is injured. I think Nick is a great wrestler who may never win a title while Lee and Fix are wrestling.

Y’all act like 8 days in the hospital is nothing.

We’ll see. But of course if Suriano goes 33 (like he said he would probably do when he was a junior in HS), you all will accuse him of ducking. Smh.

If I agree that 8 days in a hospital is “something”, would you concede that those 8 days didn’t appear to hinder Suriano on the NCAA matches leading up to the finals?

If I agree that 8 days in a hospital is “something”, would you concede that those 8 days didn’t appear to hinder Suriano on the NCAA matches leading up to the finals?

The problem is, that simply leaves WAY too much out. Suriano wrestled on 2/2/18 and didn't wrestle again until B1G's on 3/3/18. He then wrestled 1 match an defaulted out. It was NOT just those 8 days.......

Also, he beat JR Wert 17-0, Moisey by FALL, Hayes 8-0 and Cruz 2-0. I would argue that he would beat the 1st 3 on 1 leg so that really isn't indicative of there being nothing wrong with him and the 2-0 match with Cruz didn't exactly inspire me.

We all know that NOONE was picking Cruz to repeat and his taking 5th was about where he should have finished in that bracket.

Come on guys, Lee beats him either way. I don't think ANYONE in this thread has said differently. You just look like you are burying your heads in the sand if you honestly don't think there would be lingering effects from that long of a layoff due to a serious staph infection...................Say it with me, "Suriano was very likely effected by the staph infection at NCAA's, BUT Lee beats him anyway!"

Now that wasn't hard, was it?

[

He beat a scrub in round 1, a decent guy in round two, and beat Cruz 2-0 in semi finals. The first two guys weren’t threats. Considering he beat Cruz 7-0 the last time the wrestled before that, I don’t see how you can say it had no impact previous to the Lee match in that tourney.

Lee won 5-1. Not 15-1. The two kids are more even than you may think.

I'm sure the missed time hurt Suriano to some extent, how much it hurt him is impossible for us to say.

Which is more likely in the case NS goes 125 this year?

A) Healthy Suriano closes the gap, and makes it a much closer match, or could even squeak out a win.
B) Lee improves so much from the extra time in the room, gets bigger and stronger, knee is 100% etc, and widens the gap even though NS is also improved.

IMO the answer is "B", and its not very close.

I'm sure the missed time hurt Suriano to some extent, how much it hurt him is impossible for us to say.

A) Healthy Suriano closes the gap, and makes it a much closer match, or could even squeak out a win.
B) Lee improves so much from the extra time in the room, gets bigger and stronger, knee is 100% etc, and widens the gap even though NS is also improved.

Those are the only two options. I think it’s A. I also think it’s 133 for NS.

[

He beat a scrub in round 1, a decent guy in round two, and beat Cruz 2-0 in semi finals. The first two guys weren’t threats. Considering he beat Cruz 7-0 the last time the wrestled before that, I don’t see how you can say it had no impact previous to the Lee match in that tourney.

He turned Cruz for 4 the first time. Nick doesn’t often turn top opponents, so I don’t see a huge discrepancy in those scores.

Maybe they WERE more even than we think, but with each passing day that gap is widening.

Spencer versus some good wrestlers last year:

Match 1 versus Piccininni, Lee wins 10-5
Match 2 versus Piccininni, Lee was absolutely mauling him before the pin

Match 1 versus Rivera, Lee wins 7-4
Match 2 versus Rivera, Lee mauls him 12-0
(Sorry, CatFan!!!)

Match 1 versus Tomasello, Lee wins 3-2
Match 2 versus Tomasello, Lee loses 2-1
Match 3 versus Tomasello, Lee was absolutely mauling him before the pin

Match 1 versus Suriano, Lee wins 5-1
If there is a
Match 2 versus Suriano.......(see previous listed matches for a preview)

Lee is simply a much better wrestler now, and the gap is widening....

I have no dog in the fight. I enjoy watching Lee wrestle and think he wins it this year going undefeated. With that said, a few things to keep in mind...

1) Kyle Snyder the best wrestler in the world lost to Adam Coon last year.
2) Gilman lost to Cruz
3) Burroughs lost to Marable
4) Metcalf lost to Caldwell
5) Gable lost to Owens

Spencer is elite but Nick Suriano and Dayton Fix are right up there too. I don't think the gap is widening as much as some of you guys would like to think. When you get guys with this much talent wrestling each other anything can and will happen.

Maybe they WERE more even than we think, but with each passing day that gap is widening.

(Sorry, CatFan!!!)

If there is a

You assume Nick is whacking and eating Cheetos somewhere. He gets better too, right?

Spencer Lee had a tough run to the finals and dominated along the way. I am not taking anything away from what he did. His road to the finals was def tougher than nicks.

Ive followed SL all through HS, as well as NS. They split 2 close matches in HS but if I had to award a moral winner to one of them, it would be SL

Also, you make a good point about learning. Just watch how the rematch with NT went.

No arguments.. but is it likely NS performs better, perhaps substantially better in the finals without the knee problem?
I think Suriano split 2 close matches in HS. I think Lee was an eighth grader the first time they met.

Before the tourney, Flo did a Twitter poll for who was going to win 125.

The options were
A) NaTo
B) Suriano
C) Cruz
D) The Field
Lee’s learning curve is incredible, after his loss in the Big tourney he said, I respect mater for what he’s accomplished but I’ve been giving him too much respect.
Not a quote , but that was the jest of his comment.
Then he proceeded to destroy him in the NCAA. Even if he wouldn’t have stuck him I believe with riding time and a 4 point nf it would have been like 13-2. Not looking it up right now for the exact number but I think that’s correct.
Total destruction.

Reactions: honkey69

(Sorry, CatFan!!!)

If there is a

Devil's advocate. Lee's match against Suriano was the last one of the season -- after he had the season under his belt, removed the brace, and was wrestling at what appeared to be 100%. I for one would expect another close match. I believe Lee wins, but I also know a close match can go either way.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
Devil's advocate. Lee's match against Suriano was the last one of the season -- after he had the season under his belt, removed the brace, and was wrestling at what appeared to be 100%. I for one would expect another close match. I believe Lee wins, but I also know a close match can go either way.

Devil’s Advocate Part two: Lee did not have a full summer to work out and get stronger and/or bigger. Most everything was focused on the knee plus some shoulder issues. Looks like he has put on some muscle and weight.

Reactions: Grip220

Counter Devil's advocate: Lee gives a little too much respect to very good opponents in their first meeting? Maybe next time he opens up even more?

Reactions: Grip220

B x 83

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT