ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers up next

wbrhawkeye

HR MVP
Jun 12, 2012
They look very tough and quick as hell! I’m very nervous about this game.

Thankfully we are playing 4 guards and defense is better this year, but I’m very concerned about all their quick players who can drive and shoot or kick out.

I’m hoping Garza can feast inside with lots of threes from CJ Weezey.

They look very tough and quick as hell! I’m very nervous about this game.

Thankfully we are playing 4 guards and defense is better this year, but I’m very concerned about all their quick players who can drive and shoot or kick out.

I’m hoping Garza can feast inside with lots of threes from CJ Weezey.
Maybe the extra 2 days off and them traveling all the way here helps too, they are legit and glad we only play them at home. Need to win this one.

Hawks need to hit the boards, especially on the defensive end. Rutgers might be even more physical than MSU and PSU, although not nearly as talented as Sparty. A couple of their players are really good at discarding their opponent on the boards, and they don't get called for anything at the Rac. Glad we are catching them at home, and we need some payback for the asskicking they gave us at Carver last year.

Maybe the extra 2 days off and them traveling all the way here helps too, they are legit and glad we only play them at home. Need to win this one.

This would be the exact thing Iowa fans would be pointing to if Iowa was the one with less says off and traveling. Rutgers fans should be worried.

Reactions: chuck285
Rutgers loaded with young talent and are second in the conference in scoring margin +14 last I checked. We’ll need our A game effort to hold them back and they don’t seem like the type of team to shrink in the big game spotlight. Hawks need this one.

Keys to an IA win (based only on their season stats and roster as I haven’t seen them play)...

1. Feed Garza & Kriener - duh! They don’t appear to have the bigs that we do. Get their center in foul trouble.

2. Keep them out of the lane & make them beat you from the outside. They shoot < 30% from 3 for the season.

3. Limit turnovers against their very physical & quick backcourt (by reputation only).

edit = added #3 the more I think about it.

Last edited:
Limit turnovers and thus fast break points and we should win.

20+ turnovers and we lose....even 15+ if enough end in layups. A game in the 60s it won’t take much as the margin will be slim.

Garza needs to be making his FTs.

Rutgers loaded with young talent and are second in the conference in scoring margin +14 last I checked. We’ll need our A game effort to hold them back and they don’t seem like the type of team to shrink in the big game spotlight. Hawks need this one.
That must be earlier in the season for all games. In conference games, Rutgers and Iowa are basically tied for scoring margin at +5.3 at 2nd and 3rd in the B1G.
Iowa scoring average is 78 and RU 66. So RU does it with their D. They’re second only to MD for conference D with teams only scoring about 60 vs them. They allow about 26% from 3 but only shoot 31% themselves. I’m expecting a very physical game because that’s their shot at beating Iowa. Glad it’s at home.
https://bigten.org/confstats.aspx/2019-20/mbb/confonly?path=mbball

Now known as The Trapezoid of Terror, a name bestowed by one of the B1G announcers.
After the win today we are hoping we show up ranked tomorrow.

Rutgers will not be ranked tomorrow. Iowa will be though. I’d say if Rutgers can knock them off this week they’d have a great shot at being ranked next week.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
That must be earlier in the season for all games. In conference games, Rutgers and Iowa are basically tied for scoring margin at +5.3 at 2nd and 3rd in the B1G.
Iowa scoring average is 78 and RU 66. So RU does it with their D. They’re second only to MD for conference D with teams only scoring about 60 vs them. They allow about 26% from 3 but only shoot 31% themselves. I’m expecting a very physical game because that’s their shot at beating Iowa. Glad it’s at home.

Apparently my stats source sucks:(

Rutgers' defense is legit. 9th in the country in defensive efficiency. 91st in offensive efficiency. Basically the exact opposite of Iowa, which is great offense, average to bad defense. Their only road win in conference is at Nebraska. It will be a very tough test.

Keys to an IA win (based only on their season stats and roster as I haven’t seen them play)...

1. Feed Garza & Kriener - duh! They don’t appear to have the bigs that we do. Get their center in foul trouble.

2. Keep them out of the lane & make them beat you from the outside. They shoot < 30% from 3 for the season.

3. Limit turnovers against their very physical & quick backcourt (by reputation only).

edit = added #3 the more I think about it.
Zoneee

Reactions: skydog0784
Rutgers' defense is legit. 9th in the country in defensive efficiency. 91st in offensive efficiency. Basically the exact opposite of Iowa, which is great offense, average to bad defense. Their only road win in conference is at Nebraska. It will be a very tough test.
The coaches need to be all over the refs from the start. Rutgers is all over the other players and get away with a lot of fouls!!!

Limit turnovers and thus fast break points and we should win.

20+ turnovers and we lose....even 15+ if enough end in layups. A game in the 60s it won’t take much as the margin will be slim.

Garza needs to be making his FTs.
Can't believe somebody hasn't mentioned rebounding ! Rutgers will hit the glass hard and they get a lot of offensive rebounds. We will need to block out and rebound better than we normally do. Go Hawks !

Reactions: unclesammy
Can't believe somebody hasn't mentioned rebounding ! Rutgers will hit the glass hard and they get a lot of offensive rebounds. We will need to block out and rebound better than we normally do. Go Hawks !
Agree. But Iowa is rebounding comparably to RU. In conference, RU’s averaging 1.9 better in offensive rbs but Iowa’s 1.5 better in defensive rbs. RU has a +4.7 rb margin over opponents while Iowa’s is +4.4. At home, I’d think Iowa could close the small gap. But RU is scrappy, and they probably still have a chip on their should over Iowa beating them at their place like they did.

FYI, "hit the boards" = rebound. Johnson is a beast on the offensive boards, if the zebras ignore his shoving and coming over the back. The Rutgers wings also hit the offensive boards hard and are long. They are also good actors, and I'm sure that Luka will be targeted to draw fouls.

Agree here with what Dodger, Canada, Houston above and others are saying......Rutgers is a solid team with talent and will be a rough, tough game on Wednesday but their games away from the RAC.....meh. Like Houston is saying.....they did beat Nebby which Iowa didn't but they are playing in Carver and their schedule overall is not as tough as Iowa's....home or away. Should be another barn burner of a B1G challenge and really looking forward to it...

Agree here with what Dodger, Canada, Houston above and others are saying......Rutgers is a solid team with talent and will be a rough, tough game on Wednesday but their games away from the RAC.....meh. Like Houston is saying.....they did beat Nebby which Iowa didn't but they are playing in Carver and their schedule overall is not as tough as Iowa's....home or away. Should be another barn burner of a B1G challenge and really looking forward to it...
Rutgers' non-conference and overall SOS is stronger than Iowa.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miramar-RU
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT