ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers v. Maryland - huge head-to-head series this weekend

AuroraHawk

HR Heisman
Dec 18, 2004
Rutgers (15-3; #49 RPI - 1st place) v. Maryland (11-4; #35 RPI - 2nd place) this weekend in Piscataway.

Iowa trails Rutgers by 3.5 games (trailing by 2 games in loss column) but has the tiebreaker if they finish tied. Rutgers has 6 B1G games left, including the Maryland series.
Iowa trails Maryland by 1 game. Don't know how tiebreaker would play out. Maryland has 9 B1G games left, including the Rutgers series.

My heart says root for Maryland to take 2 of 3 - giving Iowa a good chance to catch Rutgers in loss column this weekend. Rutgers still has to go to Michigan to finish season.
My head says root for Rutgers to take 2 of 3 or sweep - giving Iowa a good chance to pass Maryland in the standings and positioning well for 2nd place finish and #2 seed in B1G tournament.

Regardless, it could be "moving weekend" for the Hawks if they can pull off a big weekend!

If Maryland takes 2 of 3 from Rutgers then I think Maryland owns the tiebreaker over Iowa because Maryland won 2 out of 3 against Illinois, who is next in the standings. That's if that's how they do the tiebreakers, and why wouldn't they?

That extra inning Illinois loss is really hurting Iowa. They had that game in the bag! That game would put Iowa in a tie with Maryland with Iowa owning the tie breaker since they beat Michigan 2 out of 3 (next team in line).

My head says “root for Rutgers today.”
My heart says otherwise.
Taking 2 of 3 on the road in Piscataway against a Q1 B1G regular season champ who beat Maryland 2 of 3 has to be noticed by committee, right?????

My head says “root for Rutgers today.”
My heart says otherwise.
Taking 2 of 3 on the road in Piscataway against a Q1 B1G regular season champ who beat Maryland 2 of 3 has to be noticed by committee, right?????
Maryland winning gives Iowa the beat chance of winning a conference title. Of course Iowa would lose six RPI points.

Maryland winning gives Iowa the beat chance of winning a conference title. Of course Iowa would lose six RPI points.
That's why my heart wants Maryland to win . . . would be great if Iowa could worm its way into first place. My head says that the pieces aren't likely to fall in place and, if it isn't going to happen, having Maryland fall into a tie for 2nd with Iowa and Illinois puts Iowa in a good spot.

5-1 Turtles in 5th!

And it's over . . . Maryland 9 Rutgers 4.

B1G Standings:
1. Rutgers 15-6
1. Maryland 13-5
3. Illinois 12-6
3. Iowa 12-6
5. Michigan 10-8
5. Penn State 10-8

Rutgers finishes season in Ann Arbor (last week of B1G season).
Maryland has 3 at home against Michigan and 3 on road against Purdue.
Illinois has 3 at home against Nebraska and 3 on road against PSU.
Iowa has 3 on road against MSU and 3 at home against Indiana.

Looks like - at least to some extent - we need to be rooting for Michigan to win some games. The rest of our rooting interests are clear cut.

Finish strong Hawks and join the Iowa football,men and women's BB and track team as champions!
What a year for Iowa sports!

Rutgers has a series against Bowling Green this weekend. They better be careful because it could kill their RPI.

ADVERTISEMENT