ADVERTISEMENT

******Rutgers vs Iowa Game Thread******

new york post likes the hawkeyes

Iowa (-7.5) over Rutgers​

Give me the Scarlet Knights in Piscataway and anyone else away from Jersey, where Rutgers has gone 4-9 this season. Despite a bye, Rutgers doesn’t benefit from much of a rest advantage, as the Hawkeyes had an easy tuneup, while scoring a Big Ten Tournament record 112 points in their blowout of Northwestern. Iowa, which has won six of its past seven games by an average of nearly 20 points, will be looking to avenge its 48-46 loss at Rutgers on Jan. 19. Rutgers can’t bank on one of the best offenses in the country shooting 28 percent from the field — or one of the best home-court advantages — again.

As we wait for tip… random hoops thought: I don’t miss Billy Packer. At all.
Were you thinking about that because tomorrow's games are on CBS? I was, lol.

He was all Xs and Os. Never injected much humor or interesting anecdotes. Worse, his Xs and Os knowledge was derived from the mid 20th century.

What sayeth the hoopster?

I just hope Hawks do not lose their focus after NW and they do not go cold from the field. Rutgers is very good defensively.

Reactions: haightt
Were you thinking about that because tomorrow's games are on CBS? I was, lol.

He was all Xs and Os. Never injected much humor or interesting anecdotes. Worse, his Xs and Os knowledge was derived from the mid 20th century.

What sayeth the hoopster?
I just can’t stand how corporate suck-uppy he was. Always kissing the asses of the power programs. And a major pearl-clutcher, too. Never liked him one bit.

Expect the crowd to be pro-Rutgers. There should be a ton of Illinois and Indiana fans at the early game and I'm sure the winners fans will stick around to root for Rutgers. Champaign is only a 2 hour drive to Indianapolis so there should be quite a few Illinois fans in attendance.

Reactions: Scangg
I don't know how to take this. The Quad-City times listed the starting lineups for todays Iowa/Rutgers game as: Iowa, Patrick McCaffery 6-9 so 10.5, Paul Mulcahy 6-6 jr 9.7, Keegan Murray 6-8 so 23.4, Caleb McConnell 6-7 sr 6.3, Filip Rebraca 6-9 sr 6.1. Rutgers, Clifford Omoruyi 6-11 so 11.0, Jordan Bohannon 6-1 sr 11.1, Geo Baker 6-4 sr 16.4, Tony Perkins 6-4 so 7.1, Ron Harper Jr. 6-6 so 12.5.
At least Rutgers didn't take Keegan in the late night trade. 🤣

McGuire appeared to believe the game was a gift to him. Packer seemed to act like he was a gift to the game.
This was true. McGuire offered insight but realized the game was fun, it's basketball. Packer was a mediocre coach who thought his proclamation about the game was gospel.

Among the current announcers, here are some I like:

Robbie Hummel - seems to do a game every night on BTN or ESPN. Future very bright. Takes the time to know the team, will criticize teams if warranted but not over the top. Also willing to laugh at himself.
Fran Fraschilla. Takes time to know the teams and respects the game.
Stephen Bardo - yes, the former Illini great is a good announcer. Doesn't try to make himself bigger than the game.
Settles - has improved a lot, especially when he's not doing Iowa games. Really growing into the job.
Raftery - has lost a bit off the fastball but still gives games big-time feel. Guys who like the game and are happy to be announcing I like listening to.
Len Elmore - some don't like him, but he's willing to give praise and to criticize effort.

Ones I don't care for:

Bilas - is good when he just calls the game and doesn't try to tell me how oppressed the players are or how terrible the NCAA is. I get it and agree with him on principle on some things.
Casey Jacobsen - I realize he does mostly western region games, but just focus on the game.
Dakich - gets way too sidetracked on his pet issues or tries way too hard to make some minor point. Just call the game.

I’m expecting Rutgers to overplay us then hold when Hawkeyes try to back cut. If they are allowed to do this frequently it will be a long game. If the refs call them for holding on the back cuts, Hawkeyes win going away

Rutgers defense is going to be one of the best we have seen in a while. Hawks are rolling and I like that we have already shot well yesterday in that arena. Iowa's defense and rebounding is vastly improved compared to the last time we saw rutgers so hopefully that makes the difference. I also like that our starters essentially got a bye yesterday, but still got a warmup game in. Best case scenario going into this game.

Reactions: kceasthawk
This was true. McGuire offered insight but realized the game was fun, it's basketball. Packer was a mediocre coach who thought his proclamation about the game was gospel.

Among the current announcers, here are some I like:

Robbie Hummel - seems to do a game every night on BTN or ESPN. Future very bright. Takes the time to know the team, will criticize teams if warranted but not over the top. Also willing to laugh at himself.
Fran Fraschilla. Takes time to know the teams and respects the game.
Stephen Bardo - yes, the former Illini great is a good announcer. Doesn't try to make himself bigger than the game.
Settles - has improved a lot, especially when he's not doing Iowa games. Really growing into the job.
Raftery - has lost a bit off the fastball but still gives games big-time feel. Guys who like the game and are happy to be announcing I like listening to.
Len Elmore - some don't like him, but he's willing to give praise and to criticize effort.

Ones I don't care for:

Bilas - is good when he just calls the game and doesn't try to tell me how oppressed the players are or how terrible the NCAA is. I get it and agree with him on principle on some things.
Casey Jacobsen - I realize he does mostly western region games, but just focus on the game.
Dakich - gets way too sidetracked on his pet issues or tries way too hard to make some minor point. Just call the game.

I'm surprised at how much I enjoy Robbie Hummel.

I just can’t stand how corporate suck-uppy he was. Always kissing the asses of the power programs. And a major pearl-clutcher, too. Never liked him one bit.
Wasn’t Packer the one that called Allen Iverson a “quick little monkey” and then basically disappeared or am I not remembering that correctly?

Just looking at the box score from the game against Rutgers back on January 27th. Iowa didn't get a single point from their bench in that game. That very rarely happens to an Iowa team under Fran.
Right. And of course they were outrebounded by 11 in a loss. Omoruyi collected 14 for a season high in that one. Need to do a better job of keeping him off the glass.

For everyone worried we can't be that hot two games in a row ... don't be. We don't need to be that hot.

First meeting we shot like ass. Overall 17 - 61 and just 6 - 27 from three. Just a pedestrian shooting performance and we should be fine.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
I just hope Hawks do not lose their focus after NW and they do not go cold from the field. Rutgers is very good defensively.

Is a team good defensively when they foul on every possession?

I posted what follows on Jan 19 2022. The refs were horrific the last time we played RU.

Robbie Hummel said during the game RU was fouling on every possession, daring the refs to call it.

And the foul on Keegan with 2 seconds to go that gave RU the win? Hummel couldn't believe they called that foul

The screw job was in.

Reactions: FWIW4922463
See ILL getting there preferential treatment again. No way they only have 3 fouls this half

In the last game vs RU, didn't the refs waive off a made shot by Iowa at the end of the 1st half?

So, IIRC, essentially we got screwed at the end of the 1st half (2 points taken off the board) and at the end of the 2nd half (foul called on Keegan, resulting in 2 made FTs by RU).

Courtney Green, man.

In the postgame, Joe T was quoted saying that Rutgers mugs you during the game.

This was some of the Iowa/RU postgame conversation:

Even the 4 studio guys at CBSSN couldn't believe Green called that foul, when doing the 'highlights' during halftime of their game.
I'm by no means an Iowa fan, but that was absurd. The quality of officiating in the Big Ten is atrocious.

We got screwed at the end of both half's tonight.

I could tell the shot was good on a 55” TV. No idea how the refs overturned that one.
That was atrocious. Absolutely atrocious. In all honesty, that play is NEVER a foul. If the game is called tight, you’re not making that contact with 2 seconds left. If it’s called like this one, allowing a lot of contact (especially at one end), then the refs blowing that whistle is a complete joke.

I’m not a fan of blaming refs and Iowa did a crap ton tonight that wasn’t good. Refs could have been what they were and Iowa still could have won fairly easily by making open 3s, converting more at the rim and making FTs…….but the idea that Rutgers can shove, grab and hold every possession and then THAT gets called on Keegan at the end is just awful.

Green is quickly building up a reputation in the B1G as an official that decides games. Not a good thing to be known for as an official.

Among many other examples.......

Patrick McCaffery is surrounded by 3 RU defenders down low, takes the ball up and is both slapped on the wrists/forearms during shot block attempts as well bodied down low, no calls and no points. While defending pump fakes, McConnell drags his foot across JBo's lower legs, forcing JBo to stumble and put up an off-balance air ball for a shot clock violation, no call and no points.

Keegan Murray plays great 'in his shirt' defense on Harper, with perhaps a bare whisper of contact, with 2 seconds on the game clock in a tie game along with Harper using an arm-bar to help create a little space for himself, and a late whistle on the anticipatory guesswork that Keegan bodied him up. Phantom call and 2 free points.

Game decided.
He has a lot of company in that category. The BIG has always been and always will be the most inconsistent (pitiful) collection of refs doing conference games. Watching the rugby game throughout the first 39.58 minutes and this BS call seals the game. Sad.

bump in greens bank account??

Here are some excerpts from Mike Hlas' game story.

Mr Boyages could not have enjoyed this game!

Coincidentally, Big Ten Vice President, Coordinator of Men's Basketball Officials Rick Boyages was in attendance.

Green worked the Wisconsin-Northwestern game in Evanston, Ill., the night before.

Iowa’s 2-game winning streak was halted as it slipped to 3-4 in the conference, 13-5 overall.

“We should be playing overtime,” Hawkeyes Coach Fran McCaffery said after the game.

“It was a really physical, hard-fought game. It should not have come down to that. It just shouldn’t.”

“I felt like I was just sliding my feet,” said Murray. “I thought I was in good defensive position.

“Obviously, I can’t really say too much about it. Obviously, he (Courtney Green) blew his whistle. I thought I was in a good position, but I can’t really do too much about the refs.”

Murray was held to a team-high 13 points, 10 less than his norm.

“For a scorer,” he said, “it’s hard to find a rhythm when a game’s got a lot of fouls called and it’s a choppy game.”

“They’re a real good defensive team,” said Toussaint, who played in front of family and friends from his nearby home in the Bronx. “They mug you, they beat you to the spot. They’re just a smart, crafty team.”

Raftery for me. I’m old school.

Bill and Gus, please....

200.gif

The radio pregame show begins at 12 pm CT.

TO LISTEN TO THIS GAME (AND ALL LEARFIELD GAMES) FOR FREE:

* Download "The Varsity Network" app.

* For iPhone users, GO HERE:

* For Android users, GO HERE:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sidearmsports.varsitynetwork.audio&hl=en_US&gl=US

* Set up your account

* Simply select "The University of Iowa" as the school you want to listen to.

* You will find live streams for baseball, men's basketball, women's basketball, and in the fall, football. It appears that if it's Learfield broadcasting the game, you can listen here.

* This is app only (the Varsity Network does not have a website to go to and listen).

* There are ON DEMAND podcasts; check that tab out. You can go back and listen to, as one example, Hawk Talk with (Fran, Lisa, Kirk).

* Other recent examples of ON DEMAND podcasts include Rick Heller, Monika/Caitlin, Kenyon Murray, Tyler Barnes and Clarissa Chun (new Iowa women's wrestling coach).

The game details:

Friday, March 11

IOWA vs Rutgers

1:00 PM CT (scheduled tip)

Radio: Hawkeye Radio Network (The Varsity Network app--FREE)

Radio PREGAME Show Stream Begins:
12:00 pm CT

TV: Big 10 Network

Game Notes:

I have an irrational dislike for Rutgers. I'm not sure if it's because East coast folks suck or because they don't belong in the B1G. Either way, let's beat the piss out of them.

Rutgers is the Michigan State of the East.

Robbie Hummel nailed it the last time we played RU. He said DURING THE BROADCAST that RU grabs and holds on every possession, daring the refs to call a foul. And, of course, if the refs actually did that, Steve Pikiell would behave like Izzo, and lose his g'dman mind.

Remember when there was supposed to be an emphasis by the refs on freedom of movement?

Have to win the rebounding battle. Won't shoot it like yesterday but we win 76-69. Go Hawks

ADVERTISEMENT