ADVERTISEMENT

WATCH Bluder's Statement: Jan 21 Women's Game at Maryland (Inauguration/Safety Concerns) & Jan 24 at Rutgers (Covid issues) Postponed

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Thursday Jan 21 game at Maryland PPD due to the inauguration and concerns over player/staff safety in DC.

Sunday Jan 24 game vs Rutgers PPD due to Rutgers' Covid issues.

Last edited:
Coach Bluder makes the right call. No reason Maryland could not have been more flexible and had more concern for player safety. Shame on the Terps!!

Reactions: mphawk
Not the decision I would have made- flying into either DC airport would, or at least could, have allowed for travel to the hotel/Maryland campus primarily on Interstate highways. Many parts of DC are about as safe as anywhere in the country with 25,000 National Guard in position to secure the city. That said, people have varied risk tolerance levels and I think Bluder’s concerns are within reason. I do have to think that a hotel full of essentially post-mission National Guard personnel letting off steam would make for a difficult nights sleep! It is a crazy time right now with exposure to Covid still a concern. On to what is left of the schedule...

25000 armed troops in DC. Inauguration concerns? That is hilarious. That is “dog ate my homework” stuff right there.

Friggin joke. If it's not all the violence with 55k troops around the mall, which is nowhere close to the campus, it's the dreaded Covid.

How does one find the energy to even get out of bed in these dark times?

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
Ridiculous. Could of avoided the DC area by flying into Baltimore. Sorry Coach Bluder bad call.

Guessing she's a big Biden fan and wanted to watch the inauguration.

Geez guys if you're looking for someone to blame for postponing a women's basketball game how about blaming the thousands of Trump supporters that stormed the Capitol? I guess after this many years at the helm, I trust Bluder's decision making regarding what's best for her team.

Geez guys if you're looking for someone to blame for postponing a women's basketball game how about blaming the thousands of Trump supporters that stormed the Capitol? I guess after this many years at the helm, I trust Bluder's decision making regarding what's best for her team.
Gee there were 55k troops there.
Another silly Lemming

It's actually 25k troops

I live in MD about 15 miles from the DC line. Like coach Bluder said, if you live here you probably feel comfortable about being here. And I do. The difference is the unknown of what could happen. IF something did happen, I have a home to go to, food in the fridge, and a family to be with. I don't have to worry about being in a strange land, at a hotel that could be housing both insurrectionists and National Guard. IF threats persisted flights could be delayed, cancelled, or in an extreme event, airports could be shut down (including Baltimore). The team relies on local bus companies and restaurants to provide services. If the hotel can kick them out for the National Guard, who's to say the bus company or restaurants wouldn't cancel too?

There are a lot of ifs, coulds, and mights but I have no problem with the decision not to play.

I have a bigger problem with scheduling a game at Maryland the day after inauguration. (Maybe the B1G thought that COVID would make travel easier?) If you live here you know that the city is shut down, airports, metro trains, and hotels are packed and travel around the area is worse than normal.

Last edited:
If "travel around the area is worse than normal", I would be concerned about the team even getting to the game before tip-off!
I went to the Iowa vs. Maryland men's game in College Park in 2016 when both teams were ranked in the top 10. A friend and I went to a bar about 5 miles away, left at 6pm for a 7pm game and got to our seats right as Adam Woodbury was losing the opening tip. It was 45 minutes to get to the parking lot that was 5 miles away and another 15 minutes to walk to the arena.

I thought I heard that the National Guard had taken over the hotel the women were staying at and this concerned Coach Bluder.

flying to Baltimore was the plan!!! Bad assumption on your part
Well since they didn't include me in their travel itinerary I apologize for my stupidity. Regardless, their travel from the airport would not go near the DC Mall area so unless there was another valid reason such as staying in DC proximity of the arena and route from the airport would not be one of them.

Well since they didn't include me in their travel itinerary I apologize for my stupidity. Regardless, their travel from the airport would not go near the DC Mall area so unless there was another valid reason such as staying in DC proximity of the arena and route from the airport would not be one of them.
My reply based on article in ICPC. I assumed it was included in that video too but I am deaf so no clue what’s in video

it was hotel and crowds there that were primary reason for postponing. Again, that’s based on Hawkcental article

ADVERTISEMENT