ADVERTISEMENT

Ruth Bader Ginsburg Has Died from Cancer at 87. Sorry, Mitch, but Whoever Wins in November MUST Nominate her Replacement

EiPGnU3XgAIZTbK

Reactions: Rippered
If Cruz gets confirmed, back alley coat hanger abortions will soon be in style again.

Last edited:
Reactions: ping72
She was a remarkable woman, and a brilliant jurist. Rest in peace, Notorious RBG. 💔🇺🇸
Hard to think about a time in America when a brand new law school grad like Ginsburg had a tough time getting a job.

Reactions: goldmom
The hysterical Left hasn’t been civil for the past four years. You don’t fool anyone... if the Democrats were in the same situation they’d try to seat a justice... to the glee of the democrats and republican‘s dismay.
McConnell started all of this bullshit in 2008. The Democrats WOULD NOT HAVE before Mitch. Mitch is setting the rules...he plays both sides of a situation. The Cons can eat all the shit sandwiches thrown at them for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: lucas80
Thousands of people are gathering in front of the Supreme Court building in DC. That is a testament to the impact of RBG's career.

Reactions: Torg
2020 just keeps on dealin'. RBG's passing couldn't come at a more inopportune time. Close Presidential election, possible delayed results, court challenges appealed to the US Supreme. Repubs may not have to push a nominee before Nov. They would hold a 5-3 edge or at worst 4-4 with the lower court verdict being in effect. This year can't get any more bizarre.

He just announced he wouldn't. Jan...this is why I am the way I am. I despise Republicans. Those in power and the MAGAS who follow them. They are EVIL. Hypocritical and only care about power and pushing their agenda. Mitch McConnell is effing up this country for a couple of generations. This is bad. We can't move forward as a nation with McConnell having this much power.

This just makes me sick. Again, I have voted for Republicans many times. I just can't see myself doing this again. McConnell and his Republican congress make me sick. Admittedly, I am numb right now....and pissed off.
Numb and pissed off? I think you’re taking this justices selection too serious. I get it that it’s a big deal but how much, really, do these SCOTUS decisions affect your life? On a truly tangible level I mean. Not just in a ‘Rock’s my political world’ level.

Now if you mean numb after RBGs passing ok then. She was a hell of a jurist and left a huge legacy not soon to be matched. I did disagree with almost every decision of hers that made headlines but you can’t argue that she didn’t have a ton class and character so uncommon in DC these days.

Numb and pissed off? I think you’re taking this justices selection too serious. I get it that it’s a big deal but how much, really, do these SCOTUS decisions affect your life? On a truly tangible level I mean. Not just in a ‘Rock’s my political world’ level.

Now if you mean numb after RBGs passing ok then. She was a hell of a jurist and left a huge legacy not soon to be matched. I did disagree with almost every decision of hers that made headlines but you can’t argue that she didn’t have a ton class and character so uncommon in DC these days.
The Citizens United decision, arguably, gave us 45*. SCOTUS decisions are of significant consequence.

Like most of you, all this year I have seen posts on Facebook, Twitter, and here, hoping and praying that Ruth hangs on until January.

It is sad that the Supreme Court has turned so political. It should not lean one way or the other. However, we all know that right now (no pun intended) it leans 5-4, Conservative.

Personally, I don't like abortion but I think it should be allowed; it's the woman's body and it's her choice and it's been the law of the land for decades. Leave it be.

Moderates like me should be on the freakin' Supreme Court. ;)

I could deal with that. Hope you are on the list.

Reactions: Franisdaman
You’re demonstrating a basic difference between the vast majority of Trump supporters and intelligent voters.
Trump and his supporters seem to have a narrow, short-sighted, myopic view of the world. “How do political decisions impact me, personally, right now?”

Those who are more intelligent understand these decisions can have broad-reaching effects. “How does this decision impact the populace? What are the long term consequences not only to myself, but the entire country?”

The people calling for an immediate replacement of RBG by Trump are not looking at the long range, broader impact for the entire nation.

You are f'n insane if you think Nancy wouldn't be stummering, stuttering, sucking her teeth, as she does the same thing the Right is going to do.
I have seen this sentiment everywhere. “The left would do it, so it’s justified for the right to do it”. Only the left has not done it up to this point. The right seems to have indignation over a mythical behavior that they project on the left.

This is not moral. It is not fair play. It does nothing to bring the country together. This is the equivalent of nuking Russia first because they might nuke us someday. EVERYONE loses the game in the long term except for entrenched politicians. It is pure political warfare with no regard to the fact that the only way the country actually progresses is through bipartisan cooperation and negotiation.

I wish Republicans could see that for what it is. But if they actually head down this path then there will be no choice but for political warfare in return. I abhor partisan politics, but I would support the Dems stacking the court as a response.

Unfortunately, Mitch has brought us to this point. Today I am donating to his opponent.

Well considering that there is going to be an argument about if I get health insurance or not, I would say a heck of a lot rides on it.

I visited Hudson High School one time with another A-P student for some student government exchange thing we were doing and it just so happened to be on Chuck Grassley's unannounced day in Black Hawk County for that year (woulda been 2005 or 2006). I was a libertarian douchebag at the time who knew all the Reps and Dems were suckers and so I kinda sat back and scoffed at the whole thing and then watched an exchange Grassley had with this super leftwing and also pretty flamboyantly gay Hudson student. Anyway I came away impressed with both of them at the time on that day way back then and felt like a jerk for making my assumptions about people I hadn't met. Wow that was a long time ago.

Sounding like Democratic Party Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Ginsburg attacked the Senate for not voting on Judge Merrick Garland to fill the seat of the late Justice Antonin Scalia.

“That’s their job. There’s nothing in the Constitution that says the president stops being president in his last year.”

As the Wall Street Journal notes, under Section 28 US Code 455, “(a)ny justice, judge or magistrate judge of the United States must disqualify himself in any proceeding in which his impartiality might reasonably be questioned.”

Ginsburg “should resign from the Court before she does the reputation of the judiciary more harm,” says the Journal.(https://www.lewrockwell.com/2016/07/patrick-j-buchanan/gave-us-ruth-badder-ginsburg/)

IMO she was a terrible justice, but I have complete faith that the R’s & D’s can put aside their differences and find someone even worse.

We’re a nation of 330 million people: there just HAS to be someone worse. Gotta keep this train wreck burning. :rolleyes:

Reactions: B1G
2020 just keeps on dealin'. RBG's passing couldn't come at a more inopportune time. Close Presidential election, possible delayed results, court challenges appealed to the US Supreme. Repubs may not have to push a nominee before Nov. They would hold a 5-3 edge or at worst 4-4 with the lower court verdict being in effect. This year can't get any more bizarre.
I have more faith in the justices, for a few reasons (admittedly all just my own musings):

No idea what Trump’s challenges will be but imagine they will be grasping at straws. I think it’s easy to feel like there are five Bill Barrs on the court waiting to do Trump’s bidding. I don’t believe that is the case.

Also, just supposition on my part but I bet RBG gave them each a farewell talk.

Finally, I also have a feeling that Roberts can’t stand Trump. It won’t sway his opinions but he also isn’t looking to do him any favors.

Agree. Really.....how many Supreme Court decisions over the last several years have sent lefties off the deep end? They get hysterical over all sorts of imagined catastrophes they think will come from a majority conservative SC.....which never happen. It’s all about some sort of perceived winning in their minds. And as demonstrated in this thread, it is mostly fueled by hate. The vast majority hardly even pay attention to SC decisions and couldn’t care less about 99% of them (if they even knew what they were). But oh no! Can’t let conservatives be the majority! They will dismantle the laws of this country! Horrors! (Of course, none of the predicted disasters ever happen)

Like it or not, Trump is President. Like it or not, he has every right to nominate RBG’s replacement. Like it or not, McConnell has every right to call a vote on the nominee.

Personally, I think it should be done. Biden will likely have the opportunity to replace 2 conservative judges with 2 liberal ones. We need to replace RBG with a conservative judge in order to ensure a more balanced court in the near future. I know this will make the lefties scream, but even if the court is 6-3 conservative for now, it will be 5-4 liberal before long.

It is almost certain Dems will control both houses of Congress and the presidency come January. It would be harmful to the country if they controlled the Supreme Court, also. No party should have absolute power.

Last edited:
Reactions: haw-key
McConnell started all of this bullshit in 2008. The Democrats WOULD NOT HAVE before Mitch. Mitch is setting the rules...he plays both sides of a situation. The Cons can eat all the shit sandwiches thrown at them for the foreseeable future.
The only shit sandwiches that will be eaten will be by Dimocrats.

You’re demonstrating a basic difference between the vast majority of Trump supporters and intelligent voters.
Trump and his supporters seem to have a narrow, short-sighted, myopic view of the world. “How do political decisions impact me, personally, right now?”

Those who are more intelligent understand these decisions can have broad-reaching effects. “How does this decision impact the populace? What are the long term consequences not only to myself, but the entire country?”

The people calling for an immediate replacement of RBG by Trump are not looking at the long range, broader impact for the entire nation.
My post wasn’t about should we care about the SC. It was a comment related to the fact he states he was numb and pissed off. Which tells me he has a very poersonal stake in this process. But should he? I mean how does it really affect one enough to have that kind of raw emotion.

Now if he’d have said gosh I really can’t get my head around this right now and am upset at the process ahead. Ok. But pissed off? I dunno. Seems a tad overplayed.

Now to your other point, we dumb conservatives also have a long term plan for the ramifications of the SC. Gun rights, property rights, liberty, government run healthcare. We’ve been on the long long long play since Row v Wade. But your own myopic sense of this can’t see that. Liberals are probably legitimately upset about this as for years they have used the court to mandate policy that they could’nt get thru the ballot box.

I don’t know what direction the President will go and I have my preference strategy wise but he will be within his constitutional powers no matter what he decides. Putting a person up for a vote if they are gonna fail due to a few senators seems like bad tactics especially if it takes them off the campaign trail. But whatever. This will be a huge draw for conservatives if he leaves it open as a means to motivate evangelicals to the polls. Better to leave it open and ram someone thruin the lame duck session were he to lose.

ADVERTISEMENT