ADVERTISEMENT

Ruth Bader Ginsburg Has Died from Cancer at 87. Sorry, Mitch, but Whoever Wins in November MUST Nominate her Replacement

My post wasn’t about should we care about the SC. It was a comment related to the fact he states he was numb and pissed off. Which tells me he has a very poersonal stake in this process. But should he? I mean how does it really affect one enough to have that kind of raw emotion.

Now if he’d have said gosh I really can’t get my head around this right now and am upset at the process ahead. Ok. But pissed off? I dunno. Seems a tad overplayed.

Now to your other point, we dumb conservatives also have a long term plan for the ramifications of the SC. Gun rights, property rights, liberty, government run healthcare. We’ve been on the long long long play since Row v Wade. But your own myopic sense of this can’t see that. Liberals are probably legitimately upset about this as for years they have used the court to mandate policy that they could’nt get thru the ballot box.

I don’t know what direction the President will go and I have my preference strategy wise but he will be within his constitutional powers no matter what he decides. Putting a person up for a vote if they are gonna fail due to a few senators seems like bad tactics especially if it takes them off the campaign trail. But whatever. This will be a huge draw for conservatives if he leaves it open as a means to motivate evangelicals to the polls. Better to leave it open and ram someone thruin the lame duck session were he to lose.
I firmly believe Biden wins in November. Pretty much a lock IMO.

I think Trump should wait until after the election, and then put forth his nominee so it can be voted on before January 20. Especially if Dems also gain control of the Senate. If the repubs keep control then it doesn’t matter as much. They will at least be able to force Biden to nominate someone who will adhere to the Constitution and prevent a liberal justice.

The President is a hypocrite

Mitch is a hypocrite

I would be shocked if they don't try and fill the position ASAP.

However, ABC News just said they probably don't have time to get it done if they tried.

Moscow Itch will bend, break or create rules to do it. Further reasons to throw these crooks out of the Senate.

Republicans have nothing to lose by rushing this. We all know they will lose President and Senate so there is no downside to jamming a nominee through.

Republicans have nothing to lose by rushing this. We all know they will lose President and Senate so there is no downside to jamming a nominee through.

They do if the Democrats decide to fight fire with more fire. If the Republicans push through a SCOTUS nominee, the next time the Dems have control of the Senate and the President they should pack the court, set the SCOTUS age limit at 70 (would remove 2 conservative justices and 1 liberal justice), declare Election Day a national holiday, implement automatic voter registration when someone turns 18, give DC and Puerto Rico representation in the Senate, etc. If the conservatives want to play dirty, the Dems need to grow a pair and do the same.

I firmly believe Biden wins in November. Pretty much a lock IMO.

I think Trump should wait until after the election, and then put forth his nominee so it can be voted on before January 20. Especially if Dems also gain control of the Senate. If the repubs keep control then it doesn’t matter as much. They will at least be able to force Biden to nominate someone who will adhere to the Constitution and prevent a liberal justice.
Hey 83, You are gonna have a long election night. A replay of the Hillary defeat is in the making.

The Citizens United decision, arguably, gave us 45*. SCOTUS decisions are of significant consequence.
but at the same time, the left has been handed some pretty big decisions in their favor from the right leaning court

Reactions: Fluffles
I have seen this sentiment everywhere. “The left would do it, so it’s justified for the right to do it”. Only the left has not done it up to this point. The right seems to have indignation over a mythical behavior that they project on the left.

This is not moral. It is not fair play. It does nothing to bring the country together. This is the equivalent of nuking Russia first because they might nuke us someday. EVERYONE loses the game in the long term except for entrenched politicians. It is pure political warfare with no regard to the fact that the only way the country actually progresses is through bipartisan cooperation and negotiation.

I wish Republicans could see that for what it is. But if they actually head down this path then there will be no choice but for political warfare in return. I abhor partisan politics, but I would support the Dems stacking the court as a response.

Unfortunately, Mitch has brought us to this point. Today I am donating to his opponent.
Agree with everything you're saying, especially after Graham's recent statements in support of proceeding with a replacement, but don't donate to McGrath. She's not going to win. Give to something like this that distributes to candidates that have a chance to win. The best way to defeat McConnell is to put him in the minority.

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
They do if the Democrats decide to fight fire with more fire. If the Republicans push through a SCOTUS nominee, the next time the Dems have control of the Senate and the President they should pack the court, set the SCOTUS age limit at 70 (would remove 2 conservative justices and 1 liberal justice), declare Election Day a national holiday, implement automatic voter registration when someone turns 18, give DC and Puerto Rico representation in the Senate, etc. If the conservatives want to play dirty, the Dems need to grow a pair and do the same.

If the Democrats believe in that platform and own the means to make it happen why would it be playing dirty?

If the Democrats believe in that platform and own the means to make it happen why would it be playing dirty?
Attempting to “pack” the Supreme Court would be political suicide. And stupid. Americans would not stand for it, nor would it receive full support of democrats. Biden is on record saying he is against it.

If the Democrats want to hand control of both houses of Congress to Republicans in 2022....by all means attempt to pack the court.

If the Democrats want to hand control of both houses of Congress to Republicans in 2022....by all means attempt to pack the court.
McConnell is attempting to pack the court but it's funny that you see no downside politically to that. Maybe because the super majority will be in your favor.
If the Democrats do expand and pack the court as a response to Mcconnell's hypocrisy, it won't matter in 2022 because the justices will already be there with lifetime appointments and can only be removed by impeachment.

Attempting to “pack” the Supreme Court would be political suicide. And stupid. Americans would not stand for it, nor would it receive full support of democrats. Biden is on record saying he is against it.

Well the house was likely to flip republican no matter what. And look at the 2022 Senate map and tell me which seats Republican's are gonna win? Colorado? Or do you think Republicans will win seats in places like California, Oregon, New York and Massachutes because Democrats "packed the courts"?

It's more likely that the Democrats gain seats in the senate in 2022. But, hey, I know, that takes a bit of research.

McConnell is attempting to pack the court but it's funny that you see no downside politically to that. Maybe because the super majority will be in your favor.
If the Democrats do expand and pack the court as a response to Mcconnell's hypocrisy, it won't matter in 2022 because the justices will already be there with lifetime appointments and can only be removed by impeachment.
Filling an open vacancy is not packing the court. Otherwise, every appointment is packing because every president nominates people they feel thinks the same as they do. Besides, my implication was packing by way of expansion.

And yes it would matter in ‘22 and later years, when Republicans respond by expanding and packing even further. It is a vicious circle that, thankfully, intelligent people will stop before it even starts.

Trump and McConnell have *every right* to fill the open seat. Their duties and responsibilities do not stop on Election Day. Whether the seat gets filled by Trump or Biden is really immaterial to me. I have no say in the matter. And neither do you.

If Trump DOES fill the seat, and if democrats try to “retaliate” by expanding and packing the SC, it will not only fail miserably, but the backlash from their constituents would be cataclysmic.

But again.....if Trump and McConnell want to move forward....fine. If they don’t....also fine. But I would NOT support any future “retaliation” by EITHER party.

Filling an open vacancy is not packing the court. Otherwise, every appointment is packing because every president nominates people they feel thinks the same as they do. Besides, my implication was packing by way of expansion.

And yes it would matter in ‘22 and later years, when Republicans respond by expanding and packing even further. It is a vicious circle that, thankfully, intelligent people will stop before it even starts.

Trump and McConnell have *every right* to fill the open seat. Their duties and responsibilities do not stop on Election Day. Whether the seat gets filled by Trump or Biden is really immaterial to me. I have no say in the matter. And neither do you.

If Trump DOES fill the seat, and if democrats try to “retaliate” by expanding and packing the SC, it will not only fail miserably, but the backlash from their constituents would be cataclysmic.

But again.....if Trump and McConnell want to move forward....fine. If they don’t....also fine. But I would NOT support any future “retaliation” by EITHER party.
Filling an open vacancy after you refused to do the same thing 4 years ago is both an attempt to pack the court and hypocritical. Failing to acknowledge that is equally hypocritical.

Reactions: lucas80
Well the house was likely to flip republican no matter what. And look at the 2022 Senate map and tell me which seats Republican's are gonna win? Colorado? Or do you think Republicans will win seats in places like California, Oregon, New York and Massachutes because Democrats "packed the courts"?

It's more likely that the Democrats gain seats in the senate in 2022. But, hey, I know, that takes a bit of research.
You seem to think it is a foregone conclusion Dems will take control of the senate this election. What if they don’t? Then they won’t have to flip ANY seats. Or what if they only have to take one? Certainly possible. Buy hey, I know, that takes a bit of research.

Filling an open vacancy after you refused to do the same thing 4 years ago is both an attempt to pack the court and hypocritical. Failing to acknowledge that is equally hypocritical.
No, it is not an attempt to pack the court. They have a responsibility to fulfill the duties of their office. You don’t like it because you are a dem and don’t want a Republican President/senate to make the pick. But as I have stated several times....I don’t care one way or the other.

Hypocritical? Probably. But then, almost all politicians are. Even, GASP!, Democrats.

You seem to think it is a foregone conclusion Dems will take control of the senate this election. What if they don’t? Then they won’t have to flip ANY seats. Or what if they only have to take one? Certainly possible. Buy hey, I know, that takes a bit of research.

I knew you try to do that. So predictable.

It was obviously implied based on your post you don't think the R's will keep the Seante in 2020 (which is like a 20 percent chance of happening).

Look you got caught not knowing what you are talking about. Few democratic seats, if any, will be in play in the Seante in 2022. You got called on it and then tried to pivot to some...well what if they keep it in 2020. Nice try we see your crap.

BTW you didn't respond to your lies in the other thread. That depression you guaranteed by May 1...then by June 1...when we were still on full lockdown, really happened huh?

I knew you try to do that. So predictable.

It was obviously implied based on your post you don't think the R's will keep the Seante in 2020 (which is like a 20 percent chance of happening).

Look you got caught not knowing what you are talking about. Few democratic seats, if any, will be in play in the Seante in 2022. You got called on it and then tried to pivot to some...well what if they keep it in 2020. Nice try we see your crap.

BTW you didn't respond to your lies in the other thread. That depression you guaranteed by May 1...then by June 1...when we were still on full lockdown, really happened huh?
Again...you seem to think there would be no way Republicans could regain the Senate in 2022 if they lost it in 2020. Not true at all, especially if they only have to regain one seat.

You fail at this.

You are f'n insane if you think Nancy wouldn't be stummering, stuttering, sucking her teeth, as she does the same thing the Right is going to do.

She is in the House so it wouldn't really be her call to make.

Reactions: lucas80
No, it is not an attempt to pack the court. They have a responsibility to fulfill the duties of their office. You don’t like it because you are a dem and don’t want a Republican President/senate to make the pick. But as I have stated several times....I don’t care one way or the other.

Hypocritical? Probably. But then, almost all politicians are. Even, GASP!, Democrats.
What a pile of crap this is. McConnell and the Senate shouldn't selectively choose when to uphold their oath of office. You excusing it is just as bad and your rationalization is laughable.

Redistricting after 2020 isn't going to help the GOP regain the House. It is already heavily tilted in their favor from 2010 and they are in the minority. They are going to have a tougher road to climb, and should the Dems admit Puerto Rico and DC it gets even tougher in the House and Senate.

Last edited:
adding members to the court that has no set # and has changed before = packing

holding court seats open because the president isn't in your party in 2016 waiting for the election, then doing the exact opposite 4 years later in an election year with even less time = not packing and completely cool

Story from the Associated Press:

* The 2020 election is 46 days away.

* The average number of days to confirm a justice, according to the Congressional Research Service, is 69 days, which would be after the election.

* Some Republicans quickly noted that Ginsburg was confirmed in just 42 days.

The full story:

You'd better check out the districts of the Dems as well.
Gladly. The best thing that could happen to America is neutral redistricting nation wide. That, term limits, forcing members of Congress to live in a dormitory together, and the POTUS being elected for a single six year term.

Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski have both stated that they do not think a new justice should be voted on during this session. If one more Republican comes out we could see a justice confirmed on a tie breaking vote by Mike Pence. If two more come out than Mitch cannot move forward with a nomination.
A Pence confirmed justice would be find legacy for an "institutionalist", like Chuck who gets teary eyed when he speaks of the comity of the Senate.

Scumbag Mitch will call for a vote and scumbags Collins and company will confirm a new justice. Eff the Republicans

2 minutes after the news hit, you are spreading this political garbage and have the nerve to call other people scumbags.

ADVERTISEMENT