ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Driscoll

Let's not add this to the same damn headline right below this one..... Someday hopefully op will disappear...i wasn't around when Driscoll was but learned in the other thread he must of been pretty talented so RIP

Reactions: TugsMcGee
Dang how does one die so young from heart attack. I guess mid 40s and above is when it all starts.
It isn't necessarily a heart attack as it is a heart defect or malfunction. We had a kid " die" on the field when I was a senior in high school. Thought it was a heart attack but it turned out to be a short circuit.

Terrible for the Driscoll family. Ts&Ps.

Reactions: Wadzinator
wow too young. saw him live I think once or twice. I think it was an MSU game. but at that time there were injuries and changing of QB around and stuff but if I recall it was him playing.

Sudden collapse and death during exercise at that age is invariably caused by a cardiac defect of some sort. The most well-known in sports history are Pete Maravich (coronary artery anomaly - amazing he didn't die earlier) and Hank Gathers (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy). Another possibility, as was alluded to above, is not necessarily an anatomic defect but a dysfunction of the electrical circuitry. The most common of these is long QT syndrome, which tends to run in families, but can occur spontaneously, and can only be diagnosed with an EKG, which isn't necessarily part of a routine sports physical (but should be IMO).

Very sad indeed.

Played HS basketball with his dad, Pat, who also passed way too soon. T and P to mother and wife Teresa.

Played HS basketball with his dad, Pat, who also passed way too soon. T and P to mother and wife Teresa.
anybody heard of mark driscoll from CR ? I always wondered if they were related. he was a pro bmx racer. mark was my hero growing up in iowa. literally my hero.

Sudden collapse and death during exercise at that age is invariably caused by a cardiac defect of some sort. The most well-known in sports history are Pete Maravich (coronary artery anomaly - amazing he didn't die earlier) and Hank Gathers (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy). Another possibility, as was alluded to above, is not necessarily an anatomic defect but a dysfunction of the electrical circuitry. The most common of these is long QT syndrome, which tends to run in families, but can occur spontaneously, and can only be diagnosed with an EKG, which isn't necessarily part of a routine sports physical (but should be IMO).

Very sad indeed.
Isn't that defect called Wolf Parkinson's White syndrome to many wires I was diagnosed with that 15 years ago doc said if I've never fainted or had rapid heartbeat he said I will be fine. He said some people live a normal life with it some don't.

Isn't that defect called Wolf Parkinson's White syndrome to many wires I was diagnosed with that 15 years ago doc said if I've never fainted or had rapid heartbeat he said I will be fine. He said some people live a normal life with it some don't.

WPW is also an electrical conduction issue, and although it can cause some exercise intolerance and make you go into an arrhythmia known as SVT, only very rarely would it cause sudden collapse and death. Like you suggested, most people with WPW live normal lives.

Reactions: Wadzinator
WPW is also an electrical conduction issue, and although it can cause some exercise intolerance and make you go into an arrhythmia known as SVT, only very rarely would it cause sudden collapse and death. Like you suggested, most people with WPW live normal lives.
So in Ryan's case how is it different if it has to with circiuts in the heart I'm not drilling you I'm curious you sound very educated in the area

Coming out of high school in the early 90s Ryan had an offer from every major school in the country. For awhile I thought there was no way he would end up at Iowa. He could of gone anywhere. But Ryan did up at Iowa and it was quite a recruiting triumph for Fry and the staff. Things did not go exactly as planned but Ryan maintained a good attitude throughout the process. It is shame to see a young promising life like Ryan's come to an tragic end. Ryan, you will always be missed by Hawkeye fans everywhere.

So in Ryan's case how is it different if it has to with circiuts in the heart I'm not drilling you I'm curious you sound very educated in the area

I don't know what Ryan's condition was (I assume we're awaiting autopsy), but in the case of comparing long QT with WPW: the exact circuitry is complicated and I'm certainly not the best person to explain it, but in short:

The most common complication of WPW is an arrhythmia known as SVT, which is only very rarely fatal and many people live with daily with essentially normal lives. This usually occurs spontaneously but risk may increase with exercise.

A common and most concerning complication of long QT is an arrhythmia known as torsades de pointes, which is highly fatal. Although this can occur spontaneously, the risk is much much higher with exercise.

I don't know what Ryan's condition was (I assume we're awaiting autopsy), but in the case of comparing long QT with WPW: the exact circuitry is complicated and I'm certainly not the best person to explain it, but in short:

The most common complication of WPW is an arrhythmia known as SVT, which is only very rarely fatal and many people live with daily with essentially normal lives. This usually occurs spontaneously but risk may increase with exercise.

A common and most concerning complication of long QT is an arrhythmia known as torsades de pointes, which is highly fatal. Although this can occur spontaneously, the risk is much much higher with exercise.
Thanks appreciate your time

I have a favorite story about Ryan. I think it's true. His senior year, Iowa was way ahead of Indiana ( I think) and Ryan was told by Hayden to go in and finish the game with a few minutes to go. Ryan told Hayden " No thanks coach.....I'm not your mop-up guy". Anyone else remember this?

I have a favorite story about Ryan. I think it's true. His senior year, Iowa was way ahead of Indiana ( I think) and Ryan was told by Hayden to go in and finish the game with a few minutes to go. Ryan told Hayden " No thanks coach.....I'm not your mop-up guy". Anyone else remember this?

That's your "favorite" story about him?

Reactions: michael.nelson311
Great celebration of life. Ferentz and current staff sent beautiful flowers. U of I athletic dept reps were present. Many former coaches, staff, & teammates were there. Some amazing memories and stories were told. Ryan was a special person!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT