ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Kriener update

hawk-i bob

HR Heisman
Oct 1, 2007
Iowa City
Didnt want to bury this in Fran's PTL thread. Has anyone heard exactly what happened up in Waterloo? More so....anyone heard his status?

Would hate to see him not be 100% for the overseas trip.

Very curious to know this too. Could have happened playing a pickup game anywhere.... Hopefully it is not too serious.

Was something wrong with Dailey too?

per Iowamavs14 .....You never know with back injuries. Kriener was in real pain when he came of the floor. He could wake up tomorrow no worse for wear. He could wake up with pain. It will interesting the next time he practices with contact. Anyone who's had a back injury knows they can linger. The injury should not have happened. There was no place for it in this setting

today per Iowamavs14...
We heard he was unable to participate in weight lifting session and workout/team pickup games. Coaches are out recruiting.

per Iowamavs14 .....You never know with back injuries. Kriener was in real pain when he came of the floor. He could wake up tomorrow no worse for wear. He could wake up with pain. It will interesting the next time he practices with contact. Anyone who's had a back injury knows they can linger. The injury should not have happened. There was no place for it in this setting

today per Iowamavs14...
We heard he was unable to participate in weight lifting session and workout/team pickup games. Coaches are out recruiting.

Wow, poor kid. I can't imagine working as hard as these guys work and then getting sidelined by something like this. It would be very frustrating. Hopefully they just get him healthy.

Wow, poor kid. I can't imagine working as hard as these guys work and then getting sidelined by something like this. It would be very frustrating. Hopefully they just get him healthy.

ya this is why I get concerned with PTL games..."the setting" doesnt happen in CHA...certainly players can hurt themselves anywhere but the chances increase when you get a little help from non-teammates.

OH well ... hope he can get back to 100% before the trip...RK can have a real impact this upcoming season.

Reactions: IA4EVER
Just guessing but he pobably got undercut on rebound.

Could be anything or nothing but the probabilities of something WRONG happening at the PTL have been increasing. This was talked about before last night, and I mentioned there were players playing out of control and wet spots weren't getting toweled.

I fear someday if things don't improve we might not have a PTL to enjoy. Worse, I fear the injury that precipitates that.

I'd rather see an emphasis on safety return to the league. That is the main reason Dr. Tom wanted the thing to begin with, as opposed to unorganized scrimmages with no trainers present nor refs to keep things in line.

I have a wild thought. With respect to Larson, he's run the league for decades, if he is not able to get the thing back to the asset it was, maybe he should step down or better still get someone to assist him.

This is important. Not as needed as it once was but there are dozens and dozens of these leagues all over the country so something about them is desired. I'd like to have my cake...without worrying about problems with it. Hopefully, these issues get fixed before we lose a guy for half a year, or worse.

Could be anything or nothing but the probabilities of something WRONG happening at the PTL have been increasing. This was talked about before last night, and I mentioned there were players playing out of control and wet spots weren't getting toweled.

I fear someday if things don't improve we might not have a PTL to enjoy. Worse, I fear the injury that precipitates that.

I'd rather see an emphasis on safety return to the league. That is the main reason Dr. Tom wanted the thing to begin with, as opposed to unorganized scrimmages with no trainers present nor refs to keep things in line.

I have a wild thought. With respect to Larson, he's run the league for decades, if he is not able to get the thing back to the asset it was, maybe he should step down or better still get someone to assist him.

This is important. Not as needed as it once was but there are dozens and dozens of these leagues all over the country so something about them is desired. I'd like to have my cake...without worrying about problems with it. Hopefully, these issues get fixed before we lose a guy for half a year, or worse.

Wet spots usually result in knee and leg injuries.

The guy who seems to have saw it but for some reason wont actually just say what happened described it as a "cheap play by ptl standards."

It sounds like extra towelers (to keep the floor dry) and an emphasis on refs controlling the game more in the playoffs, might help solve the issue.

Reactions: nu2u and DanL53
Let me ask, does anyone know if a trainer is even present these days at the PTL? Anybody? Trainer, Medic, some CPR trained Boy Scout? Saint Bernard with a keg around it's neck? Anything?

I don't even know what they're called but they have things on broom handles to dry the floor during games. Sounds like they need to get those at the games and someone to use them.

Reactions: DanL53
ya this is why I get concerned with PTL games..."the setting" doesnt happen in CHA...certainly players can hurt themselves anywhere but the chances increase when you get a little help from non-teammates.

OH well ... hope he can get back to 100% before the trip...RK can have a real impact this upcoming season.

CHA was brilliantly designed without AC.... Really tho, PTL is somewhat controlled. They are being watched. There are coaches, fans and refs. It's all on camera as well...

You don't have that in random pickup games, that these guys play in all the time. And if you have played in pickup games, it can get rough. Really rough. I don't think I ever left without some type of bruise or other pains. It's all part of the fun. ;)

Let me ask, does anyone know if a trainer is even present these days at the PTL? Anybody? Trainer, Medic, some CPR trained Boy Scout? Saint Bernard with a keg around it's neck? Anything?

Iowa at NLib yes...she was there. I could be wrong but pretty sure it was the same trainer for baseball.

Reactions: DanL53

As someone who played in both I would say that PTL games are much safer for the players than are the closed games at CHA.

As someone who played in both I would say that PTL games are much safer for the players than are the closed games at CHA.

No one is talking about ancient history. That is no one but those saying the PTL was safer in the old days. Don't worry though, I think most readers on here have figured out that you remember stuff from a long time ago pretty well, but are having trouble with the new things.

I was at the game in Waterloo, and he actually was slowly walking the ball up the court and his back just grabbed. My friend went and asked his mom what was wrong and she said he had back spasms. You can't put these guys in a plastic bubble. The speculation on this thread was a joke.

If the court isn't being kept dry, that should be pretty easy to correct. Kids love to mop up sweat. There also should be some sort of medical personnel available, which also should be easy, if not already there. Players making cheap unnecessary fouls is a little tougher to stop, but the players should be able to work that out among them. Injuries are not unavoidable. I hope it is just a minor problem, because it sounds like Kriener was having a great summer.

Edit: Didn't see the last post that went up when I was typing. Back spasms can mean there is little to worry about or can be something that persists. I am sure the coaches will make sure he takes it easy until they are sure the problem is gone.

Last edited:
I was at the game in Waterloo, and he actually was slowly walking the ball up the court and his back just grabbed. My friend went and asked his mom what was wrong and she said he had back spasms. You can't put these guys in a plastic bubble. The speculation on this thread was a joke.

that doesnt fit to what Iowamavs14 posted but maybe he got it wrong?

Reactions: RocknRollface

Well if what you're saying is true people were only speculating based on false eye witness statments of a cheap shot happening.

Well if what you're saying is true people were only speculating based on false eye witness statments of a cheap shot happening.

which to be clear I dont believe iowamavs posted it was a cheap shot happening...this is what he said.

The injury should not have happened. There was no place for it in this setting.

Both the NL Rec Center and the place they play in Waterloo are airconditioned. My goodness folks, back when it was at City High I remember nights where they had to call games because it was impossible to keep the floor dry. That was one of the reasons it left West High for NL Rec center was due to saftey. Now it left IC High for other reasons.

To clear up what happened in the game. First off my friend and I were near the baseline and had a good view of the contact that created the injury. If you were sitting in the main seating area courtside your view may have been limited. At the 12:30 point of the first half the score was 21-16 for Bohannon/Kriener. While in transition Kriener beat his man down the court and went to the ball side block. The trailing defender(neither Nunge or Carlson) who was beat on the play came up behind Kriener and displaced him from the block by a good 2 feet. My friend and I had close view of the play and both commented that if that happened to us we wouldn't get back up. There was a significant impact and it was all directed to the lower back. Kriener winced but ran back to the other end after a missed shot. The ball was quickly shot on the other end. Kriener got the rebound and took one dribble and stopped as it was easy to see he was in significant pain. I'll stand by my comment that there was no place for that kind of contact in the PTL setting. The guy was beat down the floor and to displace someone on the court like he did brings up the possibility of serious injury. Hopefully the injury is minor but we all know back injuries can be fickle. Big guys take a lot of abuse during the season to their lower backs and once an injury starts in that area it can be difficult to get it healed. I also commented that during the game Klimt Carlson was lucky to avoid a serious injury.

As far as the game goes, without Kriener in the game the 5 point lead turned into a 22 point deficit before Bohannon made a frantic charge. It was fun to watch the kid shoot it from all over the gym. Kriener was easily the best player on the floor the first 8 minutes and was dominating Nunge and Carlson. Without him Friedman and Brown from UNI wore down. They had no subs. Nunge/Ellingson team was rotating 4 subs in every few minutes.

During the game Randy Larson(coach of Nunge/Ellingson) was patrolling the sidelines like it was the NBA finals, barking commands to his team. Kriener/Bohannon played most of the year with 5 or 6 players and no coach.

As a side note I have gone to PTL games for a few years and thought the offiating has been pretty good. But the officials were not in position on the Kriener or Carlson plays. Their main focus should be to eliminate all unnecessary contact. Basketball is a rough sport but these plays could have been avoided.

The PTL is a great avenue for fans to see the players in a close setting. Also great for fans and kids to get autographs and talk with the players. More plays like this and the PTL will be in jeopardy.

To clear up what happened in the game. First off my friend and I were near the baseline and had a good view of the contact that created the injury. If you were sitting in the main seating area courtside your view may have been limited. At the 12:30 point of the first half the score was 21-16 for Bohannon/Kriener. While in transition Kriener beat his man down the court and went to the ball side block. The trailing defender(neither Nunge or Carlson) who was beat on the play came up behind Kriener and displaced him from the block by a good 2 feet. My friend and I had close view of the play and both commented that if that happened to us we wouldn't get back up. There was a significant impact and it was all directed to the lower back. Kriener winced but ran back to the other end after a missed shot. The ball was quickly shot on the other end. Kriener got the rebound and took one dribble and stopped as it was easy to see he was in significant pain. I'll stand by my comment that there was no place for that kind of contact in the PTL setting. The guy was beat down the floor and to displace someone on the court like he did brings up the possibility of serious injury. Hopefully the injury is minor but we all know back injuries can be fickle. Big guys take a lot of abuse during the season to their lower backs and once an injury starts in that area it can be difficult to get it healed. I also commented that during the game Klimt Carlson was lucky to avoid a serious injury.

As far as the game goes, without Kriener in the game the 5 point lead turned into a 22 point deficit before Bohannon made a frantic charge. It was fun to watch the kid shoot it from all over the gym. Kriener was easily the best player on the floor the first 8 minutes and was dominating Nunge and Carlson. Without him Friedman and Brown from UNI wore down. They had no subs. Nunge/Ellingson team was rotating 4 subs in every few minutes.

During the game Randy Larson(coach of Nunge/Ellingson) was patrolling the sidelines like it was the NBA finals, barking commands to his team. Kriener/Bohannon played most of the year with 5 or 6 players and no coach.

As a side note I have gone to PTL games for a few years and thought the offiating has been pretty good. But the officials were not in position on the Kriener or Carlson plays. Their main focus should be to eliminate all unnecessary contact. Basketball is a rough sport but these plays could have been avoided.

The PTL is a great avenue for fans to see the players in a close setting. Also great for fans and kids to get autographs and talk with the players. More plays like this and the PTL will be in jeopardy.

Thank you. I held my tongue after this thread had a kind of sudden turn with someone's, "The speculation on this thread was a joke." I reviewed that person's posts and found that heck, I almost always like what the guy says. And it occurred to me....he probably saw the slow dribble up the court, back hurt, AFTER the initial cause. From that perspective...from this perspective...that kind of crud.

Mavs, you cleared it up nicely.

Reactions: hawk-i bob
which to be clear I dont believe iowamavs posted it was a cheap shot happening...this is what he said.

The injury should not have happened. There was no place for it in this setting.

He insinuated a cheap shot prior to the post you are quoting, and now has given an explanation.

As to City High. Yes, there were times they called off the games due to excessive heat. Safety. They also had an organized "towel team" of youths who actually had a longtime Hawkeye fan organizing them and making sure there were kids toweling the floor. Safety. They also had refs who tossed out hot heads, (Jason Reese...I'm thinking of you :rolleyes:) on a regular basis. Safety.

I'm not trying to be an alarmist...but the PTL needs to get back to that kind of thought process.

I'd say the PTL is being run about as well as can be expected given the changes that have reduced the amount of players participating. The very good high school players (such as a Wieskamp) are not playing PTL due to focus and commitment on the AAU and feature events during the summer. I can't blame the elite high school players for making that choice, as they are benefiting from the exposure there. Historically there has been a larger number of former Iowa or other college players in the league as well.

I trust Fran to make the best decision for the program long-term, whether it's participating in PTL or not. It's a great opportunity to see the new players and see how the returning players have expanded their games.

I'd say the PTL is being run about as well as can be expected given the changes that have reduced the amount of players participating. The very good high school players (such as a Wieskamp) are not playing PTL due to focus and commitment on the AAU and feature events during the summer. I can't blame the elite high school players for making that choice, as they are benefiting from the exposure there. Historically there has been a larger number of former Iowa or other college players in the league as well.

I trust Fran to make the best decision for the program long-term, whether it's participating in PTL or not. It's a great opportunity to see the new players and see how the returning players have expanded their games.

oh Fran will do what is the best for his program and the health of his players..rest assured of that. The recent injury to Kriener & why it happen can not be sitting well.

I too would miss not being able to see a few PTL games & getting a sneak preview of incoming & returning players.

I would imagine Fran got all the particulars with what happen with Ryan in Waterloo.

Mav or Tedboy can chime in but considering the hot and humid weather outside, I thought the conditions in the Sportplex were good, including the floor.

No way he's healthy and redshirts. Glad to hear he's not in a brace, but that's hardly an all is well assessment. Does anyone know?

No way he's healthy and redshirts. Glad to hear he's not in a brace, but that's hardly an all is well assessment. Does anyone know?

Good question! I wish someone would be able to break the ice here and announce all is good... A video of Kriener throwing one down with a monster slam would suffice. ;)

I suspect we will have some answers here shortly. Once the team arrives in Europe, there will be no hiding whether he is fine, or there are issues... If Ryan is sat out of the games, it could be precautionary. However, it would not be a good sign.

ADVERTISEMENT