ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Sokol

FUMBLE-ROOSKY

Team MVP
Sep 12, 2009
Anyone remember why he switched his commitment from Iowa to Cornell. I see
he is registered for US open but hasn’t wrestled the last 2 years Maybe he has been injured? He is wrestling 70kg

Anyone remember why he switched his commitment from Iowa to Cornell. I see
he is registered for US open but hasn’t wrestled the last 2 years Maybe he has been injured? He is wrestling 70kg

At about 4:55 he is asked that question. He also mentions that he hurt his shoulder (about two years ago).

To add to this I’m pretty sure Ivy league's weren’t allowed to wrestle two years ago, and this year was his de facto RS freshman year.
Ivy League teams don't have redshirt years. He was not enrolled at Cornell two years ago, and being enrolled this year means that he burned a year of (Ivy) eligibility despite not wrestling in any competitions.

If Colton Yapoujian can recover from his (knee?) surgery, Sokol will not have a shot at starting at 157 (and with Yianni at 149 and Ramirez at 165, Sokol has no starting shot whatsoever).

Ivy League teams don't have redshirt years. He was not enrolled at Cornell two years ago, and being enrolled this year means that he burned a year of (Ivy) eligibility despite not wrestling in any competitions.

If Colton Yapoujian can recover from his (knee?) surgery, Sokol will not have a shot at starting at 157 (and with Yianni at 149 and Ramirez at 165, Sokol has no starting shot whatsoever)
They use gray shirts as red shirts right? Did Sokol take one of them? I’ll be honest I stopped following his competitions after he de-committed.

Good Info, thanks for the correction.

They use gray shirts as red shirts right? Did Sokol take one of them? I’ll be honest I stopped following his competitions after he de-committed.

Good Info, thanks for the correction.
Red shirts are when a wrestler is enrolled in class but does not use any eligibility, and can compete unattached. Grey shirts are a gap year between graduating high school and matriculating at college; there is no guarantee of actually enrolling at the "committed" school. Sokol took the gap (aka "grey shirt") year, and matriculated at Cornell the following year.

I’m asking not arguing but registering and taking classes doesn’t affect a grayshirt does it?

I didn’t think a grayshirt was anymore than an agreement to not join the team for a season or sometimes even a semester until a scholarship becomes available

a kid grayshirting registering in school and taking classes doesn’t before they join team activities is perfectly fine..... correct ??

Reactions: SPGroth
I’m asking not arguing but registering and taking classes doesn’t affect a grayshirt does it?

I didn’t think a grayshirt was anymore than an agreement to not join the team for a season or sometimes even a semester until a scholarship becomes available

a kid grayshirting registering in school and taking classes doesn’t before they join team activities is perfectly fine..... correct ??
Your athletic clock doesn't start until you take enough classes to be considered "full time" (like 11 or 12 credit hours if I remember right). So a person could stay part time for a year and get some classes done without hurting their athletic eligibility. This could be considered a "Grey shirt".

Many kids move to the state where they've chosen to attend college and take a gap year between high school and college and work a job and wrestle at the club to establish in state residency and save a bunch of money on tuition. This would be your typical "Grey shirt".

hmm ok thanks..... guess I never realized that classes affected eligibility even if you weren’t participating in team activities

makes sense I guess.... lot more angles to keep track of than a person realizes.... interesting

hmm ok thanks..... guess I never realized that classes affected eligibility even if you weren’t participating in team activities

makes sense I guess.... lot more angles to keep track of than a person realizes.... interesting
There is NCAA eligibility and there is Ivy League eligibility. The former allows a student to attend classes but compete unattached, thereby maintaining eligibility for that scholastic year (aka "redshirting"). Ivy League eligibility is only a matter of being enrolled: if you are enrolled, you are using your eligibility regardless of your competition status. That, along with the Ivy League prohibition on graduate students competing is why you see Ivy League transfers competing as graduate students elsewhere (e.g., Patrick Brucki having graduated from Princeton, but using his final year of NCAA eligibility at Michigan). So, Ben Darmstadt who beat Brucki both times they competed, only got two years of wrestling due to staying enrolled, injuries, and then graduating. Some things are more important than wrestling in college.

If you want to know a bit more with examples, last year I asked Rob Koll about eligibility of then-current wrestlers (https://bigredbears.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=77) and recruits (https://bigredbears.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=78) including Sokol

There is NCAA eligibility and there is Ivy League eligibility. The former allows a student to attend classes but compete unattached, thereby maintaining eligibility for that scholastic year (aka "redshirting"). Ivy League eligibility is only a matter of being enrolled: if you are enrolled, you are using your eligibility regardless of your competition status. That, along with the Ivy League prohibition on graduate students competing is why you see Ivy League transfers competing as graduate students elsewhere (e.g., Patrick Brucki having graduated from Princeton, but using his final year of NCAA eligibility at Michigan). So, Ben Darmstadt who beat Brucki both times they competed, only got two years of wrestling due to staying enrolled, injuries, and then graduating. Some things are more important than wrestling in college.

If you want to know a bit more with examples, last year I asked Rob Koll about eligibility of then-current wrestlers (https://bigredbears.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=77) and recruits (https://bigredbears.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=78) including Sokol
well that’s all interesting.... screwed around and learned something in the cesspool..... that doesn’t happen everyday

If Colton Yapoujian can recover from his (knee?) surgery, Sokol will not have a shot at starting at 157 (and with Yianni at 149 and Ramirez at 165, Sokol has no starting shot whatsoever).
If only there was a school out there that had a need at that weight…….

Our need is for someone better than Ryan Sokol. Not that I wouldn't take him.
Agree to an extent. Kid was a 3X MN champ, Fargo Champ and World Team member. I’m hoping our future 157 is Shapiro, but we’ve got a glaring hole at 157 next year. I think Ryan would likely be an upgrade over any of our guys vying for the spot.

Agree to an extent. Kid was a 3X MN champ, Fargo Champ and World Team member. I’m hoping our future 157 is Shapiro, but we’ve got a glaring hole at 157 next year. I think Ryan would likely be an upgrade over any of our guys vying for the spot.
he did a lot of that damage before he hurt his back and was off the mat for a long time. he wasn't that great of a recruit after that imo. it's not like cornell has world beaters 157 and yet he's not really in discussion to start. maybe he's been hurt again, but that's just another issue.

he did a lot of that damage before he hurt his back and was off the mat for a long time. he wasn't that great of a recruit after that imo. it's not like cornell has world beaters 157 and yet he's not really in discussion to start. maybe he's been hurt again, but that's just another issue.

Agree, I like Rathjen's potential more.

Reactions: Gobblin and js8793

I'm setting my sights higher than an unproven guy (in college) who's been injured for a couple of years. Again, would happily take him on the roster but I wouldn't want him to be the end of the search.

Is he projected at 157? Does he have the size to fill that weight out?
Potentially, I like him as a big 149 myself but he has the height and frame to be 157 at some point. Basically if I had to choose between him or Reyna being an undersized 157 or Sokol I'd take the guys we already have.

Potentially, I like him as a big 149 myself but he has the height and frame to be 157 at some point. Basically if I had to choose between him or Reyna being an undersized 157 or Sokol I'd take the guys we already have.
We need to change our mindset a bit. We should focus on guys who score points in March. Those guys tend to be top 20 pfp. Projects should never be penciled-in for points or counted on for production.

We need to change our mindset a bit. We should focus on guys who score points in March. Those guys tend to be top 20 pfp. Projects should never be penciled-in for points or counted on for production.
I agree on that, I'm just assessing based on what we have available vs Sokol.

Hope is not a plan.

"Sometimes, hope is all we ha--...." <good get btw>

bomb-hope-ready-to-explode-demonstrating-lost-hope-concept-d-illustration-bomb-hope-ready-to-explode-demonstrating-lost-hope-208418130.jpg

Reactions: el dub
Well I’ve got no experience in recruiting, but if you can get me on the Hawks payroll, I’ll give it a a whirl.
Relax. It’s all done by zoom now. You can have ocean view or mountain background on recruiting pitch. Some kids don’t pay much attention. So there’s that.

And I’d guess the top 20 pfp kids have too much going on to notice the difference between corn and sorghum, anyway…

Relax. It’s all done by zoom now. You can have ocean view or mountain background on recruiting pitch. Some kids don’t pay much attention. So there’s that.

And I’d guess the top 20 pfp kids have too much going on to notice the difference between corn and sorghum, anyway…
Can you have a money bag as the zoom background? Or at least a graph showing Spencer's t-shirt sales?

Reactions: 12tdsaw
ADVERTISEMENT