ADVERTISEMENT

Ryder Cup Captain's Picks

Hawk_4shur

HB Legend
Jan 2, 2009
Zach has got his hands full for sure.

On the plus side, it's going to be pretty easy to assemble a strong team. The problem is ... who do you leave out? It seems to me that there are at least 14 guys with a strong case for only 12 spots. And Glover moved up 29 spots with his win and is red hot.

Justin Thomas is not playing well, but has been strong in international events.

Who makes the cut in your opinion?

JT has been money in these but even by his own admission he’s been playing trash golf. He isn’t going to make it.

I think the last two spot probably come down to Glover, Finau, JT, Young, and Burns. And DeC?

Glover - Do you trust a 43 year old rookie who didn’t play any majors this year?
JT - Yeesh lately
Finau - Top 5 talent - can’t putt for shit right now
Burns - Too soon for him?
Young - Playing better lately

Auto 6

Scheffler - already on
Clark - already on
Harman
Homa
Cantlay
Koepka

Picks:

Schauffele
Morikowa
Ricky
Jordan

I think the last two spot probably come down to Glover, Finau, JT, Young, and Burns. And DeC?

Glover - Do you trust a 43 year old rookie who didn’t play any majors this year?
JT - Yeesh lately
Finau - Top 5 talent - can’t putt for shit right now
Burns - Too soon for him?
Young - Playing better lately

Auto 6

Scheffler - already on
Clark - already on
Harman
Homa
Cantlay
Koepka

Picks:

Schauffele
Morikowa
Ricky
Jordan
I thought xander was in not homa. If so I would swap them.

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
Despite his strong play historically, I don't think you can put Thomas on the roster. The way he's hacked it around this year, he might not be an A player in the Sunday mens game at my local muny.

When was the last time a USA team won on European soil? WWII? I don’t think it will matter who is on team USA when the Euro’s are on home soil when Sergio and Ian play out of their asses to lead them to another victory, sad to say. Great theatre though.

JT should NOT be on the roster. I don't care what his history is. He stinks right now. Glover is playing lights out and it's quite obvious his putter is the reason. He's been in the top tier of ball strikers forever and now he can putt. Should give him one shot at it before he's named captain in a few years from now.

uh-no-no.gif

Reactions: littlez
The rankings have changed since I posted the OP. Glover up to #16 is really interesting. If he keeps it together the next couple of weeks it would be really hard to pass him up.

The two year point system also make it difficult. Cam Young is 9th in Ryder Cup points but 46th in Fedex points.

The last thing the US team needs is controversy when heading across the pond. I hope the guys that don't make it are dignified about it.

When was the last time a USA team won on European soil? WWII? I don’t think it will matter who is on team USA when the Euro’s are on home soil when Sergio and Ian play out of their asses to lead them to another victory, sad to say. Great theatre though.
I read something a while back about the Europe thing. Basically the US team would show up and play, mostly not successfully. This year Zach is taking the team to Italy for two weeks prior to the Ryder Cup to play the course and get a feel for it. Hopefully that will lead to success, that and that the US has better golfers.

Team USA should be:
Scottie
Wyndham
Brooks
Bryson
Xander
Morikawa
Spieth
Homa
Cantlay (hate him)
Harman
Finau
Glover

Ahhh overlooked Rickie like an idiot but I would probably swap finau for Fowler. Bryson has been playing good golf this year
Everything I have read from Zach talks about chemistry being a big factor. Makes me think Bryson is out. Tougher choices than usual all around.

Chemistry is everything. Players say they are "playing for their country", but they are really playing for their team.

That is not intended to be a criticism.

I think Brooks will be the only LIV guy I don't think Zach will pick any as captain's picks.

The new Ryder Cup uniforms are here! The new Ryder Cup uniforms are here!

And they are …. um something.

Meh...I have this shirt...
CASTAWAY-Patriot-Polo.jpg

In fairness, it’s hard to make red and blue look good together. The top left is pretty standard Ryder cup shirt for years, as is the bottom right sweater.

The other 2 could use some work imo.

In fairness, it’s hard to make red and blue look good together. The top left is pretty standard Ryder cup shirt for years, as is the bottom right sweater.

The other 2 could use some work imo.
Horizontal stripes look garish, at least go with verticle. I do like upper right pic.

That said, those uni's look so 70's-ish. Lets get with the fashion 2020's.

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
I love Young's attitude.. bet he'd be entertaining as hell on the team

I read something a while back about the Europe thing. Basically the US team would show up and play, mostly not successfully. This year Zach is taking the team to Italy for two weeks prior to the Ryder Cup to play the course and get a feel for it. Hopefully that will lead to success, that and that the US has better golfers.
Normally the FedEx play offs end and the Ryder Cup is two weeks later so they don’t really have time to get across the pond to have any time at the venue. Good to know they’ve pushed back the start so team USA can get time on the course.

That sweater is an abomination. If Zach or his wife picked that, they should not be allowed in Kinnick Stadium this fall unless they bring the Ryder cup with them to visit and show it off after they win it on European soil.
September in rome - doubt any sweaters will be needed.

With only a couple days to go ....

Auto picks -

Sheff
Clark
Harman
Cantlay
Homa
Schauffele

Prediction for Zach's picks -

Koepka
Spieth
Bradley
Fowler
Glover
Morikawa

JT, Young and Burns watch from the sidelines.

Very inexperienced team as Cuppers. Auto qualifiers are all pretty inexperienced in RC play - three of them are rookies.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT