ADVERTISEMENT

Sad and serious question about a 24-year old who might be schizophrenic

Tenacious E

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
I have a nephew who is 24. Prior to December of this year, in all aspects of his life he seemingly was touched by the hand of god. Brilliant, awesome student, blonde haired blue eyed Ken Doll, charismatic, musically talented, affable. Just graduated with an engineering degree in materials science from a nationally ranked program. He's the kind of kid who built is own forge and workshop in his parents' backyard, and learned how to blacksmith tridents, cure leather and make his own leather pouches. He even taught himself to make awesome Lichtenberg wood burning art, similar to this:
acf8604027a89baf1622d6f0c9453064.jpg

If his talents weren't enough, he even managed to make several hundred thousand dollars in his free time while an engineering student, riding the Game Stop train through Reddit.

The point of this is that he has/had world in the palm of his hand, and then he started saying some freaky shit about 3 weeks ago. His personality has changed and he claims to have had had epiphanies about how interconnected the entire world is, and he plans to write a book. But he can only release it a little bit at a time because otherwise the world cannot handle it. He expressed all kinds of grandiose ideas and is losing his tether with reality. He and my BIL talked about what was going on, and my nephew wept and cried because he does not believe that his dad will ever make to the next level of consciousness that he says he now occupies.

His parents have taken him to an urgent mental health clinic and the reviewing psychiatrist wants him to be admitted to a hospital for further testing and evaluation. However, he refuses, and he has not posed a physical danger to himself or others. His parents are both lawyers, and are evaluating if they can get him committed or what. I fear that he is on a toboggan starting down a mountain slope and is picking up speed. Has anyone dealt with this? Strategies on getting him the help he needs? Happy stories about outcomes?

Last edited:
Does he partake in @THE_DEVIL's lettuce? Early 20's is a common age for schizophrenia to start in males.

He has done weed - probably a lot. He was into mushrooms for awhile but claims to have not done them in over a year. To my knowledge he has never done LSD.

Does he partake in @THE_DEVIL's lettuce? Early 20's is a common age for schizophrenia to start in males.

Seems a little murky to me? Sure there seem to be some coincidences between pot and schizophrenia but don't you think a lot more people would suffer from schizophrenia if that were true? 95% of people who try it for the first time have to be between ages 16-22.

He has done weed - probably a lot. He was into mushrooms for awhile but claims to have not done them in over a year. To my knowledge he has never done LSD.

From that article (if you're using it as reference), it indicates CBD may be better for schizophrenics than THC.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Seems a little murky to me? Sure there seem to be some coincidences between pot and schizophrenia but don't you think a lot more people would suffer from schizophrenia if that were true? 95% of people who try it for the first time have to be between ages 16-22.
I have read similar articles in the past 24 hours, and I have similar questions. I would bet that of people with schizophrenia who have done weed, they have done a number of other drugs/things which could be a cause/factor. I recall from stats class 25 years ago that they call this the problem of multicollinearity. But then again what the f*ck do I know.

A 24 year old, high achiever, having an "epiphany" as they finish school and realize how mundane the world is would not in and of itself point at schizophrenia for me. There are several qualifiers in order to get a major diagnoses like that so trust the doctors. On the ground level, specific to schizophrenia, watch for lack of hygiene, disorganized speech or thoughts and keep an eye on sleep habits.

God speed.

I don’t think you have enough to know for sure it is schizophrenia but for sure a visit with a mental health professional would be a good idea ASAP. We have a sad and legendary story of a FSU QB who got into bad drugs at Bonnarro and was never the same. Started with similar delusions of grandeur. So not sure if he got into something few weeks ago. Good luck, hopefully they can figured out and under control.

I have a a couple manic depressive/bi-polar relatives on my Dad’s side of the family. For two or three of the most serious, until they got help and got on the correct type and level of medication, some of the grandiose thoughts they had sound similar to your nephew. The biggest issue after the medication was correct, was ensuring they stay on it. It seemed like until they learned/accepted that, they would go off their meds, as they felt even better, then go right back into the rabbit hole of schizophrenia and usually had to be committed to a hospital until their medication took effect again.

I don’t think you have enough to know for sure it is schizophrenia but for sure a visit with a mental health professional would be a good idea ASAP. We have a sad and legendary story of a FSU QB who got into bad drugs at Bonnarro and was never the same. Started with similar delusions of grandeur. So not sure if he got into something few weeks ago. Good luck, hopefully they can figured out and under control.
I played with a guy in college that got diagnosed schizophrenic because the dumbass Dr didn't take 30 seconds to talk to him about his massive cocaine habit.

(Drug induced psychosis)

A 24 year old, high achiever, having an "epiphany" as they finish school and realize how mundane the world is would not in and of itself point at schizophrenia for me. There are several qualifiers in order to get a major diagnoses like that so trust the doctors. On the ground level, specific to schizophrenia, watch for lack of hygiene, disorganized speech or thoughts and keep an eye on sleep habits.

God speed.
After this morning's appointment at the clinic where they recommended hospitalization, he agreed to "have lunch with a psychiatrist." He and his parents arrived at the doctor, but he refused to wear a mask. He fled, hid in some trees, took an uber, and his parents do not know where he is now. He was one of the more intelligent people I know, and extremely rational. This is some sad and spooky shit, so I hope you are right.

If he is in Iowa all it takes is two adults that know him to sign affidavits of his situation and a sympathetic judge to get him committed.

Way easier than getting him admitted against his will at a hospital. Believe it or not, the threshold for involuntary commitment at the hospital is much higher than families in front of a judge it seems based on my experience.

Last edited:
What does he mean by the next level of consciousness?
I am not sure. I only talked with him on a limited basis over the holiday weekend. My understanding is that he sees connections everywhere and understands how the world operates different than everyone else.

After this morning's appointment at the clinic where they recommended hospitalization, he agreed to "have lunch with a psychiatrist." He and his parents arrived at the doctor, but he refused to wear a mask. He fled, hid in some trees, took an uber, and his parents do not know where he is now. He was one of the more intelligent people I know, and extremely rational. This is some sad and spooky shit, so I hope you are right.
Now you are starting to give me some more behaviors associated with schizophrenia- paranoid type. Keep an eye on his hygiene that a dead giveaway for that.

I am not sure. I only talked with him on a limited basis over the holiday weekend. My understanding is that he sees connections everywhere and understands how the world operates different than everyone else.
I say we hear him out. I've been waiting for this.

Kidding aside, hoping for the best. This can be a bitch. Drugs wouldn't help, but most people with drug problems don't think they have found the mathematical expression that explains everything.

Sounds like there are a few options here -

1) He gets involuntarily committed to his family's home
2) He accepts treatment
3) He continues down this path
4) Somebody asks him whether his next level of consciousness can process going on a Missouri boat ride

I have a nephew who is 24. Prior to December of this year, in all aspects of his life he seemingly was touched by the hand of god. Brilliant, awesome student, blonde haired blue eyed Ken Doll, charismatic, musically talented, affable. Just graduated with an engineering degree in materials science from a nationally ranked program. He's the kind of kid who built is own forge and workshop in his parents' backyard, and learned how to blacksmith tridents, cure leather and make his own leather pouches. He even taught himself to make awesome Lichtenberg wood burning art, similar to this:
acf8604027a89baf1622d6f0c9453064.jpg

If his talents weren't enough, he even managed to make several hundred thousand dollars in his free time while an engineering student, riding the Game Stop train through Reddit.

The point of this is that he has/had world in the palm of his hand, and then he started saying some freaky shit about 3 weeks ago. His personality has changed and he claims to have had had epiphanies about how interconnected the entire world is, and he plans to write a book. But he can only release it a little bit at a time because otherwise the world cannot handle it. He expressed all kinds of grandiose ideas and is losing his tether with reality. He and my BIL talked about what was going on, and my nephew wept and cried because he does not believe that his dad will ever make to the next level of consciousness that he says he now occupies.

His parents have taken him to an urgent mental health clinic and the reviewing psychiatrist wants him to be admitted to a hospital for further testing and evaluation. However, he refuses, and he has not posed a physical danger to himself or others. His parents are both lawyers, and are evaluating if they can get him committed or what. I fear that he is on a toboggan starting down a mountain slope and is picking up speed. Has anyone dealt with this? Strategies on getting him the help he needs? Happy stories about outcomes?
I'm far from an expert but this sounds less like Schizophrenia and more like Manic/Depression/Bipolar. Similar to what we've seen the last couple months. He's a genius but the mania can cause him to cross over the sanity line. Hopefully it is manic depression since that is more treatable.

I'm far from an expert but this sounds less like Schizophrenia and more like Manic/Depression/Bipolar. Similar to what we've seen the last couple months. He's a genius but the mania can cause him to cross over the sanity line. Hopefully it is manic depression since that is more treatable.
Schizophrenia and Manic look very similar, often hard to differentiate.

One of my good friends in college had mental health difficulties seemingly triggered by taking acid and got them under control for a while. Then he did a road trip with some folks to see three consecutive Dead shows, took mushrooms while gone, and returned to town the following week entirely wigged out. He spent three days wandering aimlessly around Chicago before returning to campus. He and I were scheduled to see a movie ("The Wall," of all things), and he was making no sense when he arrived at my apartment. He pulled a calculator out of his poncho, told me it was a time machine, and asked me where I wanted to go. I gave him a jokey answer. He punched a bunch of numbers into the calculator and told me, in complete seriousness, "You've been there already." He walked out in the middle of the movie (for perhaps obvious reasons). Another friend and I ended up having him hospitalized. He was in for two weeks and eventually somewhat recovered, but continued to struggle from time to time. I believe that he was diagnosed as manic-depressive or bipolar rather than schizophrenic.

Last edited:
I say we hear him out. I've been waiting for this.

Kidding aside, hoping for the best. This can be a bitch. Drugs wouldn't help, but most people with drug problems don't think they have found the mathematical expression that explains everything.
Actually... I would ask to hear him out. That's valuable information. If he puts forth a rational, coherent bit of reasoning I would feel quite a bit differently about him than if the opposite.

Actually... I would ask to hear him out. That's valuable information. If he puts forth a rational, coherent bit of reasoning I would feel quite a bit differently about him than if the opposite.
I was going to mention this in a thread yesterday where @torbee indicated he was developing his own theory of everything...

Something happening that quickly might be due to brain bleed/tumor?

Reactions: Slappy Pappy
I was going to mention this in a thread yesterday where @torbee indicated he was developing his own theory of everything...
Well I don't think my theory is about the interconnectedness of everything. It is only about how the modern drive for efficiency and profit over all else has had many bad, unintended consequences. And I also mostly think about it only after smoking cannabis. I sure don't FEEL schizophrenic (of course that's what a schizophrenic WOULD say, right?)

It could be either schizophrenia or someone riding a manic high. Both can have similar symptoms. I can tell you that bipolar often shows ‘risky’ behavior when manic. Things like spending a lot of money, risky sexual behavior, not needing to sleep, irritability, etc. similar to schizophrenia can have hallucinations and delusions. Bipolar can also can switch from extreme high behaviors to markedly depressive moods. Hence the bipolar.

He’s at an age where either diagnosis is common. Either way it’s not going to be an easy journey, but medications can help to manage it. Sounds like he really needs to be hospitalized and to spend some time with a psychiatrist. This needs to be controlled quickly to minimize the damage. He’s not going to like it, but really is the right thing to get him help. Best of luck to your family.

I hope it all works out.

In my former job, I'd get a lot of dual applications for committal. 1. Mental, 2. Substance Abuse.

If there was a sufficient basis to pick both, but I only want to find under one of them......What do you think I proceeded with? I'm curious as to what HROT thinks I did.

• Angry
Reactions: FranMcNepotism
I hope it all works out.

In my former job, I'd get a lot of dual applications for committal. 1. Mental, 2. Substance Abuse.

If there was a sufficient basis to pick both, but I only want to find under one of them......What do you think I proceeded with? I'm curious as to what HROT thinks I did.
I would think that despite what you wanted to do, you made findings on both bases, to provide an argument for harmless error should you be reversed on one, but not the other.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT