ADVERTISEMENT

Sad and serious question about a 24-year old who might be schizophrenic

I hope it all works out.

In my former job, I'd get a lot of dual applications for committal. 1. Mental, 2. Substance Abuse.

If there was a sufficient basis to pick both, but I only want to find under one of them......What do you think I proceeded with? I'm curious as to what HROT thinks I did.
I would assume the experience is much more punitive for someone committed for substance abuse? But I also think there's more resources for that at present?

Ugh sorry OP. I have a good friend that was an Airborne Ranger and was hit by a car in Italy and broke most of the bones in his body. After being in the Hospital for about a year he got out and was living with his wife and son.

He started acting crazy and she left him in fear and he ended up getting on all sorts of meds. He moved to Des Moines and when I moved here I met him for coffee. He would start talking about missions he went on and killing people. He ended up getting banned from all of the Starbucks.

He's been in in patient care a few times and when he's not on his meds can get really scary. Hope your friend gets the proper help.

I would assume the experience is much more punitive for someone committed for substance abuse? But I also think there's more resources for that at present?

Okay, so the rationale goes as follows. There are very few beds in Iowa providers that deemed both. One or the other makes it easier to get the individual out of the ER or jail.

I think that I've stated my anti-gun points (so lets not make this political). I would choose substance abuse commital over mental every time if there was evidence to support it. Rational: Somebody that is committed has their firearm rights taken away. Second, alot of mental health problems stem from substance abuse. The absolute vice versa could be said that mental health issues cause substance abuse issues.

Frankly, there is no good answer. But I do know this, we need to do a better job about taking each other on this small speck of the universe.

---------------------------------

Meds. I'm currently taking a venlafaxine. I like it. No extreme highs or lows normally.

I'm far from an expert but this sounds less like Schizophrenia and more like Manic/Depression/Bipolar. Similar to what we've seen the last couple months. He's a genius but the mania can cause him to cross over the sanity line. Hopefully it is manic depression since that is more treatable.
I feel for you and your family. I have a niece in her mid 30's who is bipolar and a drug user, mostly pot. Until a couple of years ago, she was able to mostly keep it together and maintain a job and raise a child. A couple of years ago, she went off her meds and hit the drugs hard. She suffered a schizophrenic type episode and it has been a roller coaster ever since, going from fairly rational one day to way out there the next. She is finally back on her meds and doing better. Hopefully, she stays on them but the odds are not good.

I don't think it can be diagnosed as schizophrenia unless it had been going on for 6 months.

At this point it sounds like a psychosis. My wife had one before we met as a reaction to some prescription meds. Her brother later on also had one. Both recovered. I was around when her brother had his and he talked a great deal like this.

He needs to be seen by some mental health professionals to try and see if they can find an external factor for it.

Good luck OP Ten E. I’m no expert, but unless he is a threat to himself or others I would try to refrain from having him committed. That can cause resentment towards the family that may never heal. Keep trying the therapy and doctor route. Best of luck.
Well his parents, siblings, and friends convinced him to go the ER tonight “after dinner.” But he says will not take any meds. We’ll see what the rest of the evening holds, but hopefully some progress…

Good luck OP Ten E. I’m no expert, but unless he is a threat to himself or others I would try to refrain from having him committed. That can cause resentment towards the family that may never heal. Keep trying the therapy and doctor route. Best of luck.
I disagree. The answer is not to let him go on in a psychotic state. That’s not doing him any favors at all. If he goes voluntarily for help, so much the better. If he is schizophrenic or bipolar, he will need medications. The family issues will be exponentially worse if he’s not stabilized long term.

Reactions: VodkaSam
I don’t know much about schizophrenia, but I’m interested in these tridents he is making.

images

Reactions: BrianNole777
So he is currently in a hospital/unit, and he had to decide on a code word to allow people to see him. The word he selected was verisimilitude. I will leave anyone interested to look it up to see his candlepower, or at least vocabulary...

So he is currently in a hospital/unit, and he had to decide on a code word to allow people to see him. The word he selected was verisimilitude. I will leave anyone interested to look it up to see his candlepower, or at least vocabulary...
the appearance or semblance of truth; genuineness; authenticity:

Wow. I hope things are discovered and some questions answered.

If he is in Iowa all it takes is two adults that know him to sign affidavits of his situation and a sympathetic judge to get him committed.

Way easier than getting him admitted against his will at a hospital. Believe it or not, the threshold for involuntary commitment at the hospital is much higher than families in front of a judge it seems based on my experience.
Need proof of intent to hurt themselves or someone else. If you get that, then 72 hours comes ip and if they “play the game” and say what the Dr wants them to say, they walk. At least that is what went down when we committed my SIL….

Reactions: win4jj
We did this with our SIL. She no longer has anything to do with the entire family….

Reactions: win4jj
My best friend became schizophrenic when he moved to California and it was pretty similar. If you have the predisposition to schizophrenia, it comes out in your 20's and drugs can kind of speed up the process which is what happened to my friend. He made similar claims as OP mentioned and it was probably one of the most heartbreaking things for me to witness because I saw him slowly unwind into that and he was such an intelligent person before those thoughts started taking over. I couldn't have a normal conversation the last time I saw him without him going on endless conspiracy theory filled rants and it was super sad. I believe he's in a long term mental health facility now getting help but I hope it isn't something as severe for your nephew.

My understanding is that it is difficult to properly diagnose someone unless they are clean. Any drugs or alcohol can skew things and lead to misdiagnoses.

I realize this is easier said than done.

What does he mean by the next level of consciousness?

Think about how an ant perceives you and how we would perceive something that much more sophisticated than us.

It would be a higher level of perspective and our own egos get in the way of experiencing it.

I have not partaken in psychedelics, but I know plenty of people who have, and that seems to be the gist of it.

Regarding the OP. I would probably rule out being a part of some crazy cult/religion thing since it seems like he's focused on himself being some sort of "Messiah." Unless he's planning on starting one which doesn't sound too far off base from what you said he's talking about. I don't know if he's a Schizo because I'm not an Psychiatrist, but he definitely seems like he needs some help. Hopefully he just hit some heavy drugs and snaps out of it, but I'm sure they can do a tox test to see if that's the case.

Good to hear he's on meds and getting better. I hope the resentment fades and he stays on the meds
Thanks dude. He says he’s going to take them, get discharged, and then not take them. But hopefully once the mania subsides he will think better of that.

Reactions: Moral
When I had a mental breakdown I spent a good deal of time trying to figure out the world and all of the unseen relationships everything had. He sounds pretty smart so he probably has it charted more completely than I did. I didn't get any scary diagnosis like schizophrenia or bi-polar. It is interesting how badly the mind can break with anxiety, outside stress, and triggers.

Thanks for remembering and asking. Bipolar. Seems to be doing pretty well, although he won’t take meds. He just moved back out of the house to an apartment, and is under employed as a lab tech. Fingers crossed we won’t have a repeat.
This had just came up on my YouTube feed and reminded me of this thread.

Reactions: Tenacious E
When I had a mental breakdown I spent a good deal of time trying to figure out the world and all of the unseen relationships everything had. He sounds pretty smart so he probably has it charted more completely than I did. I didn't get any scary diagnosis like schizophrenia or bi-polar. It is interesting how badly the mind can break with anxiety, outside stress, and triggers.

I'm glad you're better, broseph.

Thanks for remembering and asking. Bipolar. Seems to be doing pretty well, although he won’t take meds. He just moved back out of the house to an apartment, and is under employed as a lab tech. Fingers crossed we won’t have a repeat.

Give him some positive reinforcement (if not you, someone else that it would hit him hard that he is doing better). I don't know him, but my guess is he wants to surprise the world and show he can be successful.

Life is a bitch man. Great things can happen and then shit happens. Our bodies and brains are not built to handle everything.

That is why I laugh when I hear people say, "suck it up bitch". Those are the people that I met for the the first time in jail, because they could not express feelings. Too tough guy/gal to acknowledge that they have feelings/faults/etc.

Not taking meds means it's going to happen again. Seen it in my own family (two aunts).

I have a a couple manic depressive/bi-polar relatives on my Dad’s side of the family. For two or three of the most serious, until they got help and got on the correct type and level of medication, some of the grandiose thoughts they had sound similar to your nephew. The biggest issue after the medication was correct, was ensuring they stay on it. It seemed like until they learned/accepted that, they would go off their meds, as they felt even better, then go right back into the rabbit hole of schizophrenia and usually had to be committed to a hospital until their medication took effect again.

Yep. That's the typical cycle.

And many of them who then skip the meds end up on the streets/homeless eventually.
Some don't get meds not because they want to skip them, but because we have no healthcare safety net in this country, even if people are successful in getting them to take them.

Has anyone dealt with this? Strategies on getting him the help he needs? Happy stories about outcomes?
My ENTIRE LIFE (father's diagnosis is Bipolar with Schizophrenic tendencies). His parents are about to find out how difficult our mental health resources are to navigate. Diagnosis will be the first uphill battle. Is he Bipolar, Schizophrenic, Dissociative Identity Disorder, (and the list goes one). Then, once a diagnosis is made (and hopefully it's the right one because there are overlapping symptoms sometimes), comes the trial and error of medications and other types of treatments (which can be VERY expensive).

Our best friend's oldest daughter (25) has DID and they've spent 10s of thousands of dollars on hospital stays, medications and several rounds of ECT (that's not covered by insurance).

Reactions: Tenacious E
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT