ADVERTISEMENT

Sage Steele on ESPN radio this afternoon

Dec 3, 2001
Espn afternoon radio shows change names and hosts so often lately that I'm not sure what program it was on, (roughly 3:30 Iowa time), but there was a 10 minute segment on Iowa's press conference and report findings today.
Maybe it's not worth mentioning, but Steele reported on accusations of which most I was aware of, but she also briefly mentioned something about the sleep monitoring aspect (which all players apparently had to do) and its negative effect on black players. I just thought that was a stretch.

Espn afternoon radio shows change names and hosts so often lately that I'm not sure what program it was on, (roughly 3:30 Iowa time), but there was a 10 minute segment on Iowa's press conference and report findings today.
Maybe it's not worth mentioning, but Steele reported on accusations of which most I was aware of, but she also briefly mentioned something about the sleep monitoring aspect (which all players apparently had to do) and its negative effect on black players. I just thought that was a stretch.
Can you elaborate what was said?

Damn racist sleep monitors!!!

Gonna call out our gloves or helmets next?

Not verbatim.....but she read through the list of general accusations, i.e Doyle, robbing a store, meals, "Iowa" way, walking on egg shells, tattoos and cornrows, essentially all of the ways that black athletes felt uncomfortable and couldn't be themselves which is incredibly valid and important to understand. Then she ended with sleep monitoring thing that made black players uncomfortable and kind of made it seem like it was only for black players. A) I didn't know Iowa did that and B) All players had to do it. I don't know why black players would be any more uncomfortable with this than any other player.
If a person bleeds black and gold, it was a tough 10/15 minutes to listen to due to the huge failures of the program. The sleep monitoring situation seemed to be "piling on".

not sure but I think the negative impact was the feedback or criticism they received from Doyle or others regarding their sleep habits

I know Kirk said from now on only first year players will have sleep monitors

The sleep monitors have been around for a while and it's been discussed by broadcasters in multiple games. The sleep leader on the team has been Nate S. This practice used to be looked at as a smart thing to do. Now, not so much.

Last edited:
Reactions: goodbyebobby
not sure but I think the negative impact was the feedback or criticism they received from Doyle or others regarding their sleep habits

I know Kirk said from now on only first year players will have sleep monitors

Requiring all players to wear sleep monitors is dumb, and quite honestly I'm surprised Iowa ever did this. If my employer said I needed to wear a sleep monitor and that all the data would go to my boss, I'd tell them to pound sand and I'd be setting up an appointment with my lawyer.

Requiring all players to wear sleep monitors is dumb, and quite honestly I'm surprised Iowa ever did this. If my employer said I needed to wear a sleep monitor and that all the data would go to my boss, I'd tell them to pound sand and I'd be setting up an appointment with my lawyer.
You’re not wrong, but that’s not the point. Why would this be racist?

I didn't realize your employer is giving you the chance to turn yourself into a millionaire sports figure.....

;)

Sleep/rest is the biggest recovery tool an athlete has. Teams trying to get 100% out of their players. I can see why teams do it.

If my employer saw my sleep they’d probably question my 12:30am-5:45am sleep habits lately. And it ain’t drinking..... or sex =-\
Ha......you actually get 5 hours of sleep.

not if you were on an athletic scholarship like they are

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Nobody is forcing them to stay at Iowa or you at your job. If they don’t like the rules applied to everyone they can leave at any point. If they want to trust the coaches who turn underrated players into millionaires then they should complain about things done equally to all and has no negative impact on them.

I seem to recall during the Minnesota vs. Iowa game, the broadcasters mentioned that the Minnesota program recently started utilizing sleep monitors to improve performance.

She will also push the agenda hard for other reasons. She was not included in some ESPN equality show and she alleged it was because she “wasn’t black enough.” So my guess is she will ride this as long as possible to prove her “blackness.”

I seem to recall during the Minnesota vs. Iowa game, the broadcasters mentioned that the Minnesota program recently started utilizing sleep monitors to improve performance.

Of course they did...because every single s&c coach knows that when anyone lifts weights, the 2 things you need the most is food and sleep.

Any of these reporters would sell their soul to be the spokesperson for Whoop or any other device, especially if Tom Brady or LeBron James said they used it too.

Reactions: ClarindaA's

When you've got one of these...everything is racist.
48feda2397acd5e886bb1c58adeb00f1.jpg

On the sleep aspect. First, how the hell is that racist if everyone has to do it?! Second, I believe the Patriots kind of started it. How has that worked out at the highest level and is BB racist? People attempting to pile on really just take away from the overall message.

Its not. This is just another thing that people are trying to steer into "a black issue". All the players wore them, and it wasn't just black players who were called out. I'm sure this was another Wadley issue though since he admittedly was out hitting bars when he should have been sleeping...

Anyone find it odd beyounce just dropped an album "black is king"? Can you imagine how "white is king" would go over from an artist?

If my job was dependent on my athletic performance I would volunteer to wear one. Maybe Ferentz will make this voluntary. You can bet that many players with NFL aspirations would jump at the opportunity.

Reactions: H4wkfan4life
If my job was dependent on my athletic performance I would volunteer to wear one. Maybe Ferentz will make this voluntary. You can bet that many players with NFL aspirations would jump at the opportunity.

Who at that age ever had a problem sleeping? I didn't and I didn't have any problem staying up way late either.

Who or where or when was it that they were forced to carry a water bottle and keep hydrated?

And you wonder why this country is on the verge of anarchy? If your employer asked you to wear one in hopes that it would or could improve your job performance, you can always say no and proceed to look for another employer. The other option would be to become another Akrum Wadley, get an attorney and then cry Victim.

1) To those in RioLinda, the Iowa Hawkeyes were utilizing Sleep monitors, because SCIENCE had told them that better sleep means better football performance. Apparently, some players and fans didn't get the memo??

2) This thread has Sage Steele in the title and there's No Picture? Thanks in advance. :)

Even worse if the white guy wears it and then somehow starts over the black player.

If that happened, if your lawyer was good, he/she would say "find a new job."

ADVERTISEMENT