ADVERTISEMENT

Sage Steele on ESPN radio this afternoon

Who at that age ever had a problem sleeping? I didn't and I didn't have any problem staying up way late either.

The average adult only gets 1-2 hours of "deep sleep" per 8 hours of sleep. I imagine these measure deep sleep and rem which can tell you if you are really getting "good" recovery rest. I don't believe the intention is to see who is "out partying" till the wee hours (but not a bad thing to know) or if a player has a problem sleeping. It was meant to give feedback about workout recovery and maximizing S&C.

Who at that age ever had a problem sleeping? I didn't and I didn't have any problem staying up way late either.

it is not a problem sleeping...it is an issue of the student athletes not getting enough sleep for various other reasons. A full nights sleep is vital for optimal physical and mental performance. There is a huge benefit athletically...that is why they were monitoring sleep.
It is a good idea that benefits the students...just like training table, S&C etc.

Not verbatim.....but she read through the list of general accusations, i.e Doyle, robbing a store, meals, "Iowa" way, walking on egg shells, tattoos and cornrows, essentially all of the ways that black athletes felt uncomfortable and couldn't be themselves which is incredibly valid and important to understand. Then she ended with sleep monitoring thing that made black players uncomfortable and kind of made it seem like it was only for black players. A) I didn't know Iowa did that and B) All players had to do it. I don't know why black players would be any more uncomfortable with this than any other player.
If a person bleeds black and gold, it was a tough 10/15 minutes to listen to due to the huge failures of the program. The sleep monitoring situation seemed to be "piling on".
So, you go out and party until 3AM and have to be at training the next day, you pay for it. My dad did it to me all the time. I learned to be home by 1AM. Nothing good ever happens after midnight anyhow.

These people are losing their message by trying to pile on. Somebody’s food wasn’t cooked to their liking (when all food was cooked the same) and sleep monitors (which every player had) are now examples of racism? I mean stick to the message of earrings, music and dreadlocks. At least that pulls some weight from a race side.

And to be clear I get the complaints from athletes. And am happy changes are being made. But stay on the ones that make sense. Not food being overcooked for the entire team and sleep monitors for all players as evidence of systemic racism. That makes the Jonathon Parker’s, Maurice Fleming’s and Marcel Joly’s and whoever else didn’t get drafted look like they want their 10 seconds of fame as opposed to lodging legit concerns.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in my late 20s. I’m 6 ft 200 pounds. There’s a misconception that only really heavy people can have sleep apnea.

The CPAP machine I have tells me every morning how I slept.

If you’re training athletes, conducting physical examinations on them, and monitoring their diet... wanting to know their sleep patterns isn’t absurd.

Even worse if the white guy wears it and then somehow starts over the black player.

In this case, the Coach would judge the preparedness for battle, in favor of the guy, who is conscientious enough to prepare for the battle in the way the Coach believes is best.
#gohawks

ADVERTISEMENT