ADVERTISEMENT

Saliou Seye.....2023 Recruiting (no new info-just some thoughts)

perryhawk

HR Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Perry, Iowa
When I look at our current 2023 class I see a really good, really solid class. We add quality depth at PG, we add a perimeter shooter and scorer (I think Sandfort could be special/high level), and we add a PF/C that I think will be a very good player. A really good foundation.....but one spot from being an outstanding class.

It appears to me that this Seye kid, right in our back yard, has the potential to be a real difference maker at the B10 level. 7 foot tall, very skilled, coordinated, and yet no where near his potential in terms of strength and athleticism....while already being a pretty good athlete.

If I were Fran......my assistant coaches and I would be camped out at Ellsworth CC.....I think this kid takes this recruiting class to another level.

So, sorry for my obsession.......I realize this makes it sound like Fran has to land this kid or else....which we know isn't the case. The kid apparently has no real ties to Iowa and is maybe about to experience his first bout of winter weather. Other major schools are already involved with Cincinnati, Missouri, Wichita State, Arizona State, West Virginia, and TCU just to name a few.

Last edited:
When I look at our current 2023 class I see a really good, really solid class. We add quality depth at PG, we add a perimeter shooter and scorer (I think Sandfort could be special/high level), and we add a PF/C that I think will be a very good player. A really good foundation.....but one spot from being an outstanding class.

It appears to me that this Seye kid, right in our back yard, has the potential to be a real difference maker at the B10 level. 7 foot tall, very skilled, coordinated, and yet no where near his potential in terms of strength and athleticism....while already being a pretty good athlete.

If I were Fran......my assistant coaches and I would be camped out at Ellsworth CC.....I think this kid takes this recruiting class to another level.

So, sorry for my obsession.......I realize this makes it sounds like Fran has to land this kid or else....which we know isn't the case. The kid apparently has no real ties to Iowa and is maybe about to experience his first bout of winter weather. Other major schools are already involved with Cincinnati, Missouri, Wichita State, Arizona State, West Virginia, and TCU just to name a few.
I have a feeling he's not in any rush to make a decision. He hasn't scheduled any visits yet and he's just a couple more weeks until he's in season. I could see him waiting until the spring to make a decision. Hopefully Iowa gets him to take an official visit.

I wonder if they are waiting to see him play a couple of games in Juco ball before putting the full court press on him. He looks really good doing drills and playing pick up but perhaps they want to see some live game action? I'm like you, I think we should be all over this kid just from an athleticism standpoint. Also wonder if they are waiting on a decision from JT Rock, even though he is in the next class.

I wonder if they are waiting to see him play a couple of games in Juco ball before putting the full court press on him. He looks really good doing drills and playing pick up but perhaps they want to see some live game action? I'm like you, I think we should be all over this kid just from an athleticism standpoint. Also wonder if they are waiting on a decision from JT Rock, even though he is in the next class.
Rock just got Kansas and WVU offers. He is about to blow up. Probably shouldn't wait on him.

Everyone seems concerned about Fran getting a 4th recruit for next years class, but It' not all that unrealistic to believe that the added scholarship player is not already on the roster. By all accounts Amarion Nimmors is as athletic and skilled as any player that Fran could bring in next year. Wouldn't be surprised if Nimmors gets a scholarship offer at the end of the year.
As for the JC player, the last thing Iowa needs is another project player. Iowa already has Ogundele and Mulvey, one beginning his 3rd year and the other beginning his 2nd and both heavy bench warmers.
The way I see it with Connor, Rebraca, and Murray moving on, if Fran offers a scholarship to Nimmors and Koch already in the fold, Fran has 3 additionally scholarships to give out for the 2024 season. My only wish, no more project players, please.....

Last edited:
Reactions: iabcuda
I don't mind a few projects. None of want to see the 12th and 13th guy playing anyway. But I don't want all my projects to be for the same position at the risk of not having a serviceable player when we need him.

I don't mind a few projects. None of want to see the 12th and 13th guy playing anyway. But I don't want all my projects to be for the same position at the risk of not having a serviceable player when we need him.
I agree with this sentiment but in considering those factors here’s a couple thoughts I have. 1) My guess is that it’s likely that either JO or Riley M won’t be on the roster by the time Seye would come on board, and 2) Is Seye really a project? If so, how much of a project? How far from being ready to contribute? I am guessing that’s one of the key things the Iowa staff is evaluating.

I agree with this sentiment but in considering those factors here’s a couple thoughts I have. 1) My guess is that it’s likely that either JO or Riley M won’t be on the roster by the time Seye would come on board, and 2) Is Seye really a project? If so, how much of a project? How far from being ready to contribute? I am guessing that’s one of the key things the Iowa staff is evaluating.
I'm not a coach, but Seye looks like a much different "project" than Ogundele or Mulvey. Seye appears to be a far better athlete than those 2. At the very least, should be able to block shots and play defense. Gabe Olaseni starter kit. Olaseni became a very good all around player.

Fran has a good overall track record of identifying undervalued recruits. I wouldn't put Ogundele and Mulvey in the category of successes. But there's still time, especially for Mulvey.

This. If Josh O doesn't play much this year (and doesn't show the effort to get into shape and improve enough to warrmore time), I am pretty sure he'll be moving on. I hope he stays!

Riley seems content to be on the team, but I think more competition would help to push him. Seye would come in next year with 3 years to play so Josh O would probably be gone for Seye's last 2 years. Seye and Riley would be fighting for minutes then.

Iowa has the open scholarships so, unless someone better comes along, I think it is worth pursuing for Iowa.

Everyone seems concerned about Fran getting a 4th recruit for next years class, but It' not all that unrealistic to believe that the added scholarship player is not already on the roster. By all accounts Amarion Nimmors is as athletic and skilled as any player that Fran could bring in next year. Wouldn't be surprised if Nimmors gets a scholarship offer at the end of the year.
As for the JC player, the last thing Iowa needs is another project player. Iowa already has Ogundele and Mulvey, one beginning his 3rd year and the other beginning his 2nd and both heavy bench warmers.
The way I see it with Connor, Rebraca, and Murray moving on, if Fran offers a scholarship to Nimmors and Koch already in the fold, Fran has 3 additionally scholarships to give out for the 2024 season. My only wish, no more project players, please.....
I believe the Murray twins were “projects” and that worked out pretty well.

Reactions: perryhawk
From the video he seems to have a nice 3pt shot. Not so sure about the 'power' forward tag tho. Pretty skinny and didn't see much rebounding in traffic.

Reactions: perryhawk

I don't mind projects, mainly because how many players these days spend time as 12/13th man (basically barely playing) then end up playing major minutes for a team down the road?

Plus, I also have zero issue "over-recruiting" guys. If a better player is available, bring them on. I mean, you want to have loyalty to your players, but you also want to put the best talent on yhe court you can get.

Besides, one complaint a lot of people have had with Fran is going too deep into the bench.

I'm not a coach, but Seye looks like a much different "project" than Ogundele or Mulvey. Seye appears to be a far better athlete than those 2. At the very least, should be able to block shots and play defense. Gabe Olaseni starter kit. Olaseni became a very good all around player.

Fran has a good overall track record of identifying undervalued recruits. I wouldn't put Ogundele and Mulvey in the category of successes. But there's still time, especially for Mulvey.

That's what I'm talking about right there......This kid has shown a 3 point shot, and it appears he also handles the ball really well, skills that neither Josh or Riley have shown. Believe me when I say that I hope Josh and Riley improve dramatically and play at what I think their potential is....because I think they would be really good. But the Seye kid appears to be ahead of both of them in terms of physical attributes AND skills. That's the opinion of this Joe fan with no real expertise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT