ADVERTISEMENT

Sam Stoll - #1 Ranking???

BIG10MANIAC

HR All-American
Apr 19, 2007
I was just looking at the finishing rankings on Intermat and I think it's obvious Spencer Lee will start #1 in the rankings to start the next season, but could Sam Stoll as well? I know it is super, super early but Heavyweight clears out big time with Snyder, Coon, Dhesi, Kasper, and Hughes all gone now. Stoll was the highest finisher who was not a senior... It could go #1 Stoll, #2 Nevills, and #3 Hemida...

Where do you guys think our other wrestlers will start next season in the rankings?
Go Hawks...

Reactions: Dagboi
I was just looking at the finishing rankings on Intermat and I think it's obvious Spencer Lee will start #1 in the rankings to start the next season, but could Sam Stoll as well? I know it is super, super early but Heavyweight clears out big time with Snyder, Coon, Dhesi, Kasper, and Hughes all gone now. Stoll was the highest finisher who was not a senior... It could go #1 Stoll, #2 Nevills, and #3 Hemida...

Where do you guys think our other wrestlers will start next season in the rankings?
Go Hawks...
Yes, #1, but IMO Steveson will be the favorite.

Go Hawks...

#1 Stoll, #2 Nevills, and #3 Stevenson

Stevenson will be too quick for Stoll to handle. I think Stoll will start the season ranked ahead of him but I can't picture Stoll beating him. I could be wrong and I hope Stoll puts in a crazy amount of work in the off season and comes back better than ever and I eat my words. Snyder would man handle Stevenson but that would be pretty cool to see.

Stevenson will be too quick for Stoll to handle. I think Stoll will start the season ranked ahead of him but I can't picture Stoll beating him. I could be wrong and I hope Stoll puts in a crazy amount of work in the off season and comes back better than ever and I eat my words. Snyder would man handle Stevenson but that would be pretty cool to see.
Gotta remember this is the first year that Stoll doesn’t have to rehab in the offseason. He could make some big strides.

That being said, at this point I’d still give the edge to Gable 12 months from now

25'-Champ
33'- 1-2
41'- Rd 12
49'- AA
57'- Finalist
65' - 3rd
74'- 2-2
84'- Rd 12
97'- AA
Hwt- Finalist

Does this get us close to PSU?

25'-Champ
33'- 1-2
41'- Rd 12
49'- AA
57'- Finalist
65' - 3rd
74'- 2-2
84'- Rd 12
97'- AA
Hwt- Finalist

I think this is a fairly realistic assessment. A little low for what I think Warner can do, but also probably a little high for Marinelli. For comparison, PSU will have.
25'- DNQ
33'- rd 12 ( true fresh could be higher)
41'- 4th
49'- rd 12 (another talented fresh)
57'- champ
65' - champ
74'- 2nd
84'- Champ
97'- AA-finalist
Hwt- 2-4

Gotta remember this is the first year that Stoll doesn’t have to rehab in the offseason. He could make some big strides.

That being said, at this point I’d still give the edge to Gable 12 months from now
Being as objective as I can with my disdain of Gopher fans...I think there are some potentially big problems ahead for Eggum and the program in regards to the Steveson family.

The draw to Minnesota for Gable was the fact his bro is there. But his brother has been a massive failure after his first two years of wrestling. so here's the rub... Eggum has to keep the family happy, so he wrestles Bobby even tho he's not the best 197 for them. The rest of the team sees the favortism and realizes the best guy might not be starting. This causes a rift among the team with sides being taken. All hell breaks loose and guys revolt.

or........... Eggum realizes he needs the best guy at 197 and it isn't Bobby. Gable gets pissed and gives Eggum an ultimatum... "Big bro starts or I'm gone".

End result... Eggum gets fired and the AD actually hires someone competent to be a head coach.

If this actually happens, I'll laugh my goddamn ass off and call Jammies the tool he really is.

BTW: To the Gopher fans reading this... run back to your board and report what happens on HR.. and give me the credit.:p:p .

Being as objective as I can with my disdain of Gopher fans...I think there are some potentially big problems ahead for Eggum and the program in regards to the Steveson family.

The draw to Minnesota for Gable was the fact his bro is there. But his brother has been a massive failure after his first two years of wrestling. so here's the rub... Eggum has to keep the family happy, so he wrestles Bobby even tho he's not the best 197 for them. The rest of the team sees the favortism and realizes the best guy might not be starting. This causes a rift among the team with sides being taken. All hell breaks loose and guys revolt.

or........... Eggum realizes he needs the best guy at 197 and it isn't Bobby. Gable gets pissed and gives Eggum an ultimatum... "Big bro starts or I'm gone".

End result... Eggum gets fired and the AD actually hires someone competent to be a head coach.

If this actually happens, I'll laugh my goddamn ass off and call Jammies the tool he really is.

BTW: To the Gopher fans reading this... run back to your board and report what happens on HR.. and give me the credit.:p:p .

Solid theory Mitch, but unfortunately Bobby is the best 197 on the roster.

I call bullshit, and if it's even remotely true, that's a giant lack of development from the staff. The guy that wrestled Wilcke, Anderson I think, only got beat 10-7 or so, BS would have likely gotten majored.
But if it gives you solace... believe what you want.

I'd go to the Gopher board to troll, but the locals are already trolling the fan base. I see there's a rumor circulating that Gable isn't going to qualify academically. Now that would be hilarious.

Minnesota still has an intercollegiate wrestling program? I thought it had fallen to club.

Minnesota still has an intercollegiate wrestling program? I thought it had fallen to club.
It's pretty much an alumni program. Most, if not all, of the assts wrestled for J. As far as the team... outside of Lizak... the team is comprised of in State kids and a few from Wisconsin and Illinois. Eventually, if he lasts long enough, Eggum will learn you have to recruit East Coast kids to be relevant.

Minnesota has good in State talent, but the best kids don't stay home to wrestle.

They are progressing, tho. I think they have an outside chance to win 3 matches next year against the Hawks.

you know damn well FLO will find a way not to rank stoll #1

i.e. "well yeah we know stoll finished ahead of him and beat him @ ncaa's but OBVIOUSLY nevills is better"

Rankings don’t matter anyways. 1-4 seems to be just fine. He did get pinned twice last weekend so it’s not like he would be a clear cut #1

How big is Stevenssen? Is he over 250? I think he's an all world talent and obviously special but some HS kid (granted another stud) just took him to the limits at the end of the season. He's stepping up a level and Stoll is a big dude. Is there a Snyder/Coon size difference comparison? I mean our guy S.F. Lee didn't go undefeated and he was wrestling guys his own size (well at least closer). Even if Stevenssen is a full 285, I'd be surprised if he just walked through a season against upper classman at the college level.

I call bullshit, and if it's even remotely true, that's a giant lack of development from the staff. The guy that wrestled Wilcke, Anderson I think, only got beat 10-7 or so, BS would have likely gotten majored.
But if it gives you solace... believe what you want.

I'd go to the Gopher board to troll, but the locals are already trolling the fan base. I see there's a rumor circulating that Gable isn't going to qualify academically. Now that would be hilarious.

Anderson is a 184 and wrestled there for the next 3 duals after Steveson got injured against Illinois. Krone who is a 174 filled in at 197 for those 3 meets. For the Iowa dual, Eggum swapped them and Krone went 184 the rest of the way, pushing Anderson up to 197.

Apparently I’m trolling with facts.

Remember that Stoll spent the majority of the year going slow and not taxing his knee due to rehab. He gets to focus on technique drilling and strengthening more than his knee rehab. I watched him all summer working on that knee. This year will be different level of progress since ther was no step backwards. I think Stoll has got this one covered.

Remember that Stoll spent the majority of the year going slow and not taxing his knee due to rehab. He gets to focus on technique drilling and strengthening more than his knee rehab. I watched him all summer working on that knee. This year will be different level of progress since ther was no step backwards. I think Stoll has got this one covered.
I know one thing Sam has covered:

The buffet line. Kid is HUGE.

Here is how I have it:
1 Steveson
2. Dhesi
3. Sam
4. NN
5. Hermida
6. Kollin Moore

Good point. Gable is a beast though. A bigger version of Spenca Lee!

Anderson is a 184 and wrestled there for the next 3 duals after Steveson got injured against Illinois. Krone who is a 174 filled in at 197 for those 3 meets. For the Iowa dual, Eggum swapped them and Krone went 184 the rest of the way, pushing Anderson up to 197.

Apparently I’m trolling with facts.
I'm talking about the best option at 197. You know, the best chance to win. Guys wrestle up a weight all the time depending on circumstances. Being a 184 doesn't change the fact that Anderson> Steveson.

How's that for trolling with facts?

Reactions: el dub and Gobblin
Even though the last 4 of 5 duals were wrestled by Dylan Anderson, and the 5th did NOT go to Steveson. Also, Anderson is ranked in the 60's, while Steveson is ranked in the 100's.

So unless Steveson was injured for those last duals, it would seem that Steveson is NOT the best 197'er on the team.

https://www.wrestlestat.com/team/42/minnesota/profile

25'-Champ
33'- 1-2
41'- Rd 12
49'- AA
57'- Finalist
65' - 3rd
74'- 2-2
84'- Rd 12
97'- AA
Hwt- Finalist

We only have a shot of beating PsU if: 1) Marinelli scores more team points then Joseph. 2) Warner outscores Raseed and 3) If we find a way to get about 20 team points from 133,174 and 184

Reactions: Pat_Pendleton
Even though the last 4 of 5 duals were wrestled by Dylan Anderson, and the 5th did NOT go to Steveson. Also, Anderson is ranked in the 60's, while Steveson is ranked in the 100's.

So unless Steveson was injured for those last duals, it would seem that Steveson is NOT the best 197'er on the team.

https://www.wrestlestat.com/team/42/minnesota/profile
Supposedly the official statement was that he was injured. In truth, Eggum probably realized his confidence is shot and there was no point in throwing him out there.

Minnesota is like most schools not named PSU...there's not much room to have quality depth with scholly limitations. I realize the bind Eggum is in when your designated guy is a flop.

Reactions: el dub
I do think Anderson has more potential, but clearly must get bigger to be competitive at 197. Eggum put Krone at 184 because it was the best shot at getting 1 qualifier across 2 weights, and it worked out.

He is between 250-260 from what I hear

Is he really that big? Eyeball test I would've said 230ish. He obviously looks to be really good right away, I was just hopeful that Stoll could lock up with him and have a significant weight advantage.

Heard it from a reliable source that Snyder and Stevenson went 10-6 in a match at the Training Center.

How big is Stevenssen? Is he over 250? I think he's an all world talent and obviously special but some HS kid (granted another stud) just took him to the limits at the end of the season. He's stepping up a level and Stoll is a big dude. Is there a Snyder/Coon size difference comparison? I mean our guy S.F. Lee didn't go undefeated and he was wrestling guys his own size (well at least closer). Even if Stevenssen is a full 285, I'd be surprised if he just walked through a season against upper classman at the college level.
some high school kid who is a world champion....

If Snyder took him down 5 times and let him up, and gave Stevenson a 1 point escape to start a period, that would be 10-6, right? Assuming Snyder went neutral.

Reactions: el dub
I think those predicting Stevesen to leap the field next year are jumping the gun quite a bit.. He's an elite recruit no doubt, but lets let him wrestle D1 before we crown him. Heavyweight is different animal and he's not coming in a just walking through the likes of Stoll or Nevills.

I think those predicting Stevesen to leap the field next year are jumping the gun quite a bit.. He's an elite recruit no doubt, but lets let him wrestle D1 before we crown him. Heavyweight is different animal and he's not coming in a just walking through the likes of Stoll or Nevills.
He is every bit as elite as Spencer Lee. Still and Nevills are not NATO/Cruz/Suriano.

I think the matches will be closer in score than Lee’s but GS is the favorite as soon as he decides to wrestle.

He is every bit as elite as Spencer Lee. Still and Nevills are not NATO/Cruz/Suriano.

I think the matches will be closer in score than Lee’s but GS is the favorite as soon as he decides to wrestle.
Agreed world champ as a cadet in the Junior bracket. Dominated a guy who was in the bloodround this year before getting hurt in Jordan Wood.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT