ADVERTISEMENT

Sam Stoll accidentally shot

If he can go, I hope his walkout music is actually dialogue from Tombstone.

giphy.gif

So the only thing I have seen naming Turk is some guy commenting on every Facebook post that it was turk.. For what it's worth the guy is from Pennsylvania and doesn't appear to have any connection to the program.. At this point as far as I'm concerned nothing but false rumors

You talking about Fat Pat Mineo and his snaggle toothed wife? Sam's gonna be good to go. I feel sorry for the bullet.

Yes...was on a thread right now that Pat started but some other PSU fan has so far claimed:

1. Iowa is one of the strictest gun law states in the U.S.
2. All scholly athletes live in campus housing
3. Had Tom coming over to their house like the Wolf in Pulp Fiction
4. Guys should have let their buddy bleed and called the cops first. They were trying to sneak one by even though if you watch TV, you know hospitals automatically call the cops for gunshot wounds. Also, crime scene integrity must be kept! This, considering the hospital is like 1/2 miles away

I'm sure I missed something...homie was on a roll. Really, most of it was this guy getting a huge boner at the thought of Iowa being in trouble.

On the other hand, for all we know it's a career ending injury. So I'm not ready to laugh this off.

Let's all hope not. That said Spencer has shown you can dominate with 1 1/2 knees. Stoll, Nevills and Gable were early favorites. Now at least Stoll vs Nevills is in some don't. There are whispers, rumors, speciation that Nevills might retire and finished Nationals with a serious injury. Hence some of the Cassar to Hwt talk. Personally I would have liked to see both Stoll and Nevills go up against Gable to guage all of the hype, not to mention them going head to head 2-3 times. At least an early discharge from the hospital is a positive development.

Yes...was on a thread right now that Pat started but some other PSU fan has so far claimed:

1. Iowa is one of the strictest gun law states in the U.S.
2. All scholly athletes live in campus housing
3. Had Tom coming over to their house like the Wolf in Pulp Fiction
4. Guys should have let their buddy bleed and called the cops first. They were trying to sneak one by even though if you watch TV, you know hospitals automatically call the cops for gunshot wounds. Also, crime scene integrity must be kept! This, considering the hospital is like 1/2 miles away

I'm sure I missed something...homie was on a roll. Really, most of it was this guy getting a huge boner at the thought of Iowa being in trouble.
Man, thats rich. Iowa one of the strictest gun law states? Whats his qualifier there? Having any kind of gun control measure?

This thread is very confusing. Although Ham says he hasn’t been released, other much better sources say he was released after a few hours. If this is true, it was very likely not a career ending injury. I thought I read that he is expected to make a full recovery after rehab. Sam is a board favorite and has a great sense of humor himself. If the injury were life threatening or extremely serious, making light of the situation or making jokes about it would be inappropriate. As is, we all wish Sammy a full recovery for his life first and secondly for the team. Some of the humor was excellent, others marginal. Some were extremely witty, so props to them for making me laugh.

I really like Sam and am happy he will be ok. With some luck he will compete this year.
Last year our team was not so lucky...a senior on our team was at a party and an accidental gun discharge happened-- he was shot in the head and died immediately. This problem could have been a lot worse.

way more worried about sam than what we place next year, but mr. you guys are below me said hope you are happy with your 4th place finish. i think that's what he was trying to say seemed drunk to me.anyway hope sammy is ok(a true insider might actually let us know) and lighten up francis.1 more thing dang if we are not approved of by you 2 stay away you won't be missed.

The cookie comments were a running gag based on a Mudflap post. I'm not aware of anyone making fun of his weight. The whole board has been 100% behind Sam from the start.
I do remember Sam being called out by other teams saying he needs to wear a bra when he wrestles. Having sassy double D cups striking you in the face in a normal world would be a dream!

Reactions: lookleft goright
Hope Sam is well. That is first priority.

Even if a superficial wound this sets Sam back at least 2-3 months minimum. These elite guys do not stop training and now Sam has to sit again to heal while the competition gets better. Sam seems snake bitten with that knee. Hope he gets well soon and is able to make up the difference come March.

Reactions: artradley
Hope Sam is well. That is first priority.

Even if a superficial wound this sets Sam back at least 2-3 months minimum. These elite guys do not stop training and now Sam has to sit again to heal while the competition gets better. Sam seems snake bitten with that knee. Hope he gets well soon and is able to make up the difference come March.
What makes it worse is this will be the second set back since nationals. He missed a few weeks not long ago.
Can we agree that anyone who gets a call from the cops about their family being in a car accident post it on here so we can get a good laugh about it? I am always up for some crash Davis jokes. It would have been totally different if everyone waited until knowing the extent of the injury.

What makes it worse is this will be the second set back since nationals. He missed a few weeks not long ago.
Can we agree that anyone who gets a call from the cops about their family being in a car accident post it on here so we can get a good laugh about it? I am always up for some crash Davis jokes. It would have been totally different if everyone waited until knowing the extent of the injury.
My family and I were in a car accident a few months ago. Lady came out of no where and side swiped us. Car was totaled but no life threatening injuries. I had my daughter and two of her friends in the back seat on our way to her birthday meal at a Japanese hibachi restaurant. They were shaken up (hysteric to be more accurate) but recovered enough to enjoy the sleepover after the 3-block walk back to the house (most car accidents occur within 1 mile of a person's residence). The hardest part was fighting my way out of the vehicle with all the air bags deployed. I was in shock so I didn't start hurting immediately, but I've been seeing a chiropractor and my primary care doctor for the past 5 months. Let me know if anyone needs more details formulate some good jokes.

Seriously though, I understand where you're coming from. The jokes will only be funny if Sam fully recovers and is able to capitalize on his senior year goals.

I wonder if there was alcohol involved? What time was it like 3am or something? In some states not sure if Iowa is one but if you have a loaded firearm while drinking that can be a crime in itself.

That's why I don't post much. Although this board made major redemption with the fundraising and being a huge part of getting Perry here. Getting Perry here was a big part in getting Kennedy. I wish the board would be more about helping the cause. It is bad when some Hawk fans say stuff that make members of the team or their families strongly dislike them. We should all be in this together. The same for the idiot with the Wilke comment. Wilke fought through some health issues the last half of the year. Why take anonymous shots at him? This place should be better than that.
If making a joke that Wilcke is hesitant to shoot is taking a major shot at him and makes me an "idiot" ... then I really do question your sense of humor -- and overall emotional stability to a certain extent.

And BTW, I donate my fair share ... but I just didn't make the cut for the self-appointed cheer squad around here that has an obligation to discount any criticism and advertise every accomplishment in order to satisfy some strange sense of higher purpose or need to belong. Hey, maybe I'm just not passionate enough to come up with mass efforts to get everyone to sing and stomp along to Spencer's walkout song. LOL, some of you guys are too funny.

If making a joke that Wilcke is hesitant to shoot is taking a major shot at him and makes me an "idiot" ... then I really do question your sense of humor -- and overall emotional stability to a certain extent.

And BTW, I donate my fair share ... but I just didn't make the cut for the self-appointed cheer squad around here that has an obligation to discount any criticism and advertise every accomplishment in order to satisfy some strange sense of higher purpose or need to belong. Hey, maybe I'm just not passionate enough to come up with mass efforts to get everyone to sing and stomp along to Spencer's walkout song. LOL, some of you guys are too funny.

Agreed with your post until you had to throw a dig at Spencer's walkout song. How dare you sir!? ;)

There will be more details yet to come. We don't know if there was booze involved, a prank gone bad or just someone that clearly doesn't know how to handle a firearm.

Big Sam and others who may have been In that room were fortunate this was all that happened, that is for certain.

That said, Big Sam has a pretty good sense of humor, and I would gather the first time he hits the practice room his teammates will likely let him know they are happy he is alive, and shortly thereafter they will start in on him with the jokes. Guarantee it. My guess is if the tables were turned, Big Sam would be the first in line. I'll go even further and suggest he'll have some pretty good comebacks of his own. That seems to be who he is, and that's a good thing.

So if you're sanctimonious about such a thing, make sure you're in the room to let his teammates and Big Sam know it's not cool, and they shouldn't sink to the level of an Iowa Fan. Fan's who come from all walks of life, and whom none are exempt from "shit happens" moments.

It was more about combining it with the Stoll jokes. 184 is clearly the ice cream cone weight this year until Cash or Bowman do something to change it. Sorry I called you an idiot.

Well that’s kind of just it...we are getting conflicting reports that he is fine and released and then that he’s not released and we don’t really know for sure...or some do know but aren’t willing to share and rather just call others dbags and such...so it’s safe to say this is an odd situation for sure....and a clusterF$&@ of a thread ta boot.

Well that’s kind of just it...we are getting conflicting reports that he is fine and released and then that he’s not released and we don’t really know for sure...or some do know but aren’t willing to share and rather just call others dbags and such...so it’s safe to say this is an odd situation for sure....and a clusterF$&@ of a thread ta boot.
The first post here was 6 hours after it happened. When I saw it posted later in the day, the first time for me seeing anything about it, the first place I looked was Hawkcentral, and they clearly stated it was not life threatening, and certainly implied he was treated and released (we have no one here by that name when contacted by the Press Citizen).

Now I don't know the letter of the law, but it was pretty clear in my feeble mind he was admitted (police were notified at 4:37 A.M while Stoll was being treated at U of I Hospitals) and treated and released.

Reactions: pacnorthhawkeye
ANOTHER reason I hate guns! [angry face] So many bad things can, and do, happen.

Cry me a river. You obviously know NOTHING about guns and haven't been around them. I attended the state trap shooting event a couple weeks ago where my son participated. Might have been 800 kids, each shot 200 rounds. 160,000 shots were fired by KIDS aging from probably 7-13. Thousands in attendance, not one person there was in danger or felt endangered.

If Turk is at the golf outing, someone please go up to him and ask, "Hey Turk, what do you think you will shoot today?"....pause briefly, then say, "80, 90.....285?"

As far as I'm aware, the only source claiming it was Turk is a PSU troll on facebook.

Might've been Turk, but also might just be a PSU troll stirring the pot.

Reactions: Chuck C and Dagboi
Cry me a river. You obviously know NOTHING about guns and haven't been around them. I attended the state trap shooting event a couple weeks ago where my son participated. Might have been 800 kids, each shot 200 rounds. 160,000 shots were fired by KIDS aging from probably 7-13. Thousands in attendance, not one person there was in danger or felt endangered.

and yet 1 adult happened to shoot Stoll yesterday morning. So maybe it's not Mendoza who doesn't know anything about guns.

Wow, what a thread. "Too soon to make a joke?" PC battle going on and the gun debate is taking place right here in this one thread, surprised we haven't had someone try and label this a school shooting and really get $h^t amped up.

I certainly can't prevent anyone from sharing their thoughts on whatever subject they want, just like you can't stop me, but one of the reasons I come on this board is for fun discussions about the greatest sport in the world which we all love, and the other is to get updates, thoughts and opinions on what's going on in the wrestling world.

One thing we have not gotten is an update on Sam's condition, which I am not happy about. This type of incident can cause a lot of damage to a program and I would hope Sam, TNT and the University are as transparent as possible and provide timely reports of what happened and what's going on.

Whatever happened, Iowa Wrestling should be very thankful it wasn't worse. A few degrees difference in the angle of the barrel might be the difference between a knee followed by some lighthearted joking, and a much more serious situation that would have cast a cloud over our sport and our team for years to come, and that's no joke.

Last edited:
I'm all for making light of a situation but I do get where hamandeggs is coming from. He appears to be close to Sam and no one seems to know the extent of the injury yet. It is one thing to make jokes after it is announced he is fine, no affect on his senior year, but in this case we don't know the extent as of yet. I bet if it comes out that it is not life threatening (already reported) but is a serious injury that will affect his senior year, then the jokes look less appropriate. I'm not offended by the jokes, but did feel like they were flying fast for not knowing the extent of the injury.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT