ADVERTISEMENT

Samantha Bee Calls Ivanka Trump a C***

Once again, I don't think you understand what a comedian is.
Yes, I know exactly what a comedian is. I also know when I see a deflection and a double standard. If you're providing Bee a comedian pass for saying "Ivanka is a feckless cvnt", then don't be surprised if you are called a hypocrite when you criticize another comedienne for using insults that offend you.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Being a comedian isn t any real cover or excuse for being intentionally insensitive and cruel. She didn't use cvnt just to be funny.
Oh, I don’t think she was going for funny- I think she was sincerely outraged with what’s going on at the border. Ivanka goes around blabbin about being a advocate for women while her father and sessions brag about tearing families apart. If you’re not outraged you’re not paying attention.

The President is calling Africa a shithole country (I can't tell you how many things there are wrong with that statement), yet you're expecting comedians to be the ones to clean it up?
I'm not expecting anyone to do anything. I'm simply calling out when people choosing to use insults and poor language is probably not the best route to go. But they can certainly go ahead and do whatever they want to do. The president has made it clear that you can say anything and it's okay.

Oh, I don’t think she was going for funny- I think she was sincerely outraged with what’s going on at the border. Ivanka goes around blabbin about being a advocate for women while her father and sessions brag about tearing families apart. If you’re not outraged you’re not paying attention.
So if she wasn't doing it in a comedic fashion, then it's entirely possible that her comments were offencive and unnecessary. I realize what her point is. Or at least I think I do. That's why her choice of language wasn't effective.

Yes, I know exactly what a comedian is. I also know when I see a deflection and a double standard. If you're providing Bee a comedian pass for saying "Ivanka is a feckless cvnt", then don't be surprised if you are called a hypocrite when you criticize another comedienne for using insults that offemd you.
Pretty sure Roseanne wasn't doing a bit in her rant. I'm also pretty sure that comparing black people to apes went out of style with Bob Hope.

Pretty sure Roseanne wasn't doing a bit in her rant. I'm also pretty sure that comparing black people to apes went out of style with Bob Hope.
And Samanthas choice of words was also inappropriate. Why can't you just say that and acknowledge it? Why is it necessary to bring up some other inappropriate thing that someone else said that you didn't like?

Reactions: Pepperman
And Samanthas choice of words was also inappropriate. Why can't you just say that and acknowledge it? Why is it necessary to bring up some other inappropriate thing that someone else said that you didn't like?
A comedians job is to be inappropriate. What you're not getting is that being inappropriate is not the same as calling black people monkeys and claiming with a straight face that a 13 year old was rounding up Jews to be marched off to the ovens.

Ivanka goes around blabbin about being a advocate for women while her father and sessions brag about tearing families apart. If you’re not outraged you’re not paying attention.
The problem is that those paying attention to Bee aren't talking about that. Her outrage - if it actually exists - has been completely buried. Nobody even cares what she was referencing - all they can talk about is her choice of words. She's become the story rather than the policy.

The problem is that those paying attention to Bee aren't talking about that. Her outrage - if it actually exists - has been completely buried. Nobody even cares what she was referencing - all they can talk about is her choice of words. She's become the story rather than the policy.
Maybe that was her goal.

A comedians job is to be inappropriate. What you're not getting is that being inappropriate is not the same as calling black people monkeys and claiming with a straight face that a 13 year old was rounding up Jews to be marched off to the ovens.
I'm getting just how far you will go to play "My side is always right, and your side is always wrong."

A comedian's job is to make people laugh. You can make people laugh by saying all kinds of things, and HOW you say it matters as well. Some comedians are able to make people think deeper while they're laughing. Calling someone a feckless cvnt, with the sole intent to be hurtful and insulting, isn't funny. You can keep defending one and criticizing the other, and you can remain as partisan as you like. You're most comfortable playing Left vs. Right all day, every day.

And, don't you think that is due, in part, to her choice of language? You can be much more effective about your point if you leave out insults and pejoratives. Or, at least that is what I've been lead to believe.

Now the WH is making official statements about the mean word said about the senior WH aide.

What really gets me about this is Trump has established name calling is okay. He does it. But apparently they want there to be a line where a certain name is too mean. Or maybe, they are just dishonest in their victimhood.

I can promise you this; Believing that "my side is always right and their side is always wrong" is exactly what results in innocent people getting shoved into gas chambers.

It's possible...if her goal was to divert attention from Trump's policy to her. If that's the case, I would consider that far worse behavior than her use of the language she chose.
While her language was inappropriate, it wasn't racially based.

Again, it's up to her network to decide her employment fate. I'm ok with that.

Reactions: Tunadog
I'm getting just how far you will go to play "My side is always right, and your side is always wrong."

A comedian's job is to make people laugh. You can make people laugh by saying all kinds of things, and HOW you say it matters as well. Some comedians are able to make people think deeper while they're laughing. Calling someone a feckless cvnt, with the sole intent to be hurtful and insulting, isn't funny. You can keep defending one and criticizing the other, and you can remain as partisan as you like. You're most comfortable playing Left vs. Right all day, every day.
Please take the time to actually watch the clip. Not only does Bee craft a deeper message, which for some reason you completely ignore, her intent was to get Ivanka to get off her ass to get her dad to do something about immigration, instead of just calling her names, which seems to be all you want to focus on. So you are completely off base on at least two of your main points in your above post.

Reactions: BelemNole
I can promise you this; Believing that "my side is always right and their side is always wrong" is exactly what results in innocent people getting shoved into gas chambers.
This is such a red herring argument it's not even funny.

So Trump can disparage an American hero, John McCain. He can admit to sexual assault on camera. He can make rascist statements about an American judge with Mexican heritage. He can make creepy incestuous comments about his daughter and his supporters complain about Samantha Bee.

So Trump can disparage an American hero, John McCain. He can admit to sexual assault on camera. He can make rascist statements about an American judge with Mexican heritage. He can make creepy incestuous comments about his daughter and his supporters complain about Samantha Bee.

"Mexican" isn't a race.

Every time you people do that it makes you look ignorant.

Those that actually watch bee don’t care about what she called Ivanka as they are familiar with her show. Those that don’t watch her might now. Trump has proven that all publicly is good publicity.

And, don't you think that is due, in part, to her choice of language? You can be much more effective about your point if you leave out insults and pejoratives. Or, at least that is what I've been lead to believe.
Not sure you get how comedy works. Without colorful language, colorful imagery, or at least some sort of element of absurdity, a joke is no longer a joke. It's just an unfunny observation.

While her language was inappropriate, it wasn't racially based.

Again, it's up to her network to decide her employment fate. I'm ok with that.
I'm not conflating her with Roseanne. There is no comparison. I'm just pointing out that her message has been totally buried by her delivery. Contrasted against her boss's policy, that picture of Ivanka holding her baby was ripe and Bee completely missed the mark...to mix metaphors.

Reactions: strummingram
Not sure you get how comedy works. Without colorful language, colorful imagery, or at least some sort of element of absurdity, a joke is no longer a joke. It's just an unfunny observation.
You keep defending one and criticizing the other. That's what you do best. I always appreciate your contribution to the problem, while insisting you're the remedy.

Attacking someone with a sex-based slur < attacking someone with a race-based slur?

Good to know....
What do you think evokes a stronger emotion? Calling someone an a**hole or dropping the n bomb?

Comparing someone to an ape is worse than calling someone a cu**. Again, both are very inappropriate and like I have said it is up to the network that employs her to decide her fate. If they terminate her, I wouldn't argue it one bit.

Is calling a woman a c*** worse than calling a man an a**hole? I guess everybody has a**holes...so not the same, huh? I think I'd rather be called a c***. Then I could respond, "You are what you eat." Can't do that if they play the "a**hole" card.

Just musing.
Well shit both apply to me.

ADVERTISEMENT