ADVERTISEMENT

Same old Nebraska

Excited Season 4 GIF by The Office

That game had everything

-Porous black skirt defense
-bone headed penalties
-Inept clutch QB play
-Missed FG 😂

To top it off they will blame this on big ten officials. Football season is officially back baby.

Not to mention it was actually entertaining for a Friday night game.

When was the last time Nebber beat a Top 25 opponent? Guy at work swore the other day that it’s really happened, although he couldn’t remember when exactly either.

Little Debbie, the official snack cake of the B1G.

Check out these crazy stats from last night:

* Little Debbie (3-1, 0-1) has dropped 25 straight games to Top 25 teams since 2016. That's the second-longest active streak among current power-conference teams, trailing Rutgers' 40 straight.

* Little Debbie is 8-31 (.205) in one-possession games since 2018.

* Little Debbie was celebrating their made up 400th consecutive sellout at Memorial Stadium.

* Little Debbie has lost to Illinois 3 straight times in Lincoln

* The "Black Shirts:" In OT, Illinois got the ball first & scored a TD in 2 plays to take a 7-point lead. And when Little Debbie got the ball? Their OT possession was a disaster as Mahomes Jr was sacked 3 times, including on 4th down to end the game.

Team largely remains the same except some boost from Raiola.

Special Teams, bonehead penalties, loose balls looked like a mirror from the past 8 teams.

Opposing teams now know if you pressure right, he can get flustered.

Raiola’s WAR (wins above replacement) is probably around 2 or 3, which puts Deborah at 6 or 7 wins.

The QB is legit. He barely missed the TE in the endzone, which the TE was a 4th string….so prob makes sense their timing was off

Then their replacement kicker hooked the game winning FG

Not making excuses, cause NE still had like 6 personal fouls which were killer and they seem to always lack discipline

Hats off to both teams for playing an entertaining game. When was last time Iowa was fun to watch ?

The QB is legit. He barely missed the TE in the endzone, which the TE was a 4th string….so prob makes sense their timing was off

Not making excuses, cause NE still had like 6 personal fouls which were killer and they seem to always lack discipline

Hats off to both teams for playing an entertaining game. When was last time Iowa was fun to watch ?
So, basically same as it ever was..

Couldn’t have come at a better time. Nebraska fans were gettin cocky again.
It’s hard to win in the Big Ten.

Both Illinois and Nebraska seem legitimately good to me.

The difference last night was Nebraska is still stupid and undisciplined. New coach, same culture. Until Nebraska fixes the dumb shit they do on the field that costs them games, nothing is going to change. How many personal fouls did they have last night? And wasn’t there an obvious face mask the officials missed?

It’s just amazing that regardless of the year Nebraska can’t get their shit together.

The difference last night was Nebraska is still stupid and undisciplined. New coach, same culture. Until Nebraska fixes the dumb shit they do on the field that costs them games, nothing is going to change. How many personal fouls did they have last night? And wasn’t there an obvious face mask the officials missed?

It’s just amazing that regardless of the year Nebraska can’t get their shit together.
Yes, many people on here noted in the game thread about the facemask which occurred on the failed Illini 4th down at about the Nebby 35 yard line. If that penalty is called the Illini have the ball 1st and 10 at the Nebby 20, with only about 2 minutes to go in a tied ball game. There was a very good chance Nebby loses in regulation.

And as you say, the missed facemask call along with the personal fouls probably added up to 100 yards of penalties which means a capital L for Loser for Nebbyy

Seeing Altmeyer back there for Illinois makes me think of what Iowa could have with sully at the helm. That is certainly a solid offense. With that said, Nebraska blows.

Reactions: acuhawk

There are 3 things in this life that you can always count on. Death, shitty Iowa offenses, and Nebraska finding new and creative ways to embarrass themselves and their fans.

Here's the thing that stands out to me among the many points already mentioned:

In OT, rather than play basic defense, Illinois sent the house on every down, which resulted in a 3rd and 42. And then Nebraska was sacked AGAIN on 4th down. THAT'S how you do that. You don't sit back and let the QB comfortably toss the ball to wide open receivers to, in Iowa's case, set up a game-winning FG. I mean, Iowa State had 30 seconds to work with and ZERO time outs. What the hell was Phil thinking?

Parker's great and all that, but his refusal to blitz in key situations has cost Iowa dearly at the ends of games over and over and over again. Sure, if the offense did its part, the D wouldn't be in those situations all the time. But Phil keeps stickin' around despite the offensive failures, so where's the blitz? No QB--NONE--is any good when you put the pressure on like Illinois did in OT last night. If Phil had done that vs. ISU, Iowa wins despite KF's foolishness on offense.

Very entertaining game. Felt both teams played well during the game up until the end for Nebraska and the usual dirty plays by Nebraska.
Refs were pretty good and consistent I felt. Nebraska's defense was falling apart in the end though. I was surprised how Raiola was rattled in the overtime. Just fell apart compared to most of the game. He is a very good QB and will only get better IMO.
Illinois blitzing in OT really took him by surprise, I think.

Reactions: amahawk

In OT, rather than play basic defense, Illinois sent the house on every down, which resulted in a 3rd and 42. And then Nebraska was sacked AGAIN on 4th down. THAT'S how you do that. You don't sit back and let the QB comfortably toss the ball to wide open receivers to, in Iowa's case, set up a game-winning FG. I mean, Iowa State had 30 seconds to work with and ZERO time outs. What the hell was Phil thinking?

Parker's great and all that, but his refusal to blitz in key situations has cost Iowa dearly at the ends of games over and over and over again. Sure, if the offense did its part, the D wouldn't be in those situations all the time. But Phil keeps stickin' around despite the offensive failures, so where's the blitz? No QB--NONE--is any good when you put the pressure on like Illinois did in OT last night. If Phil had done that vs. ISU, Iowa wins despite KF's foolishness on offense.
Agreed. Please take notes, Phil.

Reactions: amahawk

plus someone told me this stat--in the first half Graves had 3 sacks--in the second half he did not play a third down...if true..........

Yes, many people on here noted in the game thread about the facemask which occurred on the failed Illini 4th down at about the Nebby 35 yard line. If that penalty is called the Illini have the ball 1st and 10 at the Nebby 20, with only about 2 minutes to go in a tied ball game. There was a very good chance Nebby loses in regulation.

And as you say, the missed facemask call along with the personal fouls probably added up to 100 yards of penalties which means a capital L for Loser for Nebbyy
The missed facemask was near the end of the first half, but the point still stands, that probably cost Illinois at least a FG, then with the time remaining, Nebraska drove down and scored a TD, which might not have happened if Illinois holds onto the ball a little longer.

KFz's philosophy has always been wait for your opponent to make a mistake as opposed to force your opponent into a mistake...both on offense and defense.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
When was the last time Nebber beat a Top 25 opponent? Guy at work swore the other day that it’s really happened, although he couldn’t remember when exactly either.
Nebraska has lost 25 games in a row to top 25 ranked teams. 😉

Every Iowa win is fun to watch!

I can never understand Nebraska fans (or any fanbase) that complains that the # of penalties aren’t “even” at the end of a game. That doesn’t make sense…some teams just commit more penalties than their opponents do.

There are 3 things in this life that you can always count on. Death, shitty Iowa offenses, and Nebraska finding new and creative ways to embarrass themselves and their fans.
You must be young, cuz b4 Brian Ferentz era, Iowa had decent offenses.

Nebby lost last night but they're definitely improved under Rhule and will continue to improve. Raiola is a real QB.

That said, is there a more douchebag move than this. I hate it.

i

Second half of last week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT