ADVERTISEMENT

San Diego Iowa Club Here!

Dec 8, 2019
Hi All! San Diego Iowa Club president here. Apologies for starting a new thread, but I figured it made more sense than commenting in multiple threads. We're stoked to FINALLY have Iowa come here for the Holiday Bowl. If anyone has any questions or concerns please post here - I'm happy to answer anything I can.

Hi All! San Diego Iowa Club president here. Apologies for starting a new thread, but I figured it made more sense than commenting in multiple threads. We're stoked to FINALLY have Iowa come here for the Holiday Bowl. If anyone has any questions or concerns please post here - I'm happy to answer anything I can.

Is there enough Busch Light in San Diego? :)

Busch Light can be hard to find here in SD unfortunately. Our game watch bar, the PB AleHouse, thankfully has buckets for us on game days. I was at the Holiday Bowl announcement event this afternoon and got to talking to one of the Red Coats about the last time we were here for the Holiday Bowl. Apparently we drank all the bars out of beer back then too.

Based on your experience with the Holiday Bowl, what is the best way to get tickets? They seem reasonable on line, but will the prices go down leading up to game day? Scalp?

Busch Light can be hard to find here in SD unfortunately. Our game watch bar, the PB AleHouse, thankfully has buckets for us on game days. I was at the Holiday Bowl announcement event this afternoon and got to talking to one of the Red Coats about the last time we were here for the Holiday Bowl. Apparently we drank all the bars out of beer back then too.

Love the PB Ale House, Mission, Rubicon, and Phil's. Need some help with good stops near Seaport and Embarcadero.

Been a few years since I have been to the PB ale house! Can’t wait to be back.

Hotel and restaurant recommendations!

I would stay around gaslamp/marina/little italy. You can take the trolley to the game.

Little Italy has the best food (1 mile from gaslamp) - Barbusa or Civico for italian, Ironside for Seafood, Crack Shake or Underbelly for something more casual.

Go to Old Town (5 miles from gaslamp) for Mexican Food.

Stumble over to lalitas to get a California Burrito in east village.

Other favorites: OB Noodle House, Searsucker, Working Class

Reactions: TouchdownMyPants
What is it like to live in warm weather year round?
Have you ever shoveled snow? If yes, when was the last time?
Can I live in your basement next winter?

I would love to visit SD some day. Also, wouldn't mind avoiding upper Midwest winters.

Reactions: hawkeyecuz
Love PB Alehouse. I watched the Iowa-Michigan State Big Championship game there in 2015 when I was on vacation there. Awesome place and staff. Pretty sure I drank Kona that day.

Reactions: Herkystwin2

I would love to visit SD some day. Also, wouldn't mind avoiding upper Midwest winters.

I grew up in Iowa and moved to SD after college.

What is it like to live in warm weather year round? You start wearing winter jackets when it is 60.
Have you ever shoveled snow? If yes, when was the last time? college
Can I live in your basement next winter? No basements in CA ;)

Reactions: gr82baspartan
I grew up in Iowa and moved to SD after college.

What is it like to live in warm weather year round? You start wearing winter jackets when it is 60.
Have you ever shoveled snow? If yes, when was the last time? college
Can I live in your basement next winter? No basements in CA ;)
I guess a body adapts to the environment it inhabits.
I shoveled snow at 5am this morning - the radio said the temp was 11 but actually -4 hanks to a 17mph WCF. I was cussing as I stepped outside... then I thought of all those Canadians a couple hundred miles north of me and decided that I shouldn't really complain.... I mean it was cold but not that cold.

Masters-Tshirt.ashx

Reactions: kceasthawk and nu2u
I would stay around gaslamp/marina/little italy. You can take the trolley to the game.

Little Italy has the best food (1 mile from gaslamp) - Barbusa or Civico for italian, Ironside for Seafood, Crack Shake or Underbelly for something more casual.

Go to Old Town (5 miles from gaslamp) for Mexican Food.

Stumble over to lalitas to get a California Burrito in east village.

Other favorites: OB Noodle House, Searsucker, Working Class
If you are more mobile (or willing to pay for the Uber) and want a fantastic breakfast/brunch spot, head up to The Cottage in La Jolla. Stuffed French Toast is amazing...and they have the best baked granola you will ever eat. So good in fact, that Doodle and Mrs. D have been having it shipped to Minnesota several times a year for the past 10 years. For those staying in the Gaslamp who don't want to go too far afield, The Broken Yolk is pretty darn good too. Avoid Richard Walkers. Food is good enough, but the wait is always ridiculous. Sorry...Doodle is a breakfast guy.

Oh, and in Old Town, Doodle's and Mrs. D's favorite is Casa Guadalajara, but there are many other good options.

If you are more mobile (or willing to pay for the Uber) and want a fantastic breakfast/brunch spot, head up to The Cottage in La Jolla. Stuffed French Toast is amazing...and they have the best baked granola you will ever eat. So good in fact, that Doodle and Mrs. D have been having it shipped to Minnesota several times a year for the past 10 years. For those staying in the Gaslamp who don't want to go too far afield, The Broken Yolk is pretty darn good too. Avoid Richard Walkers. Food is good enough, but the wait is always ridiculous. Sorry...Doodle is a breakfast guy.

Oh, and in Old Town, Doodle's and Mrs. D's favorite is Casa Guadalajara, but there are many other good options.

New place opened in Gaslamp - Breakfast Republic. very good

Based on your experience with the Holiday Bowl, what is the best way to get tickets? They seem reasonable on line, but will the prices go down leading up to game day? Scalp?

I'm doing a ticket block through the school because we have a group of 37. It will all depend on where you want to sit. Ticketmaster has mostly verified resale tickets right now that are a tad pricey, so I would suggest ordering through hawkeyesports.com. Ticket prices will likely go down leading up to game day, they have in the past.

Hotel and restaurant recommendations!

If you want the full San Diego experience I would stay downtown - there are a ton of options. Both teams will be staying down there, the parade, luncheon and battle of the bands are downtown, and you can take the trolly straight to the stadium. San Diego has a ton of delicious food options. Breakfast Republic, Bootleggers, Craft & Commerce, and Farmer's Table are all delicious and in the downtown area. Little Italy has some awesome food as well. Make sure you get a California burrito if you stop anywhere for Mexican food.

Contrary to popular belief it isn't 75 and sunny all year. It rained this year from about January to May. Though I won't complain when comparing that to below freezing and snow.

Yes I have shoveled snow - most recently this past Halloween in Iowa City.

We have no basements here lol!

San Diego is an awesome city with a TON of Hawk fans. Anytime I'm out wearing black and gold I get a Go Hawks from someone.

Last I heard we had about 2500 alumni out here.

Reactions: nu2u
Where should I get tickets? Plaza level or Club for best view? Is Club level worth the amenities (and what are they?)

Thanks.

Where should I get tickets? Plaza level or Club for best view? Is Club level worth the amenities (and what are they?)

Thanks.

I don't know what amenities are included, if any, with the club level seats. In my experience with charger games, past holiday bowls, and SDSU games, there isn't really a bad seat in the stadium. I prefer being a bit higher up than field level so I can actually see the game. We ended up getting plaza level seats for our ticket block. I’ll reach out to my rep at the school for info on club seat amenities.

Reactions: dreamsincolors
The group I’m traveling with realized that, other than high school homecoming parades, none of us had ever been to a BIG parade like this.
We saw that there are the giant balloons, the marching bands, and floats but is it like Macy’s (Kelly Clarkson be lip-synching on a float??). With a crowd of 100,000...
How crazy is it getting in and out? How long is it? Is it worth sitting in the grand stands? Any other tips?
Thanks!

The group I’m traveling with realized that, other than high school homecoming parades, none of us had ever been to a BIG parade like this.
We saw that there are the giant balloons, the marching bands, and floats but is it like Macy’s (Kelly Clarkson be lip-synching on a float??). With a crowd of 100,000...
How crazy is it getting in and out? How long is it? Is it worth sitting in the grand stands? Any other tips?
Thanks!
I went within a couple blocks of the Rose Parade in ‘91. That’s as close as I wanted to get. I had been drinking until 4 am the night before so that had to be a factor.

Thanks!

The Holiday Bowl parade is actually larger than the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade (crazy, right?). I haven't been to the parade in past years but I did work in one of the buildings right outside the route a few years ago and I was basically surrounded by Badger fans. They weren't amused by my yelling Go Hawks, oops. From what I could tell it wasn't ridiculously crowded, and I think the route is long enough that viewers are spread out. I'll see if I can find a map of the route so it's easier to visualize. The route is right along the water on the outer part of downtown. There are buildings a few blocks away along the entire route that have underground parking as well as public parking lots. Both of those will run you anywhere from $15-40 depending on how much the properties want to mark it up.

There are events throughout that entire day though so if you are staying in downtown I highly suggest walking to them. Uber and the trolley are also great options if you either aren't in the downtown area or are on the other side. All of the events will be held around the same area (those haven't been made public yet I don't believe so I can't post about them just yet). My best guess is getting in and out of downtown won't be terrible since people will be coming and going all day. My advice if you are going just to the parade is to go down early, grab parking and lunch, watch the parade, and then hang out around the area for a while. Pop into a bar and grab a drink afterwards and let the crowd die down a bit.

We have a couple options for hotels, any recommendations on location and hotel:
Residence Inn - Downtown/Gaslamp, 6th Ave
Residence Inn or Springhill Suites - Downtown/Bayfront on Bayfront Court
Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina - 1380 Harbor Island Drive, near airport I think

Thanks!

We have a couple options for hotels, any recommendations on location and hotel:
Residence Inn - Downtown/Gaslamp, 6th Ave
Residence Inn or Springhill Suites - Downtown/Bayfront on Bayfront Court
Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina - 1380 Harbor Island Drive, near airport I think

Thanks!

Cant go wrong with first two. walking distance to alot of nightlight and restaurants

Reactions: Hwt1
We are actually staying in Vista/Carlsbad arriving on the 26th and staying until the 29th. We are tentatively planning on coming down into San Diego to do tourist type stuff on the day of the game. USS Midway, etc. If we are planning on being in SD early that morning, what is the best way to get to the game? Is it better to drive to the stadium and park? Or is it better to reserve a spot ahead of time in Gaslamp and take the Trolley or whatever goes to the stadium? Anything in the Carlsbad area that we need to do?

We are actually staying in Vista/Carlsbad arriving on the 26th and staying until the 29th. We are tentatively planning on coming down into San Diego to do tourist type stuff on the day of the game. USS Midway, etc. If we are planning on being in SD early that morning, what is the best way to get to the game? Is it better to drive to the stadium and park? Or is it better to reserve a spot ahead of time in Gaslamp and take the Trolley or whatever goes to the stadium? Anything in the Carlsbad area that we need to do?

Trolley for sure. Very easy

Will your club be having any pub gathering on the 26th or after the game?

Yep! We are hosting a pre game party at our game watch restaurant - the PB AleHouse. Here is the Facebook event page - .

Details are still being finalized. All updates for food and drink specials will be posted there.

Food and drink specials have been added!
$16 Bucket of Busch light
$7 Jager Bombs
$5 Fireball, Jager, and Pacifico
$10 House beer pitchers
Game Day Menu food specials - includes walking tacos, wings, loaded tots, pork tenderloin sandwich
20% off food for those in Iowa gear
DJ

Yep! We are hosting a pre game party at our game watch restaurant - the PB AleHouse. Here is the Facebook event page - .

Details are still being finalized. All updates for food and drink specials will be posted there.
Looks like a cool place. Will they be showing the basketball game on Sunday? ESPN U I think. I know it's Kennasaw St.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT