ADVERTISEMENT

Sanders to ISU

Physically the seating in Kinnick absolutely sucks. Seats are way to narrow, and the angle to the field is horrible. been there several dozen times since the early 60's.
While I agree...I still like how close and on top of the field fans feel at historic Kinnick Stadium.

I don't understand the Sanders decision, but it's his choice. Goodson and Hall pretty much had identical yards per carry, but Hall had the benefit of a better QB, so teams had to respect the passing game. Goodson never had that luxury.

By the time Sanders sees the field... Kolar and PurdyBoy will be gone. I imagine there are other considerations, but we'll know in a few years if this was a loss for the Hawks.

I don't understand the Sanders decision, but it's his choice. Goodson and Hall pretty much had identical yards per carry, but Hall had the benefit of a better QB, so teams had to respect the passing game. Goodson never had that luxury.

By the time Sanders sees the field... Kolar and PurdyBoy will be gone. I imagine there are other considerations, but we'll know in a few years if this was a loss for the Hawks.

Think about this:
Kareem Hunt
David Montgomery
Breece Hall

Nice progression. All found and developed by Coach Matt Campbell. If he wants you as a running back, you’d have to like your odds if you put in the work.

What makes it historic?

Architecture, number of games played, Heisman trophy winner played home games there. #1 ranked teams called it home, numerous consensus all-Americans played there, Multiple Outland troops winners played most of their games there. Multiple Mackey Award winners played their games there, Groza Award winner played home game there, Thorpe award winner played their home games there., 10+ teams that ended the season ranked in the top ten called it home as well.

Do you want more reasons why it is historic? I am sure I keep going it it is really needed.

Now can you post for us all the significant history for the clowns? Be sure to only include when isu was doing something of significance, upsets just mean people didn’t think isu was very good.

Good luck.

There really is no comparison between Iowa City and Ames! I grew up near there and it’s literally nothing but a bunch of rednecks, so if that’s your style(country music, huge loud trucks, chaw and busch light), then yeah, Ames is great!

Reactions: blhawk
Ames campus is nice, Iowa City is better. One cool thing about ames and it’s cancelled... good times at veisha or however you spell it, I don’t remember

Reactions: David1979
I’ve lived in both cities and went to both schools. Iowa City is ten times better than Ames. ISU has some nice things about the campus but I would take Iowa.

• Haha
Reactions: AnyOneButYou
Architecture, number of games played, Heisman trophy winner played home games there. #1 ranked teams called it home, numerous consensus all-Americans played there, Multiple Outland troops winners played most of their games there. Multiple Mackey Award winners played their games there, Groza Award winner played home game there, Thorpe award winner played their home games there., 10+ teams that ended the season ranked in the top ten called it home as well.

Do you want more reasons why it is historic? I am sure I keep going it it is really needed.

Now can you post for us all the significant history for the clowns? Be sure to only include when isu was doing something of significance, upsets just mean people didn’t think isu was very good.

Good luck.

Trice is historic because it blasts annoying music louder than any other stadium that has ever existed.

Think about this:
Kareem Hunt
David Montgomery
Breece Hall

Nice progression. All found and developed by Coach Matt Campbell. If he wants you as a running back, you’d have to like your odds if you put in the work.

I give Campbell credit here. this is a area that Kirk has struggled with since Greene. you even have J. Lehman on the big10 network saying that if he was a talented rb he would go to Iowa or Wisc because of the line and scheme.
Hopefully Goodson can pave the way for move big time recruits. the talent drop off behind Goodson is real. without Goodson the last 2 yrs, how many wins would we have?

Most Iowa fans haven't been on the ISU campus.
Nope, been on both. ISU is a cow pasture with buildings installed and the Soviet style mastery of concrete for their stadium is impressive in the middle of a pasture. Ames is the most boring town of it's size in the midwest.

Reactions: IAGuy
I’ve lived in both cities and went to both schools. Iowa City is ten times better than Ames. ISU has some nice things about the campus but I would take Iowa.

I've been on both several times and I take Iowa's any day.

Let's get the diamond in the rough K Williams then Myslinski and hopefully a Parker special with a db or two. We are already in good shape with this very, very good class but they make it that much better.

ISU can keep that class of theirs...we'll take ours thank you.

I give Campbell credit here. this is a area that Kirk has struggled with since Greene. you even have J. Lehman on the big10 network saying that if he was a talented rb he would go to Iowa or Wisc because of the line and scheme.
Hopefully Goodson can pave the way for move big time recruits. the talent drop off behind Goodson is real. without Goodson the last 2 yrs, how many wins would we have?
Sargent more than held his own. The amount of wins would be very similar if not exactly the same.

Are u f’ing kidding me. I’ve had training classes thru my work at both campuses. Iowa City just has more of a collegiate feel, better restaurants, more bike trails, etc than Lames.
I attended both schools for quite a while in the late '60s. Went to ISU first, transferred to Iowa. Have spent a lot of time at both places in the years since. My first impression of Iowa City was that the UI didn't really have a campus; any place where you pass a gas station or bar between classroom buildings isn't a campus, IMHO. The ISU campus was self-contained, separate from what was commonly called "Big Ames." You walked everywhere ... classes, dorms, greek houses. There were no bars when I started there in '64 because selling alcohol in Campustown was illegal.

Having said that, I can see why others feel differently; they simply have a different view of what a college campus ought to be. As the posts in his thread attest, they're talking about bars, restaurants and bike trails.

It's similar to the disagreement about which has the better tailgating. I have engaged in that at both locations on countless occasions. I love the way it's set up in Ames. Easier to park, easier to meet and find others. But I know people who love Iowa City tailgating because they've set up systems of particular yards where they can vomit (sorry; couldn't write this without taking at least one cheap shot).

Incidentally, one poster here suggested that a lot of Iowa advocates have never visited the ISU campus, and I would support that assumption. A lot of Iowa fans are either completely unfamiliar with ISU or think that the complex with Hilton and Trice are what we're talking about, when in fact, those facilities aren't even on the ISU campus that most of us would describe.

Reactions: David1979
Most Iowa fans haven't been on the ISU campus.
ISU has a nicer campus than Iowa. Iowa City is on a different level than Ames regarding the City itself. Its a much more cultured city and vastly outpaces Ames in the area of restaurants. I actually get to Ames more times per year than Iowa City. Ames has a small town feel. The IC area is now at about 115K population and Ames doesn't have burbs or connecting towns and their population is around 66K. I have been to both football complexes. That is where it isn't even close. Not even by a mile. The Hansen football performance center is much Nicer than the Bergstrom Complex. I was in the Bergstrom this early June along with the a friend of mine and his kid who was visiting for football. I haven't been in the Hansen complex for a few years. Hansen 2 years ago was 10X more impressive than Bergstrom this past June.

Last edited:

I've been there when playing Iowa where the Refs had to warn them about doing that almost up to the snap when Iowa had the ball.

I attended both schools for quite a while in the late '60s. Went to ISU first, transferred to Iowa. Have spent a lot of time at both places in the years since. My first impression of Iowa City was that the UI didn't really have a campus; any place where you pass a gas station or bar between classroom buildings isn't a campus, IMHO. The ISU campus was self-contained, separate from what was commonly called "Big Ames." You walked everywhere ... classes, dorms, greek houses. There were no bars when I started there in '64 because selling alcohol in Campustown was illegal.

Having said that, I can see why others feel differently; they simply have a different view of what a college campus ought to be. As the posts in his thread attest, they're talking about bars, restaurants and bike trails.

It's similar to the disagreement about which has the better tailgating. I have engaged in that at both locations on countless occasions. I love the way it's set up in Ames. Easier to park, easier to meet and find others. But I know people who love Iowa City tailgating because they've set up systems of particular yards where they can vomit (sorry; couldn't write this without taking at least one cheap shot).

Incidentally, one poster here suggested that a lot of Iowa advocates have never visited the ISU campus, and I would support that assumption. A lot of Iowa fans are either completely unfamiliar with ISU or think that the complex with Hilton and Trice are what we're talking about, when in fact, those facilities aren't even on the ISU campus that most of us would describe.

If the criteria is simply based on proximity and the landscaping, then yeah I would say ISU is more picturesque. If you want something where a campus kind of just melds into the town more then Iowa is more like that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT