ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday Drinking Thread: Barrel Strength Bourbons and Ryes

The Reserve Iowa Bourbon is good, their Slipknot got great reviews, I have some Maple that I enjoyed and a Cask Strength that hits the spot.
I went back yesterday and sampled the #9 Reserve. Really seemed smooth. It's 99 proof; 51% corn, 35% malted rye, 14% two-row malted barley. Bought a bottle ($80). Looking forward to cracking it open late this afternoon. Got a big porterhouse we're giving the sous vide/grill treatment.
slipknot-no9-reserve-300x642.png

A long weekend drinking thread.

I am a neat bourbon and rye drinker. Lately, I have bought nothing but barrel strengths. Once you start drinking them, 90 proofs taste like nothing. What are HROT's recommendations for barrel proof bourbons and ryes or those of 100 plus proof?

Currently in my cabinet I have:

Screen_Shot_2019-09-28_at_10.29.55_AM.png

1792-full-proof-2.jpg

EC_BarrelProof_RightFacing_2016.png

12468349992990.png

spirits-knob-creek-single-barrel-reserve-bourbon-9.jpg

Bookers_ShinyBarrelBatch_BottleandBox.jpg

2018042010_bakers_bourbon_7_year_old_original.png

HROT, give me something to add to my collection.

I didn't mention it because at the time I got my bottles a couple of years ago Bulleit only sold barrel/cask strength at the distillery itself. But I see that you can get it now, at least online. I thought it was a good barrel strength product even though I'm not a big fan of their regular line. The Barrel strength is REALLY heavy with vanillins and almost a molasses flavor.

https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/b...n/bulleit-barrel-strength-bourbon/p/171695750

bulleit_bourbon_barrel_strength__46635.1508949907.jpg

I did look up the Maker's Mark White which was also a distillery only product and that's still only available on site, but the George Dickel White is now available apparently. So we're losing some of the distillery only "hidden gems" by having them publicly available.

1538035522.jpg

Dickel-No.-1-2.jpg

Also while looking that up I found this review of Mellow Corn that I completely agree with.

"Mellow Corn

It was suggested to me that I review my favorite corn-based, corn-named, corn-fection on here as my first review, so here we go.

First off this isn't unbiased. It's my favorite, and part of the reason it's my favorite is because it's ****ing ridiculous. This breakfast drink is made by Heaven Hill, aged for 4 years in what I can only assume are former candy corn barrels. This is 100 proof, and it shows.

Nose - smells exactly like name, fun fruity, candy corn, love the nose, v little alcohol smell, sugar, vanilla, grain silo, 8/10

Taste- SO buttered popcorn, very light sweetness (less than expected) hairspray, when gma uses aquanet, 8/10

Finish/final thoughts - Easy to drink short and sweet, obvious it's cheap 6.5/10

Overall:

Seriously, this is the best $13.49 you can spend on whiskey. I love this ^*%*, and I'm planning on making a pilgrimage to Heaven Hill so I can tell them how much they mean to my liver."

I agree with almost everything (I disagree with the Aquanet, it doesn't have a chemical flavor like you get in every other cheap liquor) said here. It's not the best whiskey....but it may be THE best whiskey for its proof and for its bargain.

I didn't mention it because at the time I got my bottles a couple of years ago Bulleit only sold barrel/cask strength at the distillery itself. But I see that you can get it now, at least online. I thought it was a good barrel strength product even though I'm not a big fan of their regular line. The Barrel strength is REALLY heavy with vanillins and almost a molasses flavor.

https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/b...n/bulleit-barrel-strength-bourbon/p/171695750

bulleit_bourbon_barrel_strength__46635.1508949907.jpg

I did look up the Maker's Mark White which was also a distillery only product and that's still only available on site, but the George Dickel White is now available apparently. So we're losing some of the distillery only "hidden gems" by having them publicly available.

1538035522.jpg

Dickel-No.-1-2.jpg

Also while looking that up I found this review of Mellow Corn that I completely agree with.

"Mellow Corn

It was suggested to me that I review my favorite corn-based, corn-named, corn-fection on here as my first review, so here we go.

First off this isn't unbiased. It's my favorite, and part of the reason it's my favorite is because it's ****ing ridiculous. This breakfast drink is made by Heaven Hill, aged for 4 years in what I can only assume are former candy corn barrels. This is 100 proof, and it shows.

Nose - smells exactly like name, fun fruity, candy corn, love the nose, v little alcohol smell, sugar, vanilla, grain silo, 8/10

Taste- SO buttered popcorn, very light sweetness (less than expected) hairspray, when gma uses aquanet, 8/10

Finish/final thoughts - Easy to drink short and sweet, obvious it's cheap 6.5/10

Overall:

Seriously, this is the best $13.49 you can spend on whiskey. I love this ^*%*, and I'm planning on making a pilgrimage to Heaven Hill so I can tell them how much they mean to my liver."

I agree with almost everything (I disagree with the Aquanet, it doesn't have a chemical flavor like you get in every other cheap liquor) said here. It's not the best whiskey....but it may be THE best whiskey for its proof and for its bargain.
I picked up a bottle of Bulleit Barrel Strength at a small independent liquor store near my son's place in Georgia. I don't know that I've seen it anywhere around here.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
This is a Tennessee bourbon whiskey backed by Peyton Manning and several other celebrity investors. The first 500 bottles, available only to Tennessee residents, sold out instantly at $200 a pop.

Let me know if you're interested in the next release, and I'll keep my eyes open.

5ebed97beaa208267333ca03_031720_Sweetens_Cove_0105R3_Retouched_V2-min-p-2000.jpeg

Yes, please!!

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Is that readily available in Iowa? I never see it around here.
I was able to come across a Stagg Jr by blind luck a few yrs ago and still have over half tucked away in the back, good luck finding it. It will definitely put some hair on your chest and best suited on the porch or around a campfire with good friends, if you catch my drift.

Forgot to add, if you're really into rye's, look for the EH Taylor bib 100pf straight rye . Found a few in an independent store outside of Baltimore of all places right before the WF game last yr and it took every inch of determination not to finish it. Thank god, I bought a WT101 for reserve, or it wouldve been tossed and long forgotten in a hotel trash can.

I've seen some in mom'n'pops from time to time, but never locally, so it's out there, just more of a get lucky situation. Damn good rye, and can smell it before it hits the mouth. Goes down smooth, but has that rye bite character that is unmistakable, and the nose that tells it's story once the glass is raised off the table.

I am a neat bourbon and rye drinker. Lately, I have bought nothing but barrel strengths. Once you start drinking them, 90 proofs taste like nothing. What are HROT's recommendations for barrel proof bourbons and ryes or those of 100 plus proof?

1792-full-proof-2.jpg

12468349992990.png

Just picked up a bottle of Old Forester 1920 on @PoopandBoogers recommendation. Will probably open it this evening.

The Whistlepig rye with half aged in Sauternes and half aged in Madeira might be up your alley as I thought I remembered you being a fan of Whistlepig. Right now my favorite whiskey of any sort is the Glenmorangie Nectar D’Or which is a single malt Speyside Scoth spending 10 years in bourbon barrels and then gets a final 2 years in Sauternes casks which really ups the creamy butterscotch and honey flavor without adding actual sugar to the whiskey. My second favorite right now is the Balvenie Caribbean Cask which is a 14 yo single malt Speyside Scotch aged in rum barrels.

Just picked up a bottle of Old Forester 1920 on @PoopandBoogers recommendation. Will probably open it this evening.

Have you tried the Pikesville Rye by Heaven Hill? It’s a 110 proof rye made in Kentucky but based on an old Maryland recipe back when Virginia and Maryland were THE producers of rye. I haven’t had it myself but I’m a fan of Heaven Hill. Other than maybe Wild Turkey, you get the best bang for your buck from them. Same quality as Makers, Woodford, Angel Envy etc but usually half the price for the equivalent liquor.

I’m back and forth on Whistlepig. On one hand, their stuff is incredibly expensive compared to their competition. On the other hand, they’re not artificially creating a secondary market of overpriced bourbon simply because their stuff is hard to find (I’m looking at you, Buffalo Trace).
I tasted a sample of their Boss Hogg Independent last week and was blown away at how good it was. Especially compared to other versions of their Boss Hog lineup.

Have you tried the Pikesville Rye by Heaven Hill? It’s a 110 proof rye made in Kentucky but based on an old Maryland recipe back when Virginia and Maryland were THE producers of rye. I haven’t had it myself but I’m a fan of Heaven Hill. Other than maybe Wild Turkey, you get the best bang for your buck from them. Same quality as Makers, Woodford, Angel Envy etc but usually half the price for the equivalent liquor.

Heaven Hill is good stuff. Their Elijah Craig Barrel Proof is still one of my favorites, but it’s damn hard to find. The Pikesville is one of my favorite attainable ryes.
Edit to add that their new Larceny Barrel Proof is a decent pour, too.

I’m back and forth on Whistlepig. On one hand, their stuff is incredibly expensive compared to their competition. On the other hand, they’re not artificially creating a secondary market of overpriced bourbon simply because their stuff is hard to find (I’m looking at you, Buffalo Trace).
I tasted a sample of their Boss Hogg Independent last week and was blown away at how good it was. Especially compared to other versions of their Boss Hog lineup.
I was at a bar that wanted $125 for 1.5 oz of Boss Hog. Too rich for my blood but I would really like to try it before dropping $500 on a bottle.

I don't know that I've seen Pikesville but I'll keep an eye out. Thanks.

Heaven Hill is good stuff. Their Elijah Craig Barrel Proof is still one of my favorites, but it’s damn hard to find. The Pikesville is one of my favorite attainable ryes.
The last bottle of EC barrell proof I've been able to find was C919. They have B520 out and I haven't seen one A120.

Half into my Woodford Reserve..........smoooooooooth.

Oddly enough that’s what I was drinking last night. I made a pepperoni pizza and wasn’t feeling like my standard go to pizza partner beer, so my wife and I did some Coke and whiskeys to go with it. We polished off an old bottle of Gentleman Jack I had (really to get the shaker and crystal glasses that came with it in a gift box this past Christmas as I’m not a huge fan of Jack of any sort) and then switched to a new bottle of Woodford Reserve. When it got later we swapped out the Coke for Sprite Ginger and some Sailor Jerry’s for the whiskey.

Normally I’ll do some whiskey and waters or real cocktails but I wasn’t feeling those either.

Found an EC Barrel Proof Batch C919 at 136 Proof this week. The weekend is going to be glorious.
Cheers, whisky friends.

Oddly enough that’s what I was drinking last night. I made a pepperoni pizza and wasn’t feeling like my standard go to pizza partner beer, so my wife and I did some Coke and whiskeys to go with it. We polished off an old bottle of Gentleman Jack I had (really to get the shaker and crystal glasses that came with it in a gift box this past Christmas as I’m not a huge fan of Jack of any sort) and then switched to a new bottle of Woodford Reserve. When it got later we swapped out the Coke for Sprite Ginger and some Sailor Jerry’s for the whiskey.

Normally I’ll do some whiskey and waters or real cocktails but I wasn’t feeling those either.
Have you ever tried your bourbon neat? I vividly recall my friend's father tell him that if he ever knew the effort put into making bourbon and mixed it with Coke, he better change his last name. A proud Kentuckian for sure. Thought it was funny.

Have you ever tried your bourbon neat? I vividly recall my friend's father tell him that if he ever knew the effort put into making bourbon and mixed it with Coke, he better change his last name. A proud Kentuckian for sure. Thought it was funny.

Yes, I believe I’ve been to every Bourbon distillery in Kentucky and whiskey and moonshine distillery in Tennessee that have open tastings and tours except Angel’s Envy (it was always closed each time) and I’ve been to whiskey distilleries in Arizona, Texas, Florida and Wisconsin as well. So obviously I’m a fan but I prefer it with something rather than straight or on the rocks. Honestly the only liquors I do straight, on the rocks or with still water only are Speyside single malt Scotches, Redbreast Irish whiskey, a few Canadian’s usually the flavored variety liand certain blended Scotches. The rest I add to ginger ale, lemonade, coke or actual cocktails.

Sidenote, for the record the best overall tour was Maker’s Mark as it’s very detailed, you get to sample it in every state from roasted corn, to the bubbling/fermenting mash to the first run at full strength to every finished product from the white whiskey to 46. The best tasting room was Doc Collier’s moonshine in Gatlinburg as you also got to try everything and I mean everything, straight from the still unaged moonshine, sugarshine and 100% corn whiskey to dozens of fruit and other flavored shines (I’m more partial to blackberry than apple pie, peach, etc...). The best for views and with a well stocked tasting room was Wild Turkey. The best tour for Tennessee process whiskey was not Jack but Dickel.

I still have a half bottle of Weller 12 from 4 yrs ago that I have to hide in the back of my collection, due to me wanting pour one. I was on a waiting list for 6 weeks. I haven't seen another since.

Eagle Rare is always available here, but Buffalo Trace is kinda hard to find, it's shelved here regularly, it just gets bought out within a day or two.

I've been eyeing the Eagle Rare Rye for quite awhile, but at $92, I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Where do you live? I see Buffalo Trace all over Central Iowa for $26 to $34 a bottle.

I’m partial to the that family....ER, BT, and Blanton’s....

BlantonsOriginal_315x678.jpg

Reactions: billanole
Where do you live? I see Buffalo Trace all over Central Iowa for $26 to $34 a bottle.

I'm in FL and BT is hard to find, but can be if you are diligent. Blanton's on the other hand... You would have an easier time finding a 3 legged buffalo nickel than that stuff. It's another one I just keep on the shelf just to look at lol.

Yes, I believe I’ve been to every Bourbon distillery in Kentucky and whiskey and moonshine distillery in Tennessee that have open tastings and tours except Angel’s Envy (it was always closed each time) and I’ve been to whiskey distilleries in Arizona, Texas, Florida and Wisconsin as well. So obviously I’m a fan but I prefer it with something rather than straight or on the rocks. Honestly the only liquors I do straight, on the rocks or with still water only are Speyside single malt Scotches, Redbreast Irish whiskey, a few Canadian’s usually the flavored variety liand certain blended Scotches. The rest I add to ginger ale, lemonade, coke or actual cocktails.

Sidenote, for the record the best overall tour was Maker’s Mark as it’s very detailed, you get to sample it in every state from roasted corn, to the bubbling/fermenting mash to the first run at full strength to every finished product from the white whiskey to 46. The best tasting room was Doc Collier’s moonshine in Gatlinburg as you also got to try everything and I mean everything, straight from the still unaged moonshine, sugarshine and 100% corn whiskey to dozens of fruit and other flavored shines (I’m more partial to blackberry than apple pie, peach, etc...). The best for views and with a well stocked tasting room was Wild Turkey. The best tour for Tennessee process whiskey was not Jack but Dickel.
raw

Good stuff!

1792-full-proof-2.jpg

12468349992990.png

Pretty good list there OP. I’d add Woodford Reserve and Angels Envy

Pretty good list there OP. I’d add Woodford Reserve and Angels Envy
Since I made that first list, I've added these two.

At the recommendation of @PoopandBoogers
5b1fbf93cc5fe36da736d016_Old-Forester-1920-Prohibition-Ratings-Card-01a.jpg

Just because I saw it at the store.
brbon_red4.jpg

I'll be stopping at my favorite independent liquor store next weekend. They usually have a good selection of higher-end bottles. I'm sure my wife won't be happy with what I'll end up spending.

If you haven’t been back in awhile, some of the tours on whisky row downtown Louisville are pretty decent. As a matter of fact, Old Forester’s downtown tour is my favorite now. As long as you pick the right day, you can watch the cooperage and char a barrel during the tour. They really did it well.

Since I made that first list, I've added these two.

At the recommendation of @PoopandBoogers
5b1fbf93cc5fe36da736d016_Old-Forester-1920-Prohibition-Ratings-Card-01a.jpg

Just because I saw it at the store.
brbon_red4.jpg

I'll be stopping at my favorite independent liquor store next weekend. They usually have a good selection of higher-end bottles. I'm sure my wife won't be happy with what I'll end up spending.
Nice. How'd you like the OF 1920?

Yep, I try to have 2 at all times. It's incredible. My store close by has it on the shelf for maybe a day, so I usually have to make an hr long round trip for it at Total Wine. And I don't care one bit.

Blanton's is next to impossible to get here for a reasonable price. Always out of stock, or if it's in, liquor stores charge through the roof for a bottle b/c they know it's so scarce.

CSB.

Reactions: Nipigu
Reactions: PoopandBoogers
ADVERTISEMENT