ADVERTISEMENT

SC Cop drags student across the floor in class room

It's not going to end well for the officer....even though I'm fully confident that the kid was being a disrespectful twerp. I think most HS kids probably deserve treatment like that periodically (I know I did), but you can't actually DO it.

I am completely okay with the cop doing this. I'm betting she was disturbing the learning environment of the kids who are actually there to learn, and she is probably a repeat offender/known pain in the ass. We need more of this in classrooms...not less.

I'm fine with him grabbing her and pulling her out of the desk, but that was a little over the top. Clearly she was being a problem on some level and she was not cooperating with the adults in charge, but there's plenty of room between physically removing her from the classroom and that.

Reactions: Wahawk56
Just saw that the FBI and DoJ are coming in to investigate. Is this really necessary at this point? I think all the steps taken in the aftermath so far are 100% appropriate -- school district said it doesn't want that officer on its grounds again until an investigation is complete and the State Troopers office put him immediately on administrative leave pending the investigation. Why bring in the feds at this point?

What would be the prefered way to deal with this? Would it have been better to tase her? Should they have evacuated everyone else from the classroom and just left here there until a guardian arrived? If a kid is staging a de facto sit in, what are the options?

Reactions: Tom Paris
Good points about the missing context. My comments have been based on the assumption that this was the officer's first shot at taking the kid out of the desk. If it wasn't, then I rescind it all. He was asked to remove the girl and that's what he did. If he started with that level of force, it didn't appear she was putting up much fight and it seemed he could have gotten her out without flipping the desk backwards and then tossing her forward like that. If he started with less and that's what it took, then fine.

I'm not sure what she did prior to the altercation, but I cannot imagine that what the cop resorted to was necessary, regardless. I'm not excusing the student's willful disobedience at all. I just find it hard to believe that it required anywhere near that kind of force to take care of the situation.

I'm not sure what she did prior to the altercation, but I cannot imagine that what the cop resorted to was necessary, regardless. I'm not excusing the student's willful disobedience at all. I just find it hard to believe that it required anywhere near that kind of force to take care of the situation.

It clearly didn't (in this case). But what we don't know is how many other kids the officer has dealt with who physically try to attack him or if groups form to try to intimidate him as he does his job. Perhaps he has to live by the Cobra Kai motto:

KKID002_LG2.jpg

Reactions: Chuck C
Just saw that the FBI and DoJ are coming in to investigate. Is this really necessary at this point? I think all the steps taken in the aftermath so far are 100% appropriate -- school district said it doesn't want that officer on its grounds again until an investigation is complete and the State Troopers office put him immediately on administrative leave pending the investigation. Why bring in the feds at this point?

I think the FBI and DOJ is over doing it. In SC we have SLED that can do most of what they do.

You know the answer to this already.

Now, the officer's actions are going to lead to his eventual firing. He didn't handle that properly. No need for the Feds though.

Agreed. Yes, my question was semi-rhetorical.

Teachers use to do that to classmates when I was in HS (late 80's). Teachers hands are tied now much like LEOs are. Hell I even told our principal I would sign a "go ahead and swat my kid" paper as I think kids have zero respect for authority anymore.

Reactions: 86Hawkeye

She wasn't injured. So how can there be excessive force when nobody is injured?

Per kids in the class, there was no disruption to the learning environment, and it was an issue over chewing gum.

If you think the police should be involved in any way you have issues.

If you think that type of force was in any way reasonable, you have serious issues.

Reactions: WORTHYWISH
Per kids in the class, there was no disruption to the learning environment, and it was an issue over chewing gum.

If you think that type of force was in any way reasonable, you have serious issues.

Police involvement doesn't come down on the officer, though. He's there to be the school's security force. That's on the teacher/administration for calling him in. It's not like he took it upon himself to go into the classroom and jerk this girl around. He was asked to remove the student from the class. The initial engagement on his part was fine.

Welcome back

Well the kids are lying. The video clearly shows the issue was her refusing to leave after being told to do so.
That's not incompatible with what those kids are saying. She was being told to leave over gum.

You think that's a police matter?

Also, she was so disruptive the students are saying they had no idea what she had done, she was just sitting there quietly beforehand. Not that it should make a difference.

What would be the prefered way to deal with this? Would it have been better to tase her? Should they have evacuated everyone else from the classroom and just left here there until a guardian arrived? If a kid is staging a de facto sit in, what are the options?
Shoot her with a tranquilizer dart, leave her in the desk while the other kids learn. Give her a wonder woman band aid with some neosporin.

She wasn't injured. So how can there be excessive force when nobody is injured?
Define "injured" here. She probably didn't require stitches, but extreme force was used. If she had been "injured" then this will really get amped-up and make the situation, and future situations worse.

I am closing in on 20 years in education. Evacuating the whole class is a step we consider. It takes away the audience. Is it ridiculous that the other kids have their learning disrupted? No doubt. It is better than seeing yourself on CNN. Kids are still kids, but parents have changed. I wouldn't want my daughters to be 'roughed' up like that...but I wouldn't have allowed their behaviors to get to the point of defiance.

I am not hating on the cop, but he should have figured another way around the situation.

No school since the beginning of time has tolerated chewing gum. And this is hardly the worst that was ever done to a student for chewing gum.
So you think it's reasonable to turn that into a police matter?

And you also think it's reasonable to grab kids by the hair and yank them around violently when they don't listen, even if they aren't causing any real harm?

You have serious issues.

So you think it's reasonable to turn that into a police matter?

And you also think it's reasonable to grab kids by the hair and yank them around violently when they don't listen, even if they aren't causing any real harm?

You have serious issues.

He didn't yank her by her hair.

So, everybody should have sat there while the school resource officer had a "Dr. Phil" session with her? Is that what our society has become?

I am closing in on 20 years in education. Evacuating the whole class is a step we consider. It takes away the audience. Is it ridiculous that the other kids have their learning disrupted? No doubt. It is better than seeing yourself on CNN. Kids are still kids, but parents have changed. I wouldn't want my daughters to be 'roughed' up like that...but I wouldn't have allowed their behaviors to get to the point of defiance.

I am not hating on the cop, but he should have figured another way around the situation.
I have a school aged son, and if he was told to leave the class by a teacher, then by a police officer, and still would not leave on his own, I would be WAY more angry with my son than the police.

I have a school aged son, and if he was told to leave the class by a teacher, then by a police officer, and still would not leave on his own, I would be WAY more angry with my son than the police.

Yup. In Junior high, we had an option: take the paddling, or call parents.

I always took the swats.

ADVERTISEMENT