ADVERTISEMENT

SC Cop drags student across the floor in class room

Holy, Shyte.

THE CLASS WAS DISRUPTED. Did you somehow MISS THAT? How much learning do you think occurred during and after that little kerfuffle? What story do you think the children in that class went home and told their parents? Oh wait...they didn't need to tell any story...they were on the damn NEWS!

And that class will continue to be disrupted for as long as this stays in the news. Are you seriously this dense? This could have all been handled with absolutely no fuss and very little disruption and there would have been zero repercussions the next day. The entire episode would have been forgotten instantly. Instead, you're here cheering for an outcome that was FAR MORE DISRUPTIVE. This student wasn't "managed". What happened was the exact opposite of "managed".

Where did you get the idea that I didn't comprehend that the class was disrupted? It shouldn't have been from what I wrote...unless you can't read that is. It was disrupted and I acknowledged that.

My point is that I would have an expectation as a parent that the people in charge of the school/classroom would manage that classroom to minimize, and then eliminate as necessary, disruption(s) to maintain a learning environment. To tolerate or allow a student to essentially stop the class is a terrible precedent to set and risks future disruptions.

Reactions: Tom Paris
My only slight quibble is with the characterization of the cop. He should have known better but they are trained to handle non-compliant individuals with overwhelming force for their own safety. That's exactly what he did and exactly why you don't put SRO's in the mix in situations like this.

I disagree somewhat. Yes, training of police officers needs a lot of work but an officer isn't a robot.

He should have assessed the situation, understood there was no risk of harm from a diminutive school girl and taken appropriate action.

He simply got mad at a mouthy disrespectful b and let his emotions get the best of him.

I guess in that sense, cops do need to be like robots and not allow emotions to interfere with judgement.

I agree with his being fired and the girl should have major repercussions as well.

Where did you get the idea that I didn't comprehend that the class was disrupted? It shouldn't have been from what I wrote...unless you can't read that is. It was disrupted and I acknowledged that.

My point is that I would have an expectation as a parent that the people in charge of the school/classroom would manage that classroom to minimize, and then eliminate as necessary, disruption(s) to maintain a learning environment. To tolerate or allow a student to essentially stop the class is a terrible precedent to set and risks future disruptions.

You seemed to think that having the class leave so the student would be isolated was a greater disruption that what actually occurred. I can copy and paste your op if you wish. What do you mean by "To tolerate or allow a student to essentially stop the class is a terrible precedent to set and risks future disruptions"? The student DID stop the class...for an extended period. It would be far less disruptive in both the short and long run to have the class move, deal with the issue in isolation, and move on. THAT'S how you minimize and eliminate disruptions and maintain a learning environment.

Now you have an entire school that's disrupted and a lawsuit that will that keep the story in the news for months. Not to mention a cop loses his job and the district faces massive financial liability.

The SRO should have never entered that room. At that point, the admin admitted to every student in the class that they had lost control of the situation. Absolutely idiotic move. This isn't even a close call.

Last edited:
I disagree somewhat. Yes, training of police officers needs a lot of work but an officer isn't a robot.

He should have assessed the situation...

Stopping you right there. He Shouldn't Have Been There To Assess Anything. His presence was unnecessary. Classroom discipline should NEVER be the purview of an SRO unless there's a threat of harm. Why is that so difficult to comprehend?

Stopping you right there. He Shouldn't Have Been There To Assess Anything. His presence was unnecessary. Classroom discipline should NEVER be the purview of an SRO unless there's a threat of harm. Why is that so difficult to comprehend?

I 100% agree with you.

Problem is, administration failed so he was there. Then he failed so he should be fired.

I agree with everything you're saying. Clearing the classroom and dealing with the problem student was the approach to take.

Sooo... if a disruptor refuses to leave the room, who makes her do it?

The Teacher?

The Principal?

The SRO?

Someone else?

SOMEONE needs to force her to obey a lawful order to leave. Who should do that?

I 100% agree with you.

Problem is, administration failed so he was there. Then he failed so he should be fired.

I agree with everything you're saying. Clearing the classroom and dealing with the problem student was the approach to take.

10-4...I would just assign him the least responsibility. He did what he was trained to do and should have known better.

I 100% agree with you.

Freaking disagree. Now you have a bunch of kids hanging out in the hallway saying, WAAAT? That's all we need to do to interrupt math class is to refuse to follow directions???? WORD, Y'ALL! PARTEE TIME!!!!!

Sooo... if a disruptor refuses to leave the room, who makes her do it?

The Teacher?

The Principal?

The SRO?

Someone else?

SOMEONE needs to force her to obey a lawful order to leave. Who should do that?

How long do you think she's going to stay in that seat in a room emptied of other kids? Do you know any kids? After the pressure on her to remain defiant was removed, she would have complied. NO FORCE WAS NEEDED.

Don't EVER become a hostage negotiator. Not in your wheelhouse.

How long do you think she's going to stay in that seat in a room emptied of other kids? Do you know any kids? After the pressure on her to remain defiant was removed, she would have complied. NO FORCE WAS NEEDED.

Don't EVER become a hostage negotiator. Not in your wheelhouse.

Yeah, and all her collaborators are now free to roam the halls to sow further seeds of disruption. Great plan, Dr. Phil. Do you even remember high school? Maybe it's more civilized in Iowa than it is in the more "diverse" areas of the country.

Freaking disagree. Now you have a bunch of kids hanging out in the hallway saying, WAAAT? That's all we need to do to interrupt math class is to refuse to follow directions???? WORD, Y'ALL! PARTEE TIME!!!!!

Wrong. You suspend her, expel her, whatever is appropriate so that other students know not to follow her path.

There have to be consequences. Those consequences don't have to include being slammed to the floor.

Ready for the rest of the story on that cop-throws-student video?

Another cop ambush.

You've all seen the video by now, and in the unlikely event you haven't, here:

Video Linked at the Bottom

Richland County (South Carolina) Senior Deputy Ben Fields has now been fired for the amount and manner of force he used in attempting to remove that student from her desk during the incident that's been going viral for the past several days.

White male cop throws female black student across room! That's been the narrative. What you haven't heard is why he was called into the classroom in the first place. In its story reporting Fields's firing, the Los Angeles Times has those details:

Students in the classroom said she had been using her phone during math class and refused to leave the room after the teacher wrote her up. After she refused the teacher and a vice principal’s orders to leave the room, officials called in Fields. The student also refused his commands to leave.

Student videos showed Fields wrapping his arm around the student’s neck and tipping over her desk while she was still sitting in it. The deputy then dragged and tossed the student across the room.

Lott said that although the toss was against department policy and gave him “heartburn,” the teacher and the vice principal in the classroom supported what the deputy did with the student.

“The teacher and the school administrator, in their statements [to investigators], both fully supported the actions of Fields,” Lott said. “They both said he acted appropriately, he didn’t use excessive force.”

Now look, it certainly looked like excessive force to me when I saw it raw on video. But knowing the back story, it's worth asking what Deputy Fields's options really were. The reason he'd been called in the first place was that the student had defied the orders of both the teacher and the principal to leave the classroom because of her disruptive behavior. The next step at that point is to bring in law enforcement. And when she still refuses the order of a Sheriff's Deputy to leave her seat and exit the classroom, his choices are:

1. Give in and let her stay, thus rewarding her rebellious behavior.

2. Forcibly remove her.

Why, exactly, would it be the right thing to do to choose Option 1? She was the one who declined the simple option of obeying the deputy's order and exiting the classroom. That was her choice and her choice alone. It was also her choice to continue resisting when he tried to physically remove her, thus making the outcome of the confrontation much worse for herself than it needed to be.

This is looking like another cop ambush. The student knew that other students were shooting video of the incident, so she probably figured that as a young black female being confronted by a white police officer, she couldn't lose. If he got physical with her, she'd make the both of them the newest YouTube stars and all the usual suspects would treat her as a victim when in fact she was the cause of all the trouble that happened here.

It's always galled me that when people misbehave, forcing other people to step in and deal with their misbehavior, it's the people who step in who get placed under the microscope for every little decision they make in trying to deal with a defiant and uncooperative troublemaker. And the person who caused the problems in the first place? Why the little darling is just an innocent victim.

My ass she is.

And by reacting the way it has, the school district has sent a message to all the other students that if they defy authority, nothing will happen to them. You can sit there all day long and do whatever you want, and when you refuse orders to vacate the premises, no one will make you pay a price. It's too risky.

The inmates are truly running the asylum. And a deputy who accepted the thankless task of doing his job is now out of a job, much to the delight of the cop-hating left and lots of other people who don't make the effort to find out the facts when one of these stupid videos comes out.

http://www.caintv.com/ready-for-the-rest-of-the-stor

Yeah, and all her collaborators are now free to roam the halls to sow further seeds of disruption. Great plan, Dr. Phil. Do you even remember high school? Maybe it's more civilized in Iowa than it is in the more "diverse" areas of the country.

Can't do it, huh?

And by reacting the way it has, the school district has sent a message to all the other students that if they defy authority, nothing will happen to them. You can sit there all day long and do whatever you want, and when you refuse orders to vacate the premises, no one will make you pay a price. It's too risky.

The inmates are truly running the asylum. And a deputy who accepted the thankless task of doing his job is now out of a job, much to the delight of the cop-hating left and lots of other people who don't make the effort to find out the facts when one of these stupid videos comes out.

WTF? The school did EXACTLY WHAT YOU THINK THEY SHOULD HAVE DONE! They will now be sued and they will lose. It won't be close. They made the girl a martyr and a hero. Had they handled it correctly, there would be no facts to discover because there would be no f'n video of a cop over-reacting. No one would know that anything ever happened in that classroom - nor would they care if they did know.

PLEASE stop being a moron..even if it's through the person of Herman Cain.

WTF? The school did EXACTLY WHAT YOU THINK THEY SHOULD HAVE DONE! They will now be sued and they will lose. It won't be close. Had they handled it correctly, there would be no facts to discover because there would be no f'n video of a cop over-reacting.

PLEASE stop being a moron..even if it's through the person of Herman Cain.

Only because morons like you will be stacked in the jury box.

Only because morons like you will be stacked in the jury box.

At least try to be original. Your buddy Cain seems to think the girl planned the whole thing so it would turn out just like it did...

This is looking like another cop ambush. The student knew that other students were shooting video of the incident, so she probably figured that as a young black female being confronted by a white police officer, she couldn't lose. If he got physical with her, she'd make the both of them the newest YouTube stars and all the usual suspects would treat her as a victim when in fact she was the cause of all the trouble that happened here.

...and here you both are supporting them for DOING EXACTLY WHAT YOU THINK SHE WANTED. That's the definition of moronic. You should stop...if you can.

At least try to be original. Your buddy Cain seems to think the girl planned the whole thing so it would turn out just like it did...

...and here you both are supporting them for DOING EXACTLY WHAT YOU THINK SHE WANTED. That's the definition of moronic. You should stop...if you can.

You're babbling. Maybe you should go to bed and sleep on your stupidity.

She's not Rosa Parks, refusing to give up her seat to a white woman. She's a black Jeff Spicoli stirring up trouble at Ridgemont High.

You seemed to think that having the class leave so the student would be isolated was a greater disruption that what actually occurred. I can copy and paste your op if you wish. What do you mean by "To tolerate or allow a student to essentially stop the class is a terrible precedent to set and risks future disruptions"? The student DID stop the class...for an extended period. It would be far less disruptive in both the short and long run to have the class move, deal with the issue in isolation, and move on. THAT'S how you minimize and eliminate disruptions and maintain a learning environment.

Now you have an entire school that's disrupted and a lawsuit that will that keep the story in the news for months. Not to mention a cop loses his job and the district faces massive financial liability.

The SRO should have never entered that room. At that point, the admin admitted to every student in the class that they had lost control of the situation. Absolutely idiotic move. This isn't even a close call.

Both scenarios would be very disruptive...but one, letting her sit in the class and defy the rules/authority and prevent the teacher from teaching and her fellow students from learning, would IMO likely lead to future, similar defiant and disruptive actions.

The other, not allowing the insubordination and confronting it and even forcibly removing it...after many, many warnings issued to her BTW...would send a message that future, similar acts of defiance will not meet with a good outcome for the perpetrator(s) would tend to suppress repeat performances...therefore, NOT disrupting future classes.

That's really all I have to say about this...I know in advance that this will go over your head and I can only hope that you gain some wisdom and understanding about people before you have your own kids and/or are in charge of anything of significance.

LOL...not even an artful dodge there, Trad.

How about you speak to this?

And when she still refuses the order of a Sheriff's Deputy to leave her seat and exit the classroom, his choices are:

2. Forcibly remove her.

?

There really aren't any other options here. Evacuating the class also means that she wins.

How about you speak to this?

And when she still refuses the order of a Sheriff's Deputy to leave her seat and exit the classroom, his choices are:

2. Forcibly remove her.

?

There really aren't any other options here. Evacuating the class also means that she wins.

No, it doesn't. That's more of your moronic thinking. By your thinking, she won when they did exactly what she wanted them to do. YOU gave her the audience and the video and the overzealous cop. Why did you give her what she wanted?

No, it doesn't. That's more of your moronic thinking. By your thinking, she won when they did exactly what she wanted them to do. YOU gave her the audience and the video and the overzealous cop. Why did you give her what she wanted?

Why are YOU giving her what she wanted? She wanted to be the next YouTube anti-authority sensation. Society should be outraged by the actions of this so-called student, instead, you're outraged by the guy with the authority to remove troublemakers from class.

Fark it. My kids are raised and I'm moving to Costa Rica. Have a nice swim down the societal toilet bowl.

Both scenarios would be very disruptive...but one, letting her sit in the class and defy the rules/authority and prevent the teacher from teaching and her fellow students from learning, would IMO likely lead to future, similar defiant and disruptive actions.

The other, not allowing the insubordination and confronting it and even forcibly removing it...after many, many warnings issued to her BTW...would send a message that future, similar acts of defiance will not meet with a good outcome for the perpetrator(s) would tend to suppress repeat performances...therefore, NOT disrupting future classes.

That's really all I have to say about this...I know in advance that this will go over your head and I can only hope that you gain some wisdom and understanding about people before you have your own kids and/or are in charge of anything of significance.

You really have no idea how kids think. She got a show. She's a hero. She's going to get a big check. Yeah...no kid EVER wanted any of that.

BTW, for future reference I have two kids and I've been in the classroom for 24 years so you really shouldn't say anything more about this.

Why are YOU giving her what she wanted? She wanted to be the next YouTube anti-authority sensation. Society should be outraged by the actions of this so-called student, instead, you're outraged by the guy with the authority to remove troublemakers from class.

Fark it. My kids are raised and I'm moving to Costa Rica. Have a nice swim down the societal toilet bowl.

I don't give her anything. The kids move to another room and continue class. She's isolated with no one to play games for. By the next day, the whole thing's barely a memory. The kids come back to the classroom the next day and her seat is empty. Nothing else needs to be said.

And I've repeatedly said the cop was put in a situation he was not trained for...he should have never been involved at all. You're the one that wants him to lose his job. Why do you hate cops?

And bye.

You really have no idea how kids think. She got a show. She's a hero. She's going to get a big check. Yeah...no kid EVER wanted any of that.

BTW, for future reference I have two kids and I've been in the classroom for 24 years so you really shouldn't say anything more about this.

I have THREE kids so poo on you.

The fact that you've "been the the classroom for 24 years" speaks volumes.

But of course, many of your fellow educators disagree with you. Perhaps you live in a charmed school district.

Several teachers who contacted NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune said students had injured them. Indeed, 18 percent of Louisiana public school teachers -- the highest rate in the United States -- reported being physically threatened in 2011-12, according to federal data.

A woman who until recently taught at a Slidell junior high school said she felt "terrible" for the South Carolina officer. (Like the other teachers in this story, she asked to withhold her name out of concern for her career.) She's had students curse, scream and throw a stapler, she said.

"The teacher has very few options. You call the principal – their hands are tied as well," she said. The worst that students get is an in-school suspension and "a lot of kids like that – they feel like they don't have to do any work."

"Without consequences there's going to be chaos," she said, adding that she wished schools still gave out paddlings for misbehavior.

A retired New Orleans teacher said she has had students attack her and each other. She said violent and disruptive children should be in small, separate classes with a focus on behavior, although under the law schools must educate students with disabilities in the most integrated environment they can handle.

http://www.nola.com/education/index.ssf/2015/10/south_carolina_video_teachers.html

I don't give her anything. The kids move to another room and continue class. She's isolated with no one to play games for. By the next day, the whole thing's barely a memory. The kids come back to the classroom the next day and her seat is empty. Nothing else needs to be said.

And I've repeatedly said the cop was put in a situation he was not trained for...he should have never been involved at all. You're the one that wants him to lose his job. Why do you hate cops?

And bye.

Why do you assume there's another room for these kids to be moved to?

Because there is. Do you think every room in a school is full every period of every day? Again...you should stop.

I guess you're not in Florida. Our schools are so overcrowded that we have trailer classrooms to house all the kids.

Yeah, I know, Floridians are stupid. Wish you'd spread that gospel far and wide so people would stop moving here and enrolling their kids into our already crowded schools.

I guess you're not in Florida. Our schools are so overcrowded that we have trailer classrooms to house all the kids.

Yeah, I know, Floridians are stupid. Wish you'd spread that gospel far and wide so people would stop moving here and enrolling their kids into our already crowded schools.

LOL...do you have art classes in Florida? Gym? Band? You know kids go to classrooms for those, right? And when they're in those classrooms, their core classrooms are empty. And there are times of the day when all the kids will be in their core classes and the elective classes will be empty. You knew that...right?

LOL...do you have art classes in Florida? Gym? Band? You know kids go to classrooms for those, right? And when they're in those classrooms, their core classrooms are empty. And there are times of the day when all the kids will be in their core classes and the elective classes will be empty. You knew that...right?

There are no empty classrooms. Don't you think they'd move kids around as best as they could before putting in portable classrooms?

The gym, the auditorium, wherever. You're being obtuse.

You keep acting like anyone is defending the girl's behavior or actions. No one in this thread is doing that.

The cop was put into a bad situation but that doesn't excuse his actions. He made a poor decision.

I agree with tarheel that the administrators failed as well. They didn't handle a situation that they easily could have by diffusing it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT