ADVERTISEMENT

Schedule is much better for Iowa

Jan 3, 2003
Looking at the new schedule gives me more hope. Lose the preseason games. Get Maryland as our first game for Petras to get his feet wet. Then Purdue for second step(even though Purdue could be a much improved team). Then the Minn game with Bateman gone. Petras has a nice pathway for growth.

Our most likely loss is where OSU has 2 weeks to prepare for us. Likely loss anyway. Illinois is the other team to get 2 weeks to prepare for us.

We get 2 weeks to prepare for our next 2 toughest games: Penn State and Wisconsin.

So overall, I think we got a slight break from what our schedule looked like before the change.

Now if we have to postpone games, and fill them in with the bye weeks, that changes the equation. Or if we even have a season. A lot of ifs.

Looking at the new schedule gives me more hope. Lose the preseason games. Get Maryland as our first game for Petras to get his feet wet. Then Purdue for second step(even though Purdue could be a much improved team). Then the Minn game with Bateman gone. Petras has a nice pathway for growth.

Our most likely loss is where OSU has 2 weeks to prepare for us. Likely loss anyway. Illinois is the other team to get 2 weeks to prepare for us.

We get 2 weeks to prepare for our next 2 toughest games: Penn State and Wisconsin.

So overall, I think we got a slight break from what our schedule looked like before the change.

Now if we have to postpone games, and fill them in with the bye weeks, that changes the equation. Or if we even have a season. A lot of ifs.

Purdue has David Bell and Rondale Moore. We ain't stopping those guys. Our offense better be ready to put up some points in that one.

OSU and PSU on the road are likely going to be losses. I think we can beat Purdue and Wisconsin although it won't be easy. If Petras ramps up quickly, I think we could have a very good season.

Reactions: Wadzinator
Strength of the team is the secondary. If we can make it through camp without some injuries Purdue will likely have to go against Belton, Brents and Hankins. No small task. Minnesota might have preseason hype but they lost about 6 guys on D with over 3 years of starting experience and Bateman was the real real real deal. With no ultra playmaker and an accurate but not big arm QB I see the hawks beating them by 2 scores.

these are also the two deepest Oline and Dlines we’ve had in years. Niemann stated that they have 10 guys they like at Dline without the freshman (Craig and Jones). At Oline you have Jackson, Cronk, Linderbaum and Banwart as for sure starters in my mind. That leaves one guard spot Kallenberger, Schott, Ince, Britt, Endres, Elsbury.

Since 2015 Iowa has done an incredible job recruiting both lines and it’s showing up this year

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
OSU and PSU on the road are likely going to be losses. I think we can beat Purdue and Wisconsin although it won't be easy. If Petras ramps up quickly, I think we could have a very good season.
I like our chances to win @ Oh St & @ P St better than Wis at home.

We’ve beaten P St & Oh St more than Wis in the last 8 years or so.

Reactions: badger-007
In the original schedule at Penn State and at Ohio State were in consecutive weeks

Purdue has David Bell and Rondale Moore. We ain't stopping those guys. Our offense better be ready to put up some points in that one.

Sure, but even when we knew David Bell was getting the ball last fall we still could not cover him.

Only have to worry about one of them now. Also Purdue was 129 out 130 in D1 for rushing last year. As we saw in the bowl game with usc even with all that talent in the passing game tough to beat good teams being so one dimensional. Purdue better hope they find even some minor form of a running game this year.

The new schedule difficulty oddly parallels how Iowa normally progresses through a season. Sloppy in September, nasty in November. With Penn State announcing no fans (for now) and OSU being our last regular season game, we could have a really exciting year. Plenty of places to stub our toe, but also plenty of opportunity to make some waves.

Wisconsin got a cushy schedule. They don't have to play PSU or OSU. They get Rutgers, Indiana, Maryland, and Michigan. It's going to suck if the division is on the line in the final week -- Iowa plays OSU and Wisconsin plays Rutgers.

This whole season is going to be unpredictable! Update with Rondale from Purdue and Bateman from Minn opting out increases our odds for the first 3 games. First 6 games all look winnable, as does the MSU game. Season boils down to Wis at home and PSU and OSU on the road. Have to beat Wis at home!

ADVERTISEMENT