ADVERTISEMENT

***** Schedule Reveal Thread: Sep 19, 9AM on FOX. Game #9 at UNI Dome? Nebraska on Black Friday? MSU & PSU the Crossovers? *****

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
SEP 19 UPDATE:

EiSQjXiWkAAsYTR

SEP 18 UPDATE:

ORIGINAL POST:

Game #9 could be held in domes at neutral sites within the Big Ten football print. Jim Harbaugh is credited with this idea. Reports have mentioned the following 7 locations as possible venues for the 7 East vs. West showdown games on Dec. 18-19:

* Ford Field in Detroit, MI
* US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, MN
* The Dome at America's Center in St. Louis, MO
* The Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY
* Miller Park in Milwaukee, WI
* UNI-Dome in Cedar Falls, IA
* Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, IN

Also, based on what the Purdue AD & Scott (from the Athletic) tweeted yesterday, it's unlikely Iowa plays tOSU in a crossover game.

IOWA's 9 game schedule, therefore, appears to be:

Division Games:

1. Wisconsin
2. Minnesota (AWAY)
3. Nebraska (their AD pushing for Black Friday)
4. Illinois (AWAY)
5. Purdue (AWAY)
6. Northwestern

Crossover Games:
7. Penn State (AWAY)
8. Michigan State (HOME)

Dec 18/19 B1G Title Game Weekend:
9. Opponent from EAST DIVISION, to be determined

How game #9 will work:
.....# 1 East vs #1 West for B1G CHAMPIONSHIP
.....# 2 East vs #2 West (unless those 2 teams played in regular season)
.....and so on....

8Q4tvh-o

Last edited:
Screw domes. This will be a golden opportunity to showcase football on some frozen tundra and show the SEC how it’s done.

I’m all for keeping the B1G championship game indoors as flash and style points will help get a B1G team into the playoffs and no way you show flash and style on frozen mud. The 2-7 games should be played at Lambeau, Soldier Field, Browns Stadium, Heinz Field, etc. No East/west division home field advantage that way. The bowl game landscape may change and the regular 8-9 B1G bowl eligible teams may be adjusted down this year. Give the big fellas something nice to showcase at end of season in case they miss out on a bowl opportunity.

The point of the domes is because of the cold weather.

Now if they were treating these crossovers as bowl games, then I could understand wanting to play in bigger, NFL venues.

Otherwise, if they're content with having teams playing outdoors, then there's no reason they can't play at their own stadiums.

Game #9 could be held in domes at neutral sites within the Big Ten football print. Jim Harbaugh is credited with this idea. Reports have mentioned the following 7 locations as possible venues for the 7 East vs. West showdown games on Dec. 18-19:

Also, based on what the Purdue AD & Scott (from the Athletic) tweeted yesterday, it's unlikely Iowa plays tOSU in a crossover game.

Division Games:

1. Wisconsin
2. Minnesota
4. Illinois
5. Purdue
6. Northwestern

Crossover Games:
7. Penn State (AWAY)
8. Michigan State (HOME)

How game #9 will work:
.....and so on....

why would neb push for black friday? didn’t they want to (and just succeed) in getting out of it?

I know the UNI dome is a long shot, but it is easily accessible for Neb, Iowa, Minn, Wisc, Ill and NW.

So......a possible version of the new schedule could look like this, if they go off the original 2020 schedule, albeit with some minor tweaks:

At Minnesota
Michigan State
At Penn State
Northwestern
At Illinois
Wisconsin
At Purdue
Nebraska
Vs. East Opponent (BTCG one time, maybe?)

Guesstimating game times:

- Friday 6/7 pm, Minnesota will want the exposure and fake James Franklin is all about creating over-dramatic hype. (BTN)

- 11 am ESPN........finally some good ole fashioned morning football BAU.....probably even get Beth Mowins on the call if we're really unlucky #Because2020

- 2:30 on ABC. Another program that owes Iowa more than they'll ever be able to repay, as far as I'm concerned.

- 11 am on BTN.....BAU

- 11 am on ESPN 2.....BAU

- 6 pm on Fox.....because f*** Wisconsin, that's why.

- 11 am on ESPN.....BAU

- 11 am/ 2:30 pm on ABC (probably not ABC, but it doesn't matter what channel it's on, we're still gonna kick Nebraska's arse. :cool:

Reactions: Franisdaman

Division Games:

1. Wisconsin
2. Minnesota
4. Illinois
5. Purdue
6. Northwestern

Crossover Games:
7. Penn State (AWAY)
8. Michigan State (HOME)

How game #9 will work:
.....and so on....

Screw Nebraska. I'd rather have them in game 1 and just curb stomp them.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I know the UNI dome is a long shot, but it is easily accessible for Neb, Iowa, Minn, Wisc, Ill and NW.

Not sure I'd consider it a long shot if they go with this format. What other indoor options are there in the B1G footprint? The 7 listed above already includes Milwaukee, where I don't believe a football game has ever been played. The only other option that exists even close to the B1G footprint that might be superior to UNI-Dome is Fargodome.

I still like the idea of that 9th game being on campuses. Reducing travel has been at the crux of fighting this pandemic, so why have 6 teams travel that don't have to? Also, avoiding cold weather games is more about fan safety than player safety, and that factor would not exist. There are rarely days in mid-December that are dangerously cold, anyway. They could always have some indoor stadiums reserved as a back-up if outdoor games are anticipated to be a problem as the day approaches.

The point of the domes is because of the cold weather.

Now if they were treating these crossovers as bowl games, then I could understand wanting to play in bigger, NFL venues.

Otherwise, if they're content with having teams playing outdoors, then there's no reason they can't play at their own stadiums.

Yes, the point of domes is for inclement weather but I believe mostly for the fans not players when it comes to football. Baseball is for the playing conditions.

Not sure I'd consider it a long shot if they go with this format. What other indoor options are there in the B1G footprint? The 7 listed above already includes Milwaukee, where I don't believe a football game has ever been played. The only other option that exists even close to the B1G footprint that might be superior to UNI-Dome is Fargodome.

I still like the idea of that 9th game being on campuses. Reducing travel has been at the crux of fighting this pandemic, so why have 6 teams travel that don't have to? Also, avoiding cold weather games is more about fan safety than player safety, and that factor would not exist. There are rarely days in mid-December that are dangerously cold, anyway. They could always have some indoor stadiums reserved as a back-up if outdoor games are anticipated to be a problem as the day approaches.
Add in GB at Detroit for that last weekend as well. A good way for UNI to get some income.

Division Games:

1. Wisconsin
2. Minnesota
4. Illinois
5. Purdue
6. Northwestern

Crossover Games:
7. Penn State (AWAY)
8. Michigan State (HOME)

How game #9 will work:
.....and so on....

I've got the Hawks game #9 penciled in for Lucas Oil Stadium :)

why would neb push for black friday? didn’t they want to (and just succeed) in getting out of it?
If I remember correctly the former Neb. AD lied to his own people. He alone wanted out of black friday game. Got him fired. I think both Iowa and Nebraska want to go back to the Friday game.

Screw the Carrier Dome. Let Maryland play Rutgers there. Why should a team from the west travel that far?

Barta signaling Friday night games in Kinnick would be A-okay with no fans as there would be no parking issues.

It’s not about the cold air temps.

it’s about the playing surface being frozen solid as a rock and the potential of serious knee injuries.

Most years we don't have any kind of real frost in the ground yet by early December. we already play the last Friday of November. A few more weeks won't be that big of difference other than possible more snow removal.

Reactions: GoIowaBlackKnight
Without fans you could do a noon/11AM game and then an evening game in the same venue, couldn't you?
Yes, but they'd have to weigh the pros and cons of having head-to-head TV matchups with the BTCG. Any other prime time games that day would have to be Rutgers-NW or Maryland-IL, with undercards like Iowa-Mich and Minn-PSU. Ouch.

It’s not about the cold air temps.

it’s about the playing surface being frozen solid as a rock and the potential of serious knee injuries.

That's why they don't play bowl games in places like, oh, Yankee Stadium in New York City in December. LOL

That's why they don't play bowl games in places like, oh, Yankee Stadium in New York City in December. LOL

Most fields are not grass like that any more. Most are the softer synthetic field turf with the rubber stuff underneath. So it is not Lambeau Field for the ice bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT