ADVERTISEMENT

FULL SCHEDULE (27 GAMES) RELEASED! Hosting MTE(Nov25). W Ill(Dec3), N Car(Dec8), ISU (Dec11) & N Ill(Dec13) @ CHA. Gonzaga(Dec19). No Gavitt Games

OCTOBER 8, 2020 UPDATE:

Before covid-19, it was highly likely we were going to see Iowa at either Villanova or Creighton for the Gavitt Games.

Now it appears the Gavitt Games have been canceled for THIS SEASON.

THE STORY:

When's the schedule get announced? Gonna be a great one
Looks like Nov 1 is earliest we will see a conference game schedule. See tweet at end of this post.

Fran wants to play a 27 game schedule, which is the maximum # of games a team can play.

Does this 27 game schedule sound about right? As you can see, there appears 2 games yet to be determined.

20--conference games
2--hosting a multi team event (MTE)
1--Gonzaga
1--Iowa State
1--B1G/ACC Challenge (N Carolina or Louisville?)
1--To be Announced w/ Gavitt Games likely canceled
1--To Be Announced

27 Total Games

Drake has 2 of its 7 nonconference games figured out.

As part of K-State's MTE (multi team event), Drake will play Kansas State & South Dakota State. Not bad at all.

Per the Gonzaga game in SD. Don't be so sure about no fans. Isn't SD the state that pretty much kept things open all summer??? Or is it up to the teams or conferences to decide this?

Per the Gonzaga game in SD. Don't be so sure about no fans. Isn't SD the state that pretty much kept things open all summer??? Or is it up to the teams or conferences to decide this?
South Dakota, North Dakota & Wisconsin all are having virus case increases at the moment

Looks like Nov 1 is earliest we will see a conference game schedule. See tweet at end of this post.

Fran wants to play a 27 game schedule, which is the maximum # of games a team can play.

Does this 27 game schedule sound about right? As you can see, there appears 2 games yet to be determined.

20--conference games
2--hosting a multi team event (MTE)
1--Gonzaga
1--Iowa State
1--B1G/ACC Challenge (N Carolina or Louisville?)
1--To be Announced w/ Gavitt Games likely canceled
1--To Be Announced

27 Total Games

Almost had 22 conference games. Looks like it will stay at 20. We hopefully find out the entire 27 game schedule by Nov 1.

Gotta give Gonzaga credit. As teams scramble to fill their 27 game schedule, Gonzaga keeps adding quality Power 5 opponents to their non conference schedule.

OCTOBER 12, 2020 UPDATE:

As expected, per Jeff Goodman (see tweet that follows), it looks like Iowa will open its season on November 25th when they host their own MTE (Multi-Team Event) that includes Southern and North Carolina Central. There is expected to be one more team that will join them.

NOTE: The first three games OF THE ORIGINAL SCHEDULE constituted an exempt multi-team event (MTE) that Iowa was hosting. This home "tournament" was considered a classic; it was not a traditional tournament. Iowa, Southern, North Carolina Central and South Dakota were to all play each other. South Dakota was to host two games before playing at Iowa.

ORIGINAL Nonconference Schedule:

Game 1. Nov 10 vs Southern (17-15 last season, 13-5 in the Southwestern Athletic Conference)

Game 2. Nov 13 vs NC Central (18-13, 13-3 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)

Game 3. Nov 16 or Nov 20 vs South Dakota (20-12, 10-6 Summit League)

Last edited:
I would be interested in where those MTE schools rated last year.....the records don't appear to represent the 300+ folks we have seen...but I could be wrong. I have no idea what they return or there have been coaching changes, etc.

I would be interested in where those MTE schools rated last year.....the records don't appear to represent the 300+ folks we have seen...but I could be wrong. I have no idea what they return or there have been coaching changes, etc.
I think with just 7 nonconference games and having to scramble to fill those 7 slots, this year I am going to just be happy and thankful to have some basketball. ;)

2 more nonconference games are to be determined. I wonder if Fran has any more "Gonazaga" type surprises for us.

The 5 nonconference games we know of:

1. Gongaga
2. North Carolina or Louisville (B1G/ACC)
3. Iowa State

4. MTE (multi-team event): Southern (17-15 last season, 13-5 in the Southwestern Athletic Conference)

5. MTE (multi-team event): NC Central (18-13, 13-3 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)

Last edited:
Dropping Oregon St. for Gonzaga is quite the upgrade, but one I'm looking forward to assuming everyone is healthy. We both will have a few games under our belt and it will give us a clearer picture of just exactly how good we are.

Dropping Oregon St. for Gonzaga is quite the upgrade, but one I'm looking forward to assuming everyone is healthy. We both will have a few games under our belt and it will give us a clearer picture of just exactly how good we are.
No one can complain about this year's nonconference schedule, that's for sure!

Its a shame the Gavitt Games are canceled; Villanova or Creighton would have been awesome.

Will our D get stops against Gonzaga? If it does, that might be an indicator of a very special season to come.

Limited Tickets available for the Gonzaga game

EksodnqWkAQIg05

“Two of the best men’s college basketball teams in the country are going to be playing on Heritage Court and televised nationally on CBS – what more could you ask for?"

"Gonzaga has always been a team at the top of our wish list to play at the Pentagon, and Iowa is loaded with talent. I can’t say enough about these two programs and our staff for working together to make this incredible matchup happen.”

--Steve Young, president of Sanford Sports

“We are looking forward to playing against an extremely talented Iowa team. We have the utmost respect for Fran McCaffery and his program. We are excited for the opportunity to compete in the Sanford Pentagon in Sioux Falls in a nationally televised game on CBS.”

--Gonzaga head coach Mark Few

This will be the fourth meeting between Gonzaga and Iowa. The Hawkeyes won the first two contests in 1984 and 1985, while the Zags won the last meeting in the 2015 NCAA Tournament.

The full story:

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawksfor3
Iowa will definitely find out how good their defense is during this game. Gonzaga carved them up in 2015. I really thought Iowa had a decent chance of winning that game too.

Hard to win when a team shoots 61% from the field including 62% from three and our best shooters (Uthoff and Jok) go 0-6 from three.

• Haha
Reactions: TJHall1
It is pretty easy to shoot the ball well at that level when you are getting uncontested shots and layups. Iowa's defense was horrible that game.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJHall1
“Two of the best men’s college basketball teams in the country are going to be playing on Heritage Court and televised nationally on CBS – what more could you ask for?"

"Gonzaga has always been a team at the top of our wish list to play at the Pentagon, and Iowa is loaded with talent. I can’t say enough about these two programs and our staff for working together to make this incredible matchup happen.”

“We are looking forward to playing against an extremely talented Iowa team. We have the utmost respect for Fran McCaffery and his program. We are excited for the opportunity to compete in the Sanford Pentagon in Sioux Falls in a nationally televised game on CBS.”

This will be the fourth meeting between Gonzaga and Iowa. The Hawkeyes won the first two contests in 1984 and 1985, while the Zags won the last meeting in the 2015 NCAA Tournament.

The full story:

Hopefully I'm able to score some tickets. Will price gouge all the people whining about not getting tickets to anything :D

The full story:

Lot of good pub for the program here. Hopefully they live up to the hype machine thats building. I think they will with so many experienced veteran players, leading the way for some hungry young pups.....

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT