ADVERTISEMENT

School shooting at Great Mills High School in Maryland

Why is it stupid?
We as a society have decided that putting these kids out in the open to be slaughtered with out seriously doing something about it is ok. While it may not be the kids willingly doing it, it sure is the parents doing it for the kids.
You definitely fall into the second portion of my post as well. If you can't figure out, there is no reason to waste my time explaining it to you.

Outlaw all gas and recoil-operated rifles. Sale is illegal. Manufacturing for non-military is illegal. Any seen outside the home is a felony. Any use on a target outside your property line is a felony.

Nice, simple, easy. And to be clear, this has been my stance since before Columbine.

When was the last time school kids were killed in school with a hammer or club? I have never read of “the Great Shop Class Massacre” .
Jimmy M. stuck his hand in the back of the planer as it was winding down in my 7th grade shop class. He didn't realize the blades turned differently than he thought. Planed his three middle fingers to the same length so the machine did its job. There was enough blood to think there was a massacre.

CSB

Don’t let facts get in your way- fbi says more are killed with hammers and clubs than with rifles. Want to be outraged- nearly a million future classmates killed via abortion each year

You care about future children being killed in the womb, but once they're out of it you don't seem to care much less about their safety.

I don't hear many calling for a total gun ban. America will still have school shooting problem to deal with regardless of any regulation. People want smart and sensible regulation to limit the damage that can be done by semi-automatic weapons in these cases.

I love the 2A, but I can't come up with a good reason to have an AR-15.

Reactions: gohawks50
People who are tired of dead kids and want real solutions are extremists? What kind of third rate Aldis brand crack are you on?
You’re an extremist. Just like the third person I quoted. The people that want guns taken away and the people pointing to hammers/clubs killing more than rifles are the extremes. You guys are not the ones that can come up with solutions.

Va22LJ5.png

How come they don't mention this ?

You’re an extremist. Just like the third person I quoted. The people that want guns taken away and the people pointing to hammers/clubs killing more than rifles are the extremes. You guys are not the ones that can come up with solutions.
Wrong. You are the extremist. Only an extremist could watch all these kids get slaughtered and want to do nothing.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Wrong. You are the extremist. Only an extremist could watch all these kids get slaughtered and want to do nothing.
An extremist and an idiot. Did you not read any of my posts in this thread? The fact that you think gun owners are ok with kids being killed shows how unattached from reality that you are. You are not a person that is well enough to come up with viable solutions.

I'm not anti-gun at all, but I do believe something has to be changed to make guns at least somewhat more difficult to get.However, I certainly don't have all of the answers and won't pretend I do. Speaking from experience, I got a permit to carry a few months ago, and just bought a handgun at the gun show in Des Moines 2 weeks ago.

After having gone through the process, I have to say I am surprised at how insanely easy everything was. I paid $28 for an approved online course. The course involved me "watching" about an hour worth of online teaching/training videos. In reality, I let the videos play while I watched TV. After the videos, you had to pass a quiz to complete the course. The quiz consisted of 10 extremely simple ABCD multiple choice questions with, most of which had at least 2 obviously incorrect answers. I got 10 out of 10, and I have very limited previous gun experience, and didn't even pay attention to the course.

After printing my certificate of completion, I mailed in my application for a permit to carry to the polk county sheriff, along with a payment of about $50. A few weeks later my permit to carry arrived. So, after about $78, an hour spent watching TV, 5 minutes taking an easy quiz, and a few weeks, I had a permit to carry and purchase weapons.

About 2 months later, I took this permit to the gun show and bought a handgun. This only involved about 10 minutes of paperwork, and I walked out the door with my gun.

Again, I don't have the answers, and I'm not anti-gun, but this just seems way too easy to me. My main problem is the course wasn't even difficult. Any idiot or middle school age kid could pass the test. Just speaking from experience.

Reactions: luvmyhawks
An extremist and an idiot. Did you not read any of my posts in this thread? The fact that you think gun owners are ok with kids being killed shows how unattached from reality that you are. You are not a person that is well enough to come up with viable solutions.

I read your posts. You've gone out of your way to excuse guns, excuse the fact that nobody was killed, and offered no solutions beyond background checks, which is the absolute bare minimum we should do.

You don't apppear inclined to want to do anything.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I'm not anti-gun at all, but I do believe something has to be changed to make guns at least somewhat more difficult to get.However, I certainly don't have all of the answers and won't pretend I do. Speaking from experience, I got a permit to carry a few months ago, and just bought a handgun at the gun show in Des Moines 2 weeks ago.

After having gone through the process, I have to say I am surprised at how insanely easy everything was. I paid $28 for an approved online course. The course involved me "watching" about an hour worth of online teaching/training videos. In reality, I let the videos play while I watched TV. After the videos, you had to pass a quiz to complete the course. The quiz consisted of 10 extremely simple ABCD multiple choice questions with, most of which had at least 2 obviously incorrect answers. I got 10 out of 10, and I have very limited previous gun experience, and didn't even pay attention to the course.

After printing my certificate of completion, I mailed in my application for a permit to carry to the polk county sheriff, along with a payment of about $50. A few weeks later my permit to carry arrived. So, after about $78, an hour spent watching TV, 5 minutes taking an easy quiz, and a few weeks, I had a permit to carry and purchase weapons.

About 2 months later, I took this permit to the gun show and bought a handgun. This only involved about 10 minutes of paperwork, and I walked out the door with my gun.

Again, I don't have the answers, and I'm not anti-gun, but this just seems way too easy to me. My main problem is the course wasn't even difficult. Any idiot or middle school age kid could pass the test. Just speaking from experience.
Thanks for your insight. I think pushing more training is overrated. Trained people have accidents all the time. The best training you’re going to do is when you shoot your gun on your own.

As far as getting your permit. The sheriff’s department ran background checks on you and the sheriff personally signed off on you being eligible to have a concealed carry, which I’m sure you know.

After going through this process, what would you like to see to make it more difficult. Do you have any sort of record?

Reactions: Mattski
1) Yes.
2) Not exactly. I don’t think a single professional should have the power to take away or restrict your rights. That one professional could require you to go in front of a committee of professionals. They would then have the power to do so. You could also reapply every few years.

Unfortunately, I do believe that this will detour people from getting mental health they need.

3) No. Safety training has shown to not stop accidents from happening. There are plenty of instances where even law enforcement officials have had accidents.

I do believe that we could issue cards with barcodes on them like drivers licenses. You scan it and can walk out of the store. The cards would be updated instantly and could put a waiting period or a stop on the purchase. Family/friends could contact law enforcement with concerns and a stop would be put on it until that person has been cleared.

I dont understand what a buy back would solve. There are plenty of fun places that would buy them without tax payer money.

For #3, no we can’t stop all accidents from happening. What I was thinking of was yesterday reading about a 9 year old who shot his big sister in the back of the head after an argument about a video game. Kid apparently went to his parents room after they argued, got a loaded handgun from the safe and then shot his sister. A few months back a 13 year old got accidentally shot his 8/9 year old cousin in the face (somehow the kid lived). He had gotten the gun from a safe and was playing with it.

My thought with the buyback programs is to try and get some weapons off the street. I don’t know if it’s still true, but didn’t we use to have more guns than Americans?

Reactions: SWIowahawks
I read your posts. You've gone out of your way to excuse guns, excuse the fact that nobody was killed, and offered no solutions beyond background checks, which is the absolute bare minimum we should do.

You don't apppear inclined to want to do anything.
Making it more difficult to put guns in trouble peoples hands is doing nothing? I’ve said before I like what Florida did with making the age to buy an AR 21+.

But again, you’re in the extreme group that says gun owners are the ones pulling the trigger in schools and in gang violence.

Reactions: Mattski
The type of gun doesnt really matter. Kids get shot, politicians give Ts and Ps, conservatives tell us we know nothing about guns, rinse and repeat.

You forgot:

And crazy ass Dems say putting up fences and gates around the schools to protect them from maniacs won't help. But instead, spew bullshit that it somehow "turns schools into prisons". Thus, preventing anything from happening and serving up many more schools for slaughter while Dems block solutions in search of fantasy their legislation that will take years to pass.

For #3, no we can’t stop all accidents from happening. What I was thinking of was yesterday reading about a 9 year old who shot his big sister in the back of the head after an argument about a video game. Kid apparently went to his parents room after they argued, got a loaded handgun from the safe and then shot his sister. A few months back a 13 year old got accidentally shot his 8/9 year old cousin in the face (somehow the kid lived). He had gotten the gun from a safe and was playing with it.

My thought with the buyback programs is to try and get some weapons off the street. I don’t know if it’s still true, but didn’t we use to have more guns than Americans?
Wow those are awful instances. I’m not exactly sure how more training would have stopped those instances from happening though. I think the first example kind of speaks to the society we are making. A 9 year old shouldn’t be that violent over a game. If the gun wasn’t available, would he have gone for a knife?

I’m starting to get more onboard with this TV and video game notion of making lives cheap. An shoot em up movie there are dozens of people just killed and walked past as if that life had no significance. For God sakes we have had GTA where you can rape women and killed ordinary people with no second thought to it.

Thanks for your insight. I think pushing more training is overrated. Trained people have accidents all the time. The best training you’re going to do is when you shoot your gun on your own.

As far as getting your permit. The sheriff’s department ran background checks on you and the sheriff personally signed off on you being eligible to have a concealed carry, which I’m sure you know.

After going through this process, what would you like to see to make it more difficult. Do you have any sort of record?

I don't have any record.

As far as it being more difficult, I think a more interactive course with more questions and more difficulty would probably be much better. And perhaps some courses are like this. I know there are many different places you can go to get a certificate. Maybe the state/county should set guidelines on the structure and difficulty.

A course that is set up in sections that goes over one thing, and then has a short quiz before moving on to the next section would probably be better. This would require the user to actually be present for the videos and continue on. The questions could also be more difficult because they would be over one small section that is fresh in your head, rather than basic questions over the whole course. I think you should have to pass the quiz to move on to the next section. Probably 4 questions per section would be fine. Get 3 of them correct and move along.

The course I took I could have pushed play, walked away or left the house, and came back an hour later to pass the quiz without even hearing a single word of the course. This just seems way too easy, and I think a course broken down into small sections would be more interactive and could be made more difficult.

Just my 2 cents. May not have all the answers and still have loopholes, but at least it is a start

I agree. I consider myself pro-gun rights but fail to see any real reason citizens need access to some of the weapons out there today.
One of my solutions is simple. Any gun capable a certain rate of fire is illegal. I don't care what the gun looks like. If it can fire several bullets a second, it should be illegal. And magazine sizes should be less than 10.

I don't have any record.

As far as it being more difficult, I think a more interactive course with more questions and more difficulty would probably be much better. And perhaps some courses are like this. I know there are many different places you can go to get a certificate. Maybe the state/county should set guidelines on the structure and difficulty.

A course that is set up in sections that goes over one thing, and then has a short quiz before moving on to the next section would probably be better. This would require the user to actually be present for the videos and continue on. The questions could also be more difficult because they would be over one small section that is fresh in your head, rather than basic questions over the whole course. I think you should have to pass the quiz to move on to the next section. Probably 4 questions per section would be fine. Get 3 of them correct and move along.

The course I took I could have pushed play, walked away or left the house, and came back an hour later to pass the quiz without even hearing a single word of the course. This just seems way too easy, and I think a course broken down into small sections would be more interactive and could be made more difficult.

Just my 2 cents. May not have all the answers and still have loopholes, but at least it is a start
I do know that some states make you go to a fire range as part of your course. That’s not the case in Iowa. If I remember correctly, most of the questions were about laws and what or not you can do with your permit. I’m in a rural area and have been around guns my whole life so I lean towards it not being the responsibility of the course or state to make sure you’re trained.

I do think that online courses are a joke and you should be in a room with others so that you can ask questions, etc. Maybe you pass the course on what your permit means and what the law allows you to do. Then before you can purchase, you have to take a shooting course like you’ve stated.

Reactions: SquatchHawk
Wow those are awful instances. I’m not exactly sure how more training would have stopped those instances from happening though. I think the first example kind of speaks to the society we are making. A 9 year old shouldn’t be that violent over a game. If the gun wasn’t available, would he have gone for a knife?

I’m starting to get more onboard with this TV and video game notion of making lives cheap. An shoot em up movie there are dozens of people just killed and walked past as if that life had no significance. For God sakes we have had GTA where you can rape women and killed ordinary people with no second thought to it.

Sorry, but I complete disagree with the video game angle. In my opinion, that is just an excuse people use to shift blame to someone else.

I am 23, so I grew up when video games were common. My friends and I have played multiple GTA games, RDR (GTA but Wild West), and tons of war games. Video games do not cause normal people to act violently. I can "murder" hundreds of people in GTA, and walk away and be completely fine.

Again in my opinion, the video game angle is a garbage excuse to blame gun violence on something other than guns. Video games do not cause change in any normal people. People who commit mass murders do it because they are messed up in the head, not because they play Call of Duty. Look at the Vegas shooter. I highly doubt that old guy played any video games.

However, I do not disagree that video games do cause some problems in today's youth. However, those problems are mostly laziness and choosing to play games rather than go outside. I was over at family's house, and the son was literally squatting, playing on his phone, while his cousins played basketball literally around him. Many kids today are too stuck to technology.

One of my solutions is simple. Any gun capable a certain rate of fire is illegal. I don't care what the gun looks like. If it can fire several bullets a second, it should be illegal. And magazine sizes should be less than 10.
So no semi automatic weapons at all?

Sorry, but I complete disagree with the video game angle. In my opinion, that is just an excuse people use to shift blame to someone else.

I am 23, so I grew up when video games were common. My friends and I have played multiple GTA games, RDR (GTA but Wild West), and tons of war games. Video games do not cause normal people to act violently. I can "murder" hundreds of people in GTA, and walk away and be completely fine.

Again in my opinion, the video game angle is a garbage excuse to blame gun violence on something other than guns. Video games do not cause change in any normal people. People who commit mass murders do it because they are messed up in the head, not because they play Call of Duty. Look at the Vegas shooter. I highly doubt that old guy played any video games.

However, I do not disagree that video games do cause some problems in today's youth. However, those problems are mostly laziness and choosing to play games rather than go outside. I was over at family's house, and the son was literally squatting, playing on his phone, while his cousins played basketball literally around him. Many kids today are too stuck to technology.
I don’t think video games make kids violent. Not normal well minded kids. I played a lot of GTA and COD as well. I’m thinking more along the lines of kids/adults already with violent tendencies. I think it’s possible to think that already mentally unstable people can play that stuff all the time and kind of get lost in the reality of it.

I look at these and wonder how much thought people (especially with kids) put into storing their weapons. To me, part of a training course should cover the best ways to secure weapons. While not perfect, 9 year olds should not be able to access the parents safe and I would think it’s also a very bad idea to store loaded weapons. Those are some of the things people should be trained on.

I look at these and wonder how much thought people (especially with kids) put into storing their weapons. To me, part of a training course should cover the best ways to secure weapons. While not perfect, 9 year olds should not be able to access the parents safe and I would think it’s also a very bad idea to store loaded weapons. Those are some of the things people should be trained on.
I agree. Did the kid know the safe code? I don’t understand that one. I have a 13 year old daughter who lives with my wife and I part time. I have taken her out and allowed her to handle and shoot my guns.

I travel for work and stay away from home so my wife wanted a loaded handgun in the dresser next to the bed. Once my youngest daughter started walking, we have moved it to a much higher location. Still trying to plan out what our next step will be in a few years. We will probably be buying a safe to go somewhere in our master bedroom just for the handgun.

My other guns are locked in a safe in the garage.

I do know that some states make you go to a fire range as part of your course. That’s not the case in Iowa. If I remember correctly, most of the questions were about laws and what or not you can do with your permit. I’m in a rural area and have been around guns my whole life so I lean towards it not being the responsibility of the course or state to make sure you’re trained.

I do think that online courses are a joke and you should be in a room with others so that you can ask questions, etc. Maybe you pass the course on what your permit means and what the law allows you to do. Then before you can purchase, you have to take a shooting course like you’ve stated.

I would agree with having to pass a shooting course. Maybe not having to be an excellent shot right off the bat, but at prove you can handle the gun safely and not accidentally discharge it and know how it works. This could be something to go over when purchasing the gun. Perhaps when buying the gun it can be mandatory the dealer goes over the safety features and how to work the gun, similar to a pharmacist when picking up a prescription. I'm not saying to take an hour, but take a few minutes and show where the safety is, show how to load/unload, take apart and clean the gun, and answer any questions and show any other features. Ideally, this would already be done before purchasing, but at busy places like gun shows it often isn't. And if a customer is already very experienced in firearms, they can sign a waiver saying they already know how to use the gun and don't need to go over it.

And when this occurs, and one of your slower firing, 10 rd mag guns is used in a school shooting which it inevitably will be, what will your next suggestion be?

I would agree with having to pass a shooting course. Maybe not having to be an excellent shot right off the bat, but at prove you can handle the gun safely and not accidentally discharge it and know how it works. This could be something to go over when purchasing the gun. Perhaps when buying the gun it can be mandatory the dealer goes over the safety features and how to work the gun, similar to a pharmacist when picking up a prescription. I'm not saying to take an hour, but take a few minutes and show where the safety is, show how to load/unload, take apart and clean the gun, and answer any questions and show any other features. Ideally, this would already be done before purchasing, but at busy places like gun shows it often isn't. And if a customer is already very experienced in firearms, they can sign a waiver saying they already know how to use the gun and don't need to go over it.
Why? Seriously why are we talking about safety courses and shooting proficiency bs? This issue isn't about gun safety or adults missing their intended targets and accidentally killing someone. Mentally ill people, and kids with horrible upbringings are getting their hands on guns and killing people bc they're broken human beings. Requiring everyone to take detailed classes and shoot accurately has absolutely zero bearing on gun crime and mass shootings.

Why? Seriously why are we talking about safety courses and shooting proficiency bs? This issue isn't about gun safety or adults missing their intended targets and accidentally killing someone. Mentally ill people, and kids with horrible upbringings are getting their hands on guns and killing people bc they're broken human beings. Requiring everyone to take detailed classes and shoot accurately has absolutely zero bearing on gun crime and mass shootings.

Never said it would have an effect on mass shootings. In fact, my entire original post had nothing to do with mass shootings. I was simply speaking from experience. However if you want to go there, harder courses would help keeps some guns out of the hands of complete morons. I already stated people commit mass murders because they are messed up in the head in a previous post.

I just hope background checks are strong enough to prevent people like Huey Grey from getting a gun.

Have we done any serious things to keep schools from being shot up?
Are we sending kids to school everyday?
These questions have nothing to do with my response (that you quoted) to a previous post saying gun nuts are slaughtering these kids. That's the stupid part; but you cruised right over that ridiculous statement.

Now if you want to discuss the topics you stated fine.

We haven't done enough by far; but blaming legal gun owners is not the answer and not going to garner much or any support from those that support the 2nd.

The more the "Gun Grabbers" go after legal law abiding gun owners; the more they are going to resist. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

We haven't done enough by far; but blaming legal gun owners is not the answer and not going to garner much or any support from those that support the 2nd.

The more the "Gun Grabbers" go after legal law abiding gun owners; the more they are going to resist. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.
Link to me stating I want to take away guns from gun owners?

Actually, gun safety courses can have some impact on people who don't know any better properly securing their weapons.....thereby making it harder for some of these people to get their hands on them.

Reactions: sober_teacher
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT