ADVERTISEMENT

School's out forever: Arizona moves "to kill public education" with new universal voucher law

Morrison71

HR Legend
Nov 10, 2006
Last Friday, while the country reeled from the Supreme Court overturning Roe v Wade, Arizona made history of a different sort. Legislators in the Grand Canyon State passed a universal school voucher bill that, once signed by Gov. Doug Ducey, will become the most wide-reaching school privatization plan in the country.

In his January State of the State address, Ducey called on Arizona lawmakers to send him bills that would "expand school choice any way we can," and the Republican-dominated legislature obliged, delivering last Friday's bill, which will open a preexisting program for Empowerment Scholarship Accounts (ESAs) up to the entire state. In practice, the law will now give parents who opt out of public schools a debit card for roughly $7,000 per child that can be used to pay for private school tuition, but also for much more: for religious schools, homeschool expenses, tutoring, online classes, education supplies and fees associated with "microschools," in which small groups of parents pool resources to hire teachers.

Republicans have continually gone out of their way to undermine and erode the public school system since they haven't been able to completely bend it to their will, plus they know that better educated people statistically vote against them.

This isn’t a strategy to help people in need. It is a strategy to hurt a specific system/public service that is already under-funded. Thankful enough rural legislators in Iowa listened to their constituents so the similar bill was stopped last session (until next year).

This isn’t a strategy to help people in need. It is a strategy to hurt a specific system/public service that is already under-funded. Thankful enough rural legislators in Iowa listened to their constituents so the similar bill was stopped last session (until next year).
Reynolds backed opponents to Republican incumbents who were not onboard with her plan to give public money to private schools. Those opponents won. Of all the possible issues, that what the litmus test. So now our sitting governor and the Republican party are running on a platform of open hostility to public education, and they will win (and probably bigly).

Reactions: Tom Paris
Forever?!!

I bet OP you got all excited every Winter Break when told not to come back to school until next year.

;)

Forever?!!
[just in case]

School's Out
Alice Cooper

Well, we got no choice
All the girls and boys
Makin' all that noise
'Cause they found new toys
Well, we can't salute ya can't find a flag
If that don't suit ya that's a drag

School's out for summer
School's out forever
School's been blown to pieces

No more pencils, no more books
No more teacher's dirty looks yeah!

Well, we got no class
And we got no principals
And we got no innocence
We can't even think of a word that rhymes

School's out for summer
School's out forever
My school's been blown to pieces

No more pencils, no more books
No more teacher's dirty looks
Out for summer
Out 'til fall
We might not come back at all

School's out forever
School's out for summer
School's out with fever
School's out completely

• Haha
Reactions: SoonerBeAHawk
[more from the OP link]

"I think it's a very serious mistake and the result will be that, within a decade, Arizona will have a very, very poorly educated adult population," added Carol Corbett Burris, executive director of the Network for Public Education. "Maybe that's the game."

Of course that's the game.

In 2006, just a few years after DeVos infamously called on conservative Christians to adopt "school choice" as a cause and a means of "greater Kingdom gain," Arizona passed two voucher programs. But three years later, both were found to be unconstitutional means of redirecting public funds to private schools.

Reactions: globalhawk
Here I was, just trying to make a funny.

And now I have the Omnipotent, Omnipresent, Omnidoofus ... GLOBALhawk on my a$$.

Why couldn't you just play along like uber leftist WWJD did? Sniff ... sob ... sob
Haha. Sooner. What is the social agenda of public schools?

Haha. Sooner. What is the social agenda of public schools?
Well, I can't answer that succinctly enough now nor do I have the inclination to even start in on it.

But it's not an outrageous claim at all, perhaps research it on your own if you feel lacking in knowledge.

Hey, are you a teacher btw? Just curious.

Well, I can't answer that succinctly enough now nor do I have the inclination to even start in on it.

But it's not an outrageous claim at all, perhaps research it on your own if you feel lacking in knowledge.

Hey, are you a teacher btw? Just curious.
You made the claim that taxpayer money should be allowed to go to private schools because of public school agenda. What is the agenda? I can just throw crap against a wall as well. Not a teacher.

Reactions: littlez
You made the claim that taxpayer money should be allowed to go to private schools because of public school agenda. What is the agenda? I can just throw crap against a wall as well. Not a teacher.
Dude, lots of people are upset with stuff outside the Three Rs, so to speak, that is being foisted upon their kids. The VA Governor's race gives evidence to this.

Why is it so important to you that education be monopolized by one system? What are you so afraid of?

Dude, lots of people are upset with stuff outside the Three Rs, so to speak, that is being foisted upon their kids. The VA Governor's race gives evidence to this.

Why is it so important to you that education be monopolized by one system? What are you so afraid of?
The BS that is reportedly happening in school. I would really love for you to provide me with the a link from what was actually being forced on students in Virginia. Was it CRT?

Private schools don't deserve public school money. I don't pay taxes for a kid to go to West Des Moines Dowling.

The BS that is reportedly happening in school. I would really love for you to provide me with the a link from what was actually being forced on students in Virginia. Was it CRT?

Private schools don't deserve public school money. I don't pay taxes for a kid to go to West Des Moines Dowling.
Yeah, I think parents were unhappy about that, despite the insistence of some that it wasn't happening. Guess enough parents didn't believe 'em.

Public schools need some accountability. Stop being so servile to the system.

Gotta sign off (wife limits my screen time). We'll find something sooner or later to agree about. Have a nice 4th weekend ... dirtbag 😄.

Reactions: CaboKP
Yeah, I think parents were unhappy about that, despite the insistence of some that it wasn't happening. Guess enough parents didn't believe 'em.

Public schools need some accountability. Stop being so servile to the system.

Gotta sign off (wife limits my screen time). We'll find something sooner or later to agree about. Have a nice 4th weekend ... dirtbag 😄.
Can't find an answer. Got to leave.

Reactions: littlez and cjr1310
I’m sure this excites all the people who have moved in from California. Come to Arizona for the cheaper COL and lower taxes, stay for the mega drought and the Cyber Ninja legislature.

I can see it now, pop up private schools everywhere to take all the fleeing snowflakes kids, but there will be supplemental payments for your new subpar education and then when the profits are gone, so is the school and the citizens again will have no other alternative than their local public school but by then it will be in a shambles. This BS is straight out of Betsy DeVos playbook, y’all know her, she married into the greatest legal pyramid scheme known to man, Amway. Now she and her cronies have convinced dumdums like Kimmie that this will be to he next greatest thing for education, but it’s just another grift to all of them. Any idiot who can’t see through this ridiculous scam should just kill themselves because their brain is already dead.

#1 unless they are playing by the same rules and have the day accountability this topic is useless.
I’m sorry, are you suggesting the private schools will take the money and not accept all students regardless of special needs or background?

The republicans and some of the posters here are lazy. Go to your local school district and ask to see the curriculum. I bet 0% have done that. Republicans live off of fear. It’s easier to actually think something than know something.

As far as Arizona, first that’s one f-ed up state. Second, I bet those same parents that pull their kid out of public schools will still want their little Precious to be on the school’s football team or in the orchestra or want them to attend prom. Screw them. Take your debit card and rent the VFW , buy some balloons and Trump banners and have their special night that way.

Reactions: ft254 and gohawks50

Just a correction, lots of people were upset with stuff they were told was being foisted upon their kids. 90% of which or more was false.

But hey, got to scare the voters…

ADVERTISEMENT